Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Recommend Me Some Jazz Thread![merged]

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I disagree. If it's jazz you're after, then Bitches Brew may not be the one for you. The rhythms are more rock than jazz, but that's not to say it's a turkey. Of Miles's experimental stuff, it's not bad. In a Silent Way is my favourite of that period.

I've only heard a handful of Miles albums, but I can recommend the following:

Kind of Blue
    Milestones
    Miles Ahead
    Porgy & Bess
    Sketches of Spain
    In a Silent Way

Turkeys:
    Miles in the Sky
    On the Corner - this is one of the worst albums I've ever heard!

I wonder could anyone recommend some more Miles must-have albums? :confused:

Yes. "Bitches Brew" is an aquired taste...... but one worth aquiring IMO. ;)

I disagree about "Miles in the Sky" BTW.

"Must haves" are a very personal choice but my Miles must haves, apart from what has been listed already would be :

"Aura"
    "Relaxin'"
    E.S.P.
    Jack Johnson
    Live Evil ( a little like "Bitches..." )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Gotta get birth of the cool for starters.

Some of the stuff on the cookin, walkin, workin, relaxin sessions is great too.

Live in Berlin is also excellent. ESP, round about midnight and someday my prince will come are also very good.

Thats all i can think of before he goes electric. The jack johnson sessions and on the corner are a must have imo though from that period.

on the corner are a must have imo though from that period.

Yeah, alot of people dont like On the Corner. While it would not be a "must have" for me, I dont think it's as bad as some people say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I've only heard a handful of Miles albums, but I can recommend the following:

Kind of Blue
    Milestones
    Miles Ahead
    Porgy & Bess
    Sketches of Spain
    In a Silent Way

I wonder could anyone recommend some more Miles must-have albums? :confused:
    Filles de Kilimanjaro is a classic - it's a very unusual Miles record but funky as hell :cool: Think it was recorded just before In a Silent Way so if you like that album it would be worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Rigsby wrote: »
    Yeah, alot of people dont like On the Corner. While it would not be a "must have" for me, I dont think it's as bad as some people say.

"On the corner" is an awful record...a truly wretched offering. Besides, it's not jazz and jazz is what we are here to recommend.

I wonder if anyone could recommend a Charlie Parker album?

• Advertisement

"On the corner" is an awful record...a truly wretched offering. Besides, it's not jazz and jazz is what we are here to recommend.

I respect your opinion about "On the Corner", but disagree. Agreed, it's by no means a great album, I just don't think it's as bad as some do.

As for it not being jazz : that point could be argued 'till kingdom come. Jazz is just an "umbrella" name for a vast continuously evolving branch of music. When Louis Armstrong initially heard Charlie Parker and his music he (Armstrong) said it was not jazz, much to his eternal regret.

Go figure. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

it's all music, didn't Ellington say there were only two types of music, good music and the other kind? ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

New here! :)

Been meaning to check out more jazz now for a while but was kinda resisting because I knew that new floodgates would open that I can't really afford to open with my other musical addictions. Anyway, its happened and I just have to deal with it now. :pac: Having the same problem with classical actually also!

I am looking for more chilled jazz and definitely without vocals for now at least. I have bought a few by Miles Davis (Sketches, Kind of Blue & In A Silent Way) and love them. One that has really blown me away though which is more experimental is 'Power Spot' by Jon Hassell - a really excellent album and I need more like this - any suggestions?

http://www.discogs.com/Jon-Hassell-Power-Spot/release/104233

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Desmo wrote: »

Louis Stewart I wished on the moon. Bought in Tower in Wicklow St. This is one of his 2 guitar (plus bass and drums) records with Heiner Franz and is from late 90s. Impeccable playing of jazz standards; note perfect bebop.

Louis Stewart and Knut Michalsen Paradoxical Interventions. Bought in Paul Ryans shop in Eustace St. Guitar duets from a few years ago recorded in Norway (very nordic sound; you can feel the fjords;
    very accoustic; you can hear heavy breathing throughout, literally). Beautiful guitar playing of mainly standards.

Can Louis Stewart's albums be readily got? I remember having alot of trouble finding them. Ended up buying one called 'Overdrive', a live recording. Rather good! You'd expect middle-of-the-road pub rock judging by the title and cover photo, but it's a great performance. I'd like to get my hands on a LS album with a bigger band though; any suggestions?

Advertisement