Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion or Fallout 3 - which to buy?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Parser

I didn't like Fallout 3.

I prefer the green lush setting of Oblivion more than Fallout 3's post apocalyptic landscapes and textures.

I found the atmosphere of Oblivion better too, just galloping along the countryside with a beautiful sound track playing in the background was a pleasure.

When I reached the exit of the vault into the open world of Fallout 3 I asked myself was I really bothered doing all of those quests and side quests that lay ahead of me and I just really wasn't. I hadn't played the Fallout series before so I really didn't know anything about anything or what or why things were the way they were.

Also, VATS is ****.

I'm just more a fan of the Elder Scrolls (started off with Daggerfall.) so there's my useless input.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

By far prefer Fallout. Little variety in the settings, and the central plot pacing needed more thought, to be fair, but I've no real interest in fantasy settings. I feel like I've done it all before.

I only really picked up Oblivion as a Fallout nicotine patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Eh, I found Fallout to get a bit monotonous after a while. The never ending brown wasteland got somewhat repetive imo.

I'd go with Oblivion over Fallout. There's a huge amount to do in Oblivion, kept me occupied for God knows how long.

I'd reccoment getting the GOTY edition too because it comes with the Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine add ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,932 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

oblivions great but im a bit fatigued. its all grassland and everywhere you go its like yep,theres another gate. or gave. or random critter thats hellbent on killing you for no reason. its a good game. great even. but exploring the countryside has gotten very tiresome. I probably had a lot more fun before i figured out how to fast travel, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Overheal wrote: »
    oblivions great but im a bit fatigued. its all grassland and everywhere you go its like yep,theres another gate. or gave.
    or random critter thats hellbent on killing you for no reason.
    its a good game. great even. but exploring the countryside has gotten very tiresome. I probably had a lot more fun before i figured out how to fast travel, too.

That happens in Fallout as well though. ;) Many a time have I loathed being attacked by an overgrown house fly, aka the Bloatfly. Much like the infamous mudcrab in oblivion. :D

• Advertisement

**** mudcrabs. mudcrabs have sense to leave me alone. its bears and wolves. they dont realise I have a sword on my that can kill them in one blow, but no, they still insist on cheesing me off, stopping me from being able to rest, or fast travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

both brilliant games but i reckon fallout is better

• Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I want to buy Oblivion but all the places that had it for 10 pounds are sold out and I am too cheap to pay 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Helix wrote: »
    oblivion > fallout for me
    Vyse wrote: »
    Seconded, ...

Thirded. I've pumped well over 1000 hrs into Oblivion. Only (!) 100 into Fallout 3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I prefer Oblivion, but only if its a heavily modified version of Oblivion. Once the good mods for Fallout come out, i may reconsider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rogers4815

I have to say, i got into Oblivion a lot more than i did Fallout! I played Oblivion first mind you but i always thought it was much better than Fallout regardless!

I've gotten engrossed in the amount of side quests in Oblivion! Think i have 90 hours of gameplay and haven't come close to finishing the main storyline! It's a great game and i'd recommend it over Fallout any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Fallout FTW.

There is nothing in oblivion that made me want to keep playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd recommend Fallout 3 although i also have Oblivion and loved it. You should probably get both to be honest.

The Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition will be out in a few months and might be worth waiting for so you can get all the DLC as well.

You could probably pick up the Oblivion Game of the Year version for cheap now as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Kiith wrote: »
    I prefer Oblivion, but only if its a heavily modified version of Oblivion. Once the good mods for Fallout come out, i may reconsider.

By the looks of it, the modding scene for The Elder Scrolls is much stronger in general.

It came and went. I mean, it may still be going strong, but Fallout is spanking new. Oblivion has been out years. The amount of available material out there is craze. But a good few mods dont recognize the steam version and so wont run. Which makes me a sad panda, mostly.

Thank god though for the steam ingame web browser. the UESP site has been most exeptionally helpful in my journeys across Tamriel. Just another bonus of playing a games years after launch :) it would be a while before a fallout wiki could become so richly detailed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Oh this reminds me - many people who bought Oblivion on Steam believe that it is impossible to use a number of mods.

This is no longer the case, read the following for instructions:
    1) Make sure you have received the latest update, we just updated on Steam about 30 minutes ago to make our binary more compatible with OBSE. Restart Steam if you are unsure and you should get updated. If you've replaced your binary with some non-Steam version you'll want to make sure it updates and you are on the new Steam shipped version.

2) Install OBSE into your steamapps\common\oblivion directory as you normally would

2) Get this file: http://media.steampowered.com/content/obse_loader.zip, and extract the obse_loader.exe over the top of the one from the standard OBSE install in your oblivion folder.

3) Run obse_loader.exe and everything should now work (you'll get passed through the loader first, just hit play).

I've contacted the OBSE guys so we can hopefully get our revisions to obse_loader added into the official OBSE package. Until then if you would like the source for the changes for obse_loader to compile yourself email me at jmccaskey at valvesoftware.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

There is a twin pack coming out for the Xbox360 and PC next week,it will be Bioshock and Oblivion in one for €35 for Xbox360 and €20 for PC.

http://www.toys.ie/Shop_Product_List.aspx?Profile=Euro&query=Bioshock

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

Steam currently have Fallout 3 (PC) for €22.49, normally €44.99. Not a bad deal.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22300/

Oh this reminds me - many people who bought Oblivion on Steam believe that it is impossible to use a number of mods.

This is no longer the case, read the following for instructions:
    ill try that later. thanks~!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I would have gotten Twilight Princess tbh. If only to justify the purchase of the Wii ;)

But it's a great game and I personally think that Oblivion is a horrid version of Morrowind and Fallout 3 is a horrid version of the previous Fallout games (Fallout:Tactics excluded).

Maybe thats just me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Both were major letdowns but more so fallout as it had 2 sequels to build upon.Oblivion gates were tedious but was probably a more involving game.

Ivan wrote: »
    I would have gotten Twilight Princess tbh. If only to justify the purchase of the Wii ;)

But it's a great game and I personally think that Oblivion is a horrid version of Morrowind and Fallout 3 is a horrid version of the previous Fallout games (Fallout:Tactics excluded).

Maybe thats just me...
    Its ok Ivan. You're just a big Retrosexual at heart <3

Advertisement