Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Username! wrote: »
    Have you got your telephone line tested? Do you get any interference / noise on your line?
    Had that done a while ago and all was fine, so they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm on Avenue Rd/Bay estate, so about 2 miles from exchange.

Sounds to me like you may have a split pair on your line and it's only now that speeds have been pushed up that the copper is being tested and doesn't like it.
    I hear you about the whole 6pm - 1am lag fest though...browsing during the day is a breeze then it's like someone poured treacle on the line in the evening...

Wertz wrote: »
    I'm on Avenue Rd/Bay estate, so about 2 miles from exchange.

Sounds to me like you may have a split pair on your line and it's only now that speeds have been pushed up that the copper is being tested and doesn't like it.
    I hear you about the whole 6pm - 1am lag fest though...browsing during the day is a breeze then it's like someone poured treacle on the line in the evening...
    I'm the far side of town, out by Fatima, so about 4 - 5 mile from exchange.

Interesting thread about high pings over in the gaming forum...might be some tips for you there...one very informative post from a guy who used s/w to visually trace his connection route back to eircom's servers and found where the ping problem was on his line; might be worth a look...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I'm on 3mb in south dublin (rochestown exchange) and my connection has been VERY dodgy over the past week or so. The speeds seem ok, and i'm getting decent enough download speeds but i keep getting knocked off the internet every now and then (about 2/3 times every hour) for about 2 - 5mins. The weird thing is i can still download torrents and chat on msn but i can't access any web pages (not a browser thing cos i tried in firefox and IE). I'm assuming it's just some problems they'll fix but its very very annoying. Anyone else having problems like this recently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jishot

Wertz wrote: »
    Interesting thread about high pings over in the gaming forum...might be some tips for you there...one very informative post from a guy who used s/w to visually trace his connection route back to eircom's servers and found where the ping problem was on his line; might be worth a look...

Do you happen to know which gaming section this can be found in, I am having the same issues as everyone else here and have spent an hour or 2 over the past 2 days trying to get it sorted, but alas the impression the tech support guys give me is this is the first they have heard about it, to which I promptly directed them to here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just did a network trace and you can see where the problem lies, as soon as it comes into Ireland.
    Netwroktrace.jpg?t=1227046233

You should be able to check yours here... NETWORK TRACE

tracems.jpg

Speeds back to normal now:

358342615.png

3MB BT
    trace2.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Speeds back to normal now:

358342615.png

3MB BT
    Also 3MB BT.

Pings seems a little high.

358347090.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Looks like the BT bottleneck is in Dublin Hellboy?

Dublin
    358510617.png

Limerick
    358511112.png

Galway
    358511644.png

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

Elessar wrote: »
    I've also been throttled, a second time, for passing these invisible download caps on my "unlimited" package. First time was when I was over 110GB, this time when I was over 50GB. They won't even inform me when I'm reaching this magical limit. This was the last straw for me and I'm cancelling and moving to some other provider.

try a better one, when I was throttle my usage was 34gb, they said the LIMIT is 30GB even though it suppose to be UNLIMITED package.

download speed at 12k to 20k I been throttle. didn't download for a week, notice it went back to normal speed, so downloaded about 2GB and guess what, yep throttle again. its a joke. hopefully digiweb calls me to install the metro soon, suppose to be 10 days

jishot wrote: »
    Do you happen to know which gaming section this can be found in, I am having the same issues as everyone else here and have spent an hour or 2 over the past 2 days trying to get it sorted, but alas the impression the tech support guys give me is this is the first they have heard about it, to which I promptly directed them to here!

Main gaming forum...might be of help to some.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352811

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

So I take it BT is flying for everyone at the moment? Either that or everything has just stopped completely...

I had to give up yesterday trying to download a 2Mb mail attachment. It kept timing out. I checked my speed. It was 64kb/s, Dialup WAS faster. I'm on the 7.6 somethings package. I have noticed that same last Sunday. Tech support are closed on a Sunday. Ireland Offline might need to reignite things.

BTW got a consistent 6.4Mb/s rate the other morning at around 11 am so my line is well able for it. In fact a chap from BT told me last week that my line was capable of 12Mb.

The irony is that Trim is surrounded with Fibre as part of the last MAN initiative but it is not connected to anything. Only in Ireland eh?

Hmm. All very frustrating. Did I say very. Headwrecking more like.....

Isn't there anything we can do? Anything.

Valentia wrote: »
    So I take it BT is flying for everyone at the moment? Either that or everything has just stopped completely...
    My 3MB has been working fine now for nearly a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

hellboy99 wrote: »
    My 3MB has been working fine now for nearly a week.

Do you play games?

Its the high pings still breaking my heart.

Been de-synching like mad all weekend. Was sitting watching TV last night, the router is in the living room...when it looses DSL synch the LED flashes orange...I saw it flash at least 15 times in about 3 hours last night. This is down to the quality of my copper line...BT were told this the last time they foisted higher speeds on me and I had to have a downgrade. After the last upgrade, I was again moved to 3mbit...they now want an admin fee to put it back to 2mbit. I'm waiting till the end of my billing period and going back to eircom...enough of this sh*t, lower prices were the only thing BT ever had going for them, now eircom are finally starting to compete on price. Plus at least I can try and have my line physically fixed by eircom so that it might meet the requirements for 3mbit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ajoe

Elessar wrote: »
    I've also been throttled, a second time, for passing these invisible download caps on my "unlimited" package. First time was when I was over 110GB, this time when I was over 50GB. They won't even inform me when I'm reaching this magical limit. This was the last straw for me and I'm cancelling and moving to some other provider.
    I've been throttled a couple of times now too. Completely frustrated with the service, and lack of communication. I've been a Esat/IOL/BTIreland customer for 4years or so. Never had as many problems as I've had in the last 4 months. No warning about throttling, completely piss-poor customer service & terrible tech support. Their email support system & phone support system cannot easily cross-reference jobs. Everything is a chore, and it takes forever to get resolution on any problem. And don't expect a happy ending when you receive resolution.

The Fair Usage Policy is a complete joke for Option3 customers:
    There is no monthly usage allowance for Option 3 customers and you can enjoy unlimited usage for no extra charge subject to the Fair Usage Policy.
    No limit for Option3, subject to Fair Usage Policy. And there is no further reference to Option3 within the Fair Usage Policy.

The Fair Usage Policy has been updated:
    Your allowance (or unlimited usage) is not calculated per month, it's calculated on a rolling 30-day scheme.
    Your allowance (or unlimited usage) is an accumulation of all data sent through your line (download AND upload). Back in the day, if you had a 30GB limit, it was 30GB DownStream + 30GB UpStream. Now it's 30GB DownStream + UpStream combined.

Their Contract has also been updated:
    From 1st December 2008, a 12 month contract applies to Broadband on its own. This applies to any new customer signing up or any existing customer re-signing once their current contract has expired.
    So be warned, if your original 12month contract has expired - you can change ISP for FREE, until they lock you into a new 12 month contract. If you are thinking of changing, do it NOW!

Personally, I've had enough & I'm transferring over to Imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gavinsblog

Ok I'm in Midleton Co Cork and I've been having intermittent problems with connectivity on BT (3Mb) for the past couple of weeks. Same problems as everyone has been describing. I've been a BT customer since 2003 and this is the first problem I've had.

However at about 1.30am this morning BT completely fell over. I have lost all connectivity and have now been reduced to using wifi from a neighbour (eircom). Not alone that, but their broadband is massively reduced in speed too.

What in god's name is going on?

KoKane wrote: »
    Do you play games?

Its the high pings still breaking my heart.
    Yes and going ok for me, pings for me range from 40 - 73ms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement