Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being an Atheist in Ireland is a Cnut

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Yeah I can copy and paste too. I've already responded to pretty much all of that from yourself in some form in the past but you just keep ignoring my responses. I'm not bothered responding again,

So why does God tell us to kill people who don't believe in him and how do you reconcile that with the idea of a moral God?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yeah I can copy and paste too. I've already responded to pretty much all of that from yourself in some form in the past but you just keep ignoring my responses. I'm not bothered responding again,

So why does God tell us to kill people who don't believe in him and how do you reconcile that with the idea of a moral God?

I wrote that all myself actually, took me a good 30 - 40 mins. I had the book Lee Strobel's Case for Faith in my hand. If you wouldn't mind dealing with my points, it'd be appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jakkas, I read all of that. Well put together arguement..

so do you believe in Transubstanciation too?

That's one of the main things I have trouble understanding how people can take it seriously. I mean it's supposed to be literal, not symbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,142 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't have any problems being atheist. It's when you go around saying "I don't believe in the things that you believe in so There" that you run into trouble.

That's one of the main things I have trouble understanding how people can take it seriously. I mean it's supposed to be literal, not symbolic.

Only depending on which branch of christianity you subscribe to. Some take the process to be a figurative one, whereas Catholicism takes it to be a literal transformation.

That's one of the main things I have trouble understanding how people can take it seriously.

No, I take a reformed view on the subject. Christ is present in Spirit at the Eucharist, however, the bread and the wine does not change physical substance. We do this to remember Christ's crucifixion, and the passing of the New Covenant into existence.

Christ says in Luke 22, "This is the blood of the New Covenant which is shed for you and for many."

This is speaking about what he would have to endure in Isaiah 53, and the New Covenant refers to Jeremiah 31:31-34, which states there would be a new relationship with God, which would differ to the old one. Isaiah 56 goes on to explain that God is a God for all nations. This happened through Jesus Christ.

Edit: I thank you for your kind words, I do have reasons for believing what I believe, and reading Christian apologetics can make sense of the faith. If you have any questions feel free to leave a message on my profile.

• Advertisement

Jakkass wrote: »
    I wrote that all myself actually, took me a good 30 - 40 mins. I had the book Lee Strobel's Case for Faith in my hand. If you wouldn't mind dealing with my points, it'd be appreciated?

I've already responded to them numerous times. They're basically the teleological argument and the cosmological argument along with the faulty logic that archaeological evidence that some of the places described in the bible exist implies that supernatural events happened there. It doesn't

You keep bringing out the same few arguments over and over and ignoring everything I say in response. You don't want me to respond, all you want is for me to say "Hey wait, you're right!!!!!111111!!!"

I've already responded to them numerous times. They're basically the teleological argument and the cosmological argument along with the faulty logic that archaeological evidence that some of the places described in the bible exist implies that supernatural events happened there. It doesn't

You keep bringing out the same few arguments over and over and ignoring everything I say in response. You don't want me to respond, all you want is for me to say "Hey wait, you're right!!!!!111111!!!"

Actually Sam, there is quite a lot of material in there that I haven't heard an answer from you before.

I think you have hardened your heart so that you aren't even open to the possibility of God's existence. I hope one day that you will let the barriers go. These are strong reasons for my faith, I haven't heard anyone actually deal with them, instead of just evading them by saying "I don't like the cosmological argument". Tell me why perhaps?

I'm not interested in your aggressive tone, wait until you calm down before you reply. I don't know how so much hate for Christianity, and Christian belief entered into your heart, but I hope one day it will leave you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No, I take a reformed view on the subject. Christ is present in Spirit at the Eucharist, however, the bread and the wine does not change physical substance. We do this to remember Christ's crucifixion, and the passing of the New Covenant into existence.

Christ says in Luke 22, "This is the blood of the New Covenant which is shed for you and for many."

This is speaking about what he would have to endure in Isaiah 53, and the New Covenant refers to Jeremiah 31:31-34, which states there would be a new relationship with God, which would differ to the old one. Isaiah 56 goes on to explain that God is a God for all nations. This happened through Jesus Christ.

Ok, that's commendable. So would it be fair to say that you follow an altered version of Christianity? One that happens to disagree with some aspects of scripture?

The reason I consider myself to be Atheist is because the Church does not give people a choice in what context they choose to hold their faith. It clearly states what you are supposed to blindly agree with and believe in and states that people who don't believe will be punished. If it was a more philosophical form of preaching/teaching it wouldn't seem so bad, I guess.

But it isn't. The Vatican stand by their old fashioned way of thinking and refuse to adapt to a more modern interpretation of the Bible.

I have nothing against what others believe in btw. I'm just curious as to how they manage to do it.

Actually Sam, there is quite a lot of material in there that I haven't heard an answer from you before.

I've now written responses to each of your arguments but I won't post it until you stop dodging my question.

Why does God tell us to kill non-believers and how do you reconcile this with the idea of a moral God?

Ok, that's commendable. So would it be fair to say that you follow an altered version of Christianity? One that happens to disagree with some aspects of scripture?

It's called Protestantism. I personally agree with the Vatican on a lot of issues, but on some I find their interpretation isn't valid.
    The reason I consider myself to be Atheist is because the Church does not give people a choice in what context they choose to hold their faith. It clearly states what you are supposed to blindly agree with and believe in and states that people who don't believe will be punished. If it was a more philosophical form of preaching/teaching it wouldn't seem so bad, I guess.

Every man should read the Bible for himself. We shouldn't be left blind, but we should have full vision of God's will for us through reading and studying.

A lot of the Bible itself is philosophical, such as the book of John, dealing with who Jesus was in comparison to the more legalistic Jesus of Matthew, Mark and Luke. I think it's an important balance to ask. One of my favourite passages is in John when Pilate asks "What is truth?" to Jesus :)
    But it isn't. The Vatican stand by their old fashioned way of thinking and refuse to adapt to a more modern interpretation of the Bible.

By modern though, I find that some people can alter it from it's original context. I think the Church needs to change the way it does church, rather than the Gospel and the text itself. This applies to the Church of Ireland (my denomination) as well as Catholicism.
    I have nothing against what others believe in btw. I'm just curious as to how they manage to do it.

Indeed, I like people who are true seekers trying to understand how people like me live our lives, so thanks for your response :)

• Advertisement

I've now written responses to each of your arguments but I won't post it until you stop dodging my question.

Why does God tell us to kill non-believers and how do you reconcile this with the idea of a moral God?

This is a question pertaining to Judaism. The Jewish law of Moses doesn't permit unbelievers to live in the land of Israel. All must partake in Jewish festivals etc. You can read from Genesis to Deuteronomy for yourself.

In Christianity the penalty of death can no longer be given, as we have received mercy ourselves. (See John chapter 8, "Let the one who has not sinned cast the first stone" concerning the death penalty of the Jews for adultery) I've explained this to you before though. I see Christ's understanding of the laws of Moses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ass, do not post in this thread again, or I will ban you.
    ntlbell, stop trolling.
    Zillah wrote: »
    Such vitriol. Every time there's a thread involving atheists in After Hours you charge in foaming at the mouth screaming about how much you hate atheists and trying to demean others for voicing an opinion while trying to sound cool.

You don't sound cool.
    You don't have to be here.
    Shut up.
    You don't get to tell people to shut up here.
    Don't do it again.

dublinario wrote: »
    He's right. A "JESUS WOZ ERE" scrawled on a freshly unearthed temple wall in Bethlehem was recently carbon-dated to 15 AD.
    Feckin' teenagers.
    There is evidence he performed miracles and evidence of the resurrection
    Anecdotal evidence does not count.
    The resurrection? Maybe he just walked off into the sunset. Maybe he was taken aboard an alien spacecraft.

A lot of the bible is written in the form of analogies, so reading them as truth is a bit naive in this day and age.

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Oh yeah its rumbling on just fine but you know,to me it just seems a waste of space.Thats all.
    Nobody is forcing you to read this thread.

Jakkass, I'd also like an answer to a question that you didn't answer before. Can you give me a logical reason why one would choose Christianity over the other thousands of religions which have as much historical evidence to back them up.

If I was to switch to theism tomorrow, why would I choose Christianity over all the others?

And which branch of Christianity should I choose and why?
    Souther baptist FTW.

Here's the deal.
    There is no god.
    Who created the universe?
    I don't know if it was created by someone. Maybe the big bang theory is correct.
    Maybe it was a scientific experiment carried out in another universe.
    Maybe you are all figments of the imagination of a demented man and don't actually exist at all.

There really is no god. There never was. Just as the ancient roman gods never existed, or the Greek or the Norse or the Hindu or whatever gods do not exist.
    What makes the Christian/Jewish/Islamic god any different to any of these other gods?
    Miracles?
    They Romans etc. believed that their gods controlled the elements in much the same way that many of those who believe in the Abrahamic god say that he controls the elements.

Religious belief is something which came about in more ignorant times. An age when people tried to understand natualr events. The conclusion of the majority was that it must be some higher power causing this. They then looked at past events, picked something they had done and believed, or were led to believe, that this act had angered the god(s).

Following on from this they passed laws against carrying out certain acts which they linked to natural phenomena and a religion was born.

Over the years, power hungry people (mostly men) took advantage of the fear and ignorance of people and further enforced these laws.
    As science progressed, religious leaders outlawed certain practices and killed anyone who tried to aid the progress of man.

Only in the last ~200 years have we seen religion being ignored by scientists and we have made massive progress as a species.
    The war still rages though.
    Take stem cell research as an example.
    Religious fundamentalists are staunchly against this. They fear that if they stand by and do nothing, that their god will be angry and they won't get into heaven. They'll tell you they are protesting because it's morally wrong, but deep in their hearts they know that they are doing it for their own selfish reason.

Then I fogot the rest of what I was going to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm going to let other religions defend themselves. I have enough reason to believe what I believe, and I'll go through them in headings:

1) Messianic prophesy, over three hundred prophesies concerning the Messiah in the Tanakh were fulfilled by Christ's ministry on the earth. The more of these that were fulfilled in the person of Jesus makes it more and more unlikely that Jesus was indeed not the Messiah. Over 300 checks and balances to show that Jesus was indeed the Messiah and the Lord is quite an extensive test of validity.

2) Christian history does not make sense without a Resurrection event:
    Let's go through this bit by bit:
    a. You have been with a charismatic preacher for 3 years in Israel,
    b. You have seen this man endure trials of all sorts, and you have come to know His personal character during this time.
    c. You see this man die.
    x. -
    d. You and the others who were with you at the time, spread the teachings of this individuals thousands of miles throughout the Gentile world, preaching that we can become a new Creation in Christ Jesus if we are baptized and confess that Jesus is Lord (2 Corinthians 5).
    e. These men are zealous for the spiritual truths that this man taught throughout His worldly existence, even until the point of death, by stoning (James the Righteous - see Josephus' Jewish Antiquities), Thomas who is believed to have been gored with a spear in India, Peter said to be crucified upside down, James Son of Zebedee who was said to have been put to death by Herod in the book of Acts.
    Now, what on earth can explain the difference between d and e. How on earth if you have seen your best friend, if you have seen this man who has testified to such truths while alive, could they possibly have endured to spread it as zealously as they did and until the point of death? It does not make sense unless something extraordinary happened inbetween both of these events. I'm not saying that this necessarily has to be the Resurrection, but it certainly gives credence to it.
    If you cannot explain to me conclusively how all 11 disciples went through to the lengths that they did in a reasonable manner, then this will always give credence to something extraordinary having happened to bring these men to those lengths.
    Then taking into account that in the accounts the mention of women running to the tomb would have been seen as laughable in Jewish society at the time, a lack of an attempt to cover this up would indicate that it was indeed the honest and frank truth of the situation.
    There are more and more textual implications like these in the Gospels themselves.

3) Creation without a higher power does not make sense.
    The probability of the world coming into existence through natural processes, according to Roger Penrose is in the millions of billions of zeroes. 10 to the power of 10 to the power of 123 is quite a huge number. This is commonly deemed by mathematicians and physicists to be mathematical impossibility. It would seem to me that the prudent thing to do would be to look to the possibility of a Creator or a means of causation to explain how the universe came into existence given the co-ordination of the planets in the right distance from the Sun to create life, and the forming of the earth with the correct chemical composition in the universe to sustain life. It is incredible to me to suggest that this world was not created by a supernatural force given that what is natural is frequently observable, what happened in the formation of the earth is not frequently observable by any means. In addition to this, when looking to how the universe has come into being, we can only assess what is within the universe, rather than what is external to it.
    It's quite frankly ridiculous that those who believe that miracles are an impossibility can deem that the creation of the world by purely natural means is in anyway more probable. Miracles by their nature are hugely improbable by natural means if and of their own, however if there is a supernatural force behind said miracles by which the laws of physics, chemistry, and biology are known, then it is rather probable that indeed that miracles can take place, just as it is quite probable that the universe came into existence through a supernatural force. This gives credence to me that the earth is the creation of God.
    The reasoning that William Lane Craig common proponent of the kalam cosmological argument, gives for believing in a God of miracles is as follows:
    a) God makes sense of the universes origins.
    b) God makes sense of the universes complexity.
    c) God makes sense of objective moral values.
    d) God makes sense of the resurrection.
    e) God can be immediately experienced
    (I'll quote from him when dealing with spiritual experiences)

4) Spiritual experiences - These are the strongest witness and conviction of an individuals faith, and this is where the atheist is left to struggle in misunderstanding over these type of issues. William Lane Craig has commonly claimed that the Holy Spirit is the greatest witness to a Christian about the truth of Christianity. If I may give an example from Lee Strobel's Case for Faith, published by Zondervan, which is a book I'd recommend you all to read if you are genuinely curious. You have no excuse, there is a range of Christian apologetics that you can read if you want answers:

So, although secondary evidence is still useful. The only way that the mental barriers that people put up before God will be lifted will be through trust, and asking to God to open up your heart so that you may accept Jesus as Lord.

Paul in 1 Corinthians chapters 1 - 3 says the Cross is foolishness for those who are perishing, but for those who are being saved it is the power of God.

Yet you are without excuse, according to the book of Romans chapter 1 as God has made Himself apparent through creation.
    Experiences also convince me of my faith, as I can discuss with my Christian friends, all of differing denominations of Christ's faith, and they can all discuss with me about how Christ is working in their lives, and about spiritual challenges and struggles we all have under the armour of the Lord (Ephesians 6).

If you do not understand spiritual experiences, you will forever misunderstand how the average Christian operates.

5) Historical sources for the existence of Jesus of Nazareth -
    Writers such as Josephus, Tactius, Pliny the Younger, and so on reference the existence of Jesus of Nazareth and the early Christian community in their works. If you take a read of Josephus' - Jewish Antiquities in particular it has references to both Jesus of Nazareth and the Crucifixion, Christians, and James the Righteous and his stoning to death. There is also a broad historical consensus with slight disagreement that the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem was the site where Jesus was crucified. This gives credence to me that Jesus was indeed crucified. This in particular is a problem for Islam stating that Jesus was not crucified at all.

6) Archaeology, Geology and History backing up the Bible.
    Figures such as Xerxes (if you have seen 300 this is the same Xerxes), Nebuchadnezzar, Hezekiah, Sennachera, Balthasar, Darius, Cyrus, and so on have been substantiated in secular historical sources of the age. Likewise, the construction of the walls of Jerusalem, the construction of the 2nd Temple, the captivity of the Judeans and the Israelites, and so on are also backed up historically. Archaeological sites such as the Zedekiahs Cave underneath the city of Jerusalem, King David's Tower, and Biblical sites such as Herod's palace, Temple coins from Jerusalem, Pilates residence in Caesarea, the ruins of the city of Capernaum and so on have all been found, and there are many more promising archaeological projects in the future which may substantiate the Biblical record more over the first few years. I have also mentioned the likelihood of the occurrence of Sodom and Gomorrah, and it's citation by many geologists, if you take a look at Google Scholar or JSTOR you will find information on these.

7) Authenticity of the Bible - The New Testament is one of the most widely circulated pieces of work in the Greek world, and it has indeed circulated far further than works of Greek philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle. Indeed, if we are to reject the New Testament as a reliable and authoriative historical witness to the life of Christ, we would also have to reject works which aren't anywhere near as widely accounted for as the New Testament accounts themselves. The Bible as a whole compiled in two periods, the Tanakh compiled by the Jewish leaders in 450BC, and the Bible including the New Testament was compiled in 360AD at the council of Nicea. However we have evidence through the church fathers that these books were widely used in the first century:
    A good youtube video might help on this:

There was perfect reason for the selection of these books over other texts that were released at much later dates.

How these reasons aren't considered logical, are beyond me, quite frankly beyond me. These to me are very very strong indicators of my faith, and of it's truth and validity in the world. Feel free to try and pick them apart now :)

All of the above can be summarised as:
    I actually need to just get a life
    I need all the the above and more to validate my life because I can't do it for myself with my own actions.
    ...and O' - I probably need to get laid more often!

As to the original OP -
    Just repeat the following to the old out of date ageing hags:
    11tn05e.jpg

This is a question pertaining to Judaism. The Jewish law of Moses doesn't permit unbelievers to live in the land of Israel. All must partake in Jewish festivals etc. You can read from Genesis to Deuteronomy for yourself.

In Christianity the penalty of death can no longer be given, as we have received mercy ourselves. I've explained this to you before though.

You say it pertains to Judaism and yet it's in our bible as well as theirs.

Where does it say that the penalty of death can no longer be given?

Where does it explicitly say which law we are to follow?

If all these antiquated laws have been overruled, why are there so many people who have read the bible from cover to cover who do not know this?

Why is it still in there if it has been overruled? Surely that will cause mass confusion and planes in buildings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

1) Messianic prophesy, over three hundred prophesies concerning the Messiah in the Tanakh were fulfilled by Christ's ministry on the earth. The more of these that were fulfilled in the person of Jesus makes it more and more unlikely that Jesus was indeed not the Messiah. Over 300 checks and balances to show that Jesus was indeed the Messiah and the Lord is quite an extensive test of validity.
    Don't know enough to comment, but I'm guessing that these prophecies weren't airtight definitions of specific future events, but widely open to different interpretations and easy to fit to the events in Jesus's life.
    Now, what on earth can explain the difference between d and e. How on earth if you have seen your best friend, if you have seen this man who has testified to such truths while alive, could they possibly have endured to spread it as zealously as they did and until the point of death? It does not make sense unless something extraordinary happened inbetween both of these events. I'm not saying that this necessarily has to be the Resurrection, but it certainly gives credence to it.
    If you cannot explain to me conclusively how all 11 disciples went through to the lengths that they did in a reasonable manner, then this will always give credence to something extraordinary having happened to bring these men to those lengths.
    That's very weak, in fairness. Look at any cult today. Look at any martyr in history. Witnessing a miracle is not necessary for one to become so strongly believing in something that they would die for it.
    By that logic, the creation of a higher power doesn't make sense.

Until there's actual evidence, which there might never be, I'm just going to stick with I don't know exactly how the universe originated.
    4) Spiritual experiences
    Misinterpretations of profound, yet natural, feelings, IMO.
    7) Authenticity of the Bible - The New Testament is one of the most widely circulated pieces of work in the Greek world, and it has indeed circulated far further than works of Greek philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle. Indeed, if we are to reject the New Testament as a reliable and authoriative historical witness to the life of Christ, we would also have to reject works which aren't anywhere near as widely accounted for as the New Testament accounts themselves.
    But, unless I'm very much mistaken, can you not apply that logic to the Qur'an also? Or any other religious text?
    How these reasons aren't considered logical, are beyond me, quite frankly beyond me. These to me are very very strong indicators of my faith, and of it's truth and validity in the world. Feel free to try and pick them apart now :)
    Well, you can read above what I think of them.

In summary:
    I don't know enough about 1.
    2 is very weak.
    3 is illogical. You believe in a creator which you can't explain where he came from because the universe couldn't have come into existence on its own.
    4 is very subjective. I would say it is a bit delusional.
    5 and 6 are fine, but only explain that some purely natural (as opposed to supernatural) events from the Bible are possibly true.
    If I were to accept 7, I would have to believe that any supernatural event described in any other widely circulated historical text were true also.

You say it pertains to Judaism and yet it's in our bible as well as theirs.

Where does it say that the penalty of death can no longer be given?

Where does it explicitly say which law we are to follow?

If all these antiquated laws have been overruled, why are there so many people who have read the bible from cover to cover who do not know this?

Why is it still in there if it has been overruled? Surely that will cause mass confusion and planes in buildings?

Sam, I'm not going to continue with you, if you are going to ask my questions, just merely to reject every single answer I have given you. I've explained my understanding of it, and that's all I can do.

Since you stopped dodging my question, here are my responses:
    That's just not true. I know it's not true because that would be proof and if we had proof then faith would be redundant. Faith is still required, therefore nothing has yet conclusively shown Jesus to be the messiah. I would venture that the evidence is actually very shaky and is only considered evidence by someone who already wants to believe and is prepared to overlook the shakiness of it
    Let's go through this bit by bit:
    You believe the Christian God is the only true God and yet followers of other religions have shown just as much zeal as the followers of Christ. Therefore it is entirely possible for people to fight to the death for a religion that is not true. We only have to look to 9/11 to prove that

I've already covered that multiple times
    4) Spiritual experiences - These are the strongest witness and conviction of an individuals faith,
    People have delusions and people make sh!t up. And members of other religions have had spiritual experiences that "prove" to them the existence of their God. There are spiritual experiences to "prove" all manner of crap from ghosts to aliens to God

Evidence that places and people existed is not evidence of divine intervention. At all. You really need to stop bringing that point up because it is demonstrably, obviously faulty logic. Unearthing the skeleton of an angel is evidence of divinity but finding out that Sodom existed proves nothing more than Sodom existed and someone claimed something happened there.
    7) Authenticity of the Bible - The New Testament is one of the most widely circulated pieces of work in the Greek world, and it has indeed circulated far further than works of Greek philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle. Indeed, if we are to reject the New Testament as a reliable and authoriative historical witness to the life of Christ, we would also have to reject works which aren't anywhere near as widely accounted for as the New Testament accounts themselves.
    No, we wouldn't. The bible has shown itself not to be a reliable and authoritative account by its numerous errors and contradictions which you refuse to even look at

Sam, I'm not going to continue with you, if you are going to ask my questions, just merely to reject every single answer I have given you. I've explained my understanding of it, and that's all I can do.

In fact I only reject the answers that don't fit the available facts. It just so happens that very few of your answers appear to fit the available facts. You made a statement that the penalty of death is no longer allowed and I asked you where it says that, among a few more clarifying questions. What the hell is wrong with that?

I know you're used to religious reasoning where its enough to just state something without any supporting evidence but asking you to back up your statement is not the same as "rejecting every single answer you have given me"

When I ask you where it says that the penalty of death is no longer allowed I'm not trying to imply that it is still allowed, I'm honestly asking you where it says that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

To all you believers out there just watch the Zeitgiest movie on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNf-P_5u_Hw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Ass wrote: »
    tl;dr

but the girl in the video is pretty hot

Yeah, I'm only thinking about teabagging her when she starts going on about all that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah, I'm only thinking about teabagging her when she starts going on about all that.

I'd jizz on her glasses.

Now that I've responded to your points, I'd like you to respond to one that you keep skipping over. You might not like the way I responded to your points but I still responded so I'd appreciate a response to this:
    me wrote:
    Jakkass, I'd also like an answer to a question that you didn't answer before. Can you give me a logical reason why one would choose Christianity over the other thousands of religions which have as much historical evidence to back them up.

If I was to switch to theism tomorrow, why would I choose Christianity over all the others?

And which branch of Christianity should I choose and why?

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Don't know enough to comment, but I'm guessing that these prophecies weren't airtight definitions of specific future events, but widely open to different interpretations and easy to fit to the events in Jesus's life.

No, they really aren't. A select few:
    1) Be born in Bethlehem of Judea (Jesus is the only Messiah claimant to be born in Bethlehem) (Micah 5:2)
    2) To ride into Jerusalem on a donkey, to be welcomed (Zechariah 9:10)
    3) To be put to death (Isaiah 53)
    4) To be ridiculed, mocked, and to have people cast lots for his posessions (Psalm 22)
    5) To be buried in a rich mans tomb (Joseph of Arimethea) (Isaiah 53:9)

There are a lot more of these. You can imagine, as more prophesies unfold about the Messiah and His identity, the more and more refined the actual probability of Jesus not being the Messiah actually is.

It's like if you are guessing about who a celebrity is in 20 questions, after 20 questions your option will be a lot more refined than it was when you started. Now just think about the probability of being wrong after over 300 questions. You have to admit that this is a reasonable check and balance to check if someone fits the description of Messiah.
    That's very weak, in fairness. Look at any cult today. Look at any martyr in history. Witnessing a miracle is not necessary for one to become so strongly believing in something that they would die for it.

I don't think so though. When we are looking at the Resurrection, we would have to compare Christianity as a large large scale project in the 1st century with huge success in the Roman Empire, something that could only be attributed to having a huge drive. Like, Christianity spread from India in the east to Rome in the west by the time the first century was drawing to a close. The Apostles made huge successes, were persecuted heavily. If they were doing this for a lie, you would have to admit it would be very very easy to throw in the towel. Modern cults have the comfort of living without that scale of persecution in the West, you've seen how the Church of Scientology has actually taken advantage of the Western legal system to be used as a relative defence for it's religion and practices. Christianity didn't have that. Followers of God were put to the lions.

You would have to take the followers consciences into account also:
    If it was just one individual I could understand how that would come into play. However if it was several individuals, it would be a much much harder efforts to get all of these people onboard if they were doing this in the plain of day knowledge that they were deceiving people.

We have another possibility however, what if the Apostles actually believed this themselves? They had known Jesus for 3 years, they would hardly mistake him for someone else after being raised from the dead.

Can you see how big a problem this is explaining Christianity as a myth when the obvious conclusion seems to be that something incredible must have happened to drive these people to do what they did?
    By that logic, the creation of a higher power doesn't make sense.

A necessary being doesn't have to be created. James Sadowsky argues quite effectively that if we go on infinitely saying Y causes Z and X causes Y and so on. The statement is never fulfilled as one never actually finds a root cause. Nothing actually causes anything. There can be no such thing as infinity in a finite universe. Humans even struggle with the mathematical concept of it. But yeah, check out some of his philosophy I think it's titled "Why there cannot be an infinite regress". It's definitely in Brian Davies - Philosophy of Religion an Anthology if you are ever curious.

Until there's actual evidence, which there might never be, I'm just going to stick with I don't know exactly how the universe originated.

Well the same could be asked of a purely naturalistic definition of the world. A higher power should certainly be seen as a real possibility, far from the ridiculous if a naturalistic explanation of the world is as improbable as it is.
    Misinterpretations of profound, yet natural, feelings, IMO.

This is my point. When I and several other Christians all of different denominations can tell me about their spiritual experiences and struggles, I can only conclude that there is something more than just my subjective whim involved.
    But, unless I'm very much mistaken, can you not apply that logic to the Qur'an also? Or any other religious text?

You should look at theology concerning the accuracy of the text in the Bible. Most are in agreement that there are about a handful of differences in rendering between the manuscripts such as the Codex Sinaticus (the most recent found), and the Codex Vaticanus, which would confirm that the Bible is 99.5% authentic. Even in the codexes where the rendering does differ in most cases it is a repetition of a passage that was already in another Gospel.

As for the Qur'an. I'll let you discuss that with Muslims. There is a lot of discussion between critics of Islam and Muslims concerning Al Bukharis Hadith volume 6 concerning how the Qur'an was compiled. However, I'm not an authority on this, perhaps you could start a thread in the Islam forum?

I'm going to make my case for the Bible however :)

Now that I've responded to your points, I'd like you to respond to one that you keep skipping over. You might not like the way I responded to your points but I still responded so I'd appreciate a response to this:

I've dealt with these before. Sam, I'm not going to go around with circles. I've explained why I believe in Christianity, and why it is more convincing for me than anything else. I'm also starting to notice that this is more a monologue of you asking the questions, and thinking that you are calling the shots in the discussion. We've been through a lot, and I would like to deal with the concerns of other posters if you don't mind.

I've dealt with these before. Sam, I'm not going to go around with circles. I've explained why I believe in Christianity, and why it is more convincing for me than anything else. I'm also starting to notice that this is more a monologue of you asking the questions, and thinking that you are calling the shots in the discussion. We've been through a lot, and I would like to deal with the concerns of other posters if you don't mind.

No I remember what you said. You said that all religions have some truth in them but you believe that Christianity has the absolute truth. You didn't give any reason why, you just stated it. So you have yet to answer this question.

You say it's a monologue with me asking quesitons and yet I had to fight for several pages to get you to do anything but ignore what I was saying and post your own beliefs. Pot, kettle? It's only a monologure because you refuse to answer my questions because you just want to preach about your beliefs

And you can't possibly claim that you weighed up the available evidence for each religion and decided that Christianity had the most, it doesn't work like that. All I'm seeing here is you yet again dodging questions you can't answer so you can post the same faulty arguments

Have you read what I posted on this thread about it? Go back a few pages.

Have you read what I posted on this thread about it? Go back a few pages.

Link?

This would be true and a very good argument if it wasn't based on such a major logical fallacy. You are saying one proposition can be proven by another proposition, both of which are based on no empirical evidence and both of which are hugely suspect in terms of both reliability and accuracy.

You are basing your belief that Christ fulfilled those prophecies on the word of his believers. These are not credible witnesses. Even the educated Romans made some massive logical leaps, so the testimony of a people seeking salvation from a "Messiah" and being offered one cannot be held as reliable. (A Roman observer sent to Ireland to inspect it said that no venomous creature could exist here as the air was so pure that they died immediately upon breathing it. No sane person would believe that now. This was a few hundred years before St. Patrick too)

I'm not saying that this necessarily has to be the Resurrection, but it certainly gives credence to it.

Christian history does not make sense. It was a cult of Judaism that just kept on growing almost exclusively thanks to it's use by certain opportunistic individuals within the Roman Empire who exploited it for their political aspirations.

As for "an event having happened which gives credence to the Resurrection" - no it does not. Those people you refer to were already devout followers. History is littered with cult leaders who have inspired their followers to all sorts of actions up to and including mass suicide, over-riding our most basic instinct to survive. The martyr phenomenon exists to this day in the sickening guise of suicide bombers. Do you suggest then that the willingness to blow oneself up gives credence to the existence of Allah? The disciples of Christ (as you refer to them), all 11 of them, are nothing unique in history. In fact they are not even particularly gruesome examples of the lengths people will go when they "believe".
    The probability of the world coming into existence through natural processes, according to Roger Penrose is in the millions of billions of zeroes. 10 to the power of 10 to the power of 123 is quite a huge number. This is commonly deemed by mathematicians and physicists to be mathematical impossibility. It would seem to me that the prudent thing to do would be to look to the possibility of a Creator or a means of causation to explain how the universe came into existence given the co-ordination of the planets in the right distance from the Sun to create life, and the forming of the earth with the correct chemical composition in the universe to sustain life.

I cannot really quote the science as I do not claim to be a scientist and there are others who are more qualified to do so. However, I have read in more than one place arguments which stand opposed to this. I am not saying life is not a miracle, I am just saying that my definition of the word miracle does not include a deity to accomplish it.

It's quite frankly ridiculous that those who believe that miracles are an impossibility can deem that the creation of the world by purely natural means is in anyway more probable. Miracles by their nature are hugely improbable by natural means if and of their own, however if there is a supernatural force behind said miracles by which the laws of physics, chemistry, and biology are known, then it is rather probable that indeed that miracles can take place, just as it is quite probable that the universe came into existence through a supernatural force. This gives credence to me that the earth is the creation of God.

Took me a while to decipher this. I do not wish to appear insulting but it is nonsense.

A miracle is an event which occurs in spite of a seemingly insurmountable statistical improbability. Also your first line which I have highlighted needs examination. You are saying that if I do not believe in a divine miracle that I cannot accept scientific explanations of creation as being anymore reasonable? Scientific explanations have empirical evidence, religious ones are simply faith based and are no more plausible or provable than the existence of the tooth fairy.
    The reasoning that William Lane Craig common proponent of the kalam cosmological argument, gives for believing in a God of miracles is as follows:
    a) God makes sense of the universes origins. WHY? HOW?
    b) God makes sense of the universes complexity.WHY? HOW?
    c) God makes sense of objective moral values.Even the most famous of religious writers on the nature of moral arguments do not require the existence of God to validate morality or ethics. Mostly I am referring to John Finnis' work.
    d) God makes sense of the resurrection.Of course he does. That's like saying Harry Potter makes sense of Lord Voldemort. One thing naturally follows the other. But since both things are simply untrue then first does not prove the second. Your syllogism is flawed. The propositions need to be provable for the conclusion to be valid. They cannot simply prove each other.
    e) God can be immediately experienced Not sure what you mean by this so, once more, how?
    I'll quote from him when dealing with spiritual experiences)

4) Spiritual experiences - These are the strongest witness and conviction of an individuals faith, and this is where the atheist is left to struggle in misunderstanding over these type of issues. William Lane Craig has commonly claimed that the Holy Spirit is the greatest witness to a Christian about the truth of Christianity. If I may give an example from Lee Strobel's Case for Faith, published by Zondervan, which is a book I'd recommend you all to read if you are genuinely curious. You have no excuse, there is a range of Christian apologetics that you can read if you want answers:

So, although secondary evidence is still useful. The only way that the mental barriers that people put up before God will be lifted will be through trust, and asking to God to open up your heart so that you may accept Jesus as Lord.

This essentially translates to: "If you do not believe, you cannot understand." Therefore only you are privy to the "truth" as a believer while those of us who seek proof are simply closed to the "truth"? In order to get the proof I need I must accept that you are right before I can receive the proof?

Writers such as Josephus, Tactius, Pliny the Younger, and so on reference the existence of Jesus of Nazareth and the early Christian community in their works. If you take a read of Josephus' - Jewish Antiquities in particular it has references to both Jesus of Nazareth and the Crucifixion, Christians, and James the Righteous and his stoning to death. There is also a broad historical consensus with slight disagreement that the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem was the site where Jesus was crucified. This gives credence to me that Jesus was indeed crucified. This in particular is a problem for Islam stating that Jesus was not crucified at all.

So? I never said he didn't exist. Some people do based on the lack of any record of his crucifixion in Roman records. They were pretty good with the old records to be fair although they very well may have been lost in the mists of time but regardless the existence of the man does not prove the existence of God.

Figures such as Xerxes (if you have seen 300 this is the same Xerxes), Nebuchadnezzar, Hezekiah, Sennachera, Balthasar, Darius, Cyrus, and so on have been substantiated in secular historical sources of the age. Likewise, the construction of the walls of Jerusalem, the construction of the 2nd Temple, the captivity of the Judeans and the Israelites, and so on are also backed up historically. Archaeological sites such as the Zedekiahs Cave underneath the city of Jerusalem, King David's Tower, and Biblical sites such as Herod's palace, Temple coins from Jerusalem, Pilates residence in Caesarea, the ruins of the city of Capernaum and so on have all been found, and there are many more promising archaeological projects in the future which may substantiate the Biblical record more over the first few years. I have also mentioned the likelihood of the occurrence of Sodom and Gomorrah, and it's citation by many geologists, if you take a look at Google Scholar or JSTOR you will find information on these.

It is not unreasonable to assume that many of the places mentioned in the Bible exist. The city of Troy was discovered too. Does that mean that Apollo existed and guided a poisoned arrow to the heel of an otherwise invincible warrior fighting for the Greeks before a large wooden horse became a viable tactic? Their existence proves nothing.
    7) Authenticity of the Bible - The New Testament is one of the most widely circulated pieces of work in the Greek world, and it has indeed circulated far further than works of Greek philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle. Indeed, if we are to reject the New Testament as a reliable and authoriative historical witness to the life of Christ, we would also have to reject works which aren't anywhere near as widely accounted for as the New Testament accounts themselves. The Bible as a whole compiled in two periods, the Tanakh compiled by the Jewish leaders in 450BC, and the Bible including the New Testament was compiled in 360AD at the council of Nicea. However we have evidence through the church fathers that these books were widely used in the first century:
    A good youtube video might help on this:

There was perfect reason for the selection of these books over other texts that were released at much later dates.

I totally agree with the highlighted section. Though I imagine you and I would disagree on the reason. Constantine and Licinius were faced with a divisive split in their Empire due to the "Arian heresy". They convened the Council of Nicea to reject the Arian heresy (only 2 of the roughly 300 bishops voted for the Arian interpretation) and stabilise the new state religion. The reason those books were chosen was to reinforce the interpretation of Christianity which the state had decided would be the official interpretation as per the Nicean Creed.

This would be true and a very good argument if it wasn't based on such a major logical fallacy. You are saying one proposition can be proven by another proposition, both of which are based on no empirical evidence and both of which are hugely suspect in terms of both reliability and accuracy.

Well, considering that the Messiah was a Jewish figure that was prophesied to come in the Jewish Tanakh, and was defined by 300 checks and balances. It's very very unlikely that Jesus could have actually fulfilled these, yet He did. It's still a very pertinent question if we are to assess who Jesus was according to the New Testament writers.
    You are basing your belief that Christ fulfilled those prophecies on the word of his believers. These are not credible witnesses. Even the educated Romans made some massive logical leaps, so the testimony of a people seeking salvation from a "Messiah" and being offered one cannot be held as reliable. (A Roman observer sent to Ireland to inspect it said that no venomous creature could exist here as the air was so pure that they died immediately upon breathing it. No sane person would believe that now. This was a few hundred years before St. Patrick too)

This is the problem though, this is a question of authenticity, and given the dating and the frankness of the New Testament writers concerning the women at the tomb amongst other incidents that could have been considered shameful before the Jewish authorities being present in the text. There is quite a strong reason to consider that the New Testament itself is valid. I think the issue with your assessment of my argument is rather that you are taking one point if and of itself when in reality they are all dependant on eachother.

However given this though. Why do we accept Plato, Socrates and Aristotles work as truth when there is actually far less manuscripts and historical reason to accept them as such? Yet they are in philosophy.
    Christian history does not make sense. It was a cult of Judaism that just kept on growing almost exclusively thanks to it's use by certain opportunistic individuals within the Roman Empire who exploited it for their political aspirations.

This isn't good enough though. You have lengthened the timespan of consideration to include 300 more years of assessment, when infact I was discussing the first century of it's own merit. If you are going to argue that Christianity is a myth you will need to explain how the disciples could have done what they have done. There are two options.

1) They were lying, which is grossly improbable due to the amount of people, and the amount of consciences to be assessed, and to have the drive to go as far as they did in the light of persecution.

or 2) The disciples genuinely believed that they had seen Jesus rise from the dead after knowing him for 3 years but were sorely mistaken. Given how much the disciples actually knew this man this is also grossly improbable.

You are in a dilemma now, you can't explain this using either 1 or 2.
    As for "an event having happened which gives credence to the Resurrection" - no it does not. Those people you refer to were already devout followers. History is littered with cult leaders who have inspired their followers to all sorts of actions up to and including mass suicide, over-riding our most basic instinct to survive. The martyr phenomenon exists to this day in the sickening guise of suicide bombers. Do you suggest then that the willingness to blow oneself up gives credence to the existence of Allah? The disciples of Christ (as you refer to them), all 11 of them, are nothing unique in history. In fact they are not even particularly gruesome examples of the lengths people will go when they "believe".

BTW, Allah is the Arabic word for God. I don't consider it to be a separate God. Just that Islamic understanding of it has deviated from that of Christianity.

They are gruesome examples, if you don't know what happened to them you should really research it. It's quite horrific, and not only them, but the average believers in the Roman world.

If this doesn't give credence to the Resurrection or at least an extraordinary event, you will have to make an attempt to explain this, otherwise the Christianity as a myth option has completely failed.
    I cannot really quote the science as I do not claim to be a scientist and there are others who are more qualified to do so. However, I have read in more than one place arguments which stand opposed to this. I am not saying life is not a miracle, I am just saying that my definition of the word miracle does not include a deity to accomplish it.

There is nothing opposed to the existence of God and creation, and God and miracles in modern day science. If people claim that there is they are obviously trying to deceive for their own benefit.
    Took me a while to decipher this. I do not wish to appear insulting but it is nonsense.

A miracle is an event which occurs in spite of a seemingly insurmountable statistical improbability. Also your first line which I have highlighted needs examination. You are saying that if I do not believe in a divine miracle that I cannot accept scientific explanations of creation as being anymore reasonable? Scientific explanations have empirical evidence, religious ones are simply faith based and are no more plausible or provable than the existence of the tooth fairy.

My word, you've just defined the creation!

"an event which occurs in spite of a seemingly insurmountable statistical improbability".

10 to the power of 10 to the power of 123 is considered a statistical improbability. Yet it happened.

Natural = frequently observable.

If this isn't frequently observable it can be described as supernatural. The same is the case for miracles.

BTW, you go on to quote what headings I quoted from William Lane Craig in The Case for Faith. That isn't a syllogism, they are just different points of argument he uses. I don't want to have to quote huge chunks from the book, if you are patient I might find some of the noteworthy pieces from it if I have time. Or if you are really really curious about what arguments there are to objections to Christianity you could purchase the book yourself.
    This essentially translates to: "If you do not believe, you cannot understand." Therefore only you are privy to the "truth" as a believer while those of us who seek proof are simply closed to the "truth"? In order to get the proof I need I must accept that you are right before I can receive the proof?

Proof and evidence are different things. Evidence indicates that something is the case. Proof shows without a doubt that it is the case. I don't say that anyt of this is without a doubt, rather that it is extremely likely that there is a God.

Ultimately God can be found by those who are actually open to finding Him and for those who look to find answers in the Bible. That's why Jesus said "Knock and the door shall be opened unto you, seek and ye shall find". Or why the author of Proverbs writes:
    If you indeed cry out for insight and raise your voice for understanding; if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures - then you will understand the fear of the LORD

You have to actively seek to find. Once one recognises that God is very much a likely option, that is the starting point for faith in my opinion. If you are just going to pull over the shutters you won't find anything because you've closed yourself in. Also, you will never understand how spirituality works for Christians.
    So? I never said he didn't exist. Some people do based on the lack of any record of his crucifixion in Roman records. They were pretty good with the old records to be fair although they very well may have been lost in the mists of time but regardless the existence of the man does not prove the existence of God.

You mightn't but other people do, remember this argument isn't posed to you personally, but rather to all skeptics.
    It is not unreasonable to assume that many of the places mentioned in the Bible exist. The city of Troy was discovered too. Does that mean that Apollo existed and guided a poisoned arrow to the heel of an otherwise invincible warrior fighting for the Greeks before a large wooden horse became a viable tactic? Their existence proves nothing.

And that there are sites to prove that Biblical events actually happened?
    I totally agree with the highlighted section. Though I imagine you and I would disagree on the reason. Constantine and Licinius were faced with a divisive split in their Empire due to the "Arian heresy". They convened the Council of Nicea to reject the Arian heresy (only 2 of the roughly 300 bishops voted for the Arian interpretation) and stabilise the new state religion. The reason those books were chosen was to reinforce the interpretation of Christianity which the state had decided would be the official interpretation as per the Nicean Creed.

Watch the video, and you'll see that there is a theological reason also.

• Advertisement

Well, considering that the Messiah was a Jewish figure that was prophesied to come in the Jewish Tanakh, and was defined by 300 checks and balances. It's very very unlikely that Jesus could have actually fulfilled these, yet He did. It's still a very pertinent question if we are to assess who Jesus was according to the New Testament writers.

If he fulfilled them all then why do jews still exist? Why are they still waiting for their messiah if Jesus met all the criteria for their messiah?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement