Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Normans sale

Options
  • 04-07-2008 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭

Just seen an add saying Harvey Normans are doing a sale on HD Tv's over the next few days that ends Sunday.

Anyone been in ? Any good deals ?

Opr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I was just going to open a post on this topic.

Our TV went to CRT heaven in the sky last night, so there'll be a new one bought this weekend.

Anyone been in to Harveys yet? Apparently they are having the sale on Full HD TVs.
    Can anyone post please if they see one thats 32' or larger, Full HD and less than a grand (and someway decent). I won't get in there until tomorrow afternoon, so they'll prob be all gone by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I wouldnt be too worried about that too much to be honest.Did you ever notice that harvey normans seem to be having a sale every weekend these times.I was the Kinsale road store in Cork yesterdayh morning and i couldnt see anything amazing TBH..I saw a 32" Full HD samsung for 950, in sale prices which really isnt that great at all because i saw the same tv for 50e less in Currys a few weeks ago.
    I heards the ads as well for a " 42" full HD LCD for799e " but this was no where to be seen in the store i was in.Excuse the pun but it certainly wasnt "Hardly Normal" by the looks of things

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Aye I hear you. Noticed the same thing at the post Chrimbo sales inside there.
    They had a mega offer on some TV at the time, but there was no sign of it there when I arrived.
    I overheard different groups of people say how it was sold out at 5 past 9 that morning. When I asked the sales person there about the deal, he gave me the same story. They were giving the same spiel to everyone.
    "Ohhhh that was a quick seller, but you might as well pay your spinal cord for an inferior TV while we have you in here"

There's a soundstore (not much better I know) and a few more B'n'M stores around the place anyway. Might just bide my time until I see the best deal.
    Although the prospect of watching a 14 inch TV for the next week or so is not that appealing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I second that. I live near the one in Swords. It's more unusual for Harvey Norman (like many other retailers) not to have a sale than to have one.

It's a bit crap because you never know when stuff is actually reduced.

I bought a 37" one recently. The best offer at the time I got was with Power City. I'd recommend you print off a few models from their website (and DIDs) and bring those printouts with you when you're wandering around shops to see which one gets you the best dea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Currys has a flyer in the papers this week for a Sale. Maybe worth a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i went to the one in nutgrove last weekend as the had the 6am to 6pm sale 50% sale on. very disappointing. i wasn't looking for a TV, but they looked like the only things on sale TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Lads take a look on richersounds.com, they have a new commercial interaction on boards.ie best value I've been able to find (have been looking for a while) and half price delivery for Boardsies! Theres a decent thread in here about them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

i might go to power city

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Is this good value ? ^^^^^

Was in Harvey's today for a look around. Didn't seem to be any bargains. Most of the TV's said like a 100/200 euro off but i could get them cheaper on the web.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dando

best value i saw was in power city, 32'' flat screen 399 euro.

Dando wrote: »
    best value i saw was in power city, 32'' flat screen 399 euro.

Yeah, but what make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I just heard from someone in the industry that Harvy Norman will be pulling out of Ireland in the new year after all the sales are over... dont know how true it is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

2qk4u wrote: »
    I just heard from someone in the industry that Harvy Norman will be pulling out of Ireland in the new year after all the sales are over... dont know how true it is.....

Wouldn't be suprising seeing as they said at their AGM last week, something along the lines of they were sorry they ever came to Ireland!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

They were all over the news last week ,I wouldn't buy anything from a company who is threatening to leave the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Indeed, They are seriously considering leaving the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Closing down sales FTW

Opr

It's not logical to buy from a closing down company ,when you can buy cheaper online with the same aftersale service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Maybe they should have helped themselves, a functioning website and a few decent prices wouldn't have gone amiss - why did they think they could come in here and sell for prices which were even higher than the other multiples? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

311 wrote: »
    They were all over the news last week ,I wouldn't buy anything from a company who is threatening to leave the country.

Which they will do if people don't give them their business. And they'll take the jobs with them. At Christmas.

They're cheap, the fact that they want to pull out is a GOOD thing for consumers short term once the price is right.

• Advertisement

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Which they will do if people don't give them their business. And they'll take the jobs with them. At Christmas.

They're cheap, the fact that they want to pull out is a GOOD thing for consumers short term once the price is right.

They spend a huge amount on advertising ,it's ridiculous for a company to spend so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They're cheap

They are in me hole, they always have sales of old stock and never anything quality is cheap, always can get stuff at same or better prices elsewhere, even smaller retailers, never mind online

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

TheDriver wrote: »
    They are in me hole, they always have sales of old stock and never anything quality is cheap, always can get stuff at same or better prices elsewhere, even smaller retailers, never mind online

Absolutely. Never saw one decent price for a tv in there. I'd feel much better buying from someone like soundstore, Power city or DID.

"Go Harvey Go", soon it'll be "Gone Harvey Gone"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

They're not cheap (near me anyway, Airside in Swords). Frequently 50m away DID will be cheaper and Power City (about a 10 min drive) are usually a lot cheaper. They might be cheaper than Currys but that's not saying much.

I was in Airside last Thursday evening. It was like a ghost town. All of the retailers have having a bad time.

For someone like Harvey Normans that came in a few years ago and had great years until now could they not have put a bit aside to weather a storm? I don't understand the logic. If you can't survive 1 year of crap sales after 5 or 6 years of great sales you're doing something wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Certainly not cheap - Thats the problem, they thought thy were going to come into Ireland and knock spots off the competition, but they were invariably more expensive and embarrassing when compared to web prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I don't think they ever wanted to go for the cheap market, did they? I was talking to an Aussie friend when HN first came to Ireland. He said the only reason people shopped there was if they were feeling patriotic, their prices weren't great at all :)

They have a few good prices/deals in the gaming section every so often. That's my only reason to visit them.

WARNING

Anyone buying from HN should be wary of the extended warranty that will be offered.
    If they go then the extended warranty goes too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

They're not cheap (near me anyway, Airside in Swords). Frequently 50m away DID will be cheaper and Power City (about a 10 min drive) are usually a lot cheaper. They might be cheaper than Currys but that's not saying much.

I was in Airside last Thursday evening. It was like a ghost town. All of the retailers have having a bad time.

For someone like Harvey Normans that came in a few years ago and had great years until now could they not have put a bit aside to weather a storm? I don't understand the logic. If you can't survive 1 year of crap sales after 5 or 6 years of great sales you're doing something wrong.

iAGREE 100% BUT LETS BE HONEST THE SAME CAN BE APPLIED TO ALL COMPANIES, sorry for the caps typing with one hand - broke my arm last week so not out of pain zone....
    The pricing decisions of most companies operating in Ireland are at best questionable, but one thing is for sure a number of retailers will be hitting the wall over the Christmas period, was told Sasha went into Examinership last week too......won't be the last, Harvey Norman can't continue to operate at their current losses - at the same time it's hard to see how a shop that operates like it does could be loosing millions......

with B&Q loosing a fair bit and their sales dropping I would be worried for Woodies and Atlantic.......Reid can't be making money either - I too live in Swords and Airside may well get quieter and quieter....it's not like cards are shifting off the forecourts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I thought I'd read that the CEO or whatever of HN said that although the Irish market had gone really badly for them, they'd spent so much on setting up all those stores that they couldn't really afford to pull out. Which makes sense in a way.

To me, their prices were never great & they'll go the same way as Woolworths in the UK. They tried to be a one-stop shop & weren't particularly good at anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

HN are way too dear.
    All furniture stores in ROI will suffer when IKEA opens up down here.
    Yes it may not be the same quality but at their prices, people will go to IKEA especially if we are still in a recession.

Electrical stores will also suffer as more & more people shop either up North (especially if the eschange rate stays where it is) & online and there's nothing the government will be able to do about it.

Advertisement