Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Seomra Dorcha

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

cad a cuireann tu an fada ar na focailacha?

1. Conas, not cad.
    2. Litreacha, not fochlacha.

;)

Brúigh ar Alt Gr agus an ghuta!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

obl wrote: »
    1. Conas, not cad.
    2. Litreacha, not fochlacha.

;)

Brúigh ar Alt Gr agus an ghuta!

see i speak it and only my mates understand because im that crap and im getting b's in honors ahahahahaha.

irish is screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Guys, i am so jealous! I wish i could speak and write :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Guys, i am so jealous! I wish i could speak and write :(

Ciúnas bóthar cailín bainne :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It was only a matter of time..............

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Fad wrote: »
    It was only a matter of time..............

Bhuel, do dhein sé quote ar an gcuid eile den ad sin níos luath sa thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I was going to do that but I didn't have the guts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

lastmi wrote: »
    we are forced to learn Irish for so long that i for one hate it!!!!
    i can understand one word

Is í sin an fhírinne. Chaitheadar 80 bliain ag brónnadh cúraim na Gaeilge ar na páistí, faoi bhrú agus éigeantacht, gan suim dá laghad acu féin (daoine fásta, an Stáit) ina labhairt ar chor ar bith ach cupla focal chun tírghrá a thaispeáint, mar dhea.

Is cleas cruachroích a dhein siad ar aos óg na hÉireann agus níl tortha ar bith bainte acu ach fuath agus eagla roimh na Gaeilge... Measaim féin gur cheart dóibh saoirse a thabhairt don aos óg a rogha féin a dheanamh, foghlaim nó gan fhoghlaim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

What does that mean :S

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Quiet Road Girl Milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I was going to do that but I didn't have the guts :D
    Hehe :D

I just robbed it from the famous carlsberg ad..

:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Taispeáineann an ad sin gur féidir linn go léir spraoi a bhaint as usáid an nGaeilge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

haha, táim i mo chonaí i nua shéalann, agus táim ag múnú gaeilge do mo leannán. bíonn sé an-ghreannmhar.

go raibh maith agat - gurby maggut.

at this stage, he's learnt that he's more likely to get his cuppa tea if he demands "cupán tae, siúcra, bainne" (well, he can't quite pronounce báinne).. .

little things like that. it's fun, and quite cute, and when im stressed, and can't talk about it, i do love that i can tlak about it as gaeilge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

D'fhreastal mé ar scoil lán Ghaelach.

Níl taithí agam, mar sin, ar caighdeán múineadh i scoileanna eile, ach cloisim scéalta uafásacha faoi easpa béim ar an teanga labharta. Ní thuigim sin. Munar féidir leat an teanga a labhairt, conas ar féidir leat aistí a scríobh faoi litríocht?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

well this will have more impact trí mBearla
    why do people hate irish so much?
    personally i suck not because of the language or my teacher (fionscéal) but because i just suck at languages (23% in french FTW)and I'm damn near failing honour (never got more than a c2 EVER)but why not speak it as is an sig here somewhere(Is fearr gaeilge bhriste nó bearla clist)roughly:bad irish is better than good english

oh , and how is irish different than english course-wise?I mean it's all Cac mBó(bull***t) about poets and drama and such crap it's exactly the same but we're asked to basically talk like a three year old for 10 minutes and we bitch about it.....

oh and I'm awful surprised at how this thread took off in 24 hours.....
    But if your in MY thread to Gaeilge-bash the GTFO or dul sall agus chuir do cheann í do thóin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I don't hate Irish at all, I'd love to be fluent, but I have a few problems with the way it's presented within the society. Firstly, and most importantly, the way it's taught is atrocious. It's a language which works much better spoken than written, but all the emphaisis is on the written element. Irish should be spoken throughout the Irish class (in fairness, the way languages in general are taught in this country is awful), with more of a focus on conversation and craic rather than on poets and writers who are (I'm sorry) absolutely woefully uninteresting for the most part.

Secondly, and I'm not trying to be annoying, Gaelgóirs don't help their own cause. There's a bit of an elitist "oh my goodness why can't you speak Irish, why aren't you learning it right now, why wouldn't you want to speak it?" kind of a vibe, and two fluent Irish speakers in a room of non-Irish speakers will, for some reason start talking to each other in Irish once they discover they both can, even if it's not their first language, which is very show-offy.

Thirdly, the language and its image needs to be modernised. It is, in many people's minds, linked with the Gaeltachts, which, beautiful though they are, are generally in the middle of no-where with few facilities and an older population. It's also, inevitably, tied in with nationalism, and given the national lack of self confidence (the image of ourselves which we most frequently project abroad is "Yes, we may be ugly but at least we're drunk!", or we only identify ourselves within the context of the conflict with Britain-watch any Irish comedian,they'll go on about one or both of those things), I'd say a lot of people are uncomfortable with that. The trendy-uncle efforts of the government (i.e seachtain na gaeilge) to try and do this are chronically out of touch wit da kidz.

That's all I got for the moment :p like I said though, I genuinely wish I was fluent in the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

An File wrote: »
    Tá díomá an domhain orm faoin gcaighdeán teanga sa thread seo...
    An File wrote: »
    This is the kind of attitude that has left most people in this country with little or no grasp of the Irish language.

This attitude doesn't help either. Someone starts a thread because he wants to practice the cupla focal and some upstart complains about the standard of Irish on the thread.
    You can't win.

I'd love to be able to speak Irish fluently like native Irish speakers, not the bastard1sed 'english-translated-directly-into-irish' version made prevalent by gaelscoileanna.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

jaysus waaaayyy too political

chuirim í Gaeilge simplí "Is An thread seo faoi na gnath-rud trí gaeilge"

I'll put this in simple irish "this thread is about ordinary thing through irish"

so as I said it's better to just take a stab at it put what you mean in brackets if your not sure about what you wrote

@an file :remember flames in irish are still trolls/flame/cyber-bullying agus an bhfuil gach rud a deir tú i mBearla faoi gramadach foirfe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

But if your in MY thread to Gaeilge-bash the GTFO or dul sall agus chuir do cheann í do thóin

You're asking people what their opinion is of the Irish language. You must be mad if you thought everyone was going to be positive towards the language.

• Advertisement

Svalbard wrote: »
    This attitude doesn't help either. Someone starts a thread because he wants to practice the cupla focal and some upstart complains about the standard of Irish on the thread.
    You can't win.

Tá brón orm, táim cineáil depressed um nóiméid, tá sé níos éasca dom rudaí éigin maslacha a rá go tapaigh ná am a chaitheamh ag smaoineamh faoi slí níos deise chun mo ráitisí a dhéanaimh.

@an file :remember flames in irish are still trolls/flame/cyber-bullying agus an bhfuil gach rud a deir tú i mBearla faoi gramadach foirfe?

Cad-ever ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

creggy wrote: »
    No, I'm saying lock it because this topic comes up all the time, particularly in the LC forum.

I assume the future of the thread will be consisting two sides. One group whining over learning Irish for 14 years blah blah blah and other group, the fluent folk defending it. It's more common that muff diving site appearing in AH...

That's all.

Well isn't it lucky for this thread that one of the mods is a Gaelgóir (ok went to an Irish school, practically a Gaelgóir) and another is a wannabe Gaelgóir. Haven't a clue about Squigloo though!

Is aoibhinn liom an Ghaeilge agus b'aoibhinn liom bheith i mo ghaelgóir. Is mór an trua nar d'fhreastail mé ar gaelscoil- bunscoil nó meánscoil. Sa thodhchaí ba mhaith liom mo pháistí a thógáil as Gaeilge, cé nach bhfuil Gaeilge líofa nó Gaeilge foirfe agamsa.

Ba maith liom Gaeilge a úsáid i mo shaol gach lá ach dáiríously, ní bhíonn an seans agam.

It's a pity that now during Seachtain na Gaeilge people are treating it more like Seachain An Ghaeilge (amirite?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sofa kingcool

Tá sé an leadránach, gan mhaith AGUS marbh.

Piste wrote: »
    Well isn't it lucky for this thread that one of the mods is a Gaelgóir
    Yup.

Grammatical error = infraction tbh.

Tá sé an leadránach,

Bréagach
    gan mhaith

Bréagach
    AGUS marbh.

Agus bréagach.

:rolleyes:
    An chéad duine eile?

an leadránach, gan mhaith AGUS marbh.

Ná labhair faoi chailín deas mar sin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

If people want to learn and speak Irish well and good. It's a cultural thing and that's probably the most it will ever be in Ireland probably. I'm not really as attached to Irish, I was for a while, but in terms of practicalities Irish will never really be the defacto language of the country ever, and I personally consider English my language and the primary national tongue of Ireland, just like Austrias national tongue is German (just because countries share a national language doesn't mean it takes a huge hit in terms of identity).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I love Irish! (but grammar and spelling is now woeful since leaving school so I'm not even going to try...)

I didn't like Irish until I went to the gaeltacht where I fell in love with it! Only went for 2 years as a dalta and one year as a cinnire but they were all amazing. I didn't learn any Irish at all in school. Any grammar I had was taught to me in the gaeltacht.

Personally, I think the fact that you only need a C3 in Irish to become a primary school teacher is just silly. I'm sure it's much easier to continue learning Irish in secondary school if you have a firm basis in it from your primary years.

My own sister wants to be a primary teacher but she hasn't a word of Irish. I know I wouldn't want her teaching irish to anyone, she's worse than useless. She's a great teacher other than that, but Irish is a really important part of school!

One thing though, I don't think TG4 is any good for the regular joe soap. I know that I can't understand a single word they say on the news or Ros na Rún or anything. I just can't understand that thick Connemara accent. And I'm generally really really good at understanding it. Makes me sad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Jakkass wrote: »
    If people want to learn and speak Irish well and good. It's a cultural thing and that's probably the most it will ever be in Ireland probably. I'm not really as attached to Irish, I was for a while, but in terms of practicalities Irish will never really be the defacto language of the country ever, and I personally consider English my language and the primary national tongue of Ireland, just like Austrias national tongue is German (just because countries share a national language doesn't mean it takes a huge hit in terms of identity).

Austria's a relatively recent invention that never really had it's own tongue beforehand. Up till 200 years ago, very few Irish people spoke anything but, so you can't say it was nvere the defacto language.

Advertisement