Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work??? Feck that.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

the government has inflated dole so much it doesn't make sense not to avail of it. Make hay while the sun shines and all that. Its £60 in the UK and 205 euro here, alot of welfare boys have been getting fat over the years and it's about time someone brings it down. Salarys are getting cut everywhere so why shouldn't the dole?

We've all been asleep for the last few years and are only waking up to the cushy number we've been paying for. Its morally irresponsible to pay tax to support such high standards and thats something we're all guilty of.

There is a lot of misconception about the social welfare payments in ireland in comparison to the Uk and I think it is sheer Intellectual laziness just to join the bandwagon that consistently spreads this falsehood.

People just compare the rates in nominal terms without putting into consideration the whole package.In the UK ,every recipient of Jobseekers allowance does not put a dime towards their rent under the housing benefit scheme (it is paid totally by the government) and we all know this is a large expense on most peoples budget.Every child that these people have recieve free mik till they are 5 years old,they have a functional jobcentre unlike the farce(FAS) we have in ireland,they have comparatively excellent transport networks,so people spend far less in the Uk moving from point A to B.Unlike Ireland where you have to be working to get FIS,even unemployed families can qualify for Child credits apart from the normal Child benefits they recieve.

If it was so damn irresistible here,thousands of Irish people on the dole in the UK would have moved here a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

What??? Sometimes I wonder about our race...

WTF are you talking about? How the hell do you think she go to an interview stage? She went to buy a loaf of bread and got offered an interview???
    She went for a job, got it, then refused it. She then continued to claim social welfare on the basis that she could not get a job and was actively seeking employment.

Who are you to judge? GTFO...

I am one of the many people in this country who pays tax and prsi that contributes to this persons "job seekers" allowance

Black Lead wrote: »
    How I am a freeloader ? My employer wouldn't give me the hours I needed and the dole office wouldn't help me either because I was working more than 3 days.

I have bills to pay and if unemployment helps me more than employment then I'll be unemployed and there is allot of people in this positon, the social welfare system needs to be overhauled starting with getting rid of the 3 day week and have it based on hours rather than days.
    You are a freeloader because despite the fact that you were offered employment you decided that sitting on your arse was a better option. Job seekers isn't a benchmark of how much you should get paid in normal circumstances and as such should not be treated as a minimum salary threshold.
    If you had taken that job you would now have more experience making it easier to get another job, you would be continually upskilling and maybe you would have got more hours, or more pay, but you took the lazy option and decided to stay home and watch jeremy kyle all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Black Lead

Relevant wrote: »
    You are a freeloader because despite the fact that you were offered employment you decided that sitting on your arse was a better option. Job seekers isn't a benchmark of how much you should get paid in normal circumstances and as such should not be treated as a minimum salary threshold.
    If you had taken that job you would now have more experience making it easier to get another job, you would be continually upskilling and maybe you would have got more hours, or more pay, but you took the lazy option and decided to stay home and watch jeremy kyle all day

Yawn , You would do the same if you were in my position

Yawn
    Typical apathetic response i'd expect from a lazy freeloader

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Such rubbish.

The types of people on the dole these days, include a lot of solicitors, accountants, financial, engineers, IT, etc. How is getting a job in Burger King going to "continually upskill" them. ROFL!

They would be much better off doing certs and extra qualifications in their industry (which is allowed while on the dole, it's considered a step towards seeking employment) and REALLY upskilling themselves while staying on the dole.

Why should someone who went to college for 4 years to better themselves (and the country, high-skilled workforce is good for the economy), gained 2 or 3 years experience in their industry after college (while paying THOUSANDS in PRSI - which is SOCIAL INSURANCE FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE), be denied the dole (which they paid PRSI for) and forced to take a job completely irrelevant to their skills, qualifications and experience? Make all our engineers, solicitors, accountants, financial and IT people into burger-flippers? What good is that going to do? Well?

jape wrote: »
    Such rubbish.

The types of people on the dole these days, include a lot of solicitors, accountants, financial, engineers, IT, etc. How is getting a job in Burger King going to "continually upskill" them. ROFL!

They would be much better off doing certs and extra qualifications in their industry (which is allowed while on the dole, it's considered a step towards seeking employment) and REALLY upskilling themselves while staying on the dole.

Why should someone who went to college for 4 years to better themselves (and the country, high-skilled workforce is good for the economy), gained 2 or 3 years experience in their industry after college (while paying THOUSANDS in PRSI - which is SOCIAL INSURANCE FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE), be denied the dole (which they paid PRSI for) and forced to take a job completely irrelevant to their skills, qualifications and experience? Make all our engineers, solicitors, accountants, financial and IT people into burger-flippers? What good is that going to do? Well?

Black Lead said that his employer could not give him the hours, implying that he was already there. He didnt refuse the job on the basis of it not being suited to his skills or because he was overqualified, he refused it because he could get more money on the dole

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Typical apathetic response i'd expect from a lazy freeloader

Banned for abuse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Wertz wrote: »
    WTF? Hypothetical single mothers?
    ...have you idiots even read the OP? She is married/co-habiting with no kids and a relatively new car sitting in the drive way, and can't be f*cking arsed to work for "an extra €50 a week".
    Any one trying to defend that as being a rational financial decision has a lot of growing up to do. Thta's called letting someone else take responsibility for your keep...in this case, the taxpayer.

You're calling izzywizzy out on her decision to work for relatively low pay re; qualifications, and try to contribute to both her own keep and her keep to the country through taxes...as far as I'm aware she isn't even Irish, but yet she's shown more social responsibility than most Irish people on here defending this scrounging c*nt in Donegal...
    Seems a lot of people have some growing up to do, and a lot to learn about the realities of work and pay...

Banned for abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

try paying more then min wage,DO YOU have any idea what its like to survive on under 10 euro per hour,travel,food,rent and if you have kids your f***ed you cant survive on that.Imagine working 40 hours and been in debth because it, not very nice.ive worked construction for the last 20 years,machine driver i have 3 kids celtic tiger my arse.PUT A BIT MORE THOUGHT INTO YOUR EMPLOYEES AND NOT YOUR BANK ACC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Iamxavier, we agree on this, someone that commits a crime is a criminal, yes?
    Well the crime there is this. She is of sound mind and body, able for work, offered a job, accepted said job, and then decided it wasn't for her. She then wanted to go back on the dole where she left off, thus making a fraudulent claim. Fraud = crime.

But how did she commit a crime? It is her right to decline a job, or to change her mind.
    She went for a job, got it, then refused it. She then continued to claim social welfare on the basis that she could not get a job and was actively seeking employment.

You do not know what basis she went back to social welfare on.

I am one of the many people in this country who pays tax and prsi that contributes to this persons "job seekers" allowance

So have the majority of the people that are on social welfare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

But how did she commit a crime? It is her right to decline a job, or to change her mind.

You do not know what basis she went back to social welfare

So have the majority of the people that are on social welfare now.
    true statement

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Indeed. So what do you suggest then, should the government cut social welfare because people are too weak to resist taking it when they don't genuinely need it?

Ehh....yes, clearly if this is what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

This UK comparison thing really annoys me, of the 30 OECD countries, 25 of them actually have higher dole payments than ours. The UK is one of the 4 who have lower payments than ours. If dole payments are to be lowered, then PRSI (which people on the dole pay for years before claiming) must be lowered too.

Do you have a link for that? I'd be interested in having a look.

Jobseekers Benefit is an entitlement and I don't think anybody here seems to have a problem with people claiming it when they've lost their job as they have paid for it in their taxes.

However, jobseekers allowance in my opinion should be a completely different payment and should not continue indefinately - maybe it should be reduced by 5% a month or something to a minimum base level to encourage people to go out and work. There needs to be a bigger gap between jobseekers allowance and minimum wage to encourage people to work, and raising minimum wage just isn't viable in the current economic climate, if anything, that too needs to be reduced to give us more competitiveness in Europe in terms of attracting employers and creating more jobs.

However, I don't think this woman deserves the blame, there are thousands like her in this country and it is the system that has created them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Still no sign of Senna, the original poster. S/he has been asked repeatedly what the job is.

Still no sign of the people who said "I'll have that job" and "me too".

So we don't know what the job is. If it existed in the first place - perhaps this is all a fairytale.

By the way, PRSI stands for pay-related social insurance. It is an insurance we pay against becoming unemployed. If we become unemployed, we can claim 'benefits' - we are paid back some of the money we paid to insure ourselves and each other.

If this woman ever existed (and I've had my doubts from page 3 or so), then she may have found the sewage-cleaning, or whatever the work was, or working for the OP, not bearable for the wage.

Perhaps this is terribly wrong. Perhaps when we hear from the volunteers who rushed up to Letterkenny to claim the job she discarded, we'll know. Perhaps not.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,100 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

luckat wrote: »
    Still no sign of Senna, the original poster. S/he has been asked repeatedly what the job is.

Still no sign of the people who said "I'll have that job" and "me too".

So we don't know what the job is. If it existed in the first place - perhaps this is all a fairytale.

By the way, PRSI stands for pay-related social insurance. It is an insurance we pay against becoming unemployed. If we become unemployed, we can claim 'benefits' - we are paid back some of the money we paid to insure ourselves and each other.

If this woman ever existed (and I've had my doubts from page 3 or so), then she may have found the sewage-cleaning, or whatever the work was, or working for the OP, not bearable for the wage.

Perhaps this is terribly wrong. Perhaps when we hear from the volunteers who rushed up to Letterkenny to claim the job she discarded, we'll know. Perhaps not.
    Senna wrote: »
    Its a service industry job that does not require qualifications, we do look for people with experience. The minimum wage is ridiculously high, but we still pay more that minimum.

Also for the hard of reading. THIS JOB IS IN DONEGAL, 9.50 goes a lot further here than in dub etc, as i said before its probably closer to 12/13e at dub levels.

She gets dole of 204 and mortgage sub of probably 100/120e per week.

Senna started off this row, but then mysteriously disappeared. "A service industry job" - well, what does that mean?

None of the "I'll have that job" posters have reported back. Senna has disappeared.

Maybe he's working.

Overheal wrote: »
    Maybe he's working.

Maybe. What about the people who said they'd take the job? Lots of opinions here; not much hard information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maybe. What about the people who said they'd take the job? Lots of opinions here; not much hard information.

why don't you pm them then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I asked but i'm waiting for her to send me an email! I'd love a job.. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

How I am a freeloader ? My employer wouldn't give me the hours I needed and the dole office wouldn't help me either because I was working more than 3 days.

I have bills to pay and if unemployment helps me more than employment then I'll be unemployed and there is allot of people in this positon, the social welfare system needs to be overhauled starting with getting rid of the 3 day week and have it based on hours rather than days.

You could take the non-freeloader approach and cut back on your bills, you could take on a second or even a third job to make up the hours, and be looking for a better job while working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Senna wrote: »
    The minimum wage is ridiculously high, but we still pay more that minimum.

How on earth is it ridiculously high? I'm sure it's lovely for you Senna in your position to be able to afford the cost of living in this rip-off state - But let's see you live on the minimum wage with a rake of bills up your arse, and then come back to us saying that it's too high.

Now - While I agree with your sentiment in the original post - that girl should not have refused the job. There are thousands of people out there who can't find legitimate work, and need that money...

I don't agree with you trying to have a stab at the minimum wage. It is the rate that it is because our cost of living is one of the highest in the world.

Out of curiosity - What do you make an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Does sitting on at home:

- Pay into a pension?
    - Build your CV?
    - Improve your sense of self accomplishment?
    - Provide you opportunities for advancement?
    - etc.

Senna did her a favor.
    i doubt very much Senna's job does any of these either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭mollypop

This UK comparison thing really annoys me, of the 30 OECD countries, 25 of them actually have higher dole payments than ours. The UK is one of the 4 who have lower payments than ours. If dole payments are to be lowered, then PRSI (which people on the dole pay for years before claiming) must be lowered too.

Strange, according to this we're 10th in the world: http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/apr/05/states-of-grace-dole-payments-around-the-world/

We're even better than that if you just look at minimums. Looking at that link its awful to think that most countries actually differentiate between bums who's never worked a day in their lives and people who've worked hard for years and lost their job. That's how it should be here! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

stevenmu wrote: »
    You could take the non-freeloader approach and cut back on your bills, you could take on a second or even a third job to make up the hours, and be looking for a better job while working.

Ah, the answer for Irelands problems... Well done, why didn't 450,000 people on social welfare think of getting a job, the lads will be chuffed down at the office when I tell them this great plan of getting a job... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are a funny guy, get a second or even third job... WHERE? People are struggling to find half a job, let alone 3...

Absolutely silly suggestion.

Black Lead, enquire to the social welfare office to see if you have paid enough PRSI to benifit from the dole. You may not be eligible. If you do go on social welfare, I do not blame you. Why work for 20 hours a week barely scrapping enough money together for food bills etc etc, while the social welfare is paying much more? It's logical. And to be honest, fcuk morals and ethics at the moment, there is no place for them right now.

People are struggling to find half a job, let alone 3...
    As this thread has shown: no they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

As this thread has shown: no they aren't.

1 Person does not equal people. I wouldnt go by boards either tbh. People are either calling for dole to be cut, or increased. Bitching about politics/recent events and then change their minds the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Yep something is very wrong with your system if you can make more money unemployed.

The more of this I hear the more I think I might vote republican..
    Yes indeed there is something wrong with the system when people can earn a better living off the dole than they can in paid employment. My sister is one of those cases. She works, but I have to say OP, being a part time teacher, I don't get paid for my summers off. I could get a job for these three months if I wanted to, but the reality is that I will earn more on the dole. So guess what I'm going to do?... I'm going to go on the dole till September. And I really don't care what any of you lot think about that, the reality is that I have paid tax since I was 17, 18, and have been in employment since I was 15. I think I'm entitled to a few months off.:D

• Advertisement

^ See, Duck?

Advertisement