Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you could but cant do in ireland anymore?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

gwhiz wrote: »
    dont ever go into a shop and ask for "black" bags, they are now called "refugee sacks"

Proper order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

appearantly in Dublin years ago people used the "N" word as a pet name for dogs or "Blackie". It wasn't meant with any racial slant

Watch the 1950's movie "The Dam Busters". One of the main characters has a dog called "******" and uses his name frequently throughout the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭gwhiz

Urge to kill rising, rising, RISING
    So essentially, you can't say 'black'? How about 'really, really, really, really dark blue'?

Bring back Golly Bars!!

Golly Bars..... what a blast from the past. I think they sell similar icecreams now but with a different name??
    and
    remember the Golly Wog dolls.... I had one when I was a kid.. seemingly they were not allowed to make them any more (too racist) and the old ones are quite collectible so if you have one in your attic, hold on to it !!
    and
    the Black & White Minstrel Show (really showing my age here)... everyones faces were painted black and their eyes and lips in white... this was banned too.... twas a load of rubbish anyways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

Get the RA to deal with local drugdealing scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

get 10p back for glass bottles, the 80's were cool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Bricriu wrote: »
    Get the RA to deal with local drugdealing scum.

They are too busy extorting them and selling the stuff themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I miss being able to call customer care/IT and not having to talk to someone in India on a broken line.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BuachaillAbroad

Rent your videos from the VHS rent van...anyone else have one of these?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

No actually.
    But there weren't many sex criminals in the area I grew up in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭chiliconparmi

Yeah we had a guy come around with vidoes to rent as well. I think he rented them from extra vision and copied them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

in stephens green last week .after i did my shopping i went to the green cos it was sunny.i had some heineken cans , milk and bread and sausages in a shopping bag. i was drinking a lucozade...3 wardens come over and order me to leave the park....for 'having alcohol in the park 'with possible intent to consume'...wtf!!!.....

i was fuming so much i went down to trinity and opened a can like about 30 people around me were and watched the cricket in peace lol

add this to smoking ban, no off licence sales after 10.30, clubs closing at 2.30, blasphemy rulings, and its verging on totalitarian dystopia...scary....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

in stephens green last week .after i did my shopping i went to the green cos it was sunny.i had some heineken cans , milk and bread and sausages in a shopping bag. i was drinking a lucozade...3 wardens come over and order me to leave the park....for 'having alcohol in the park 'with possible intent to consume'...wtf!!!.....

i was fuming so much i went down to trinity and opened a can like about 30 people around me were and watched the cricket in peace lol

add this to smoking ban, no off licence sales after 10.30, clubs closing at 2.30, blasphemy rulings, and its verging on totalitarian dystopia...scary....
    If that's as scary as your totalitarian dystopia gets, I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i spend a lot of time in berlin...so im used to being treated like a human :)

in stephens green last week .after i did my shopping i went to the green cos it was sunny.i had some heineken cans , milk and bread and sausages in a shopping bag. i was drinking a lucozade...3 wardens come over and order me to leave the park....for 'having alcohol in the park 'with possible intent to consume'...wtf!!!.........

You were worse to listen to them, I would have told them to go away and die of a disease!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Claim your rock band are going to be the next U2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hear and read people using the phrase "PC" and actually knowing what it meant (i.e. fuk all to do with, for instance, walking a dog without a leash).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Import something from abroad and sell it for four times the buying price though some still try :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭shaner

I miss being able to call customer care/IT and not having to talk to someone in India on a broken line.

Being able to call Eircom support and talk to a Computer Science student who didn't care and who's supervisor was a student in the same class...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

bladespin wrote: »
    Import something from abroad and sell it for four times the buying price though some still try :P

lol when the psp 1st came out in ireland there was a shortage of sony 1gb memory cards, they cost over 120euro in the shop and i could get them for 35euro. sold them in the buyandsell. at the time most irish people were still afraid of ebay and online shopping. and after an order of 200euro worth never arrived i could see why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

1) Drink tap water without worrying if it has been polluted with cryptosporidium.
    2) Walk through a large town without seeing American fast food places like McDonalds or Subway.
    3) Walk anywhere without encountering a bunch of teenagers wearing hoodies as well as socks pulled up over their tracksuits.
    4) Go out for a walk and not have to listen to people shouting on mobile phones.
    5) Go out without locking the door and setting the alarm.
    6) Hear about something other than the recession on the RTE news.
    7) Not dislike Irish people in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

lol when the psp 1st came out in ireland there was a shortage of sony 1gb memory cards, they cost over 120euro in the shop and i could get them for 35euro. sold them in the buyandsell. at the time most irish people were still afraid of ebay and online shopping. and after an order of 200euro worth never arrived i could see why...

The PSP came out 4 years ago FFS! Get some proper nostalgia.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quazzie wrote: »

Go to yur doctor and have him know you without checking it on a screen, and expect him to diagnose you from experience and not from an computer programme.

Believe me, the software doctors use doesn't give any clinical advice at all. Seeing as its banned for it to do so...

Even in my shorter life than some of those on here, its no longer possible to:

Go out and get drunk on 20 quid
    Go to the jacks in a pub and know you're not going to pay for anything unless you need johnnies
    Get phone credit on a scratchcard you could leave lying around the house for weeks knowing that nobody could use the code without opening the shrinkwrap AND scratching off the silver
    get 10p back for glass bottles, the 80's were cool

Irn Bru still comes in glass deposit/return bottles in Scotland, was in a newsagent when someone brought in some of them. Felt like I'd fallen through a time vortex...

....when I got out of my car in Scotland the previous night. That just added to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

order a feckin drink after 10

****in hate that

''Go out and get drunk on 20 quid''

6 for 7 - and then have a few in the nightclub with 3 euro deals much?

JPA wrote: »
    The PSP came out 4 years ago FFS! Get some proper nostalgia.

i can get a 4gb memory card for 6euro now. that makes it nostalgic

1)
    5) Go out without locking the door and setting the alarm.

things you could do before when you were not an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Does anybody rob clothes lines anymore? Haven't heard of it in years, i'm throwing that one into the ring.

joke about having a bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

At least you can't drive drunk and abuse children anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

things you could do before when you were not an idiot
    There was actually a time when you could leave your house without worrying about having it broken into. Remembering such a time has nothing to do with being an idiot.

• Advertisement

you were just lucky to not have it robbed

leaving it open, in any time period, is being stupid in fairness

Advertisement