Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Muse

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Is Hullabaloo worth listening to or just a stopgap?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is Hullabaloo worth listening to or just a stopgap?

The Hullabaloo DVD is imo a million times better than the Wembley one. The gig is more raw and there are some old classics that are no longer played live.

The versions of Dead Star and In Your World are epic, and the extra CD has Map of Your Head on it which is both cheesey and excellent.

Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

is the standing allready sold out ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tarka

One of my favourite moments ever at a gig was Muse/The Point 06 when one of the balloons that came down during Bliss found its way onto the stage during Citizen Erased, and just at the part where Matt's playing the riff solo, he looked at it and drives his headstock into it at the moment the drums and bass came crashing in all drums blazing. 'mazing.
    Hope they really mix up their setlist on this tour, throw in some of the lesser-played classics along with the new stuff. The Point 06/Oxegen 07/Marlay Park 08 setlists were around 90% identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Hullabaloo DVD is imo a million times better than the Wembley one. The gig is more raw and there are some old classics that are no longer played live.

The versions of Dead Star and In Your World are epic, and the extra CD has Map of Your Head on it which is both cheesey and excellent.

Well worth a listen.

This is all correct!

Remember seeing them a good few times in 2001, once at Witnness when they were delayed coming onstage because of the torrential rain and thunder and lightning (amazing gig, opened with MicroCuts, closed with New Born).

Also saw em in a tent in Cork and Galway in June of that year supporting Ash - was a week before the release of OOS but the new songs already sounded like classics. They also played stuff off showbiz which rarely got live airings (Sober, Escape, Overdue).

Best of all was when they supported Elastica in the TBMC in 2000 - most of the crowd f*cked off after seeing Muse, there must've been about 25 people left to watch Elastica! :D

To this day it's the best gig I've ever been to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I used to be a Muse fan, but I don't get it anymore. It seems kinda lazy now. Matt Bellamy's super super talented, I don't get why he keeps leaning on that faux-metal crutch. He could be writing symphonies.

And don't get me started on that stupid Fuzz Factory he put inside his guitar :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I used to be a Muse fan, but I don't get it anymore. It seems kinda lazy now. Matt Bellamy's super super talented, I don't get why he keeps leaning on that faux-metal crutch. He could be writing symphonies.

And don't get me started on that stupid Fuzz Factory he put inside his guitar :mad:

Faux-metal? Wut? And he's had that Fuzz Factory for aaaaages, it's part of their sound. Unless you mean the Kaoss Pad thing, which is actually really cool and has a lot of potential once he gets over the widdly widdly urges a la SMBH on the Wembley dvd :P

And as for writing symphonies, there will be a three-part piece with an orchestra on the new album so we shall see!

MattBellamy.jpg

I want those kecks

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Faux-metal? Wut? And he's had that Fuzz Factory for aaaaages, it's part of their sound. Unless you mean the Kaoss Pad thing, which is actually really cool and has a lot of potential once he gets over the widdly widdly urges a la SMBH on the Wembley dvd :P

And as for writing symphonies, there will be a three-part piece with an orchestra on the new album so we shall see!

No, I meant the Fuzz Factory. It's a nice fuzz pedal, yes, but the whole aimless-oscillation-for-five-minutes before Plug In Baby or something really wrecks my head. (Speaking as a guitarist who likes to make noise), there are hundreds of different ways to make noise which are constructive and somewhat intelligent, but the Fuzz Factory "trick" he does is moronic.

Yeah, the Kaoss Pad is pretty cool sometimes, I saw a video where he was using the KP to double his voice, which sounded cool.

When I say faux-metal, I mean the way he can play stuff like the piano solo in Butterflies and Hurricanes, so he's obviously been studying music his whole life, he probably knows everything about everything in music, and he STILL just churns out riffs and solos and stadium glam rock. Surely a pianist trained to that standard should have more depth?

No, I meant the Fuzz Factory. It's a nice fuzz pedal, yes, but the whole aimless-oscillation-for-five-minutes before Plug In Baby or something really wrecks my head. (Speaking as a guitarist who likes to make noise), there are hundreds of different ways to make noise which are constructive and somewhat intelligent, but the Fuzz Factory "trick" he does is moronic.

Yeah, the Kaoss Pad is pretty cool sometimes, I saw a video where he was using the KP to double his voice, which sounded cool.

When I say faux-metal, I mean the way he can play stuff like the piano solo in Butterflies and Hurricanes, so he's obviously been studying music his whole life, he probably knows everything about everything in music, and he STILL just churns out riffs and solos and stadium glam rock. Surely a pianist trained to that standard should have more depth?

He's completely self-taught, never had a music lesson in his life.

He was a bit of a scumbag when he was 15/16/17, wore tracksuits, robbed cars, burgled houses- then he re-invented himself :D

• Advertisement

He's completely self-taught, never had a music lesson in his life.

**** off, seriously?? That piano-playing is the stuff of prodigy. The guy's obviously a genius. Which makes it more annoying to me that he makes, imo, crap lazy music :p

Serious serious respect for his skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I really really hope they start playing Citizen Erased a bit more live. Such a criminally underrated song.

**** off, seriously?? That piano-playing is the stuff of prodigy. The guy's obviously a genius. Which makes it more annoying to me that he makes, imo, crap lazy music :p

Serious serious respect for his skills.

Aye, his Mum was a Tarot reader, had him listening to the likes of Berlioz and Rachmaninov from an early age, which is where he developed the interest in classical music. His dad was in a 60's rock band called The Tornado's, so that's probably where he got his interest in guitar.
    Daysha wrote: »
    I really really hope they start playing Citizen Erased a bit more live. Such a criminally underrated song.

Yup, I agree, they didn't even play it at Marlay Park last year. They tend to alter the setlist on most tours so I'm sure it'll return on the next one, along with some of Showbiz hopefully (they didn't play ONE song off Showbiz @ Marlay in August :( )

Aye, his Mum was a Tarot reader, had him listening to the likes of Berlioz and Rachmaninov from an early age, which is where he developed the interest in classical music. His dad was in a 60's rock band called The Tornado's, so that's probably where he got his interest in guitar.

There's more than a pinch of Rach in Butterflies and Hurricanes, alright

There's more than a pinch of Rach in Butterflies and Hurricanes, alright

Yup, both composers influence 'Space Dementia' too if you listen closely enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

the first time they played it in 2000 with JJ72 though!

They were supported by JJ72?? I was just listening to them today, I'd say that was a great gig!

They were supported by JJ72?? I was just listening to them today, I'd say that was a great gig!

Yep. Well sort've. It was a poxy weekend for weather and JJ72's gear got stuck in London so lead singer Mark Greaney had to borrow an acoustic guitar from Matt Bellamy and played a solo acoustic set.

For most of 2001 though, JJ72 were the main support band to Muse throughout Europe and The States.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It was the support band JJ72 who lost their gear and played an acoustic set, Muse were fully electric that night and blew the roof off the place- best gig I've ever seen in the Olympia!
    Did they not insert an acoustic section into the setlist that night? I remember being slightly disappointed because of the pacing of the show. It was still a pretty impressive show all the same.

I remember being blown away the first time I heard the OOS material at Reading 2000. That was a cracking gig.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Did they not insert an acoustic section into the setlist that night? I remember being slightly disappointed because of the pacing of the show. It was still a pretty impressive show all the same.

I remember being blown away the first time I heard the OOS material at Reading 2000. That was a cracking gig.

They did indeed - 'Unintended', 'Screenager', 'Natural Disaster/Nature_One' and 'Hate This & I'll Love You' from what I remember.

**** that was an incredible gig! Kicked off with Uno, blasted into Sunburn and Sober, then the acoustic set appeared out of nowhere! Not a big fan of acoustic sets but that one was deadly!

So i wasn't imagining it.

I didn't like the way they did that tbh. After a fantastic opening I thought that part of the gig was a bit too dragged out.

It could be that I was rather drunk and full of beans though.

• Advertisement

So i wasn't imagining it.

I didn't like the way they did that tbh. After a fantastic opening I thought that part of the gig was a bit too dragged out.

It could be that I was rather drunk and full of beans though.

I was off my face on adrenaline, it was unreal! I was only 14/15 at the time and it was one of the greatest spectacles I had ever witnessed at that point!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Langer Dan

Think they're pretty awful tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Isn't the album out in September? Which is even better. An epic like USoE sounds truly brilliant.

As for the gig in November....really looking forward to it. Citizen Erased will hopefully make a return. Dead Star again would be quite impressive. Can see some of BH&R being removed from the set. Only seen them 3 times, bit of a toss-up between Marlay and Rock Werchter. All great outings though!

Mushy wrote: »
    Isn't the album out in September? Which is even better. An epic like USoE sounds truly brilliant.

As for the gig in November....really looking forward to it. Citizen Erased will hopefully make a return. Dead Star again would be quite impressive. Can see some of BH&R being removed from the set. Only seen them 3 times, bit of a toss-up between Marlay and Rock Werchter. All great outings though!

Nah, to be honest, if any album is gonna miss out, it'll be Absolution (Can see only Hysteria & Time Is Running Out getting an airing), while BH&R will still get Starlight, SuperMassive BlackHole, Map of the Promlematique and probably Invincible.

I really hope they play some stuff off Showbiz, it seems ages since I've heard anything from it live (Unintended doesn't count!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nah, to be honest, if any album is gonna miss out, it'll be Absolution (Can see only Hysteria & Time Is Running Out getting an airing), while BH&R will still get Starlight, SuperMassive BlackHole, Map of the Promlematique and probably Invincible.

I really hope they play some stuff off Showbiz, it seems ages since I've heard anything from it live (Unintended doesn't count!)

Stockholm Syndrome has to be played...they have way too many staple songs for a live set. They should have no support, and play for 3 hours so rarer songs can be played:D Heard Sunburn in Belgium in 07, very very very sweet. Something tells me Muscle Museum will get an airing this time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭budgemook

Knights of Cyadonia will prob get a run out. Hope they play Citizen Erased, seen them 4 times and they never played it the feckers ;-)

Saw them do sunburn alright, was wicked. Best gig i saw them at was earls court in London. I was at the front, Matt came out with a video camera and i was roaring like a lunatic into it. what a night. Anyone else there that night? it was probably Nov04 - after absolution was released, they played 2 nights in earls court.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There are plenty of permanent fixtures on the setlist -

New Born
    Plug In Baby
    Stockholm Syndrome
    Time Is Running Out
    Hysteria
    Knights of Cydonia
    Starlight
    Invincible
    Map of the Problematique

All of those are sure to be played on the tour imo. To go with them I'd love -

Muscle Museum
    Unintended
    Sunburn
    Citizen Erased
    Bliss
    Dead Star
    In Your World
    Butterflies and Hurricanes

and then another 4 or 5 from the likes of Fury, Feeling Good, Showbiz etc.

(Plus the new album obviously. A 30-song set will do! :D)

'Uno' needs to return to the setlist - absolutely incredible live. Ditto Fillip and Cave.

Don't see it happening though :(

I hate when they play Showbiz tunes at their shows. I can't listen to that album anymore.

• Advertisement

I hate when they play Showbiz tunes at their shows. I can't listen to that album anymore.

Seriously? :eek:

It's still my favourite Muse album

Advertisement