Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Seomra Dorcha

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hey I'm just wondering if anybody could tell me the Irish for "I am the master of my own destiny" I've been looking online but can't find it myself!! I want to get a tattoo of this in Irish sometime in the next few months, I want it in Irish because it's our native language and the reason I can't speak fluently in it is because of the way education in Ireland is so backwards. There's absolutely no emphasis on Irish Oral work - practicing the very nature of the language - speaking it!! Anyway Any help would be appreciated greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

obl wrote: »
    Austria's a relatively recent invention that never really had it's own tongue beforehand. Up till 200 years ago, very few Irish people spoke anything but, so you can't say it was nvere the defacto language.

I said never will be the defacto language rather than never was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Bleagh. I hate hate hate corrections of Irish. And they're rude. Nasty. Priggish. Show-offy. Superior. Designed to *stop* people talking Irish.
    obl wrote: »
    1. Conas, not cad.
    2. Litreacha, not fochlacha.

;)

Brúigh ar Alt Gr agus an ghuta!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

luckat wrote: »
    Bleagh. I hate hate hate corrections of Irish. And they're rude. Nasty. Priggish. Show-offy. Superior. Designed to *stop* people talking Irish.

Just be thankful that nobody has taken upon themselves to correct your use of English. You might have had to stop using that too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I don't really dislike Irish as a language as such jus how it's taught in school (course content is what I mean,not moaning about teachers).I find it pretty pointless tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Does anybody else thnk that some fluent Irish speakers can be very smug about it? They'll never miss an opportunity to spout some, just so everyone knows they can. If you've ever seen that blathnaid one on the afternoon show you'll know what i'm talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Does anybody else thnk that some fluent Irish speakers can be very smug about it? They'll never miss an opportunity to spout some, just so everyone knows they can. If you've ever seen that blathnaid one on the afternoon show you'll know what i'm talking about...

I can speak it pretty well (Gold coloured plastic ring to prove it..........) but I somehow resist the temptation to start spouting anything (Partly because there's 18 people in my year doing HL:().

I love Irish for a variety of reasons, but I think if people spent less time bítching about the syllabus, and just got on with it, learn what they have to learn, they would have such a problem. There's a new syllabus coming in, so there's absolutely nothing you can do for yourselves now (ie-stop wasting your time).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

luckat wrote: »

You don't quite grasp the concept of smileys, do you?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

And those goddamn French people speaking French... Grrr...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Fad wrote: »
    I can speak it pretty well (Gold coloured plastic ring to prove it..........) but I somehow resist the temptation to start spouting anything (Partly because there's 18 people in my year doing HL:().

I love Irish for a variety of reasons, but I think if people spent less time bítching about the syllabus, and just got on with it, learn what they have to learn, they would have such a problem. There's a new syllabus coming in, so there's absolutely nothing you can do for yourselves now (ie-stop wasting your time).

In fairness, the question was asked "What is your problem with Irish?" people were responding to a direct enquiry rather than really bitching. Everyone seems to be dealing with the syllabus in that nobody's mentioned failing Irish, but that's the problem, it's a syllabus designed to pass the Leaving rather than promote fluency :P

• Advertisement

In fairness, the question was asked "What is your problem with Irish?" people were responding to a direct enquiry rather than really bitching. Everyone seems to be dealing with the syllabus in that nobody's mentioned failing Irish, but that's the problem, it's a syllabus designed to pass the Leaving rather than promote fluency :P

I was more talking in general, most threads about it turn into a bitchfest.

Why do the NUIs still want it as a minimum requirement? (Out of curiosity)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ah i just found my fainne...forgot i had that thing

got a bit em merry last night and spent a good 3 hours waffling on in irish to my equally inehbriated mate...god only knows what we were on about.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Why do the NUIs still want it as a minimum requirement? (Out of curiosity)

I'd imagine it's something to do with their state funding and the state policy of promoting Irish as a vibrant language (i.e trying to keep it from dying out), can't see a real reason for needing to have passed Irish to study Commerce and French or Interior Architecture or whatever!
    ah i just found my fainne...forgot i had that thing

Hnah

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Aw, I miss my fainne :( I used to keep it in my wallet when I wasn't wearing it (next to my little bronze Gaisce pin :P ) but I've had 2 new wallets since the one they were housed in.

I get to use Irish nearly every day (one of the many side-effects of studying in a teacher-training college) and it's always fun to be able to switch between languages in conversation. I had problems with the LC curriculum back when I was in school, but there are ways of maximising your points in any subject, even if you don't like that subject. You just have to be clever when it comes to answering the questions.

That said, too many people see Irish as just another exam subject and not as a living, exciting language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    a show of hands here =p who knew that there was male and female nouns in irish ?!

*raises hand*

An raibh a fhios agat go bhfuil ainmfhocail neodracha sa Ghaeilge? =P

was lucky there wasn't any fadas in that sentence, silly incorrectly configured keyboard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Piste wrote: »
    Well isn't it lucky for this thread that one of the mods is a Gaelgóir (ok went to an Irish school, practically a Gaelgóir) and another is a wannabe Gaelgóir. Haven't a clue about Squigloo though!

Bhuel, fuair mé A1 i mo scrúdú Gaeilge (Ardleibhéal) ach, faraor, níl mo chaighdeàn Gaeilge an-mhaith ar chor ar bith.
    (I dread to think how many basic mistakes I made there.)

The way Irish is taught really is desparate. I got my A1 because I was able to learn loads of essays and notes on prose/drama/poetry off by heart (ah Uirchíll an Chreagáin, so many not-in-the-least-bit-fond memories you've left me with). I'll be the first to admit that it has absolutely no reflection on my Irish speaking abilities (which are rather poor). Basically, once you've survived the Oral, LC Irish is nothing but a glorified memory test.

Being able to speak Irish fluently would be nice, as it is our language and something that is unique to us as a country. But being perfectly honest, I'm not a big fan of the language - the way it sounds, the way it's spoken etc. doesn't really appeal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I read Uirchill an Creagáin for the first time the night before paper 2, and answered on it :)

I had previously avoided it because it looked hard, but was learning Stair na Gaeilge at the same time and decided to have a look at it.

Since then I've wondered if all the essays I did and notes I made on other Poems for two years were futile....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

An File wrote: »
    Aw, I miss my fainne :( I used to keep it in my wallet when I wasn't wearing it (next to my little bronze Gaisce pin :P ) but I've had 2 new wallets since the one they were housed in.

I get to use Irish nearly every day (one of the many side-effects of studying in a teacher-training college) and it's always fun to be able to switch between languages in conversation. I had problems with the LC curriculum back when I was in school, but there are ways of maximising your points in any subject, even if you don't like that subject. You just have to be clever when it comes to answering the questions.

That said, too many people see Irish as just another exam subject and not as a living, exciting language.

Exactly and thats why the course should be changed...The problem is we all know what's wrong with the course but we don't really know how to change it to make it more appealing but something has to be done. I like learning languages (well french) but I hate irish, really boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I absolutely LOVE IRISH! If it was possible I'd speak it all day,everyday (unfortunately not an option when no one around you would understand)but I agree that the way the language is taught in schools does it absolutely no favours, I'm in 5th year atm and just sick of all the crappy Pros and Stair that you have to learn...IMO not nearly enough marks going for the oral!

Lola92 wrote: »
    IMO not nearly enough marks going for the oral!

Not enough marks going for Stair An Gaeilge tbh.

• Advertisement

Not enough marks going for Stair An Gaeilge tbh.

Well I'm not a fan of the whole learning off essay's on bealoidis and ruraiocht and such but I see where you're coming from if that's what works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Well I'm not a fan of the whole learning off essay's on bealoidis and ruraiocht and such but I see where you're coming from if that's what works for you!

I think the point he's making that the marks given for stair na gaeilge are not in any way proportional to the amount of work involved.

Its not what I'm into, but you have a fair bit to learn, kinda like poetry in English, there's just not enough marks going considering how much you need to do.

Hardly essays, I've been told bullet points will do (If that not true, frankly I don't care :))

cocoa wrote: »
    I think the point he's making that the marks given for stair na gaeilge are not in any way proportional to the amount of work involved.

+1 that's partially why I hate it so much!
    Its not what I'm into, but you have a fair bit to learn, kinda like poetry in English, there's just not enough marks going considering how much you need to do.

Hardly essays, I've been told bullet points will do (If that not true, frankly I don't care :))

So I thought aswel but had a test on it there last week, content all pretty much bang on but I got a B- because it should have been *QUOTE* "expanded to about two pages long":mad:.....whats other ppl thinking?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Does anybody else thnk that some fluent Irish speakers can be very smug about it? .
    I suppose that's true but for years Irish was stigmatised and seen as a backwards language it's only now that it's "cool".

So I thought aswel but had a test on it there last week, content all pretty much bang on but I got a B- because it should have been *QUOTE* "expanded to about two pages long":mad:.....whats other ppl thinking?!:confused:

Mark per line, 15 lines for each Q

Mark per line, 15 lines for each Q

Ok so! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I read Uirchill an Creagáin for the first time the night before paper 2, and answered on it :)

I had previously avoided it because it looked hard, but was learning Stair na Gaeilge at the same time and decided to have a look at it.

Since then I've wondered if all the essays I did and notes I made on other Poems for two years were futile....

WORST POEM ON THE PAPER!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

if only an t-oilean was predicted to be coming up this year.its such a piece of filth that i remember it really well:p

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Ba chuma liom faoin nGaeilge anuraidh. Chuir an tuiseal ginideach, rialacha na séimhiú agus na hurú, focail firinsineach agus baininsineach agus neart rudaí eile éadóchais orm gach uair a bhain mé úsáid astu.

Ansin thug mé i bhfad níos lú aird futhú (seachas i m'obair bhaile, go minic), agus mhúscladh spéis sa teanga ionam beagnach ar luas lasrach. Anois táim ag déanamh iarracht a bheith i mo ghaeilgeoir. Nílim ann fós ach táim ag dul sa treo ceart, dar liom.

Is é an locht is mó a bhaineann leis an gcuraclaim ná nach bhfuil am ag na múinteoirí an bhéim ceart a chur ar an teanga labhartha. Dúirt mo mhúinteoir dúinn anuraidh go mbeadh sé in ann conas torthaí maithe a bhaint san Airdteist a mhúineadh dúinn nó suim sa teanga a spreagadh ionainn(?).

Thosaíomar ag caint as Ghaeilge timpeall dhá mhí ó shin, ag ullmhú don mBéaltriail. Rinne sé an rang trí mhéan an Béarla an t-am ar fad roimh an bpointe sin (ó bhliain a haon).

Ceapaim go bhfuil an athbheochan ag dul ó neart go neart, ach go mall mall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Check this out, song about a guy who met a girl but had to leave her because she kept getting her Tuisil Ginideach wrong...

Mura bhfuil an tuiseal ginideach agat
    Agus smacht ar do chuid "h"annaí
    Níl suim dá laghad agam ionat
    Mar is cinnte go mbrisfidh tú mo chroí
    Ach más Gaeilgeoir snasta blasta thú
    Is má thuigeann tú cúrsaí gramadaí
    Tar trasna na páirce móire chugam
    Táim anseo i dtóin an tí.

If you don't have a good grasp of the genitive case
    And your "h"s aren't in good shape
    I have no interst in you
    Because you're sure to break my heart
    But if you're a polished, skilled Irish speaker,
    And if you're well across the grammar
    Come across the big field to me,
    I'm here in back of the house

Táim ag siúl an bhóthair uaignigh seo
    Le fada, fada an lá
    Ag cuartú na mná gaelaí i ngach áit
    Ach faraor, níl sí le fáil
    Bean atá tugtha don tuiseal tabharthach
    Bean a thuigeann na díochlaontaí
    Bean a rachfadh chun na leapan liom
    Le Graiméar na mBráithre Críostaí.

I've been walking this lonely road,
    For many's the long, long day.
    Looking for the Gaelic woman everywhere,
    But sadly, she just isn't out there.
    A woman who understands the accusative case
    A woman who understands the declensions.
    A woman who'd go to bed with me
    And the Christian Brothers' Grammar.

Also, anyone know WTF these guys are saying?

Advertisement