Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrowing to buy BOI Shares????????

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Does the short selling only apply to buying stocks in Ireland, Could someone in the UK or USA still buy the irish bank stocks today and sell them tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

pocketdooz wrote: »
    That's true JOC, . . . but . . . that isn't my point.

My point is that the fact that people think that NOW the Op's idea doesn't look daft because shares were up today is a fallacy. The only thing that changed today about BOI is the short-selling rule.

Their loan-book didn't change , their liquidity issues didn't change, the future outlook for the irish economy didn't change etc .etc .

So, what I'm saying is that just because the shares bounced back a bit today - it doesn't change the fact that borrowing to buy highly volatile stocks with huge downside potential (see: Lehman Brothers, bear Stearns etc.) and (short-term) little upside is a daft idea.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

basically, I already have 200 BOI Shares which I got for My 21st in Jan 2007 when the price was about 16/17. with them now around 5 ish I think it has to be a good longterm investment (5-10 years.)

I was thinking €20k worth.

just wondering if people think this is a good or bad idea. I'm sure most will say dont do it buy I'm a risk acceptor:p

how much would a 20k loan over 5 years cost me roughly per month in total over the 5 years. obviously the return would have to outweigh the cost of the loan to make it worth while.

on a side note my dad sold about 200k worth of BOI when they were about 16/17 and is wondering should he get back in now?

BOI shares now at Sid Waddel territory; one hundred and eighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

BOI shares now at Sid Waddel territory; one hundred and eighty!

Nice if they could do a double top.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

How do I go about buying shares in BOI?

With the way things are now, it looks a good time to buy.

Not looking to buy big, say €1000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Just heard an insider rumor that you will soon be able to get BOI shares free with a packet of Corn Flakes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    How do I go about buying shares in BOI?

With the way things are now, it looks a good time to buy.

What makes you think you're not making the exact same mistake as the OP?

I don't think it's a mistake to buy them now if you are thinking of holding them for at least 5 years.
    I think it's a damn good idea.

I'll be using funds I don't need at the moment or in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I don't think it's a mistake to buy them now if you are thinking of holding them for at least 5 years.
    I think it's a damn good idea.

I'll be using funds I don't need at the moment or in the near future.

What happens if they're insolvent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

What makes you think you're not making the exact same mistake as the OP?

It could be a mistake, but I am not buying much.

I have 1k to invest, if it fails its not going to be the end of me.

Could you please link me to a site, I can buy BOI shares.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

said i'd come back to see was this thread still on the go:P

i wonder if i asked the question about borrowing to buy 20k worth at 84cent a share would those who were so against the idea have had a different opinion. eg did they think BOI had more to fall and now that they have it's now a good idea or borrowing to buy shares is a crap idea either way or are BOI still a crap buy in and around 80 cent/€1.20 (i know theres a big difference here but they've been this volitile lately).

initally it was a long term investment idea when they were €5 (which i never went ahead with). i then wanted to buy a shed load last tuesday week when they were 84 cent but couldn't get the money togeather on time and then there were a few stories going around about mergers/aquisitions and stuff that put me off a little bit as i didn't know how the market would react.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

A guy I know borrowed 60k last week and bought at €1.20. He'd been threatening to do it for the last few weeks and we had many the heated discussion about it. Anyway, his thinking was that there was no chance in the banks being nationalised due to the governments lack of funds. If the government used the National Pension reserve fund they would only be able to buy a percentage of the bank (can't rememeber what he said exactly, something like 25%).

He had worked out that taking in the banks assets alone in the Dublin area they were worth €3 a share. Now he doesn't claim to be an expert but this guy is an investment fund accountant.

Oh yea, the bank knew he was buying BOI shares with the loan and he has to pay the loan back in 4 months :eek:. I couldn't believe it when he told me that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

A guy I know borrowed 60k last week and bought at €1.20. He'd been threatening to do it for the last few weeks and we had many the heated discussion about it. Anyway, his thinking was that there was no chance in the banks being nationalised due to the governments lack of funds. If the government used the National Pension reserve fund they would only be able to buy a percentage of the bank (can't rememeber what he said exactly, something like 25%).

He had worked out that taking in the banks assets alone in the Dublin area they were worth €3 a share. Now he doesn't claim to be an expert but this guy is an investment fund accountant.

Oh yea, the bank knew he was buying BOI shares with the loan and he has to pay the loan back in 4 months :eek:. I couldn't believe it when he told me that

If the latest plan involving the asset managers from irish banks allong with gov using pension funds to re-cap banks is a runner instead of the vc plan your friends investment would make exellent returns even after the latest jump from 0.88-1.50, I have a feeling the gov will adopt a plan which involves the latest irish bid allong with some investment by gov which should be a lot more possitive for exsisiting bank employees and shareholders, I bought aib 2 weeks ago at 3.56 and will be keeping stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

how is the guy you know feeling now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

This thread is a classic.

lol at my post that oil could hit $200 and O'Leary would be screwed.

Last time I take on O'Leary.

It's been a loooong week - BOI at 19 cents. Fookin hell.

2009 is going to make 2008 look like Christmas ... .. .

PS - pity myself and Stepbar derailed the thread at the time but it makes for funny reading now . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

so would now be a good time to snap up boi shares or could there still be worse to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

triple-M wrote: »
    so would now be a good time to snap up boi shares or could there still be worse to come?

suicide.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

triple-M wrote: »

why are people like a moth to flame on this doggy stock?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

silverharp wrote: »
    why are people like a moth to flame on this doggy stock?

TBH I was the same. I've setup a stock account and setup the Beneficiary to put money into my stock account... I'm GLAD it took so long for them both to get setup and cleared because I have totally changed my mind about it and wont be investing in any banks... just because there is no light at the end of the tunnel for them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Im sure people slagged of Sir John templeton when borrowed $10,000 (worth a lot more at todays value) in the last big recession and used it for stocks.
    He only became a billionaire.

Though I would take important lesson from him. He bought multiple stocks for no more than $1.

I think if you borrow 20 grand pick 10/20 big name battered stock across a range of areas and put it in,

No way is more than a third collpasing and one should make many times returns on others in the long run

• Advertisement

Compak wrote: »
    I think if you borrow 20 grand pick 10/20 big name battered stock across a range of areas and put it in,

You mean like an ETF? Nearly everyone here would agree that they offer the best long term return in equities right now. In 6 months I will be putting a lot of money into a Eurostoxx ETF and then forgetting about it till the recession passes and the next boom arrives

Idu wrote: »
    You mean like an ETF? Nearly everyone here would agree that they offer the best long term return in equities right now. In 6 months I will be putting a lot of money into a Eurostoxx ETF and then forgetting about it till the recession passes and the next boom arrives

Yeah like that or even pick the companies yourself.

For example in these battered times I have had about four companies lose 30%
    4 lose 80-90%
    3 gain ~130%
    2 gain 300%
    1 gain 400%

Unfortunately I dont folllow my own advice and my losses were heavier weighted than my gains but as you can see even with 4 dreadful picks an even distribution produced nice profits

Compak wrote: »
    Yeah like that or even pick the companies yourself.

For example in these battered times I have had about four companies lose 30%
    4 lose 80-90%
    3 gain ~130%
    2 gain 300%
    1 gain 400%

Unfortunately I dont folllow my own advice and my losses were heavier weighted than my gains but as you can see even with 4 dreadful picks an even distribution produced nice profits

What companies did you pick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ih8aloss

If I take 20K I'm going to ensure it's got a future, it's viable and there is a demand, after I did my DD. Look at GM in the tank and it was once at a lot higher price, doesn't mean it is going to return to that, if it even is around in a year as a viable company. I personally like a Start up called Solterra Renewable Technologies, Inc. Symbol HGUE that has a lot more potential return than BOI. Hope you don't lose your job because in this economy nothing is guaranteed anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

ih8aloss wrote: »
    If I take 20K I'm going to ensure it's got a future, it's viable and there is a demand, after I did my DD. Look at GM in the tank and it was once at a lot higher price, doesn't mean it is going to return to that, if it even is around in a year as a viable company. I personally like a Start up called Solterra Renewable Technologies, Inc. Symbol HGUE that has a lot more potential return than BOI. Hope you don't lose your job because in this economy nothing is guaranteed anymore.

I think I'll sell everything I own in order to buy this stock. I mean it's symbol is HGUE which rearranged is HUGE. If that's not a sign, what is?

I think I'll sell everything I own in order to buy this stock. I mean it's symbol is HGUE which rearranged is HUGE. If that's not a sign, what is?

tis the reason I own
    - WIN (windstream)
    - GAIN (Gladstone)
    - BULL (Bull SA)
    - SKY(skyline0

Unfortunately all are at their 52 week lows:(
    Markets have no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

Idu wrote: »

Can you explain the timeline of investment within Euro Stoxx forward of September 2009

The EU trading bloc IMO is under severe pressure that will intensify in trying to keep the CEE afloat, particularly Ukraine and its ilk. Many consider the CEE to be Europe’s new subprime - with Austrian, Scandinavian and Italy's banking sectors heavily exposed through credit derivatives.

Then you have the PIIGS economies and likely problems of default. And France and Germany sitting on their hands saying we are French/German firstly and European second .They rule out the use of Euro Bonds to bail out ailing economies.

This Euro project is in big trouble and its various leaders have no cohesiveness but instead harbour protectionism only policies with self-interest posturing towards their own nations. IMO short the Euro as it's going to be under huge pressure, as will its related bourses.

Regarding the Op's question on Irish bank stoxx and whether they are a buy or not, you must ask yourself why the market has priced them so low on P/E etc. The simple answer is because the markets are usually right and these are now junk stoxx. With a high likelihood of nationalisation which the Irish state can ill-afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

i wana know how this guy is doin now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement