Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work??? Feck that.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wertz wrote: »
    Sort of in the same boat as you mate...the best part is when things go pear shaped in our world, the bitches down the social tell you you're entitled to nothing.

They would deny you based on what grounds? You are motivated? Have brains??? Ireland sucks at this moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

delllat wrote: »
    i beleieve most of the peoplle who are saying they would gladly work 40hours a week to get an extra €50 are talking through their holes

that wouuld be the financial equivalent of working for €1.25 an hour in a country where living expenses are so high that you cant buy anything with €1.25 anyway

if there was any justice the minimum wage would be doubled to €18 quid an hour

they way it stands nobody going to get off their arses for €1.25 an hour

the system is fcuked ,people are only making the smart decision
    Or maybe they can just sweep the free dole fund out from under yer feet, put the money toward improving the PRSI, and then you'd be working for 8.50 an hour, while still being a marginally competitive workforce on this planet?

just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

MacGyver wrote: »
    Ive paid my taxes and would like to see the money to go to people and places that Deserve it, not some lazy biatch that is too far up her own arse to do some work.

I agree completely, but this "lazy biatch" didn't decide what your taxes should be spent on, the government did - why is all the anger on this forum directed at this girl rather than the government who created this situation in the first place. Bitching and moaning about people looking out for themselves and their interests is so typically Irish.

Why doesen't anybody stand up and protest and make their voices heard to the people running the country if they feel so angry about it, instead of venting it all out on boards which isn't going to acomplish anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

I was taxed 510 euros this month so she can go fúck herself. Well done OP :)

Overheal wrote: »
    Whats the point of a Minimum wage then, if nobody will work for it?

There is no point in a minimum wage when you have a social welfare system like ours. Our Welfare rates set the bar as illustrated by this thread.

• Advertisement

which why you need to get rid of that crap. Or reform it at least. From my own experience I must have heard of a dozen people I know personally, scamming the dole one way or the other. But I never knew that much about it. Did I report them: no, Im foreign. I dont know how to do such things - all I know is that its easy enough for everyone (and their mothers) to scam the current system. New checks and balances need to implemented to make sure the people on it are on it because they need to be on it, not because theyre too lazy to get off it, or are trying to supplement their cash income.

I mean for instance, if they had run a credit check/consumer report on that woman they would have seen the 2006 SUV she just got. How many really needy people could have been fed and boarded with the money that went into that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

DarkJager wrote: »
    No he did so because she's a leech who wants to sit around on her lazy ass while everyone else pays for her dole.

Well that's quite clearly wrong otherwise she wouldn't have applied for the job, gone to interview and accepted the offer. That would not be logical behaviour for a lazy ass. All that heppened was that she realised she wasn't benefitting financially from the job. Now I agree something is wrong with the system for this to happen but you can't blame her for it.

The system surely needs to change - perhaps people on low wages should still be permitted to recieve some form of state benefit to make the wage more reasonable/worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I hate people who abuse the system. There are hard working people, just barely scraping by everyday, willing to do anything for a job. And these abusers, who have been given a chance to earn something in life and not be leaches are taking advantage of the dole system and refusing to work.

OP I think you should go to the dole office, report the b!tch to the authorties and they might cut her off. She deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

They would deny you based on what grounds? You are motivated? Have brains??? Ireland sucks at this moment :(

Probably on the grounds you aren't paying the same PRSI as everybody else. Company directors/self employed people pay a different rate of PRSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

lmao you're angry at someone because they didn't accept a job you offered them that pays peanuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

cougar1 wrote: »
    The trouble these days is there are plenty of people who paid their taxes and their dues over the past 10-15 years to prop up our sham of an economy and now see themselves on the dole through no fault of their own

But she was offered a perfectly decent job? So is it not her fault ....as she turned it down.
    cougar1 wrote: »
    Not everyone can share the same enthusiasm in cleaning toilets, or working in McDonald's as some on here.

I for one take offence to that. I have a degree and years of experience in my line of work. I clean the toilets if they need a "deep clean" IE wall scrubbing, hand and knees and scrub the living daylights out of the place. It is far from beneath me. Why? No job is beneath even the highest paid member of staff on our team. How can i ask you to do something i'm not prepared to do myself.

Working is now a choice. "Will i stay on the dole or take that job" should not be a difficult decision. Sure there are people who have just been let go and would give thier right arm to get the job that girl turned down. Why then is the government rewarding those that refuse employment of any kind? Are we to subsides indefinately? or just until they find non existant €25 / hr jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Ah sure why bother work if you're better off on the dole. I want to go back to college and im not entitled to any grant or any type os assistance. They expect me to live on nothing. And yet after six months on the dole, i would be entitled to a grant for the duration of the course.
    I hate the work i am in and i think i would be better of on the dole. There is seriously something wrong somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Overheal wrote: »
    Or maybe they can just sweep the free dole fund out from under yer feet, put the money toward improving the PRSI, and then you'd be working for 8.50 an hour, while still being a marginally competitive workforce on this planet?

just a thought.

yeah but realistically they are not going to cancel welfare ,its here and its staying ,hence the amount of freeloaders enjoying it

when there is choice of a lazy option to take human nature dictates people will take it

205-dole
    100-rent allowance/mortgage relief
    10 free doctor /dentist/medical

total=315+nice relaxing life of leisure

350-minimum wage job after tax
    -20 transport to work
    -10 doctor /dentist/medical

total=320+working like a slave

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ilikerashers

At least she had some interest in working.

Dole is such a bonanza here and if you don't go in to claim your prize, someone else'll do it for you.

Completely agree with the typical irish attitude comment too, why not raise it as an economic concern as opposed to nailing someone (or can you think outside of that amazing minimum wage business you run).

Nothing like irish to screw irish.

At least she had some interest in working.

Dole is such a bonanza here and if you don't go in to claim your prize, someone else'll do it for you.

Completely agree with the typical irish attitude comment too, why not raise it as an economic concern as opposed to nailing someone (or can you think outside of that amazing minimum wage business you run).

Nothing like irish to screw irish.
    Definitely something to talk to your local canvassers about.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

<Ollie> wrote: »
    €9.50 is a perfect decent wage and then you ask OP "what kind of job is it?"

It's a little more than the dole, tbh. It all depends then, how far she has to travel, has she kids, is the employer taking advantage of the economic mess? (ie taking her for a ride). Is is actually worth her while going to work?

How is €380 "a little" more than €204?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

TimTim wrote: »
    Probably on the grounds you aren't paying the same PRSI as everybody else. Company directors/self employed people pay a different rate of PRSI.

Ah ok, thanks for that. I new they payed a differant sort of tax, but was unanaware that they cannot claim like every other citizen is allowed to, speaking of which, where is that guy?

I think she might have a case if she said to the social welfare office that she wanted to find a job to match her skillset...? Giving that, I do not know this womans skillset ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

This was debated on the joe duffy show .A woman,single mother was offered a full time job in a shop 9euro per hour.She went thru her expenses and said it makes no financial sense taking the job.
    SHE said its not worth my while taking a job on that wage ,id have to pay childminders etc pay for petrol lunches etc I reckon a single mother would need to be paid at least 550 after tax to make it worth your while to work 40 hours .Meanwhile a single mother can work partime and earn about 160euro without effecting her welfare payments.THE welfare system is very complicated theres also things like chidrens allowance medical cards etc which have to be taken into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

There has to be something seriously wrong with the system, when people on the dole are not grabbing a job offer with both hands!
    Our social welfare supplements really need to be re-evaluated again!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gamer wrote: »
    This was debated on the joe duffy show .A woman,single mother was offered a full time job in a shop 9euro per hour.She went thru her expenses and said it makes no financial sense taking the job.
    SHE said its not worth my while taking a job on that wage ,id have to pay chidminders etc pay for petrol lunches etc I reckon a single mother would need to be paid at least 550 after tax to make it worth your while to work 40 hours .Meanwhile a single mother can work partime and earn about 160euro without effecting her welfare payments.THE welfare system is very complicated theres also things like chidrens allowance medical cards etc which have to be taken into account.

It's not up to her to decide whether shes better off on the dole. The dole is for people who cant get work, not people who dont think they want to work or dont fancy it because they wouldnt be on any more money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

+1 to the above. Too many people view the dole as an 'alternative income' - maybe that's a sign that it's too much!

This roughly translates to:

"Hey woman, take this job because its a job and anyone on the dole is a scrub. I don't care if you have 9 children and the job only pays minimum wage. If you're on the dole and you get a job offer of any kind you have to take it with out even questioning whether the job you get offered is even capable of sustaining you financially. Scrub"

She is entitled to claim the dole until she has found a job. When you are one the dole and looking for a job, you are not obligated to change the requirements of the job you're looking for just because you're on the dole. Waiting for a job that makes more sense financially is not the same as scrounging off the government, regardless of what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Senna wrote: »
    Seriously, PM me, if i can help any boardise.
    The jobs in Letterkenny and there will be a few positions over time.

Sweet!What is it you run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Dave! wrote: »
    Nah I'm just visiting relatives, so it's costing f*ck all

But that's beside the point :) And that is that I'm entitled to benefit but not claiming it

Do you want a medal? You obviously don't need the money otherwise you wouldn't be talking such rubbish.

Stekelly wrote: »
    How is €380 "a little" more than €204?

PRSI, income levies, no medical card, no fuel allowance, no rent allowance, travel to/from work, etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ass wrote: »
    She is entitled to claim the dole until she has found a job. When you are one the dole and looking for a job, you are not obligated to change the requirements of the job you're looking for just because you're on the dole. Waiting for a job that makes more sense financially is not the same as scrounging off the government, regardless of what you think.

She has been on the dole for a year. That job ain't coming

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's not up to her to decide whether shes better off on the dole. The dole is for people who cant get work, not people who dont think they want to work or dont fancy it because they wouldnt be on any more money.

Yes it is up to her. If the government give her these benefits then why shouldn't she take them? The banks are getting billions and no-one bats an eyelid. Farmers are effectively getting multiples of the dole for decades. Yet people get worked up about a woman who makes a perfectly rational decision.

The old Irish snobbery kicking in again. Makes me sick.

Now whether the dole is too generous - that's a whole other argument.

professore wrote: »
    PRSI, income levies, no medical card, no fuel allowance, no rent allowance, travel to/from work, etc etc.
    Why the :confused::confused::confused::confused: does the government pay out Fuel Allowance. shouldnt they just buy everyone a couch? Where are you going to drive to? Maybe they should give out a vacation allowance to the unemployed as well.

I mean FFS you might as well plug everyone in and get some use out of them the way this is starting to sound.

People talking about the dole as if it's shameful to be claiming it. It's an entitlement.
    She has been on the dole for a year. That job ain't coming

That means nothing. I know quite a few people who have been actively been searching for jobs for the half a year to a year who are claiming dole benefits. Sure they could go get a job in McDonald's for the sake of having a job, but the fact is that job wont cut it, especially considering that they have families.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

twanda wrote: »
    There has to be something seriously wrong with the system, when people on the dole are not grabbing a job offer with both hands!
    Our social welfare supplements really need to be re-evaluated again!

No social welfare should be left alone What is wrong is the min wages are poverty wages if they are set below SW rates which are ment to only sustain an existance, so there is very little disposable income from all of us joe publics. So what should be done, well the fatcats who are creaming in the money and hording it from their business can buy a few regular 3 bed houses on just one years income which joe public needs 25 yrs or more just to pay for one. the fatcats are the ones starving the economy Those fatcats should be taking in far less for themselves and paying their workers much more then min wage. result will be that more money from greater disposable income from all of the joe publics will circulate in the economy instead of being horded by the fatcats. More money circulating generates more demand for goods and services thus creating even more jobs. Those on Social Welfare would be encouraged to get a job cos they would see more cash in their pocket by working

Advertisement