Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you could but cant do in ireland anymore?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

you were just lucky to not have it robbed

leaving it open, in any time period, is being stupid in fairness

...except in lots of areas of the country until a few years ago, you knew full well it *wasn't going to be* robbed. No "lucky" involved.

Back home you left the keys in your car to save time. They were never stolen. Again, no luck involved.

Let me guess, you're from Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

im not a robber

but if i seen your down open or keys in yer car id say **** - the tit person deserves it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

im not a robber

but if i seen your down open or keys in yer car id say **** - the <s>tit</s> person deserves it

You're not quite getting the point here.

In rural Ireland in the old days, there WAS NO THEFT. End of. Its only recently become a problem.

The only time you locked up at night was when you knew there were Dubs or Belfast people around. This was in the 1990s, not the 1930s. It sounds like a cliche, but there wasn't any crime till Sky arrived...

If you're in you still don't lock the front door in most rural areas. Would take the car keys out and lock it though.

no crime

give me a break - less of course but not none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

im not a robber

but if i seen your down open or keys in yer car id say **** - the tit person deserves it

While it may be a stupid thing to do now it wasn't years ago. People didn't even consider their car would get robbed years ago because they wouldn't be. In twenty years time people will probably be considered idiots because they used to go out in public without a bullet proof vest.

I'm also not talking about leaving my front door open. When I say unlocked I'm talking about not having to get an industrial strength lock.

• Advertisement

anywhoo

doesnt matter - people did get robbed in rural ireland - not often but it happened
    making it ridiculously easy for robbers wasnt the smartest thing to do

anywhoo

doesnt matter - people did get robbed in rural ireland - not often but it happened
    making it ridiculously easy for robbers wasnt the smartest thing to do

Except they didn't. Quite clearly you're from a city.

Another few things (or variations of the one thing).
    1) Buy some items in a shop and get a free plastic bag.
    2) Buy some items in a shop and get a plastic bag for five cents.
    3) See plastic bags hanging from every single tree you walk past.

Number three makes number one not seem so bad. Five cents was more than enough to charge for a bag though.

Maybe someone else has mentioned bags but I haven't read everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Do ya remember when we used to get good stuff free with cereals?

Those top class refectors for the spokes of your BMX that you got in Cornflakes.

Them magic stickers that changed when you turned them in the light.

Best of all, once I saved up loads of tokens from Coco-Pops boxes and got myself a lifesize Coco-Monkey.
    Oh me and Coco used to go everywhere together, we had the best of times.

Anyone remember any other good cereal freebies?
    Nowadays the best you can hope for is a coupon for 20% off some shampoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i remember they used to actually give money away in the little sliver packets of certain tayto packets if you where to find one in it.

• Advertisement

they were sex ^

''double prizer''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Do ya remember when we used to get good stuff free with cereals?

Those top class refectors for the spokes of your BMX that you got in Cornflakes.

Them magic stickers that changed when you turned them in the light.

Best of all, once I saved up loads of tokens from Coco-Pops boxes and got myself a lifesize Coco-Monkey.
    Oh me and Coco used to go everywhere together, we had the best of times.

Anyone remember any other good cereal freebies?
    Nowadays the best you can hope for is a coupon for 20% off some shampoo.

i have a biscuit tin full of unopened breakfast cereal items from 12-14yrs ago.

remember pogs? and top trumps? most people have forgotten pogs i think, found some in the attack yday.

i have a biscuit tin full of unopened breakfast cereal items from 12-14yrs ago.

remember pogs? and top trumps? most people have forgotten pogs i think, found some in the attack yday.

you dont forget pogs - they were the **** along with yo-yo's and 90's rap

5) Go out without locking the door and setting the alarm.
    things you could do before when you were not an idiot

We would still leave the door open during the day at home. We would often be gone for hours or even the full day, sometimes its locked more often than not its not. We usually lock it before going to bed at night. We also leave the keys in the cars all the time when the cars are at home. We dont have an alarm and I dont know anybody living anywhere near me that has an alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

Eat a Dan Bar.

They're out of production now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Tarzan_man wrote: »
    Eat a Dan Bar.

They're out of production now :(

im sure you can still get them. i had some a couple of yrs ago.

http://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/acatalog/desperate_dan_bars.html

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

1) Beat the sh1t out of a child in an institution.

2) Starve to death coz theres no spuds.

3) Bring shame on your family by getting pregnant before you got married.

4) Vote FF with a clear conscience.

5) Feel guilty for just about everything

I find it strange that it's considered idiotic to be reminiscent of a time when you didn't have to lock your front door but it's alright to be all nostalgic about a time when everyone could drink as much as they wanted and drive home. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I find it strange that it's considered idiotic to be reminiscent of a time when you didn't have to lock your front door but it's alright to be all nostalgic about a time when everyone could drink as much as they wanted and drive home. :confused:
    I don't think a lot of people of people find it very nostalgic, only the idiots that used to do/still do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

A. Buy a six pack of those scutty little bottles of Harp

B. Take said six pack into a cheap music festival in Lisdoonvarna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

poo on a wall.

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I don't think a lot of people of people find it very nostalgic, only the idiots that used to do/still do it

True. It just seemed like my comment about not locking the front door caused a bigger debate than the comments about driving home after drinking all night. Having said that I've since looked back at the earlier comments and noticed a few people disagreed with driving home drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

DrumSteve wrote: »
    poo on a wall.

wtf??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

lgoring21 wrote: »
    wtf??
    You mean you don't miss takin a nice dump on a wall?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Qualify for the Eurovision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭gwhiz

Bring the Sam Maguire back to Dublin..... where is belongs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

buy a house very cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

you could enjoy the sunshine..... not anymore.:mad:

drive around in old cars without the need for the NCT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

1. Become a Brother just to beat children
    2. Become a nun just to beat kids
    3. Be a parent who can turn a blind eye to your kid getting beaten without losing custody of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Borrow money from a Bank

Advertisement