Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan & Becs - out now on DVD

Options
  • 30-12-2008 12:54am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭

And people would spend their hard earned money on this, why???

I'm flabergasted.

It's bad enough that RTE show this rubbish. But thinking people will buy a DVD of it. They have some cheek! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well you were just watching it weren't you? I mean that's how you know it's out now on dvd...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

amdublin wrote: »
    And people would spend their hard earned money on this, why???

To use as a fashionable coaster?

To use to show aspiring actors how not to act?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Try imagine, just for one teeny tiny second, (just entertain the thought) that not every single person thinks like and likes what you like and dislikes what you like. Image then that they like it, and they want to buy it. Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Karoma wrote: »
    Try imagine, just for one teeny tiny second, (just entertain the thought) that not every single person thinks like and likes what you like and dislikes what you like. Image then that they like it, and they want to buy it. Imagine.

true! I like dan and becs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Gotta disagree with you. ONly saw it on TV though, didnt fork out my own hard-earned.

Dan and Becs wasnt bad at all. Ross O'Carrol Kelly without the lampooning. Made it a pretty decent picture of an element of celtic tiger Ireland in the Dalkey-Sandymount-Rathmines triangle. For two kids and a handheld camera, made with a budget of the leftovers from someone elses bag of peanuts, quite a worthy effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Didn't think it was that bad, it had some funny moments. Loved the names of Bec's friends and their accents.

Plus, Becs is exceedingly hot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I thought it quite funny in places. The Howya version being filmed may be worth watching also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

It was okay for RTE

once I seen Marion and Geoff though my opinion of it dropped hugely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I bet the OP was watching. As I said I do like it but I don't really understand why anybody would buy the dvd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Its a woeful show and anyone who watches it has a terrible taste in comedy.
    That said it could perhaps translate into a radio podcast type show. The producers don't take advantage of the visual element at all, its just a guy and girl telling anecdotes into the camera.

It would be ideal to listen to in bed while falling asleep.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I thought it was quite good.

Along with Paths of Glory it's about the only decent comedy RTÉ has come out with in recent memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Stupid show, stupid actors.

Your ones voice... jesus I don't think I've ever heard something so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Not a huge fan, but I cant agree with the "Stupid show / stupid actors" comment.

I found it watchable, and having seen the 2 leads interviewed, I thought the difference between their on-screen persona's and their actual personalities was quite striking. They did (on-screen) put me in mind of the swarms of Rugby oafs and Stepford Trophy girlfriends that I was unfortunate enough to have to regularly deal with in the Stillorgan / Foxrock area recently.

To annoy me that much, they'd have to be quite good actors.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

People find that hard when the world rotates around them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I used to blast Dan and Becs. Then I took the time to sit down and watch an episode and it was actually very good. I don't think I'd buy the DVD but hopefully there is more to come from those two in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not a huge fan, but I cant agree with the "Stupid show / stupid actors" comment.

I found it watchable, and having seen the 2 leads interviewed, I thought the difference between their on-screen persona's and their actual personalities was quite striking. They did (on-screen) put me in mind of the swarms of Rugby oafs and Stepford Trophy girlfriends that I was unfortunate enough to have to regularly deal with in the Stillorgan / Foxrock area recently.

To annoy me that much, they'd have to be quite good actors.

I saw the girl that played Becs in that thing RTE did about sending young actors to Hollywood and she sounded exactly like Becs albeit a slightly toned down version. I don't think it was that much of a stretch for her to play that part. Still found her acting terribly wooden though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Sandwich wrote: »
    Gotta disagree with you. ONly saw it on TV though, didnt fork out my own hard-earned.

Dan and Becs wasnt bad at all. Ross O'Carrol Kelly without the lampooning. Made it a pretty decent picture of an element of celtic tiger Ireland in the Dalkey-Sandymount-Rathmines triangle. For two kids and a handheld camera, made with a budget of the leftovers from someone elses bag of peanuts, quite a worthy effort.

Absolutely agree.
    Only saw it for the first time today and you can easily tell for what it is it's pretty impressive.
    There's such an in-grained hatred of Irish produced shows on Boards.ie that whent the odd show that is obviously not bad comes along people can't remove the blinkers.

It's Irish and it has Irish cultural touchstones, more than any foreign comedies, and comparing it to those same big budget US comedies and dramadies is nothing short of idiotic - especially when the conversation centres on how low-fi the show is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

I saw the girl that played Becs in that thing RTE did about sending young actors to Hollywood and she sounded exactly like Becs albeit a slightly toned down version. I don't think it was that much of a stretch for her to play that part.

In fairness, theres a bit more to acting than "sounding like" your intended character.

Frank Carson sounds a bit like Ian Paisley, but is unfortunately unlikely to play him on-screen any time soon.

(And to be fair, if this had been an in-house rte comedy production with Rte writers, they wouldn't have had a qualm about putting two ac-tors from Galway or wherever in the parts, pretending to be from the money belt, and as a consequence, they wouldn't have been as familiar with the day-to-day source material as the two leads were, and it would have been the usual embarrassing rte comedy. )

It's not the funniest nor most original thing I've ever seen, but at least it steals from creditable sources, and it's far from poisonous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I found his discussion about his "life changing" 7 days in Peru particularly amusing.

Its exactly the same reaction as Southside J1ers have on their return from New York or San Diego.

Then you discover that the lesson learn was "the importance of not being poor" !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

im a culchie myself and i really enjoyed dan and becs anytime i watched it , found it to be a clever and warm comedy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Well why can't I get Baywatch Nights on DVD then? Thats right, because it is complete **** and there is no demand for it.

Well why can't I get Baywatch Nights on DVD then? Thats right, because it is complete **** and there is no demand for it.

Great work on the non sequitur.
    The comparison is plaintively wrong in the sense that the series is already on DVD and as this thread has shown alot of people do like the show.

Sorrrrrry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Holsten wrote: »
    Stupid show, stupid actors.

Your ones voice... jesus I don't think I've ever heard something so annoying.

I think some people are missing the point, they're *drumroll* ...acting...look it up...here, I've done it for you.

It's a comedy, a parody, she's supposed to be annoying, which means she's doing her job perfectly well! She is a fine actress (in all senses of the word!).

I think it's a great show, done on a shoestring budget.

Syferus wrote: »
    Great work on the non sequitur.
    The comparison is plaintively wrong in the sense that the series is already on DVD and as this thread has shown alot of people do like the show.

Sorrrrrry.
    No, its just RTE misreading demand. And any body who uses the term non sequitur is a bit of a cock.

No, its just RTE misreading demand. And any body who uses the term non sequitur is a bit of a cock.

So I should just say 'you transitioned from one topic to another without basis'? Or will that make the 'peeps' feel inferior too?

And it costs next to nothing for RTE to release DVDs of it's home-grown productions, so a cost arguement is futile - even if you don't like the show, the DVDs will recoup some of the money used in making the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

post retracted, I was unaware I was breaching the charter.

I will add I watch historical documentaries on that site that are not available to buy in Ireland so it has its uses

mikemac wrote: »
    If you don't want to buy the DVD it's all up on youtube anyway
    Seeing as the episodes were so short, it's an ideal sort of show to have on youtube.

So if you likeit but don't want to spend anything above your internet connection fee, you now know where to go.
    Suggesting sites for copyrighted material is a banning offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Suggesting sites for copyrighted material is a banning offence.

What about thinly-disguised insults?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I found it funny but not something id invest on buying on DVD. Just something to flick onto for a quick laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yakuza wrote: »
    I think some people are missing the point, they're *drumroll* ...acting...look it up...here, I've done it for you.

It's a comedy, a parody, she's supposed to be annoying, which means she's doing her job perfectly well! She is a fine actress (in all senses of the word!).

I think it's a great show, done on a shoestring budget.

Bad acting.

And she sounds like that when she is not "acting".

It's just an annoying accent.

Advertisement