Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Recommend Me Some Jazz Thread![merged]

Options
  • 30-11-2007 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I know very little about Jazz, except that I like a miles Davis CD I got one christmas,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Jazz newbie like me?? I like his stuff, and I really like the Nina Simone greatest hits CD, not Jazz, but maybe give you guys some help, does it?? Or did you read that bit and laugh.....:D:D

All joke replies appreciated, as I am aware that to people that know about this stuff I am incredibly ignorant, but any suggestions I can buy off play or amazon would be greatly appreciated,

thanks guys,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Welcome to the wonderful world of jazz ;) You did not say which Miles album you have. His "Kind of Blue" album is a great introduction to jazz. There is such a vast selection it's hard to know where to start. Here are some I think you might like :

John Coltrane - A love Supreme

Stan Getz - Girl from Iponema

Wayne Shorter - The Soothsayer

Joe Lovano - From the Soul

Miles Davis - E.S.P.

Other artists worth a look would be : McCoy Tyner, Freddy Hubbard, Bill Evans, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, our very own Louis Stewart, and Cannonball Adderly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Glenn Miller Greatest Hits ;) (okay its very trad but can't argue with his arrangments).

For "torch singing" check out Billy Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald and Julie London. Or any of those mentioned above.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Early Coltrane (Blue train , my favorite things) is a good place to begin, Abdullah Ibrahim, Donald Byrd, Charlie Mingus, Thelonius Monk
    From the UK try Stan Tracey (Under Milk Wood) Tubby Hayes, Rendell / Carr
    . The Impressed with ...Vol 1 and 2 by Gilles Peterson really gives you all you need in the way of UK Jazz.

can I ask if anyone can recommend any "smooth jazz" (something for the wee hours that isn't -We have all the time in the world etc)?

buck65 wrote: »
    can I ask if anyone can recommend any "smooth jazz" (something for the wee hours that isn't -We have all the time in the world etc)?

Bob James

David Sanborn

Tom Scott

Grover Washington Jr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Ah sure it's a great music to learn about, and there's a lot out there aswell - as you'll quite quickly realise.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Glenn Miller Greatest Hits ;) (okay its very trad but can't argue with his arrangments).

For "torch singing" check out Billy Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald and Julie London. Or any of those mentioned above.

Mike.
    And if it's big band you like you can't do much better than The Duke of Ellington :)
    http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/764591/Ellington-At-Newport-1956/Product.html

There's a great story behind the record aswell, read it here.

Ellington aside, I'd recommend taking a look at allaboutjazz.com's building a jazz library article. Check out Blue Note's Golden Decade, and Masterpieces 1956-1965 lists.

Now that'll keep you busy for a while :p And let us know albums what you get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for starting this thread.

I actually came here looking for similar info.

I haven't really appricated Jazz until fairly recently, actually until I started listening to RTE LyricFM and was wondering about a good starting point for a newbie too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭loadabollocks

i'd recommend some Eddie Condon. I think it would be quite accessible for someone new to scene. I have a recording of his called Jam Session Coast to Coast / Jammin at Condon's. Brilliant stuff. was one of my first jazz cd's and i still lash it on from time to time.

Thanks Rigby, have ordered Double Vision . Seems to be well recommended.

Thanks Rigby, have ordered Double Vision . Seems to be well recommended.

Good choice ! I have that one. I'm sure you wont be disappointed. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Sincerest apologies with the late reply, I have been away with work,

I will be getting some stuff this weekend in HMV and I will let you all know how I got on,

any Miles Davis recommendations?, I own Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain, both amazing, but the mind boggles with Miles' discography - could any fans recommend a few of his other good albums please

any Miles Davis recommendations?, I own Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain, both amazing, but the mind boggles with Miles' discography - could any fans recommend a few of his other good albums please

Yes, Miles' discography is large and varied. Some of my favourites would be :

In a silent way

Bitches Brew (his electric period - an aquired taste but a great album)

Aura

E.S.P.

Siesta

Miles in the Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Birth of the Cool is a great album of Miles' to get you into jazz

Filles de Kilmanjaro really does it for me. Check it out if you want some funky/chilled out jazz.

If you're more of an orchestration fellow Porgy and Bess and Miles Ahead are worth getting. (like Sketches of Spain)
    If you liked Kind of Blue check out Milestones, the title track is a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well thanks guys.

I started my collection the other day, and all from (of all places) PowerCity.

Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holliday, Glen Miller & Duke Ellington and all for €4- each.. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Looking for some instrumental jazz....any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Bitches Brew is one of my all time favs.

Ever since I got my Internet Radio I've been getting back into late-nite Jazz. Kansas college radio have a great easy-listening all-night show at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Try 'Miles Ahead', 'Porgy and Bess' and 'In a Silent Way'. Watch out though - he has a few real turkeys as well, e.g 'On The Corner' and 'Miles in the Sky', as well as some absolute shockers...pretty much anything from the 80s. Most of his jazz-fusion stuff is crap.

John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk - you'll like that stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Miles as said above and Thelonious Monk is great. Any monk albums are great and different to listen to than most of the bop at the time.

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    Looking for some instrumental jazz....any recommendations?
    Depends what type of jazz you're looking for tbh. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue is a good starter, but go for Ellington if you want some swing.

Daddio wrote: »
    Depends what type of jazz

More relaxed...almost chill out music

Kind of Blue (as mentioned by Daddio)

Stan Getz

In a silent Way (Miles Davis)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Tzetze wrote: »
    Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

with all those crazy time signatures!

thanks i'll have a loooksie and see what I find

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Another relative jazz noob looking for recommendations here. I'm a casual listener, I have some jazz records and I've enjoyed stuff by Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Dizzy Gillespie, Django Reindhart and some others. I like long, repetitive, hypnotic pieces. Where should I go from here? I'd prefer to listen to challenging stuff rather than "safe" stuff, if you know what I mean, but nothing too crazy just yet ;)

For a start you could check out John Coltrane, especially his "A love Supreme" album. Also, he does an amazing cover of "My favourite Things" which might fulfill your requirement of long and repetitive. He can also provide more "crazy" "out" stuff if you feel you might want that at a later stage. Other names worth considering would be Wayne Shorter, Rick Margitza, Michael Brecker, Freddy Hubbard, Bud Powell and John Schofield.

cornbb wrote: »
    Another relative jazz noob looking for recommendations here. I'm a casual listener, I have some jazz records and I've enjoyed stuff by Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Dizzy Gillespie, Django Reindhart and some others. I like long, repetitive, hypnotic pieces. Where should I go from here? I'd prefer to listen to challenging stuff rather than "safe" stuff, if you know what I mean, but nothing too crazy just yet ;)
    Maybe Pharoah Sanders: Karma might be an interesting option, and challenging too. It's hypnotic in a repetitive statement of themes, with indian and african influences. Worth a listen imo.

The opposite of that would be ambient hypnotic, for which I'd recommend trumpeter Arve Henriksen. Sakuteiki is inspired by Japanese Gardens, so quite minimal, but hypnotic nonetheless. His trumpet style is very unique, he makes it sound like a shakuhachi.

• Advertisement

Actually there's an australian jazz piano trio, and I think you'd enjoy them cornbb. They're called The Necks, and the album to get is called See Through/Mosquito. It is a double album of two 61 minute minimal embellishments over a motif. Not a typical piano trio at all, very hypnotic and atmospheric, amazing music.

Advertisement