Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Recommend Me Some Jazz Thread![merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

brosps wrote: »
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7sei-eEjy4g

this is good jazz, trust me i am profeser

It's good alright................. for MTV or "Top of the Pops". :D:p

BTW you dont need to be a "professor" to enjoy jazz. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Caught these guys on 'Later with Jools' a few months back, and they knocked me for six.

The Neil Cowley Trio. Neil describes the sound on his youtube page as 'Jazz, but the dog ate our homework'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Yes! I remember watching them!

Couldn't remember the name though! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Here's a link to the insanely and phenomenonally talented Hiromi Uehara from Japan. This girl can play some serious piano, you might be impressed with this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pgM-NVfWg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

brosps wrote: »
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7sei-eEjy4g

this is good jazz, trust me i am profeser
    Tbh that really belongs in the hip-hop forum.
    Read the thread title please.

Now that's a fine record. Listen to Ron Carter's bass line, very slick :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Zumpel

in my first post in was looking for
    "instrumental bands/anthologies that play a slow, laid back type of sound
    for which I don't really have the frame of reference to describe it properly.. "

Collected some under this tag, nice to kick back and relax to:
    http://www.last.fm/user/Zumpel/library/tags?tag=schweine+jazz

before anybody asks re the tag : it's how some ol' folks (including my gramps) refer to that kind of sound cause you can smooch so nicely to it in a dark corner in a smokey bar ... i hadnt heard the term jazz ballad yet and it somehow got stuck in my mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Thanks all for reccies, the to hear list has expanded.

If anyone's interested in Afro-Cuban/Mambo or generally Latin Jazz then a few I've liked are
    Chico O'Farrill & his Orchestra - Manteca, Afro-Cuban Jazz Suite, Castigala, Havana Special
    Cal Tjader - Soul Sauce
    Luiz Arruda Paez - Upa Neguinho
    Donald Byrd - Ghana
    Horace Parlan - Congalegre

Noro Morales and his Orchestra - 110th st. and 5th Avenue
    Horace Silver - The Cape Verdean Blues

Particularly Moorish/Eastern:
    Machito and his Orchestra - Desert Dance
    Machito Orch. & Mario Bauza - Gone City, Asia Minor

To a lesser extent but food for the soul nonetheless
    Duke Pearson - Sandalia Dela
    Cal Tjader - Descarga Cubana
    Cal Tjader and Eddie Palmieri - Guajira en Azul
    Luiz Henrique - Mas Que Nada

Maybe more latin/folk than jazz but I'd have to commend
    Cesaria Evora - Bia d'Lulucha

And mental/bizarre but somehow enduring curiosities (wouldn't shell out for these at the expense of good stuff, got them on experimentally purchased compilations upstairs in tower records)
    Harold Ousley - El Exi Henti
    Machito Orch. & Flip Phillips - Bucabu, Tanga

Even if they're not all strictly jazz the patterns are interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Got Jose James The Dreamer recently - really good jazz singer from the states, some great music on there too.
    Ordered Drawn Inward by Phil Evans - I think it is jazz/ electric acoustic vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Recent purchases:

John Scofield Uberjam (or Ueberjam); bought abroad but you can get on-line.
    Wild loud funky electric jazz (or jazz rock or I do not know what it is but it is best album I have heard in 2 years). Excellent rhythm guitar and red hot bass and drums with Scofield playing loud on top.

Louis Stewart I wished on the moon. Bought in Tower in Wicklow St. This is one of his 2 guitar (plus bass and drums) records with Heiner Franz and is from late 90s. Impeccable playing of jazz standards; note perfect bebop.

Louis Stewart and Knut Michalsen Paradoxical Interventions. Bought in Paul Ryans shop in Eustace St. Guitar duets from a few years ago recorded in Norway (very nordic sound; you can feel the fjords;
    very accoustic; you can hear heavy breathing throughout, literally). Beautiful guitar playing of mainly standards.

The Jimmy Cake Crown and Spectre (Tower Records Wicklow St.). Weird and wonderful 9 piece band play music that is probably not jazz but I do not know what else it is. They are playing 2 gigs over next few months. Bizarre and hypnotic music with strings and saxes and clarinets and accordions and stuff. Check out their myspace or youtube stuff to get an idea. Play it loud to get full impression (lap top speakers will not do justice).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Desmo wrote: »
    Recent purchases:

John Scofield Uberjam (or Ueberjam); bought abroad but you can get on-line.
    Wild loud funky electric jazz (or jazz rock or I do not know what it is but it is best album I have heard in 2 years). Excellent rhythm guitar and red hot bass and drums with Scofield playing loud on top.

Louis Stewart I wished on the moon. Bought in Tower in Wicklow St. This is one of his 2 guitar (plus bass and drums) records with Heiner Franz and is from late 90s. Impeccable playing of jazz standards; note perfect bebop.

Louis Stewart and Knut Michalsen Paradoxical Interventions. Bought in Paul Ryans shop in Eustace St. Guitar duets from a few years ago recorded in Norway (very nordic sound; you can feel the fjords;
    very accoustic; you can hear heavy breathing throughout, literally). Beautiful guitar playing of mainly standards.

The Jimmy Cake Crown and Spectre (Tower Records Wicklow St.). Weird and wonderful 9 piece band play music that is probably not jazz but I do not know what else it is. They are playing 2 gigs over next few months. Bizarre and hypnotic music with strings and saxes and clarinets and accordions and stuff. Check out their myspace or youtube stuff to get an idea. Play it loud to get full impression (lap top speakers will not do justice).

ah Uberjam - Funk central! Check out Medeski, Martin and Wood (if you haven't already!), they're definitely worth listening to if youlike your funk.

The only Louis Stewart I have is a record he did with Martin Taylor back in the 80s. Has some phenomenal interply between the two. That Nordic one you mentioned sounds interesting alright.

Recent purchases sounds like a good idea for a thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

ah Uberjam - Funk central! Check out Medeski, Martin and Wood (if you haven't already!), they're definitely worth listening to if youlike your funk.

The only Louis Stewart I have is a record he did with Martin Taylor back in the 80s. Has some phenomenal interply between the two. That Nordic one you mentioned sounds interesting alright.

Recent purchases sounds like a good idea for a thread...

ta for tip (medeski, Martin and Wood). The LS album is very gentle and contemplative compared to the one with Martin Taylor. The latter is manic. They apparently, more or less, just sat down and agreed on the tunes and counted in fast and went for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

anything by E.S.T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Gary moore & B.B king... either or both...they play Very well together and Moores guitar skills... Easily the best blues guy around...

Very few can use the tone like he does :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Desmo wrote: »
    ta for tip (medeski, Martin and Wood). The LS album is very gentle and contemplative compared to the one with Martin Taylor. The latter is manic. They apparently, more or less, just sat down and agreed on the tunes and counted in fast and went for it.

+1 on Medeski, Martin and Wood. Very, very good stuff. I'd particularly recommend their Zaebos: The Book Of Angels Volume 11 album. These are recordings of John Zorn's Masada project. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 krimson765

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

I've been listening to Miles Davis - Some Kind of Blue for the last few months.

Any recommendations of stuff of the same mood?

Was it Kind of Blue or Some Kind of Blue? Sorry to be pedantic but the latter possibly is a 'Best of' album with random tracks of his.

Kind of Blue is arguably his best known studio album, and if you like that I suggest you listen to Milestones - the album that came before Kind of Blue, and Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderly's quintet (with Miles on trumpet).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

It was kind of blue. Thanks I'll have a listen to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

Check out a group from Germany called,The Jazz Pistols,they do a lot of Weather Report and Jaco stuff as well as their own.They have 4 cds and 1 dvd.Amazing players well worth a listen

ec18 wrote: »
    It was kind of blue. Thanks I'll have a listen to them :)
    hope you like them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 An Sionnach Rua

This thread is exactly what I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

dunno if its been mentioned but charlie parker is amazing if you can take a look at his yardbird sessions :)

The best of George Benson includes,includes California Dreamin,Take Five ,Summer of 42,Summertime,and lots of other standards.A brilllant cd for the new to jazz posse ,Take Five is unbelievable.Joe Zawinul Faces and places and Weather Report 8-30 live are a favourite of mine but not for the faint hearted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

pah, George Benson's a sell-out!

Listening to a jazz classic today, Page One by Joe Henderson. Good introduction to jazz!

Hermy wrote: »
    That's a great post Tzetze. It's from Young and Fine Live, recorded in 1978, if anyone doesn't know. I have a rough copy but would love to get my hands on the DVD which is available from HMV Japan.

I have the DVD can give you a copy if you need it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I have the DVD can give you a copy if you need it
    That would be cool.
    Thanks Gussie.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Email me your forwarding address and its yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Daddio wrote: »
    Was it Kind of Blue or Some Kind of Blue? Sorry to be pedantic but the latter possibly is a 'Best of' album with random tracks of his.

Kind of Blue is arguably his best known studio album, and if you like that I suggest you listen to Milestones - the album that came before Kind of Blue, and Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderly's quintet (with Miles on trumpet).
    Bitch's Brew is where it's at :cool:

Recommending Getz/Gilberto by saxophonist Stan Getz and guitarist Joao Gilberto 'cause it's epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 peachy pie

Anita O' Day is brilliant, u shud chek er out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

monellia wrote: »
    Bitch's Brew is where it's at :cool:

I disagree. If it's jazz you're after, then Bitches Brew may not be the one for you. The rhythms are more rock than jazz, but that's not to say it's a turkey. Of Miles's experimental stuff, it's not bad. In a Silent Way is my favourite of that period.

I've only heard a handful of Miles albums, but I can recommend the following:

Kind of Blue
    Milestones
    Miles Ahead
    Porgy & Bess
    Sketches of Spain
    In a Silent Way

Turkeys:
    Miles in the Sky
    On the Corner - this is one of the worst albums I've ever heard!

I wonder could anyone recommend some more Miles must-have albums? :confused:

Advertisement