Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Veda Muscular Weaponry

EmoMatt15 wrote: »
    The Liar by Stephen Fry
    I like Stephen Fry but oh how this book hurts my head

It's really not his best work, have you read anything else by him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Currently reading Tracy Chevalier. I recommend all her books, and the film 'Girl With A Pearl Earring'- gorgeous.

I also recommend the novel 'Junk' by Melvin Burgess. That book kept me sane during my teens. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

No, I havent read much printed work of his except The Liar but I read his internet blogs and like his Podcasts!

The main reason I bought the book (apart from it being by Fry of course) is because I am...how shall we put it, of the same persuasion as the main character??
    If that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Acacia wrote: »
    Currently reading Tracy Chevalier. I recommend all her books, and the film 'Girl With A Pearl Earring'- gorgeous.

I also recommend the novel 'Junk' by Melvin Burgess. That book kept me sane during my teens. :D

Yeah Junk is really something people should read when they're 13/14. Also Go Ask Alice.

Actually most drug books are good when you're 13-15.

No, I havent read much printed work of his except The Liar but I read his internet blogs and like his Podcasts!

The main reason I bought the book (apart from it being by Fry of course) is because I am...how shall we put it, of the same persuasion as the main character??
    If that makes sense

I've read a couple of his other books and was definitely disapointed by the liar, apart from that I'm only really familiar with his television work (which is brilliant, incase you've managed not to encounter it).

Not sure I picked up on the subtlety of the last bit lol....it tends to be a recurring theme of his though. Recurring theme of my life at the minute actually, people seem to have made a new year's resolution to come out or something :D but that's not really relevant

• Advertisement

Yeh The Liar is a bit weird!!

Who hasnt encountered his TV work!!
    from A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie and Whose Line is It Anyway back in the day to Fry in America and QI!!!

QI!!!!

Also anyone ever read The Zombie Survival Guide or World War Z by Max Brooks?
    Zoooooombies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hm Just yesterday my friend was going on about those books, saidn they were great. Apparently the zombie survival guide is written really seriously.

The Survival Guide is the comedy one of the books...Has chapters about myths of zombies, the zombie disease etc
    World War Z is the serious one. It takes place about 10 years after humanity turned the tables against the Zombies in a big war, and the book is made up of interviews from people who were caught up in the war, its very well written :D
    World War Z is being made into a movie aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

The Survival Guide is the comedy one of the books...Has chapters about myths of zombies, the zombie disease etc
    World War Z is the serious one. It takes place about 10 years after humanity turned the tables against the Zombies in a big war, and the book is made up of interviews from people who were caught up in the war, its very well written :D
    World War Z is being made into a movie aswell!

Yeah, that's how they get you.
    I honestly didn't understand how that book was labelled "comedy". It was so serious.

Finished Animal Farm; it would have been a better read if I was more politically aware. Didn't properly understand most of the allusions. Oh well, I got the gist, damn Commies...

cautioner wrote: »
    Finished Animal Farm; it would have been a better read if I was more politically aware. Didn't properly understand most of the allusions. Oh well, I got the gist, damn Commies...

I read that when I was about eight, thought the first person who told me it was an adult book and a metaphor for communism was pulling the piss. Went back and re-read it and by gum it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I read that when I was about eight, thought the first person who told me it was an adult book and a metaphor for communism was pulling the piss.

You sound like Adrian Mole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Life on Air,David Attenborough's autobiography. Not too far in but it's a good read so far. I love everything I've read and watched by him so I expect it to be interesting.

Nearly finished The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It's making me think about things in a different way but I'm not a fan of this type of book!

Also just read The Art of Expressing the Human Body which is about Bruce Lee and his training. Very good read for anyone who's interested in him.

also just finished reading 1984...again !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Piste wrote: »
    Yeah Junk is really something people should read when they're 13/14. Also Go Ask Alice.

Actually most drug books are good when you're 13-15.

Cool, I don't know anybody who has read 'Junk'. I felt it described pretty accurately all the mixed up stuff you feel when you're a teenager. And the drugs thing explains addiction really well without being preachy.

Currently reading "Chaos" by James Gleick.
    It's about Chaos Theory, which is a very interesting subject.

Read that a few years ago, pretty good book. You should read his biography of Richard Feynman, I thought it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Atm I'm reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.... a loada hogwash tbh! Only reading it because twas a Christmas pressie :(
    However I got my old man the Audacity of Hope and I can't wait to read it! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

Fad wrote: »
    Just finished Looking for Alaska..............Need more John Green :(

I love John Green :D Alaska's the only one of his books that have been published over here. I had to get An Abundance of Katherines and Paper Towns from Amazon. Worth it though, he's a damned good author. (Although the story he wrote for that Let it Snow book was a bit meh.)

I love John Green :D Alaska's the only one of his books that have been published over here. I had to get An Abundance of Katherines and Paper Towns from Amazon. Worth it though, he's a damned good author. (Although the story he wrote for that Let it Snow book was a bit meh.)

Apparently Easons in Dun Laoghaire have Paper Towns

I think I might just order them off Amazon, I need some light stuff to read this year! I mistakenly started The Grapes Of Wrath by John Steinbeck, I'll stick with it as I have nothing else to read but I doubt it will be pleasant.

I mistakenly started The Grapes Of Wrath by John Steinbeck, I'll stick with it as I have nothing else to read but I doubt it will be pleasant.

Yeh its a harsh tale alright...should keep you going for a little while though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Most of Steinbeck's books are relatively short, aren't they? I remember Of Mice and Men being quite a thin book anyway.

• Advertisement

An Fhile wrote: »
    Most of Steinbeck's books are relatively short, aren't they? I remember Of Mice and Men being quite a thin book anyway.

Yeh Of Mice and Men was my studied novel for the Junior Cert and in was very short, so is The Pearl...

The Grapes of Wrath is like 10 of Steinbecks books, lengthwise

An Fhile wrote: »

As EmoMatt stated its a little longer, 576 pages so it's 470 pages longer than my copy of Of Mice and Men :)

As EmoMatt stated its a little longer, 576 pages so it's 470 pages longer than my copy of Of Mice and Men :)

Yes but dont let that put you off!!

Both are very good tales of the Depression Era, and the film version of Of Mice and Men (John Malkovich and Gary Sinise) is brilliant:)

Yes but dont let that put you off!!

Both are very good tales of the Depression Era, and the film version of Of Mice and Men (John Malkovich and Gary Sinise) is brilliant:)

I'm sure I'll manage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Barack Obama - Dreams from my Father.

Pretty good read so far, very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

An Anthology of Western Philosophy, edited by John Cottingham.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Finshed the 10th canto of The Inferno last night.

I'm reading The Audacity Of Hope which is kinda mnehish, but I wanted some light enough reading, which is what I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PhilTorres

Mostly reading sport autobiogrphies at the mo jus finished Anthony Foelys and jus started Jamie Carraghers

• Advertisement

I'm reading The Audacity Of Hope which is kinda mnehish, but I wanted some light enough reading, which is what I got.

I have that lined up, I'm deffo going to be in need of something light in a week or so!

Advertisement