Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

• 21-12-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Kinda curious as to what my demographic actually reads (if anything)

I'm reading:

All Families Are Psychotic-Douglas Coupland.

and I have the following lined up:

At Swim Two Birds-Flann O'Brien.
    Survivor-Chuck Palahnuik.

and I have to scan through the "Bhagavad Gita" (Hare Krishna sacred text) for my religion project, which I really need to get done over Xmas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Fad wrote: »
    Kinda curious as to what my demographic actually reads (if anything)

I'm reading:

All Families Are Psychotic-Douglas Coupland.

and I have the following lined up:

At Swim Two Birds-Flann O'Brien.
    Survivor-Chuck Palahnuik.

and I have to scan through the "Bhagavad Gita" (Hare Krishna sacred text) for my religion project, which I really need to get done over Xmas
    i am reading your post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Just finished reading the last Harry Potter book, now I have nothing to read :( Normally I borrow my sisters books but lately she has nothing but sci-fi and fantasy* ****e in her room!

*****e fantasy, not cool like Harry Potter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'm halfway through both Regeneration by Pat Barker and The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I have recently finished Alex James' autobiography which I thoroughly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »
    Just finished reading the last Harry Potter book

As ashamed as I should be for reading them, I love those books :) Especially the last few. Read the last one less 24 hours after I got it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm re-reading "The Sea" by John Banville. One of my favourite books ever.
    I tend to like the kind of books that old people read :P
    Although I still read Harry Potter-esque things.

Reading books is a little time consuming tbh, I need that time to dedicate to the internt :P. I spend an absolute plethora on magazines to the effect of NME and Q.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Have the new Adrian Mole to read soon! Ah, childhood reading memories....

Have the new Adrian Mole to read soon! Ah, childhood reading memories....

Need to find that! Another series of Books that I love!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

richard adams-watership down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

richard adams-watership down

after that, wuthering heights

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Fad wrote: »
    As ashamed as I should be for reading them, I love those books :)

Why should you be ashamed? It's a great series!

• Advertisement

Piste wrote: »
    Why should you be ashamed? It's a great series!

Not so much ashamed but that I started reading them when I was nine, and while I enjoy the books, and theyre really well written, theres this weird feeling I just cant shake off while reading them:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The First World War.

Sometimes I read it, at least. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

bythewoods wrote: »
    Although I still read Harry Potter-esque things.

Would you be referring to fantasy novels? xD

Anyway I'm currently reading Tetrarch by Ian Irvine - second book in the set "The Well of Echoes", first book's called Geomancer. Really amazing books, unique and well thought out. Found afew similarities though between characters and Greek mythology but definitely recommended.

Got Brisingr under the Christmas tree, though it's been months since I read Eldest, so I'll probably have to re-read it before hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

The Lovely Bones - Alice Seobold.

Whopper Book.

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Sadly when my eyes begin to seriously hurt from reading, its time to go asleep :p

I take it you queued up too

Nerds 4 Life

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Does boards count? :pac:

I've queued for considerably longer lengths of time for something I cant mention here for fear of banning and shunning :p I'm sure you can guess (Dont post it though)

I went to a repeat event in Belfast, in november of that year (That makes things even easier) however I shall decline to name it, but rest assured it was not a forbidden ever

• Advertisement

Not mindlessly complicated, just rules of Boards prevent me from mentioning it....

Anyway best stay on topic, any Douglas Coupland fans here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Inkivaari

The complete takes and poems of edgar allan poe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

A short history of nearly everything-Bill Bryson.
    Its heavy going at times but absolutely fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Rereading that ****e for the LC

Curious incident of the dog in the night-time

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Everyone's mentioning such arsey books. ^^

I'm reading some David Eddings books. Absolutely great crap.

My silly book atm is Tom Holland's new-ish one Millenium. Decent take on the period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

im reading "Ex-Girlfriends United" by Matt Dunn

its fun:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

"The Wolf of Wall Street" by Jordan Belfort

Absolutely hilarious, entertaing true story of the man who made millions on Wall Street, and blew it on drink, drugs, prostitutes, helicopters and mansions. Then got prosecuted by the IRS. The opening paragraph of one of the chapters is magnificent:

It was less than five minutes later, and I was sitting in my office behind a desk fit for a dictator, in a chair as big as a throne. I cocked my head to the side, and said to the room's two other occupants, "Now let me get this straight: You guys want to bring a midget in here, and toss his little ass around the boardroom?"
    They nodded in unison.

A few paragraphs later....

Danny shrugged his shoulders. "Its not as crazy as it sounds. I mean, its not like we're gonna toss the little bastard in any odd direction. The way I see it, we'd line up wrestling mats at the front of boardroom and give the top five brokers on the Madden deal five throws each. We paint a bullseye at the end of one of the mats, and put down some velcro so the little bastard sticks. Then we pick a few of the hot sales assistants to hold up signs - like they're judges at a diving competition. They can score on throwing style, distance, degree of difficulty - all that sort of sh!t."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It's people like that who've helped me get through my degree. Keep the faith!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Tarry Flynn by Kavanagh.

I also plan to finish Dantes Inferno shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

for abotu a year now, on and off, i've been reading Lady Gregory's collection of Irish Mythology. absolutely loving it, and getting closer to the end, but need to be in a certain frame of mind to read it, it's quite heavy going, i find.

in between that, i've been reading the true blood series, though waiting for the library to get in the 3rd book, rereading some old fantasy books, the age of darkness (or was that chaos) - basically, all the old celtic gods and demons and monsters and the like come back into our world, and you've got your prophecied few who are to combat this whole thing. pretty good trilogy... then the sevenwaters trilogy as well, i love that so much. in the unlikely and unfortunate event of me ever having a daughter, she will be named after the main character in the second book.

Advertisement