Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sansung 40" LCD €695

Options
  • 04-07-2008 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Currys are selling a Samsung 40" LCD tv for £549 which is €695
    Don't know what the price is here but worth a trip over the border IMO

LINK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Conversion

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bah, my parents just paid €600 for a 32" the other day. :( A 40" for €100 or so more would have been nice.

Are you sure their in-store price would be the same as their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thats almost certainly the most it would cost over the border.Remember that tv is only hd ready as opposed to full hd which is pretty much the norm at that size at this stage.Still a nice buy at under 700e, though:)

Bah, my parents just paid €600 for a 32" the other day. :( A 40" for €100 or so more would have been nice.

Are you sure their in-store price would be the same as their website?

yeah, saw the ad on uk tv channel too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Thats almost certainly the most it would cost over the border.Remember that tv is only hd ready as opposed to full hd which is pretty much the norm at that size at this stage.Still a nice buy at under 700e, though:)

There is no such thing as full HD it means nothing the standards are

HD ready and HD ready 1080p

A tv that is advertised as full HD and does not have the HD ready 1080p logo is in all likely hood inferior to a a tv that has the HD ready logo

In order to attain the HD ready or HD ready 1080p the TV has to achieve set standards in standard definition as well as high definition while a TV that is advertised as Full HD may be capable of 1080p it may not meet the standards for standard defintion which most broadcast television is still in and as such is an inferior TV unless you intend using the TV solely for 1080p material

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

cdebru wrote: »

A tv that is advertised as full HD and does not have the HD ready 1080p logo is in all likely hood inferior to a a tv that has the HD ready logo

In order to attain the HD ready or HD ready 1080p the TV has to achieve set standards in standard definition as well as high definition while a TV that is advertised as Full HD may be capable of 1080p it may not meet the standards for standard defintion which most broadcast television is still in and as such is an inferior TV unless you intend using the TV solely for 1080p material

I have found this post very informative! So really you should be looking for either the HD ready or HD ready 1080p logo with 1080p obviously being preferable ?

Tusky wrote: »
    I have found this post very informative! So really you should be looking for either the HD ready or HD ready 1080p logo with 1080p obviously being preferable ?
    Yep!

In all fairness, if you went into any electrical shop and asked about a full HD 'set, i think it would be implied that it would be HD ready 1080p you would be looking for.Anyway, companies like samsung call their tvs Full HD, and they are obviously HD ready 1080p.All renowned manafacturers tvs that display 1080p natively are definately HD ready 1080p.What youre talking about only applys to crappy budget tvs.You have no worries iff you are buying a quality brand you have actually heard about before.

In all fairness, if you went into any electrical shop and asked about a full HD 'set, i think it would be implied that it would be HD ready 1080p you would be looking for.Anyway, companies like samsung call their tvs Full HD, and they are obviously HD ready 1080p.All renowned manafacturers tvs that display 1080p natively are definately HD ready 1080p.What youre talking about only applys to crappy budget tvs.You have no worries iff you are buying a quality brand you have actually heard about before.

Implied my arse most people have no idea what Full HD or HD ready or HD ready 1080p means in fact alot of people seem to be of the opinion that HD ready 1080p is inferior to full HD as the word Full sounds better than ready.

Given that full HD has no legal standing as a standard a saleperson could easily point a unknowing consumer at 2 different tvs and describe them both as full HD even though one may not be HD ready 1080p but capable of 1080p display the consumer could easily think they were looking at 2 comparable TVs

And not all renowned manufacturers are HD ready 1080p

The truth is that Full HD has become a buzz word and that a lot of tvs that are HD ready 1080p are advertised as full HD as that is what people think is better it is also true that alot of TVs that are sold as Full HD are not HD ready 1080p and the difference is really displayed when people get them home and connect a standard definition source such as NTL or a DVD player.

If you are going to spend €1000 + on a new TV make sure it has the proper HD ready logo that is the only way to be sure that it meets the standards if it does not have the logo it does not meet the standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭philbee

pcworld and currys are the same company (im told dixsons are the same too), if your ever looking for a tv and currys are sold out you should go straight to pcworld, i did that before and i was lucky currys didnt have the tv i wanted but pcworld did and of course at the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Anyone have any luck tracking down a review of this model? Don't see much about it in the usual spots, avforums etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Went up north over the weekend looking for a new Samsung LCD, some guy comes up to me with the usual "can I help you", said I was looking to get a new LCD. As soon as he heard my southern accent he asked was i from the south to which i replied yes, then he said that their TV's won't work in the south, am I missing something :confused:

And not all renowned manufacturers are HD ready 1080p

So.....there are "renowned" manafacturers(eg, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Philips....) making lcd tvs that have pixel resolution of 1920 x 1080 that are not classed as "HD ready 1080p"???I would love to see an example of that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hd_ready

These are the requirements for a tv to be classed as "HD ready 1080p".They really arent that strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

To be honest, and not to confuse matters further, this whole HD Ready lark has gotten to the point where misinformation has been perpetrated by both consumers and sales people alike; sometimes though not even through intent.

The fact that there have been logos associated to HDTVs that have been misleading to consumers hasn't helped the adoption of the actual approved EICTA logos that are now present. I for one disregard any logo and look to the technical specifications for my assurances when perusing HDTVs. As this is not the ideal situation, nor one that is easily suited to all, I would recommend to anyone, who is not aware of all the pitfalls and dangers that are present when shopping for a new HDTV, to at least read up on the basics of what they are looking for online so that they can disseminate the information in their own time and not have it rammed down their throat by a sales person looking to make their next lot of commission.

In addition, those who are interested in the approved logos can look on the EICTA (European Information & Communications Technology Industry Association) website where there are currently four logos that provide information on high definition TV and display features.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Went up north over the weekend looking for a new Samsung LCD, some guy comes up to me with the usual "can I help you", said I was looking to get a new LCD. As soon as he heard my southern accent he asked was i from the south to which i replied yes, then he said that their TV's won't work in the south, am I missing something :confused:

Thats utter Bulls**t.I cant think of why that salesperson might push you away but to the best of my knowledge, samsung tvs have the UHF tuners(Will require confirmation) that we partly use for standard tv down here in the Republic.Even if they dont have UHF tuners, the tvs would still work perfectly with sky, games consoles and anything else so if you didnt use an aerial for your television, the tv would work exactly the same as if you bought one down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭mobby

Rsaeire wrote: »
    To be honest, and not to confuse matters further, this whole HD Ready lark has gotten to the point where misinformation has been perpetrated by both consumers and sales people alike; sometimes though not even through intent.

The fact that there have been logos associated to HDTVs that have been misleading to consumers hasn't helped the adoption of the actual approved EICTA logos that are now present. I for one disregard any logo and look to the technical specifications for my assurances when perusing HDTVs. As this is not the ideal situation, nor one that is easily suited to all, I would recommend to anyone, who is not aware of all the pitfalls and dangers that are present when shopping for a new HDTV, to at least read up on the basics of what they are looking for online so that they can disseminate the information in their own time and not have it rammed down their throat by a sales person looking to make their next lot of commission.

In addition, those who are interested in the approved logos can look on the EICTA (European Information & Communications Technology Industry Association) website where there are currently four logos that provide information on high definition TV and display features.

So can any one tell me if this is a FULL HD TV http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333306 as i dont see the logo mentioned on the EICTA website very confused :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

mobby wrote: »
    So can any one tell me if this is a FULL HD TV http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333306 as i dont see the logo mentioned on the EICTA website very confused :confused::confused:
    Resolution is 1920 x 1080p so it is FullHD.

mobby wrote: »

Absolutely, it says so here:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/detail/features.do?group=television&type=television&subtype=tftlcd&model_cd=LE40M87BDX/XEU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thats utter Bulls**t.I cant think of why that salesperson might push you away but to the best of my knowledge, samsung tvs have the UHF tuners(Will require confirmation) that we partly use for standard tv down here in the Republic.Even if they dont have UHF tuners, the tvs would still work perfectly with sky, games consoles and anything else so if you didnt use an aerial for your television, the tv would work exactly the same as if you bought one down here.

I've been looking at a 46in Samsung on the Richersounds UK website but was woried that it wouldn't work over here. So I sent an email to John Mc, Richersounds MD in Ireland and he confirmed that the Samsung models will work perfectly in this country as they have both tuners, i.e. UHF & VHF. I've ordered the tv by the way as it works out at €1,350 approx as opposed to €2,000 in Power City and DID - wifes going to kill me :eek:

• Advertisement

I've been looking at a 46in Samsung on the Richersounds UK website but was woried that it wouldn't work over here. So I sent an email to John Mc, Richersounds MD in Ireland and he confirmed that the Samsung models will work perfectly in this country as they have both tuners, i.e. UHF & VHF. I've ordered the tv by the way as it works out at €1,350 approx as opposed to €2,000 in Power City and DID - wifes going to kill me :eek:

Thats great.All samsung tvs must have the UHF tuners so.I cant think of why a salesperson in the north would push away a southerner, unless it was in a store like dixons who have outlets down here.They know well a southerner ends up paying much less up there.Why should we be ripped off FFS??
    Great to hear about the tv, 700e is a nice saving.Did you get the series 5 or 6??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thats great.All samsung tvs must have the UHF tuners so.I cant think of why a salesperson in the north would push away a southerner, unless it was in a store like dixons who have outlets down here.They know well a southerner ends up paying much less up there.Why should we be ripped off FFS??
    Great to hear about the tv, 700e is a nice saving.Did you get the series 5 or 6??
    Curry's have stores on this side of the border as well.

Which is why they might want southerners to be ripped off down here.Profit margins here would be far greater down here despite the extra logistic costs.If theres one area we are being ripped off despite the good exchange rate, its consumer electronics.The only time i would buy down here is limited offers in the after xmas sales, which is the only time you will pay the same as across the water.

Possibly but this isn't some higher up, it's a sales guy. I doubt he gives a crap whether the company will earn an extra few quid by buying down south. Also even if it was one of the higher ups, while I'm sure they'd prefer if you'd bought it where the margin is higher, there is a greater risk of you not buying it at all or going somewhere else if you leave. I think the guy was trying to do him a favour but just didn't know any better.

So.....there are "renowned" manafacturers(eg, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Philips....) making lcd tvs that have pixel resolution of 1920 x 1080 that are not classed as "HD ready 1080p"???I would love to see an example of that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hd_ready

These are the requirements for a tv to be classed as "HD ready 1080p".They really arent that strict.

Actually of the list you mention both Toshiba and Philips are not on the latest list of brands that are licensed to use the official HD ready 1080p a visit to the respective websites will show toshiba advertising TVs as "Full HD Ready 1920x1080p" this is not the official standard although it sounds like it.

Philips meanwhile are advertising TVs with a logo that looks like the official logo but says "Full HD 1080p".

And you are correct the requirements are not that strict which begs the question why "renowned" brands are deliberately trying to sound like they attain the standard without actually attaining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

hellboy99 wrote: »
    It was the case years ago that the old UK tv's didn't work over here. I moved over in '96 and had to buy a UHF/VHF converter to get my old 14" working with analogue NTL, but I bought my current tv from the UK and have no problems at all. I have Sky digital, but could also pick up all the NTL channels (had to have them them for broadband until ntl sold just broadband on its own).

Actually of the list you mention both Toshiba and Philips are not on the latest list of brands that are licensed to use the official HD ready 1080p a visit to the respective websites will show toshiba advertising TVs as "Full HD Ready 1920x1080p" this is not the official standard although it sounds like it.

Philips meanwhile are advertising TVs with a logo that looks like the official logo but says "Full HD 1080p".

And you are correct the requirements are not that strict which begs the question why "renowned" brands are deliberately trying to sound like they attain the standard without actually attaining it.

Youre right, they aint on the list, even Mirai are on it FFS.I'm shocked but i cant see why tvs from these brands dont reach these requirements.The top of the line toshibas are some of the best tvs available.I'll need to look further into that before i buy my new 1080p tv.I was looking at samsung and sony models anyway so its ok.I'll see what they have to say about it on avforums....

Youre right, they aint on the list, even Mirai are on it FFS.I'm shocked but i cant see why tvs from these brands dont reach these requirements.The top of the line toshibas are some of the best tvs available.I'll need to look further into that before i buy my new 1080p tv.I was looking at samsung and sony models anyway so its ok.I'll see what they have to say about it on avforums....

I wouldn't be too worried about a certification from the EICTA. If the TV has all the specifications that you are after and has received good reviews from either Boards.ie members or from members on other forums, then go and buy the TV you're looking for.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried about a certification from the EICTA. If the TV has all the specifications that you are after and has received good reviews from either Boards.ie members or from members on other forums, then go and buy the TV you're looking for.

I think it is reasonable to question why Toshiba and Philips who are both members of the EICTA do not have the EICTA official logo to state that they meet specified standards set by the organisation.

Further more the use of phrases and logos that are similar to the official logo seem specifically designed to suggest that they meet those standards and to mislead consumers.

The problem as I understand it is that the HD ready 1080p standard one of the conditions is

Accepted video formats are reproduced without distortion

And that this is where they fall down in the reproduction of standard definition signals

Given that most people are still using standard definition for their TV viewing how the TV deals with SD signals is important. While the TV may get great reviews for its picture quality when connected to a PS3 or when playing back a bluray movie most people will not use the TV just for that.

At the end of the day people should inform themselves and make common sense decisions and look past buzzwords like Full HD which mean nothing

• Advertisement

I think it is reasonable to question why Toshiba and Philips who are both members of the EICTA do not have the EICTA official logo to state that they meet specified standards set by the organisation.

Further more the use of phrases and logos that are similar to the official logo seem specifically designed to suggest that they meet those standards and to mislead consumers.

The problem as I understand it is that the HD ready 1080p standard one of the conditions is

Accepted video formats are reproduced without distortion

And that this is where they fall down in the reproduction of standard definition signals

Given that most people are still using standard definition for their TV viewing how the TV deals with SD signals is important. While the TV may get great reviews for its picture quality when connected to a PS3 or when playing back a bluray movie most people will not use the TV just for that.

At the end of the day people should inform themselves and make common sense decisions and look past buzzwords like Full HD which mean nothing

That is what reviews are for. The reviews online and in magazines do not leave out the SD quality tests such as SDTV and DVD, they in fact include them.

By your statement, a TV that does not have an official EICTA logo would not perform as good as a TV that does. The new range of plasma TVs from Panasonic, and also last year’s range, have the "FULL HD 1080p" logo, which as we know is not EICTA approved, but from reviews give great SDTV quality.

Not that this matters to be honest as the logos themselves are relevant to HD processing and decoding, not the processing and decoding of SD content.

As I said before, logos and certification are all well and good but the technical specifications and the results from reviews are what matter in the end.

Advertisement