Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Map update

• 13-04-2009 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Hi,

The 2010 map updates are available incase anyone did not know. I am downloading it as I write, I have the Numap guarantee scheme so I registered my new Nuvi 215 and discovered there is a 2010 update available..
    I have no idea what updates have been employed as yet.. Maybe someone
    else may be more informed then myself?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks. Weren't they supposed to notify us by e-mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks. Weren't they supposed to notify us by e-mail?
    That's what I thought too. Bizarre version numbering too .. the last one I downloaded with my nuMaps guarantee (only on the 19th of March!) was 2009.1.

EDIT: Just downloading them now, and noticed there's a check box to tick to receive emails about future updates at the bottom of the page the download manager is launched from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I have the 2010.10 installed now. The m50 - N4 junction has been updated finally...Their is a few other slip roads added near the N4 to the maps also...
    Few more poi's added.. Tallaght hospital is renamed to "Adelaide and Meath" on the 2010.10 maps compared to the 2009 for some reason? The firhouse road (R114) has a minor update to it aswell since it was widened awhile back. Blessington co wicklow is still missing some of the new estates that were built a few years back in 2005..
    A couple of closed down garages are still floating about on the maps also. Although thats not essential, it's the essential things that matters.
    I would be interested to know any other discreprincies people may find..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Hey, Im on the verge of buying this 250W http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/garmin-nuvi-250w-widescreen-full-europe-version-9-maps-i148.html but it comes with 2009 maps, will I be able to upgrade for free when it arrives? - or is that nuMaps guarantee something you need to buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Didn't know this was out either, I thought 2009 was the latest until I went to register my wifes new 265wt. Installed it last night, it has a lot of the newer roads around me on it, such as the Ongar Distributor Road and it has more or less the full length of the M4 as far as Athlone now.
    I also like how for some of the POIs it has the companys logo, for example for hotels belonging to a chain it will display the chains logo on the map.

To the poster above, yes, you'll be able to get the 2010 maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Upgraded from 2008 maps with recently purchased nüMaps Lifetime yesterday, have not tried it out yet but suggests different routes to places travelled already, will report back after the DSI run this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

How much does it cost to update the maps (Garmin Nuvi 200) ?

Unit was bought at Christmas but the maps were never updated to the latest version, so was just wondering would it be expensive to update them ?

Thanks

Cost me € 104.34 excl. VAT (€ 119.99 total) to update a Garmin Zumo (nüMaps Lifetime option) works well with several updates already noted, well worth it in my opinion
    You can do a cheaper once off update, not sure what that costs

bogman wrote: »
    Cost me € 104.34 excl. VAT (€ 119.99 total) to update a Garmin Zumo (nüMaps Lifetime option) works well with several updates already noted, well worth it in my opinion
    You can do a cheaper once off update, not sure what that costs

Thanks, but I think the unit cost less than that, so would be as well to buy a new one and get a map update with it.

eamonnq wrote: »
    so would be as well to buy a new one and get a map update with it.
    No, not really, as you'll be faced with the same expense again in a year or two. Bogman's post refers to nüMaps Lifetime, which allows you to get up to 4 updates per year for the lifetime of the device. I don't think it would be worth the cost of a one-off map upgrade though, which is probably around 70-80 euro. But if you see yourself hanging on to the GPS receiver without upgrading the hardware for a few years, then the nüMaps Lifetime might make sense.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, will have a look around and see what my options are, but I may as well upgrade my Satnav, and then take it from there.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I had an unregistered nuvi 200w outside the 60 day period. I used the method described here to upgrade to the new version. I also now have Mapsource with full Europe maps installed on the PC I used.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`m just about to purchase the lifetime maps but I cant find Ireland listed in the drop down menu list of countries when entering your address details??:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still not a great update, installing it now and going through it in RoadTrip (their Mac application). Sisters housing estate build in 2006 is still missing - reported this to Navteq ages ago. M50 junction upgrades are in and they've done an attempt (but wildly wrong) for the N4 Lucan Bypass upgrade.

I would be all day submitting name corrections for Maynooth alone - Bouble Lane (Double Lane), Dillows Row (Dillons Row), Maynooth Castel (Castle), etc, etc.

MYOB wrote: »
    Still not a great update, installing it now and going through it in RoadTrip (their Mac application). Sisters housing estate build in 2006 is still missing - reported this to Navteq ages ago. M50 junction upgrades are in and they've done an attempt (but wildly wrong) for the N4 Lucan Bypass upgrade.

I would be all day submitting name corrections for Maynooth alone - Bouble Lane (Double Lane), Dillows Row (Dillons Row), Maynooth Castel (Castle), etc, etc.

Mmm.. I may hold off on this for the moment then. I finally found the country option (listed under Eire) but havent ordered it yet.

I have 2009 maps installed(free install at the start of the year) so maybe that will do for now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The irritation of the map insisting I had jumped the wall in to Liffey Valley everytime I took the M50->N4 Westbound link was enough to make me install it...

Ordered it and have it downloading now. I couldnt get the download plugin to install at all at first but it was an issue with Safari Beta so downloading in Firefox instead.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

bought a nuvi 205(w) that arrived today! yay! the map section says it is city NT 2008 maps installed. sound sold. The cable has a little orange label that says "lifetime updates included with this unit" so hopefully I can update it later tonight and get latest maps.

Cable? Lifetime updates? Very very posh, us 255 non-wide users had to provide our own cable and got 90 days updates...

no no, it was attached to the power cable. I had to source a USB cable myself. luckily had one on an old camera. The 2010 link said it was free for the next 61 days for me? hmm.. maybe thats just that particular update. who knows.
    Anyways, I noticed somethings straight away. on NT 2008 maps only the motorway and main roads had speed limits on them for me. but I took the same route to work today with the NT 2010 update and all roads had limits correctly posted on them. My only very small gripe with the Garmin so far is that it does not BEEP when I exceed the posted speed limit etc. that would be a nice addition. anyone know of a hack or extra to do this? I've seen it on other models.

cheers

• Advertisement

Anybody else have their latest software update freeze, my zumo 550 did just that on Saturday (never happened b4) had uploaded a route to it earlier in the day, met 3 others running Zumos with latest s/ware having same problem recently (and one with the 2008 version)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

You can examine the latest Navteq maps (incorporated in the Garmin 2010.1 update) here:

http://www.us.map24.com/

bogman wrote: »
    Anybody else have their latest software update freeze, my zumo 550 did just that on Saturday (never happened b4) had uploaded a route to it earlier in the day, met 3 others running Zumos with latest s/ware having same problem recently (and one with the 2008 version)
    My zumo's fine, with the latest map update. No freezing.

nickhx wrote: »
    You can examine the latest Navteq maps (incorporated in the Garmin 2010.1 update) here:

http://www.us.map24.com/

Super Link!

Happened just once with the 550 Krusty_Clown
    Thanks for that excellent link nickhx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

hi guys can u help. I bought a garmin nuvi 200w two days ago and have downloaded the update. my nav has uk and ireland but its saying i can download the europe on. but wen i save to computer it wont let me launch it. can u help

Maps installed on this device:
    Unlk/Reg Sheet,CNE NT 2009,UK & Ireland Limited
    Region: City Navigator Europe NT 2009 UK & Ireland Limited, Deluxe All Regions, Aug 08

Map Downloads:
    The maps listed below are available for you to download to your device until they expire.

View map download user guide.

Download: City Navigator® Europe NT 2010 Map Update
    Download Again
    Expires: Jul 10, 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

got my 765t yesterday and have been trying in vain ever since to get the 2010 updates to install.

Firstly the bloody updater claims the PC is not connected to the web and having extracted all the files and didlied the setup.exe to build the maps it claims there are some missing files

its total carp !

Anyone else experience this or is this a Vista thing /
    Ta
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Might be a vista thing as I had only one slight problem when updating my wifes. I can't remember what browser I was using at the time, it was either Explorer or Firefox but whichever one I was using at the time it won't run the installer so I switched to the other and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

I purchased my 255 roughly a year ago. I only just registered it just there, and can see no option to get my first map pack download for free? I thought the first one was supposed to be free? no?

Keeps asking me for £60!

• Advertisement

Free within 60 days of activation of the unit I would think.

When you buy the unit, the maps would need to be updated, as it could have been manufactured well before you buy it, so to have latest maps you get the free map update within a certain time of activating the unit.

Advertisement