Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work??? Feck that.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Magic8

If she's getting mortgage supplement or whatever it's called, she'd probably lose that if she was working (as well as her husbanbds dole being cut), so there's a possibility she could lose her house. It's not right to refuse work in favour of the dole, but sometimes your hand is forced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

connundrum wrote: »
    This is the important point that several people, including close friends, are missing.

You cannot put a value on being productive, interacting with people, learning new skills - in however a low-paid position.

I've worked as a cleaner, shop assistant, security man, barman, waiter... everything that several friends have said is 'below them'. Some of my best work experiences came from the time spent working these jobs.

This.

Its all life experience. Doesn't have to relate directly to what you hope will be your future role but it gives you interpersonal experience in different environments.

I recently took a week of work for holidays. None of the lads were doing anything but i had to take them or lose them. By the end of the week i was bored beyond belief. I couldn't wait to go back to work. I can't imagine spending everyday with not much disposable income and nothing to do. Not fun.

Better to work and come home tired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Overheal wrote: »
    Yep something is very wrong with your system if you can make more money unemployed.

The more of this I hear the more I think I might vote republican..

Yeah, cos the Irish welfare system is all Obama's fault... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Senna wrote: »
    I hired a member of staff two weeks ago on trial, she was on the dole for the last year and she turned out to be a very good professional worker. So last week i offered her a full-time job and she accepted it, no surprise there, seen there are very few new jobs in the area.
    Then today she came into me and said she cant take the job as she worked it out and she is better off on the dole than working a 40 hour week, earning a bit more than minimum wage. To say i was mad was an understatement, first its a disgrace that someone can earn more (or only a bit less, when taking all the other benefits that come with the dole) by laying on their ass all week at the tax payers expense and second that we are allowing this system to continue.

I think i might phone social welfare tomorrow and tell them she has refused a job, i would hope her dole would be stopped, but i doubt they would do feck all.

Just a rant and its not the first time someone has refused work as they wanted to stay on the dole.

Mods feel free to lock thread, probably no need of more dole threads.

Classy guy - dont fault her - she is being realistic - why spend time working for someone that will barely pay you the legal requirement when she can be spending quality time with her family. I know I would do the exact same - what we need is a radical change of the social welfare system - end of.

Dave! wrote: »
    I'm entitled to benefit but not claiming it

Well then when you do go down to them be prepared to get a bollocking off them, a ton of extra questions and a have them be very weary of you.

Whether you're living in a cardboard box or sharing with Bill Gates, You sign on straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭ak51535

ahhh lucky f****r give us her job!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well then when you do go down to them be prepared to get a bollocking off them, a ton of extra questions and a have them be very weary of you.

Whether you're living in a cardboard box or sharing with Bill Gates, You sign on straight away.
    I won't be looking for work though

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I can't stand this mentality of 'oh it's only a bit more than the dole.' So what? Why do people feel so entitled to make rakes of money for a simple shop job?

They feel they're entitled to it because if they get paid slightly less for doing nothing, of course they're going to feel like they should get paid more to do some work! If the dole was reduced, then there would be more of an incentive for people to take up these jobs but you can't go bashing people because they don't want to work for a tenner a day or so!!
    IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    9.50 is a pretty good hourly wage. I started on 10.50 last year for a job that required a college degree and three languages, for God's sake! Such a sense of entitlement among so many people who seem to think they deserve to earn a fortune for doing unskilled work......

That sense of entitlement was bred by this government during the Celtic Tiger years - you can't just backtrack overnight.

There is something seriously wrong when a job that requires a college degree and 3 languages pays less than €2 more than minimum wage.

Clearly something is skewed in the system and we have no hope in creating more jobs until we re-establish our competitiveness in Europe. We're not going to attract any companies to base themselves here if that is the cost and they are not favourable compared to most other countries in the EU, if you start looking to eastern europe than we can just forget it, we've priced ourselves out of the market.

I won't be looking for work though

What do you plan to live on?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,103 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Couch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That she'd rather be on the scribble says more about the wages you pay than anything else tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,103 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yeah, cos the Irish welfare system is all Obama's fault... :rolleyes:
    Not what im saying at all: but thats what he's trying to do with the healthcare system. And next he wants to reform social security. Just wtf are we going, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I have savings! When I start looking for work then I'll sign on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Bambi wrote: »
    That she'd rather be on the scribble says more about the wages you pay than anything else tbh :)

more than min wage should be enough for someone with no job, reason its not is because the dole and welfare is too generous, like all the players of the system whinging on "i lost my christmas dole" well to get that you have to be long term dole and its in 7 months so how do you know you'll have no job :) wait i know you don't want an job you want the dole and all that goes with it

2 types of peeps in ireland, those that will work and those that will tell themselves there is no need. the workers can go anywhere if they have to, what will the doleese do when we leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Tigger wrote: »
    more than min wage should be enough for someone with no job, reason its not is because the dole and welfare is too generous, like all the players of the system whinging on "i lost my christmas dole" well to get that you have to be long term dole and its in 7 months so how do you know you'll have no job :) wait i know you don't want an job you want the dole and all that goes with it

2 types of peeps in ireland, those that will work and those that will tell themselves there is no need. the workers can go anywhere if they have to, what will the doleese do when we leave?

You'll dislocate your shoulder if you keep patting yourself on the back like that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

dosen't mean i'll go on disabality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Wait, She was getting offered a 40 hour a week contract on 9.50 an hour..
    Which works out to like €380..

How is she better off on 204 a week? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Resi12 wrote: »

Rent Allowance/Mortgage Interest Supplement.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its a service industry job that does not require qualifications, we do look for people with experience. The minimum wage is ridiculously high, but we still pay more that minimum.

Also for the hard of reading. THIS JOB IS IN DONEGAL, 9.50 goes a lot further here than in dub etc, as i said before its probably closer to 12/13e at dub levels.

She gets dole of 204 and mortgage sub of probably 100/120e per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

The minimum wage is ridiculously high

Like Irish companies profit margins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Your location suits you, OP. Good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

How's €380 after tax?

I'd say both Senna and his or her former employee are better off without each other.

Senna because s/he can now employ the eager posters here, who I'm sure have hotfooted it up to Donegal to work for him/her.

The ex-employee because she's no longer working for someone who grasses her up, rather than saying "Let's sit down and have a cup of coffee and go over the figures.")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I have savings! When I start looking for work then I'll sign on
    You should still sign on and not make a benefit claim.

If you sign on, you get your PRSI stamps, which you may need if necessity means you have to claim the dole down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DeaglanOMurchu

Wat's d job??
    Just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

That she would rather take the dole than work says more about her than anything else, tbh.

Where exactly do you think the money for social welfare payments come from?

If we all took this attitude we'd be f**ked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Remembers my first job which I only got £94 for a 40 hour week, and that was only 12 years ago.

This women's circumstances are not the OP's responsibility. At the end of the day she is playing the system. Any job has to be worth more than sitting at home all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

To say i was mad was an understatement, first its a disgrace that someone can earn more (or only a bit less, when taking all the other benefits that come with the dole) by laying on their ass all week at the tax payers expense and second that we are allowing this system to continue.

I think i might phone social welfare tomorrow and tell them she has refused a job, i would hope her dole would be stopped, but i doubt they would do feck all.

Just a rant and its not the first time someone has refused work as they wanted to stay on the dole.

Why do you and others find it weird when someone doesn't want to work a long week for €30? I dont get this attitude! Working for free is not something I would like to do and most service/minimum wage/ factory jobs are ****.Its summer time now!! that girl would have been a little crazy to accept the job :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Stop being a stingy manager and offer her a bit more money instead of minimum wage. She'll stay then and work for you. Of course, you won't do that...

Edit: Oh look, just noticed! You reported her! Well fair play to you aren't you an honorable member of society! God you sound like a real pain in the ass to work for. Maybe that was her reasons for not taking the job and didn't want to hurt your feelings so said the dole reason instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I'd do my current job for minimum wage because I love it.

But there's no way i hell I'd do some service industry job for the same money I'd get on the dole.

Pretty crappy to report her, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Wagon wrote: »
    Stop being a stingy manager and offer her a bit more money instead of minimum wage. She'll stay then and work for you. Of course, you won't do that...

Edit: Oh look, just noticed! You reported her! Well fair play to you aren't you an honorable member of society! God you sound like a real pain in the ass to work for. Maybe that was her reasons for not taking the job and didn't want to hurt your feelings so said the dole reason instead?

eh WHAT planet do YOU live on?! Last I checked (and ANYONE feel free to correct me here coz i could be wrong) the minimum wage in this country is €8.65

He just said he was paying her €9.50 an hour! I took a job for LESS than that an hour to get off the dole!

Advertisement