Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Normans sale

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

But unlike Dixons/Currys/PC world, The Harvey Normans sales staff have the power to bargain with you. If you say you can buy such and such online for such and such price, they probably wont be able to match it, but will discount it.

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

WARNING

Anyone buying from HN should be wary of the extended warranty that will be offered.
    If they go then the extended warranty goes too
    Normally extended warranties are just insurance policies which have nothing to do with HN or any other retailer that sells them. In the event of a claim you claim from the insurance company which is normally a UK based company.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

2qk4u wrote: »
    I just heard from someone in the industry that Harvy Norman will be pulling out of Ireland in the new year after all the sales are over... dont know how true it is.....

and good luck to them....there stock is well over-priced especially in todays market. was in there yesterday and saw reductions like "60 euros off"

well you know what he can do with that...f**k himself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

These days you should bargain with everybody.
    At worst you will get the item for the same price, at best you'll get something off or something thrown in.
    A sale to any shop is better then no sale at all even if they have to reduce their price.
    A HDMI Cable thrown in with a TV costs the shop very little and at least they have made the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They're not cheap (near me anyway, Airside in Swords). Frequently 50m away DID will be cheaper and Power City (about a 10 min drive) are usually a lot cheaper. They might be cheaper than Currys but that's not saying much.

I was in Airside last Thursday evening. It was like a ghost town. All of the retailers have having a bad time.

Tbh I've found the opposite. I get a lot of computer peripherals there and have bought a desktop and laptop from them, all the time cheaper, sometimes considerably so, than PC world, also just 50m away. Power City is always going to be a little cheaper but there's feck all customer service and the location/premises is pure crap, just a mildly decorated warehouse.

As for DID I've only ever compared a few prices, and they've all been equal to or cheaper in HN. Can't fault Harvey's customer service either. The one time I tried to haggle in DID I left wondering why I bothered, whereas in Harvey's I've got considerable discounts by engaging in a bit of bargaining.
    For someone like Harvey Normans that came in a few years ago and had great years until now could they not have put a bit aside to weather a storm? I don't understand the logic. If you can't survive 1 year of crap sales after 5 or 6 years of great sales you're doing something wrong.

You have a point there all right, their business tactics are strange to say the least from what I can see. Their furniture side of things, which I've never used, always seems an awful lot emptier than the technology end...then again it's a much larger area.

As for profits, personally I can't understand how they're in the red. PC World and DID (a waste of space IMO, they have a wide range of different products in a small store meaning selection, with the exception of TVs, is thin on the ground) always seem emptier in comparison.

Maybe they've been haggling too much with customers :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

was in HN a couple of weeks ago in Castlebar - not impresses, it's very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

WARNING

Anyone buying from HN should be wary of the extended warranty that will be offered.
    If they go then the extended warranty goes too

Extended Warranty is a registered company based in waterford, they work with harvey norman and alot of other retailers so get yer facts right.

Also if you look at the markets and read full reports not just the parts you want to read you will discover that harvey norman as a group have made over 150 million profit in the 1st quarter of trading, compare that to groups like expert, DID, and the group with pcworld and argos who are all in the red with no back ups eg Australia with a booming economy.

In the report released by gerry harvey he said he regrets coming to ireland but he invested too much to pull out. in fairness to him by the summer when the ikes of D.I.D, Currys, PC World, Land of Leather and Argos are all gone hell have a majority of the market and wont need to go home.

Ill also throw in that the other companies have borrowed in excess of 85% of their companys equity, wereas harvey norman ownes around 90%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    with no back ups eg Australia with a booming economy.

No idea about the rest of your post but are you sure Aus is booming?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/business/worldbusiness/03ausplan.html?ref=business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Extended Warranty is a registered company based in waterford, they work with harvey norman and alot of other retailers so get yer facts right.

Well, If I ever need a snappy answer a month and a bit after being given incorrect info, I know who to go to.

Just my opinion, but unless you're Harvey or Norman, there aint no need to take misinformation so personally.

Also if you look at the markets and read full reports not just the parts you want to read you will discover that harvey norman as a group have made over 150 million profit in the 1st quarter of trading, compare that to groups like expert, DID, and the group with pcworld and argos who are all in the red with no back ups eg Australia with a booming economy.

In the report released by gerry harvey he said he regrets coming to ireland but he invested too much to pull out. in fairness to him by the summer when the ikes of D.I.D, Currys, PC World, Land of Leather and Argos are all gone hell have a majority of the market and wont need to go home.

Ill also throw in that the other companies have borrowed in excess of 85% of their companys equity, wereas harvey norman ownes around 90%

All well and good (although I'd question the "Australia - Booming Economy" quote) , but it doesn't really change the fact that the products on sale in HN are generally horribly overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 justomc

Best deal ive seen around is in power city

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14

Model: 47LG5020 : € 999.95
    Producer Recycling Fund: € 8.00
    Price Excluding PRF: € 991.95

ONLINE Price : € 919.95

LG 47" FULL HD 1080P LCD.

1920 X 1080 PICTURE RESOLUTION.

50000:1 CONTRAST RATIO.

XD PICTURE ENGINE .

SRS TRUSURROUND XT WITH CLEAR VOICE.

SWIVEL STAND .

AV MODE (GAME-SPORT-MOVIE) .

3X HDMI DIGITAL CONNECTIONS.

2X SCART & PC INPUT .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Websters

Spotted an ad today for Harvey it was a Philips 42" HD for 500 or something like that. Interest free for 36 months is awesome to! Probably pick one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Well, If I ever need a snappy answer a month and a bit after being given incorrect info, I know who to go to.

Just my opinion, but unless you're Harvey or Norman, there aint no need to take misinformation so personally.

All well and good (although I'd question the "Australia - Booming Economy" quote) , but it doesn't really change the fact that the products on sale in HN are generally horribly overpriced.

dont mean tp jump down yer throat but it annoys me when people give opinions as iff theyre fact. yeah d aus economy is prob not booming but the moneys being spent.

yep the interest free is good alright and i found in rogheda anyway theyre beeting argos, dixons, briscoes (expert), and the local shops. only ones that are marginally cheaper are D.I.D but the monkeys that work there dont have a clue about anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

HN spend so much money on advertising but dont even have a website????
    the company i work for spend nothing on direct marketing but their website is top class
    SO ANY chance of putting one up???
    the NEW catalougue seems to be coming soon for the past year or so!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

dont mean tp jump down yer throat but it annoys me when people give opinions as iff theyre fact. yeah d aus economy is prob not booming but the moneys being spent.

yep the interest free is good alright and i found in rogheda anyway theyre beeting argos, dixons, briscoes (expert), and the local shops. only ones that are marginally cheaper are D.I.D but the monkeys that work there dont have a clue about anything

Apologies if ive missed it but have you told people you work in harvey norman yet? :mad:

Also those "monkeys" in DID have been trading in ireland for over 40 years... they must be doing something right? Apart from being cheaper then Harvey Norman which you admit but to be fair that wouldnt be difficult would it?

Lets see how long harvey lasts, the public are becoming very savvy and if this thread is anything to go by most people know the place is a rip off anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Apologies if ive missed it but have you told people you work in harvey norman yet? :mad:

Good bleedin point. ssmith6287, I'd say you should put a disclaimer at the end of your posts if you're extolling the virtues of HN.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58828227#post58828227

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

HN spend so much money on advertising but dont even have a website????
    the company i work for spend nothing on direct marketing but their website is top class
    SO ANY chance of putting one up???
    the NEW catalougue seems to be coming soon for the past year or so!!

Good point. They are a shower of shysters. They have a website but it's of no use whatsoever with no price information. The HN strategy seems to be to confuse people into thinking that they have low prices and nail the impulse buyers when they come in the store. Any HN add I've ever seen or heard is never specific. You will rarely hear them give the price of a product, just that it's ??% off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I'd say they'll be out of Ireland in the next 6 months tbh. Their financing crowd up north are tightening and tightening on how much they'll lend also:

I am sick to the back teeth of HN from my one and only experience with them. I went in 2 weeks ago and priced up 2x corner units, end unit, table and armchair that was marked as €6k total. I got them down to €4k which was pretty good for what it all was. I had to go in FIVE times, three of which were to re-negotiate the price as they magicly lost the discount order pre-invoice twice. THEN the computer system was down. THEN it takes them 2 hours to get financing request in on the day, and I get turned down for financing for the €3,200 after the €800 deposit. I have no credit card outstandings, no loans, perfect credit score, good salary.

This is a little off-topic but stands to demonstrate just how laughable their business practices are. I could've moved a couple of things around and ponied up with the cash in one but I was so incensed that I wouldnt out of principle. All I got was "I dont know why you didnt get financing, they (underwriters) will barely give us anything for anyone anymore." I asked who "they" were and the guy didnt even know, or couldnt give me a contact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Macer123

Got to say I agree with most comments regarding HN and always felt they were over priced and their sales were confusing, that was until just before Christmas, received notification (email) at work that HN were having a one night sale at staff prices, Cork branch only. I had a TV on order "on-line" from Komplett which was out of stock & I was unlikely to receive before xmas. Went along to HN on night in question, they priced matched Komplett, which was €550 cheaper than their marked price.
    Colleague bought a Hi-fi the same night reduced from €500 to €252.
    So in their defence they are capable of having a genuine sale, its just they don't come around often enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

consultech wrote: »
    I could've moved a couple of things around and ponied up with the cash in one but I was so incensed that I wouldnt out of principle. All I got was "I dont know why you didnt get financing, they (underwriters) will barely give us anything for anyone anymore." I asked who "they" were and the guy didnt even know, or couldnt give me a contact number.

To be fair that has nothing to do with Harvey Norman, they've no control whatsoever about who does or does not get financing, it's HFC that does all that.

Jip wrote: »
    To be fair that has nothing to do with Harvey Norman, they've no control whatsoever about who does or does not get financing, it's HFC that does all that.

That's fair enough, but the salesman didnt have clue what to tell me, or how I could address the problem. If I had've gotten a phone number at least I might have been able to remedy it from my end and make them money. The purpose of my post was to depict their hapless customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

i thought they had done away with HFC and were providing the finance themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

One of the only places I've shopped where people actually have a clue is DID. It's been a while, but two guys in 2 different stores knew their stuff. Every where else like HN, PC World, Currys etc they haven't a balls notion.

Also: That's the first time I've heard of "HFC" - I followed up and it's apparently "Ocean" or "Creation" or "creative" finance or somethin up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Biro wrote: »
    One of the only places I've shopped where people actually have a clue is DID. It's been a while, but two guys in 2 different stores knew their stuff. Every where else like HN, PC World, Currys etc they haven't a balls notion.

i used to work in Dixons, now Curry's Digital

i worked there 4 years and after 1 year i was far and away the most knowledgeable there. the last 2 years people didnt even complete the training provided half the time. i was consistently called over for "difficult" questions and ended up having to explain most things and the person who didnt know much still getting the sale.

In my 4 years there by there training standards i was completed and approved on the merits
    PC Expert
    Camcorder and Visual Expert
    Audio Expert
    Visual Media Expert
    Health and Safety & Fire Officer
    3+ Letters of Commendation Bonus

All that for Minimum Wage, no wonder i left

Macer123 wrote: »
    Got to say I agree with most comments regarding HN and always felt they were over priced and their sales were confusing, that was until just before Christmas, received notification (email) at work that HN were having a one night sale at staff prices, Cork branch only. I had a TV on order "on-line" from Komplett which was out of stock & I was unlikely to receive before xmas. Went along to HN on night in question, they priced matched Komplett, which was €550 cheaper than their marked price.
    Colleague bought a Hi-fi the same night reduced from €500 to €252.
    So in their defence they are capable of having a genuine sale, its just they don't come around often enough.

What I take from that post is that they were charging €550 too much for the TV in the first place. And the hi-fi was double the price it should have been!

i used to work in Dixons, now Curry's Digital

i worked there 4 years and after 1 year i was far and away the most knowledgeable there. the last 2 years people didnt even complete the training provided half the time. i was consistently called over for "difficult" questions and ended up having to explain most things and the person who didnt know much still getting the sale.

In my 4 years there by there training standards i was completed and approved on the merits
    PC Expert
    Camcorder and Visual Expert
    Audio Expert
    Visual Media Expert
    Health and Safety & Fire Officer
    3+ Letters of Commendation Bonus

All that for Minimum Wage, no wonder i left

Ya, you can tell that the people there are minimum wage alright, it's not right. Anyone who seems to get knowledgable doesn't last long cause they go where their skills will actually be used.
    You were probably the most knowledgable employee they ever had, but the reward you got was to help the idiots. I don't like their business model, bugs the crap outta me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

.. in fairness to him by the summer when the ikes of D.I.D, Currys, PC World, .. and Argos are all gone

Really :rolleyes: ?

Make a note in your diary for 01 September 2009 to give us an update on how prescient, or not, this claim has proved to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

I wouldn't buy a wheel barrow of them... HN. Even if they sold them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mark1975

rco2000 wrote: »
    was in HN a couple of weeks ago in Castlebar - not impresses, it's very expensive

• Advertisement
Advertisement