Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I always thought His Dark Materials was a bit mehhh personally.

Yay someone agrees :D

Btw whoever read Life of Pi, what exactly is it? I've seen it on the shelf somewhere and not sure whether it's the type of book I'd read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It starts off with various musings on philosophy and religion until SUDDENLY STRANDED IN THE OCEAN WITH A TIGER! And then most of the rest of the book is about the boy in the boat with the tiger and him surviving.

It's very good :)

Cool sounds confusing and twisted.
    I like the sound of it :P
    *grabs from shelf*

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

Jack Kerouac-On the road.. I got through the first 10 pages and now I'm too lazy to continue.. But I promised myself I would finish it till the new year's eve.

Devil Bones by Kathy Reichs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

I'm just finished Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, thought it was brilliant! I'm starting The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Kafka now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

I've just finished Neuromancer and Count Zero by William Gibson
    excellent cyberpunk...he even predicts some slag that we use on the net nowadays

Tomorrow I start House of Chains by Steven Erikson (The Malazan Book of the Fallen)
    Awaiting moar Neil Gaiman as soon as possible

Blue, who should be sleeping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

victoriaa wrote: »
    Jack Kerouac-On the road.. I got through the first 10 pages and now I'm too lazy to continue.. But I promised myself I would finish it till the new year's eve.
    Give it time. I know its a bit slow and long-winded, but it really grew on me. After a while I just couldn't put it down.
    banjopaul wrote: »
    I'm starting The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Kafka now.
    Brilliant, that Kafka lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Currently reading "Chaos" by James Gleick.
    It's about Chaos Theory, which is a very interesting subject.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll be starting Angela's Ashes in a few days time, got through the first 3 chapters of Northern Lights very quickly last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Looking For Alaska-John Green.

Pleasant so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid. Meant to be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

A short history of nearly everything-Bill Bryson.
    Its heavy going at times but absolutely fascinating!

YES. I've read this at least 4 times in as many years. Mind blowing.

Couple on the go at the mo:

Mr. S and the Secrets of Andorra's Box - Ross 'O Carroll Kelly. Everything I'd expect so far. Brainless laugh.

Q&A - Forget Author. Only read one chapter but I have a feeling I'm going to be fairly engrossed in this one once I get into it.

Lined up: Animal Farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

cautioner wrote: »
    Q&A - Forget Author.
    Vikas Swarup, remembered that without googling too! Thats what working in a book shop does to ya!:D
    Lined up: Animal Farm.
    Good choice, I love Orwell, read 1984 too if you haven't already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've read Nineteen Eighty Four and it was good but I was a little underwhelmed.
    But then again since it has so much acclaim and hype my expectations may have been a bit too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

At the moment, Playstation The official magazine January 09 Issue.

Or the subtitles of Call of Duty: World at War, Fallout 3 or speech bubbles in LittleBigPlanet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Michael Collins, the autobiography by Tim Pat Coogan! Absolutely fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

For some lighthearted humour, 'For Crying out loud' - Jeremy Clarkson

also reading The Key to Midnight by Dean Koontz, havnt picked it up in a few days though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Mr. S and the Secrets of Andorra's Box - Ross 'O Carroll Kelly. Everything I'd expect so far. Brainless laugh.

Got this for Christmas..so funny. Back to loads of reading now that it's Christmas holidays... Moving onto Breaking Dawn of the twilight saga :D

I actually thought the Life of Pi was boring....the bit with the tiger in the boat just went on for, literally, the whole book. I kept waiting for the plot to continue only to discover..it didn't.

Selphie wrote: »
    Got this for Christmas..so funny. Back to loads of reading now that it's Christmas holidays... Moving onto Breaking Dawn of the twilight saga :D

I actually thought the Life of Pi was boring....the bit with the tiger in the boat just went on for, literally, the whole book. I kept waiting for the plot to continue only to discover..it didn't.

:( My sympathies...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly is, like, a ledge, and we are talking TOTALLY, roysh?! :D

I bought Dante's Inferno today. Really looking forward to reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Yeah got it aswell, was meaning to make a start on it last night but then i watched the first 4 episodes of The Wire last night and bloody hell its brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Reading Watchmen myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

the broker - john grisham. quality author imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Just starting " The Flight of the Einstein". Warhammer 40k novel :)

Just bought "The Book of Dave" today, gonna start it tomorrow. I haven't read a novel in so long!

That the Will Self one?

Yeah, it's pretty crazy to read so far, It's sort of written in futuristic cockney, but everything's spelled phonetically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

just finished "Surf's Up - A girl's guide to surfing". pretty good. takes the time to break **** down that guys'll never ask. also referred to 'the time of month' as 'shark week', which, a week after reading it, is still amusing me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.
    The clothes descriptions keep reminding me of the Ross O Carroll Kelly books, which couldn't be more different to this. I'm realising how broad the term "comedy" is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

im just about to start the matchbreaker by chris manby

i feel enjoy reading fluff:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Kama Sutra by Deeprak Chopra. Is inspiring :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

The chinese menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Just finished Looking for Alaska..............Need more John Green :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

If not now, when? by Primo Levi, and dipping in and out of a pretty hefty American short story anthology. College starts again on Monday though, so it'll be back to skimming through stuff a bit more academic than that (kind of :) and kind of :() and reading heat magazine when my brain stops working.

Oh, and the Mighty Book of Boosh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just reading No One Knows!!!-The QotSA story by Joel McIvor. Ah tis all good as it is about something I really like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.
    The clothes descriptions keep reminding me of the Ross O Carroll Kelly books, which couldn't be more different to this. I'm realising how broad the term "comedy" is...

Paul Howard was referencing to American Psycho.

Paul Howard was referencing to American Psycho.

Indeed. Tis meant to give you an insight into a shallow mind. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

The Liar by Stephen Fry
    I like Stephen Fry but oh how this book hurts my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

I have a strong tendency to read half book and forget about it. Currently lying half-read around my house are Bram Stoker's Dracula, Dante's Inferno and Upton Sinclair's Oil!. I rarely find time to read these days because I figure if I have time to read, why not make it a textbook and ease the study load. Still, I am determined to finish Oil! over the Xmas hols and get started on Les Miserables next year.

Hey, what the hell are you doing sharing my life and eccentricities?
    I too have a multitude of 1/2 read books.
    Hemingway's 'Death in the Afternoon' = to repetitive and the device he uses to keep us entertained (the conversations w/the old lady) becomes boring. He has fallen between writing a book about bull fighting history and witty anecdotes. Disappointing.
    Jamie Whyte's 'Bad Thoughts - a guide to clear thinking.' = well worth reading even if you disagree w/the observations. More rational and logical thought please!
    David Attenborough's 'The First Eden.' = only a few pages in!!!
    Rebecca West's 'Black Lamb and Grey Falcon - a journey through Yugoslavia.' = I read this book years ago and damn it's amazing. So I purchased it recently and starting again. Please read this book.
    Finally - A.F Chalmers (second edition) 'What is this thing called Science.' = a discourse on the scientific methods and philosophy - so far it's interesting. I'm currently studying science w/the OU.
    I would recommend a book by David A. Akaret 'The man who loved a Polar Bear.' = it's about a NY psychiatrist who at the end of his career is in a reflective mood and decides to visit some of his more extravagant patients to see if his work had any effect. A very light fascinating read.
    Nerd for life.;):pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

EmoMatt15 wrote: »
    The Liar by Stephen Fry
    I like Stephen Fry but oh how this book hurts my head

It's really not his best work, have you read anything else by him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Currently reading Tracy Chevalier. I recommend all her books, and the film 'Girl With A Pearl Earring'- gorgeous.

I also recommend the novel 'Junk' by Melvin Burgess. That book kept me sane during my teens. :D

No, I havent read much printed work of his except The Liar but I read his internet blogs and like his Podcasts!

The main reason I bought the book (apart from it being by Fry of course) is because I am...how shall we put it, of the same persuasion as the main character??
    If that makes sense

Acacia wrote: »
    Currently reading Tracy Chevalier. I recommend all her books, and the film 'Girl With A Pearl Earring'- gorgeous.

I also recommend the novel 'Junk' by Melvin Burgess. That book kept me sane during my teens. :D

Yeah Junk is really something people should read when they're 13/14. Also Go Ask Alice.

Actually most drug books are good when you're 13-15.

No, I havent read much printed work of his except The Liar but I read his internet blogs and like his Podcasts!

The main reason I bought the book (apart from it being by Fry of course) is because I am...how shall we put it, of the same persuasion as the main character??
    If that makes sense

I've read a couple of his other books and was definitely disapointed by the liar, apart from that I'm only really familiar with his television work (which is brilliant, incase you've managed not to encounter it).

Not sure I picked up on the subtlety of the last bit lol....it tends to be a recurring theme of his though. Recurring theme of my life at the minute actually, people seem to have made a new year's resolution to come out or something :D but that's not really relevant

• Advertisement

Yeh The Liar is a bit weird!!

Who hasnt encountered his TV work!!
    from A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie and Whose Line is It Anyway back in the day to Fry in America and QI!!!

QI!!!!

Also anyone ever read The Zombie Survival Guide or World War Z by Max Brooks?
    Zoooooombies :D

Hm Just yesterday my friend was going on about those books, saidn they were great. Apparently the zombie survival guide is written really seriously.

The Survival Guide is the comedy one of the books...Has chapters about myths of zombies, the zombie disease etc
    World War Z is the serious one. It takes place about 10 years after humanity turned the tables against the Zombies in a big war, and the book is made up of interviews from people who were caught up in the war, its very well written :D
    World War Z is being made into a movie aswell!

The Survival Guide is the comedy one of the books...Has chapters about myths of zombies, the zombie disease etc
    World War Z is the serious one. It takes place about 10 years after humanity turned the tables against the Zombies in a big war, and the book is made up of interviews from people who were caught up in the war, its very well written :D
    World War Z is being made into a movie aswell!

Yeah, that's how they get you.
    I honestly didn't understand how that book was labelled "comedy". It was so serious.

Finished Animal Farm; it would have been a better read if I was more politically aware. Didn't properly understand most of the allusions. Oh well, I got the gist, damn Commies...

Finished Animal Farm; it would have been a better read if I was more politically aware. Didn't properly understand most of the allusions. Oh well, I got the gist, damn Commies...

I read that when I was about eight, thought the first person who told me it was an adult book and a metaphor for communism was pulling the piss. Went back and re-read it and by gum it is!

• Advertisement
Advertisement