Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Ida Debate

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rob_l wrote: »
    I knew we had changed just couldn't think how

We've also grown to appreciate the comedy stylings of Jerry Lewis more as well.

Although that might be just the French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    We've also grown to appreciate the comedy stylings of Jerry Lewis more as well.

Although that might be just the French.

I still don't find Tommy Tiernan funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The species of Apes that we evolved from died out long,long ago!!

They didn't exactly die out. They became us.

A7X wrote: »
    I still don't find Tommy Tiernan funny though.

Neither do monkeys.

See? There's a link right there for ya.

Galvasean wrote: »
    They didn't exactly die out. They became us.

So you're saying we're apes that scrub up good then, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

Actually humans have become significantly taller in that space of time.
    Artwork from 1,000 years ago? My God!!!!!

You're either missing a few zeros on your years there or else you have a crazy idea about how fast evolution happens.

See AnonoBoy, notice the difference between a proper answer and a stupid statement. I do believe that yet again, You've just been....wait for it.....LAYWERED!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Bambi wrote: »
    Dunno, I find it kinda funny that so many people will uphold it as an absolute fact that we're directly descended from apes when this missing link was/is unfound for so long despite science best efforts ( and occasional attempts at fraud :pac:)

The missing link was found years ago.

The problem is in the media coverage. Everytime a half-ape,half-man fossil is discovered its called the missing link and people forget about all the other missing links that were found previously, e.g. Neanderthal, Lucy, Little Foot, etc. The missing link between apes and humans was found decades ago; all this discovery does is reinforce it, and as far as I understand this is being called the missing link between primates and mammals, which is a completely different to the missing link between apes and humans.

In a few years, another similiar fossil will be found and the media will say "the evolutionary missing link between humans and apes have been found" and most people will forget about this one and all the other ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Neither do monkeys.

See? There's a link right there for ya.

Maybe we have yet to evolve into his comedy stylings. TBH I more so see it as we evolved and he didn't, what with all his shouting nonsense and the like.

danh789 wrote: »
    See AnonoBoy, notice the difference between a proper answer and a stupid statement. I do believe that yet again, You've just been....wait for it.....LAYWERED!

Eh..... ok there young lad you've clearly taken a wrong turn somewhere. You do realise that you're still in After Hours here? :rolleyes:

And, even though my tone was sarcastic, there was a valid point to my post. You said that there's artwork from 1,000 to 2,000 years ago. Well of course there bloody well is - that is merely a speck in the history of our planet. Evolution takes MILLIONS of years to happen in hugely significant ways. If you're expecting to be able to discern if evolution is still happening from artwork from 1,000 years ago then you're very very wrong.

You're not one of these fools who thinks that the earth is only 10,000 years old or something, are you?

[edit] And your insistence on claiming that I've been.... wait for it... LAWYERED!!!!! (OMG LOLZ) when you haven't actually answered with anything except that same damn stupid Americanised catchphrase is for want of a better phrase... like, so stupid and stuff.

And also Galvasean's post merely served to point out how wrong you were. So..... wait for it.... you've been SOLICITORED!!!
    [/edit]

Eh..... ok there young lad you've clearly taken a wrong turn somewhere. You do realise that you're still in After Hours here? :rolleyes:

And, even though my tone was sarcastic, there was a valid point to my post. You said that there's artwork from 1,000 to 2,000 years ago. Well of course there bloody well is - that is merely a speck in the history of our planet. Evolution takes MILLIONS of years to happen in hugely significant ways. If you're expecting to be able to discern if evolution is still happening from artwork from 1,000 years ago then you're very very wrong.

You're not one of these fools who thinks that the earth is only 10,000 years old or something, are you?

Artwork 2000 years ago potrays the human body very well, unlike drawing from 10's of thousands of years ago. I was looking for small changes to the human body and the question was answered for me, do you understand I was lokking for slight changes over a shorter period of time

• Advertisement

Remember this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8014598.stm

So you lot are half cow and half ape.

The degradation of human life continues and you lot eat it all up like clowns. Litte insight "Do not believe everything you are told".

Degredation? I'm quite proud to be an ape they are an amazing species.

So you're saying we're apes that scrub up good then, yeah?

Basically we are a special kind of ape, known to science as the genus Homo. Homos are known for their clenliness and having significantly less hair in certain areas than the usual caveman.
    The missing link was found years ago.

The problem is in the media coverage. Everytime a half-ape,half-man fossil is discovered its called the missing link and people forget about all the other missing links that were found previously, e.g. Neanderthal, Lucy, Little Foot, etc.

Ah Little Foot, I believe he was the missing link between Apatosaurus and Camarasaurus. Not bad considering he lost his mother at such a young age.

Maybe 'lawyered' means something different to the youth of today, but in my day it meant to be rodgered (usually from behind) by someone in a position of authority or power, usually to gain something like apromotion or a pay rise...

So yeah, how about them fossils?

do you understand I was lokking for slight changes over a shorter period of time

Well you didn't state what you were lokking for so how was anyone here supposed to know?

We haven't evolved to the point of mind reading yet. Although if we had how would you know because you can't tell if someone's a mind reader from looking at an art rendering of them........ spooky, isn't it?

And also Galvasean's post merely served to point out how wrong you were. So..... wait for it.... you've been SOLICITORED!!!
    [/edit]

Okay, Im pretty sure that has something to do with selling people for sex...
    Degredation? I'm quite proud to be an ape they are an amazing species.

'Ape' isn't a species. It's a family made up of several genera and many species.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sometimes I feel like we need an After Hours chat room.

But then I realise that it would be a nightmare.

Well you didn't state what you were lokking for so how was anyone here supposed to know?

We haven't evolved to the point of mind reading yet. Although if we had how would you know because you can't tell if someone's a mind reader from looking at an art rendering of them........ spooky, isn't it?

I'm actually really sorry about that, most people with an IQ over 20 would have realised it was a typo and known the word it was meant to be, but for you I will explain. I meant to type 'looking' not 'lokking'. Do you understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Basically we are a special kind of ape, known to science as the genus Homo. Homos are known for their clenliness and having significantly less hair in certain areas than the usual caveman.

When did the discussion switch from biological taxonomy to an anthropological perspective on sexual behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They also have tendencies towards Bette Midler

I'm actually really sorry about that

And so you should be. ;)

sink wrote: »
    When did the discussion switch from biological taxonomy to an anthropological perspective on sexual behaviour.

When I decided to make a play on words joke about the official scientific genus name for humans (it's Homo).

• Advertisement

They also have tendencies towards Bette Midler

Oh no..... Bette Midler!

So tell me this, why aren't we evolving anymore?
    We are. For example, some of the most recent changes happened around the time of the Agricultural Revolution. Humans who took part in agriculture (e.g. Northern Europe) developed lactose tolerance to take advantage of excess milk throughout their whole lives. Humans who didn't take part in the agricultural revolution (e.g. in parts of Asia and Africa) didn't develop Lactose Tolerance and hence even today up to 90% of people from certain areas are lactose intolerant.

Judging by your posts you seem to think all changes are physical. Well, as was mentioned we have gotten taller and if you go back a long time you can clearly see how humans are different from human-like fossils of millions of years ago. These are much greater evidence than some pictures on a wall which aren't likely to be very detailed or accurate.

Another examples is wolves who spent time around humans eventually evolved into dogs (no fear of humans, loyalty, humanlike expressions, etc.).

If you want to talk about right now, immunity to Aids is one way in which Africans, in particular are evolving. The same thing happened at some point in history with every disease in which humans are now immune. Those pictures on the wall may not look very different to us, but I'm sure the people who drew them probably had quite different immunities to us.

It is possible that climate change, if it doesn't wipe us out, may cause selection pressure that will allow us to evolve a great deal. Better swimmers for a start. :)

Edit: I know Ape aren't a species, but this is After Hours so I'm not paying much attention to every word i write which i suppose i should!

We are. For example, some of the most recent changes happened around the time of the Agricultural Revolution. Humans who took part in agriculture (e.g. Northern Europe) developed lactose tolerance to take advantage of excess milk throughout their whole lives. Humans who didn't take part in the agricultural revolution (e.g. in parts of Asia and Africa) didn't develop Lactose Tolerance and hence even today up to 90% of people from certain areas are lactose intolerant.

Another examples is wolves who spent time around humans eventually evolved into dogs (no fear of humans, loyalty, humanlike expressions, etc.).

Immunity to Aids is one way in which Africans, in particular are evolving. The same thing happened at some point in history with every disease in which humans are now immune.

Legen....wait for it....and I hope your not lactose intolerant because here comes the Dary

Legen....wait for it....and I hope your not lactose intolerant because here comes the Dary

*facepalm*

I'm not even going to touch that one. It's way too easy.

I think I said the very same thing in CopperFace Jack's the other night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Lizards? My protegé has learned nothing from me... :(

*kills self*

Sorry, I meant Terrible Lizards!!

*facepalm*

Go on, touch it!!! But seriously if you do have something to saying just say it.....if it is that easy!

I think I said the very same thing in CopperFace Jack's the other night.

*boom* *boom*

"Thank you! You've been a great audience. I'm Galvasean, Goodnight!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Stop playing the race card!

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant Terrible Lizards!!

How very Sir Richard Owen of you.
    *boom* *boom*

"Thank you! You've been a great audience. I'm Galvasean, Goodnight!"

Yeah my 'high-brow' (aka nerd) humor didn't go down so well...

Advertisement