Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H sex discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Don't think that matters a damn tbh. You'd have to be incredibly stupid to just read the natural section and discredit the others because the natural one happens to come first.

I'd imagine they're ordered that way due to the availability/convenience of them. Natural you can do at home, whereas barrier and hormonal will require a trip to the shop, chemist or possibly a doctor. But any sensible teenagers will read all the descritions and realise themselves that barrier and hormonal are much more effective than natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Don't think that matters a damn tbh. You'd have to be incredibly stupid to just read the natural section and discredit the others because the natural one happens to come first.

I'd imagine they're ordered that way due to the availability/convenience of them. Natural you can do at home, whereas barrier and hormonal will require a trip to the shop, chemist or possibly a doctor. But any sensible teenagers will read all the descritions and realise themselves that barrier and hormonal are much more effective than natural.

You see you're talking from you, a sensible persons perspective, remember alot of teens are asshats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Fad wrote: »
    You see you're talking from you, a sensible persons perspective, remember alot of teens are asshats!
    WTF is an asshat??:confused:

WTF is an asshat??:confused:

Properly used it means someone who has their head so stuck up their own backside it may as well be a hat.

I rather happily use it slightly out of this context and substitute something like "tool" or something with ass hat.....

Fad wrote: »
    Properly used it means someone who has their head so stuck up their own backside it may as well be a hat.

I rather happily use it slightly out of this context and substitute something like "tool" or something with ass hat.....
    Ohhhh i thought you made it up on the spot!!:rolleyes:Its a good word actually now you explain it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Personally, I think it should be stressed to young people just how damn stupid and dangerous relying on natural methods would be. The site is surely aimed at the average, naive teenager, who's not going to necessarily realise this. The site claims that natural methods are "safe, work well, and are very inexpensive". Now personally, I would extremely discourage the use of natural methods on any site aimed at teenagers.

Ohhhh i thought you made it up on the spot!!:rolleyes:Its a good word actually now you explain it!

Sadly I cannot claim credit for its brilliance, but it is up there with Cúnt in my favourite expletives.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

'Asshat' is probably one of my favourite words, along with 'mupptard'. I even have my mother using the latter! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

An File wrote: »
    I find it strange that the guy you love only revealed his virginity to you several months after the big event.

It just never came up in conversation. And our first time was a kind of spur of the moment thing...so didn't really have time to talk of it. And as Piste said, I also think it's better when things progress naturally. Maybe i'm silly to give out so much trust in some peoples opinions, but I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    The site claims that natural methods are "safe, work well, and are very inexpensive".

Now c'mon... How is abstinence not each of those?! ;P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

obl wrote: »
    Now c'mon... How is abstinence not each of those?! ;P

I suggested that my girlfriend and I should take up celibacy for Lent.
    We both cracked up laughing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

^^^

tell that woman who had eight kids

BUT natural does work in i think around 80% of cases as if there's no egg there's no danger c'mon piste you do biology back me up

^^^

BUT natural does work in i think around 80% of cases as if there's no egg there's no danger c'mon piste you do biology back me up

I think the actual amount of work you need to put in to figure out if your fertile or not is alot more than you'd imagine.

It has 80% success if done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think it's only fair that all contraception options are covered on that site.

^^^

*puts on doctor hat**

*ahem* A women's egg can only survive for 48 hours, this means that realistically there is only a 48 hour window in which a woman can get pregnant. Unfortunately, sperm can survive for up to 6 days inside a woman's body which means a woman can get pregnant if she has sex 6 days before ovulation or two days after it.

Calculating this danger period involves meticulous attention to detail: measuring body temperature each day at the same time, keeping track of the menstrual cycle and analysing cervical mucous (if it's long and stretchy then it's around the time you'll get pregnant- we were shown a video all about this last year >.<)

The length and nature of a cycle can be determined using the above methods, really this is a better method to use if you are trying to conceive (if you are we have a forum all about that too!) as it tells you when you are most likely to get pregnant. It's unwise to use this method if babies simply aren't an option as a number of factors can throw a cycle out of kilter. Stress and sudden hormonal changes can alter a woman's cycle.

So basically the natural (or "rhythm") method is effective (I don't know how effective, I have no stats but I remember in the video we were shown it had some statistic and it was surprisingly high) but not nearly as much as the pill or condoms and should not be used by anyone for whom having babies isn't an option. (or anyone under 17 cos y'know that's illegal)

*NOTE: I am not nor have I ever been a doctor, the above advice is AS FAR AS I KNOW. I do not recommend the aboce method of contraception for anyone who aboslutely does not want to have children. The above method of contraception does not protect against STDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Piste wrote: »
    *puts on doctor hat**

*ahem* A women's egg can only survive for 48 hours, this means that realistically there is only a 48 hour window in which a woman can get pregnant. Unfortunately, sperm can survive for up to 6 days inside a woman's body which means a woman can get pregnant if she has sex 6 days before ovulation or two days after it.

Calculating this danger period involves meticulous attention to detail: measuring body temperature each day at the same time, keeping track of the menstrual cycle and analysing cervical mucous (if it's long and stretchy then it's around the time you'll get pregnant- we were shown a video all about this last year >.<)

The length and nature of a cycle can be determined using the above methods, really this is a better method to use if you are trying to conceive (if you are we have a forum all about that too!) as it tells you when you are most likely to get pregnant. It's unwise to use this method if babies simply aren't an option as a number of factors can throw a cycle out of kilter. Stress and sudden hormonal changes can alter a woman's cycle.

So basically the natural (or "rhythm") method is effective (I don't know how effective, I have no stats but I remember in the video we were shown it had some statistic and it was surprisingly high) but not nearly as much as the pill or condoms and should not be used by anyone for whom having babies isn't an option. (or anyone under 17 cos y'know that's illegal)

*NOTE: I am not nor have I ever been a doctor, the above advice is AS FAR AS I KNOW. I do not recommend the aboce method of contraception for anyone who aboslutely does not want to have children. The above method of contraception does not protect against STDs.

Actually egg lives for just around 24 hours and sperm for just about 7 days =P

My biology book says 48 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Thou Shalt Not Question Biology Book.

cautioner wrote: »
    Thou Shalt Not Question Biology Book.

Or Stephen Fry, for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I get semi worried when I see condoms marked 'extra safe'.WTF?Shouldn't they be extra safe anyway??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I get semi worried when I see condoms marked 'extra safe'.WTF?Shouldn't they be extra safe anyway??:confused:
    Slightly thicker and extra lubricated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Slightly thicker and extra lubricated

why would extra lube make it safer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

why would extra lube make it safer?
    It prevents wears and tear of the condom , but you may need more lube (water based this is important and anything like oil will reduce the strength of the latex by around 95% in 15 mins ) if you suffer from vaginal dryness and it's usually encouraged. I'll try to find where I read it in a bit .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

It prevents wears and tear of the condom , but you may need more lube (water based this is important and anything like oil will reduce the strength of the latex by around 95% in 15 mins ) if you suffer from vaginal dryness and it's usually encouraged. I'll try to find where I read it in a bit .

yeah thats why vasaline is so avoided.

that and vaseline is pure petrol and so is carcinogenic i.e causes cancer so is not good in the nether regions EVER!!!!

also lube contains spermicides(well they should if they're worth anything) which basically is there to kill any sneaky lil stragglers

No most condoms are coated in non-spermicidal lube- check the packet next time you're buying some and it'll most likely say "non spermicidal".

I doubt vaseline is carcinogenic, if it were there's no way it'd be licenced for use as a lipbalm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Vaseline isn't carcinogenic, don't eat it though! It can damage some of the compounds in the rubber, that's all.

In fact you could possibly argue that if a guy is carrying the HP virus that his penis is carcinogenic! Hehehe.

Gah how terrifying. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "cancer stick" :p

• Advertisement

look at the label its 100% pure PETROLrum jelly any sort of oil based product is bad and can cause dermatitis in the short term (e.gdiesel,oils,burning of plastics = cancer thats why it's illegal)

Advertisement