Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

That's the same setting I use mine at Amalgam, once you're used to it you'll be flying through it but I actually enjoy my shave much more now, it's more manly or something, and as you mention it makes a nice noise :D

The only problem now is that I'm spending a fortune trying out different shaving creams and oils, I've become such a woman in an ironic way. Don't know which thread I mentioned this site on but I'm spending a small fortune on www.4men.ie. I've found Jack Black supreme shaving creme quite good. It doesn't get all lathery though which some people don't like but I don't find it a problem and gives a decent smooth shave.
    Just before christmas I bought myself a little pressie of this as I had run out of everything at the same time http://www.4men.ie/index.php?sid=5ae95949dd8cf89284d7120bcef9cc2a&cl=details&anid=c8b4904d0851e0769.68322241&pgNr=4&listtype=search&searchvendor=ebc4904ab7b9baad5.65368653
    A bit pricey but if the mags and stuff are anything to believe it's a good product.

I've wondered the same as you about travelling with it though. I'll bring it if my luggage is in the hold but if carrying my bag in the cabin when going away for a weekend I bring my old razor with me, I can sacrifice a shave or two with it.

Edit, ah I see noby has answered that question for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Jip, you should try a shaving soap. Once you lather it up well it works a treat, and will last a long time.
    I got mine from Connaught in a little wooden bowl for around a tenner.

wp48ef9580_0f.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I bought myself shaving soap, just got my delivery this morning. :)
    razor
    soap
    blades
    badger brush
    shave.jpg

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I've used soap before, don't think it was a great brand though as it wasn't very smooth but I actually prefer the brushless shaving creams.
    I might give it another go when the lot of stuff I have now run out.

I hope anyone from the major brands who produce the multi bladed rubbish haven't been reading any of these threads lately. If they get the idea that there's a revolution going on they might try buying these smaller companies and start charging a fiver a blade :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Amalgam wrote: »
    A question I meant to ask, will Customs\'Airport Security' confiscate a safety razor in these post you-know-what-event years?

..and if they do notice your exotic shaving gear, will they leave the razor and just confiscate blades?

I've never travelled with a safety and dread losing it all.

Yes, you can't take safety razor blades in hand luggage :mad: I bring a disposable for travel.

• Advertisement

The safety razor is very unforgiving if there's a lack of water\lubricant. I have a bit of razor burn directly under the nose, I went over where it had dried to catch some stubble, not bothering to slap some lather on it.

Try a brush and some good quality shaving cream from Trumper, Taylor or Truefitt & Hill. Avocado is a great one to start with.

MT

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jip wrote: »
    I hope anyone from the major brands who produce the multi bladed rubbish haven't been reading any of these threads lately. If they get the idea that there's a revolution going on they might try buying these smaller companies and start charging a fiver a blade :eek:

If they haven't bought them yet they won't bother to be honest especially in the times we're in, to be honest even if they did some company in china would pick up the slack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Cabaal wrote: »
    razor
    soap
    blades
    badger brush :)

Excellent! I ordered mine the same day so I should have it when I get home from work :)

Jip wrote: »

The revolution has been going for a few years now, and the response from the big boys - more blades in each cartridge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I went to my Barber's (shameless plug), Ali's Barber Shop, 23a Aungier Street.

(its the second hand shop of the woman that was killed and whose body was wrapped in a mattress in St. Stephen's Green..)

We spoke about safety razors and just chit chat about how relatively recent the modern plastic ones came about (1971?). He pulled out some odd blades, they're safety razor blades, but split down the middle. They would still have the inner grooves and holes for placement it seems, but as I said, they're two blades.

Just to add, they're *NOT* Bohemian blades (with a metal clip on one edge), which I've used for years to cut out CD sleeves from printer pages.

What would they be for? Is it just to save on half a blade in a commercial environment?

• Advertisement

We spoke about safety razors and just chit chat about how relatively recent the modern plastic ones came about (1971?). He pulled out some odd blades, they're safety razor blades, but split down the middle. They would still have the inner grooves and holes for placement it seems, but as I said, they're two blades.

Just to add, they're *NOT* Bohemian blades (with a metal clip on one edge), which I've used for years to cut out CD sleeves from printer pages.

What would they be for? Is it just to save on half a blade in a commercial environment?

They're used in 'shavettes' - which is a straight razor that takes a blade rather than having to strop and hone it. You can still buy these half blades in India, Pakistan and Egypt for example. Most people just snap a safely bladed in half though.

MT

Cheers MediaTank, that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

one thing i noticed about the merkur is that it's very bottom heavy, it would have been better off putting that heft up top for extra cutting power.

Not that the top is lightweight. So far I'm liking it..gave me an awful rash at first but whenever i change shaving tools that happens. I'm liking it right now but time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I went to my Barber's (shameless plug), Ali's Barber Shop, 23a Aungier Street.

Kinda OT... but is that barbers any good? I usually go to the Grafton Barbers but they've fooked up my beard once or twice. :(

Bambi wrote: »
    one thing i noticed about the merkur is that it's very bottom heavy, it would have been better off putting that heft up top for extra cutting power.

Not that the top is lightweight. So far I'm liking it..gave me an awful rash at first but whenever i change shaving tools that happens. I'm liking it right now but time will tell.

Which Merkur do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Aha, the auld HD. Great razor, try holding the end of it with your fingertips to balance it better when shaving.

Dord wrote: »
    Kinda OT... but is that barbers any good? I usually go to the Grafton Barbers but they've fooked up my beard once or twice. :(

It is OT, just a little..

Very quiet and unassuming barbers, polite chat. Doesn't rush either, puts time into the neck and around the ears. I moved off from the center of town purely for price reasons. I couldn't justify 'accepting' a price of 18 euro for a blade 2 on top, one on the sides..

I can't vouch for beard maintenance. Go up and have a look, it's opposite that place where you could go in and light candles, Nuns etc.

I didn't have problems with grip and the Futur, but I just love the diamond grooving on the handle of the HD (34C), along with the bolt like end, looking like it came out of some heavy machinery.

Cabaal wrote: »
    razor
    soap
    blades
    badger brush
    shave.jpg

:)

Bah, I am slightly envious of your Progress plastic storage box. I think the 34C (HD) comes in a card box only.

Who wouldn't be happy getting such a stylish razor as a present. Very nice.

• Advertisement

A thread over @ badger & Blade detailing a modified Merkur Progress.

A 'Mergress'.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10173

Very nice, I love the painted, coloured dots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

A thread over @ badger & Blade detailing a modified Merkur Progress.

A 'Mergress'.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10173

Very nice, I love the painted, coloured dots.

Wow that's awesome looking now! :cool:

I would get a safety razor but I don't really have a need for one right now. All I shave at the moment is the neckline for my beard. :o
    The safety razors look so cool though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Damn you Alamgam!:D
    I havnt even got my progress in the post yet, and I want it modified! I was between the HD (looks like it could be used as a lynchpin to tow the QE2) and the progress (adjustable) and went for the progress, but was never happy with a bit of plastic hanging off it. (I would have given the guy who came up with that plan 40 lashes if I was the project manager for the progress...). I'm an Engineer in case you havnt guessed
    In the meantime, check out the workmanship on this..

http://www.shavemac.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p1140_DOVO-Straight-Razor--22012.html

I wasn't happy with the Progress having the adjustment at the bottom, that's why I picked up a Futur from a fellow boards member.

My HD (34C) hasn't arrived yet, hopefully on Monday.

Further in that thread the shaft mutates a fair bit, member 'Mer' did a few one off designs, an adjustment piece more or less two inches long, a 'nugget' end shape plated with gold it seems and finally, a 'lockable' adjustment ring with the use of an Alan key.

So I've had my first two shaves with my progress, first off I've found the shave is certainly closer then the Fusion I was using.

However the shaving soap I bought caused my face to be very red in places and it dried out everything to the last. Plus I managed to nick myself about 5 times which was great fun as I normally don't in anyway :)

So today I switched to using my normal shaving cream "king of shaves shave gel" which worked alot better then the shaving soap plus only barely nicked myself once.

With the exception of the shaving soap and fact I should have forked out for a better shave brush then the budget one I bought I'm happy with the closeness of the shave when compared to normal razor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I've had mine for about 7-9 shaves and its working a treat.I still have yet to master which setting to have it on and what the actual difference in settings is. It doesn't come with a manual etc.
    I nick myself once or twice at the beginning, but now its all good! The shave is amazing and I have pretty sensitive skin when it comes to shaving and there has yet to be a problem with razor burn or the likes.
    I really enjoy shaving now that I have a nice bit of kit to use. Its a different experience compared to the usual 3 blade quick shave I used to do.

What blades did you use Cabaal?

What blades did you use Cabaal?

First blade I used was one of the blades that came with the razor, there made by Merkur. second blade I used was the Israeli made blade - these http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/catalog/30-Israeli-Made-Double-Edged-Razor-Blades-p-2705.html

tbh the Israeli made blade seemed better, still got others to try though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I'm using shaving soap too - with good success. I also got some pre-shave soap. I only have a cheapo brush, but after watching instruction videos on the net I'm definitely lathering up better. Maybe this is part of your problem, Cabaal?

I like the guys analogy of your face being a golf course, and to just shoot for par. When I do nick myself I know I was "going for a birdie", and took a divot out of the fairway.
    Like chicken feed my neck is pretty sensitive, and nicks aside the end result is fantastic.

• Advertisement

noby wrote: »
    I'm using shaving soap too - with good success. I also got some pre-shave soap. I only have a cheapo brush, but after watching instruction videos on the net I'm definitely lathering up better. Maybe this is part of your problem, Cabaal?

I've made sure to lather up plenty but I could feel my face tightening and drying when I used the shaving soap no matter how much water I used so I don't think it was a good option to go with, I am however going to look at different shaving creams.

I didn't have the same issue with the normal shaving gel which I made into a pretty good lather

Also I don't find my cheapo brush that great so I'm going to replace that took.
    I like the guys analogy of your face being a golf course, and to just shoot for par. When I do nick myself I know I was "going for a birdie", and took a divot out of the fairway.
    Like chicken feed my neck is pretty sensitive, and nicks aside the end result is fantastic.

Yeah I've found the end result pretty damn good alright, though need to work on shaving my neck better but the face is a very very close shave with no razor burn :)

Somebody mentioned before that Lidi do after shave stuff, any idea what its called?

Advertisement