Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you could but cant do in ireland anymore?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Maybe not unique to Ireland but long gone are ads like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

not sure exactly how it works but when u call people names here u usually get banned

I thought getting in trouble for calling people names was a thing of the past too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

grasshopa wrote: »
    I thought getting in trouble for calling people names was a thing of the past too....

its 1984'ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jaydoubleyoubee

1. Buy smokes in tens, or even single cigarettes. I now smoke more than ten a day thanks to that retarded law (and my lack of will power).
    2. Carry rolling papers with tobacco without being arrested for carrying "drug paraphernalia"
    3. Buy magic mushrooms at your local market
    4. Get decent Poitín anywhere far away from the border.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

1. Carry rolling papers with tobacco without being arrested for carrying "drug paraphernalia"
    A friend of mine was drunk one night and he was skinning up a rolly outside a bar. A Guard walked past him and asked him what he was doing. He replied, jokingly, that he was rolling up a big fat reefer. Guard didn't think it was too funny and arrested him. Stupid bastard didn't even check his tobacco bag until he got him into Pearse st. station. Turned out he was only a brand new guard on the street for only a couple of weeks and on a power trip! My mate made a couple of appearances at the Garda Station complaining about the powertripping Guard's conduct, and apparantly he got him a one week suspension for his effort (Something about his threatening legal action)

But that really is the case. I sometimes get looked at on the street when I'm rolling up by some 15/16 year old who doesn't smoke and who seem to be unfamiliar with rolly tobacco. They seem to assume that I'm rolling a joint...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Slag people off who are on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

be a learner driver and get to drive the car on your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

never knew how much i miss old ireland till now :(:( sob!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

lgoring21 wrote: »
    watch ray darcy on the tv fighting a teddy bear

Remember when you could actually like Ray D'arcy back in the day?

Kiss Chase - now people just look at me like I've gone mad.

I miss when you could walk past children and/or teenagers without them shouting Hello or a sarcastic remark at you.

Like Dave Fanning's radio show.
    Watch good childrens television on a Saturday morning. Now it's all Cookery/sport shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Not just in Ireland but it seems you cant watch a good cartoon anymore without it being all deep and dark. Was watching the Turtles one morning recently and Leonardo had to go on a mission of self discovery on his own to fight his inner demons becasue he was being racked by guilt about something or other and was getting all bitter and twisted.

What the hell?! Whats deal with kids these days - do they not enjoy a show where the lads just beat up Shredder, shout cowabunga dude and eat loads of pizza anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    Giving girls a smack on the arse.

WOAH! Hold on a second - that's still a tried and tested method of flirting in Anonoboy's local.

Don't mess with the classics man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

What the hell?! Whats deal with kids these days - do they not enjoy a show where the lads just beat up Shredder, shout cowabunga dude and eat loads of pizza anymore?

Not since they banned magic mushrooms in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

At least we can all still use piss jugs. i feckin love pissing in old coffee cups and old milk cartons. then i fu*ck it out the apartment window. Improves my sleeping pattern as i dont have to walk to the bathroom. i would miss it.

seven-iron wrote: »
    At least we can all still use piss jugs. i feckin love pissing in old coffee cups and old milk cartons. then i fu*ck it out the apartment window. Improves my sleeping pattern as i dont have to walk to the bathroom. i would miss it.

There's always one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

sitout wrote: »
    1; Ride a motor bike without a helmet
    4; Drive home after 4/5 pints and not be afraid of being stopped by a guard

I know, what a bitch! It`s a real infringement of your civil liberties, innit? Not like the good old days, when you could happily endanger not just your life, but any other poor sod who happened to be on the road at the same time as you!

I know, what a bitch! It`s a real infringement of your civil liberties, innit? Not like the good old days, when you could happily endanger not just your life, but any other poor sod who happened to be on the road at the same time as you!

You used to be able to give smug, self satisfying irritating hippies a right slap in the old days. Not anymore though, all that happens to them are poor comebacks like this on internet forums. :(

Denerick wrote: »
    You used to be able to give smug, self satisfying irritating hippies a right slap in the old days. Not anymore though, all that happens to them are poor comebacks like this on internet forums. :(

It's called sarcasm. I know, its the lowest form of wit, but its' better than having no wit. Like some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

Watching the Uefa Cup Final.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Be 100% sure (even if eventually) of getting medical treatment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

are any of the 5 you have suggested really that bad?

wont somebody think of the children!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Say that a picture of a naked bloke posing in front of the Spire
    is the most thanked post ever on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

lgoring21 wrote: »
    be shocked to see a black person in real life....will never foget the first time i seen a black man... was about 8...couldnt stop talkin about it for a week

Say that without being called racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

park your car somewhere and not have to worry about time limits, paying or having the lawful owner of the parking spot extort money from you in various ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

Nothing i can say will change a simple mind like yours.

sitout wrote: »
    Nothing i can say will change a simple mind like yours.

I'm sorry! What exactly do you have to say? Apart from half-arsed insults, your post was seemingly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭cecilwinthorpe

Quazzie wrote: »
    Go to yur doctor and have him know you without checking it on a screen, and expect him to diagnose you from experience and not from an computer programme.

My doctor knows my whole family by name without having to check up any files or anything. He also knows roughly how long it's been since we all last saw him :)

I'm sorry! What exactly do you have to say? Apart from half-arsed insults, your post was seemingly pointless.

In the old days Belfast posters didn't even know how to use complex machinery, never mind make posts on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

appearantly in Dublin years ago people used the "N" word as a pet name for dogs or "Blackie". It wasn't meant with any racial slant, in the same way the Pogues used the word "******" in their most famous song which wasn't meant as insult to anyones sexuality. It was just different times and different meaning.

Im sure you couldn't chase your dog down the street in Ireland now screaming the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭gwhiz

appearantly in Dublin years ago people used the "N" word as a pet name for dogs or "Blackie". It wasn't meant with any racial slant, in the same way the Pogues used the word "******" in their most famous song which wasn't meant as insult to anyones sexuality. It was just different times and different meaning.

Im sure you couldn't chase your dog down the street in Ireland now screaming the same thing.

Sure do you remember the game you played as a kid it went....

Eaney meaney miney moe, catch a "N" by the toe, if he squeals, let him go, eaney meaney miney moe.... I heard some kids singing this recently and the "N" word was replaced with "piglet"
    and
    Ba Ba Black Sheep (seemingly it is not PC to sing this song anymore)
    and
    dont ever go into a shop and ask for "black" bags, they are now called "refuse sacks"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

gwhiz wrote: »
    Sure do you remember the game you played as a kid it went....

Eaney meaney miney moe, catch a "N" by the toe, if he squeals, let him go, eaney meaney miney moe.... I heard some kids singing this recently and the "N" word was replaced with "piglet"
    and
    Ba Ba Black Sheep (seemingly it is not PC to sing this song anymore)
    and
    dont ever go into a shop and ask for "black" bags, they are now called "refuse sacks"
    Urge to kill rising, rising, RISING
    So essentially, you can't say 'black'? How about 'really, really, really, really dark blue'?

Bring back Golly Bars!!

Advertisement