Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOSNEY should it open up again ?

Options
  • 05-05-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Had the privlige of visiting Mosney holiday center today (long story why)and it got me thinking would the public of today go back to taking their annual holidays here again or did this place just run its course?

From the second we drove into the main front area where you see the chalets and the big building where the pool and Dan Lowrys pub was, it kind of gave me a little butterfly tingle as i used to years ago when id go with my family when i was a kid

Everything was all there and brought back all the memories of all the holidays i had there in 70s and 80s ,so if the current residents were allocated alternative accommodation, and the place got a major renovation ,would you think it would be a viable and a entertaining holiday now in these post celtic tiger times?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Would a week in Mosney cost less than a week in spain? when you factor in the cheap food and drink in spain, it probably wouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

never ever ever never ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Was never there before. Didnt know it was still a ghetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

seanybiker wrote: »

I believe the politically correct term is 'concentration camp' thank you.

OP: No, it'll be boring and deadening to the target audience...so it'll be just like old times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Even in the 80's when my folks had no money they still didn't subject us to the tedium of a week in Mosney.

Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

more like a concentration camp you mean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Trabolgan FTW :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Salthill in Galway is where it's at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Please reopen it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Karoma wrote: »
    I believe the politically correct term is 'concentration camp' thank you.

We dont seem to have hit on the low cost model that Hitler went for though. Might pop off a few refernce books to the relevant government departments to get the ball rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

They should make it a tax haven for developers and the like. The Republic of Mosney has a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

clara lara ruled. The owner of the place loved me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Inappropriately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I fcuking bet he loved you Seany, the man-boy kind of love.

Mosney? What a sack of shít. Turn it into a prison I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

clara lara was amazing. ooh I loved everything, especially that rope where you swing out over the water. the treehouse was brilliant! and the waterslide :D I wish I was small again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

You're all talking in the past tense, is ClaraLara clsed? :mad:

Best times ever there, being abandoned on one of the islands when I was too young/much of a bitch to swim to shore, capsizing rowboats and getting an earful from the staff etc. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Went to mosney once when I was like 5, not a minute in, I fell and split my leg open. and hour later my brother flung a big stone and it hit my head. Never liked mosney after that. Claralara tho was brilliant. Is it still even opened??

Nevore wrote: »
    You're all talking in the past tense, is ClaraLara clsed? :mad:

Best times ever there, being abandoned on one of the islands when I was too young/much of a bitch to swim to shore, capsizing rowboats and getting an earful from the staff etc. :D

Eh, yes it is closed.

The owner was involved in some unpleasantness, something to do with the internet, kids and pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Eh, yes it is closed.

The owner was involved in some unpleasantness, something to do with the internet, kids and pictures.
    Lawl. How'd I miss that?!
    Ah well, doesn't take away from the memories imo. :) Shame someone didn't take it on though.

• Advertisement

Nevore wrote: »
    Lawl. How'd I miss that?!
    Ah well, doesn't take away from the memories imo. :) Shame someone didn't take it on though.

It happened around the same time as that Judge Curtin in Cork was nabbed, i think that took some of the heat away.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Eh, yes it is closed.

Sounds like the start of a dodgy horror film. A group of 30-somethings pretending to be teenagers get lost and end up spending the night there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Clara Lara was freaking awesome, all those places to get wet and mucky, and cameras everywhere. I felt like such a star. Especially in the changing roo.... oh.

Anyone know any good counsellors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

True story: That guy actually grabbed a hold of me for messing around and mocking his English accent, he threatened to throw us out too. Then a few years later he is on the news for downloading kiddie images ''shudders''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Stekelly wrote: »
    We dont seem to have hit on the low cost model that Hitler went for though. Might pop off a few refernce books to the relevant government departments to get the ball rolling.

Well,unlike hitler's camps,if the "inmates" dont like it they can fcuck off home.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

I'd love if it was reopened, I lived and worked there for a summer when I was 17 back in 2000.
    Got £80, food and accommodation for a 40 hour week and drank every penny of it, Best summer ever.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Trabolgan FTW, me and my brothers broke so much stuff there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Was there a couple of times for days out and for Community Games, it was great craic but thats cos you were staying away from home with friends in your own wee chalet.
    Could never imagine staying in it for a week on "proper" holidays :eek: and that was when i was 8 so could i imagine going now..........no!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Eh, Clara Lara's still open. Or at least it was last summer anyway, well after that whole "unpleasantness" emerged.
    http://www.claralara.com/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

dos30 wrote: »
    I'd love if it was reopened, I lived and worked there for a summer when I was 17 back in 2000.
    Got £80, food and accommodation for a 40 hour week and drank every penny of it, Best summer ever.:D

Same here, except a few years earlier. Best Summer ever, considering it was the greatest hovel on this planet. Plus it seemed to attract a certain type of clientèle, who, shall we say, were perhaps not the classiest.

Level it, I say. Make it into a nature reserve, or nudist colony, but not a holiday camp.

Advertisement