Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M8 - Cashel to Cullahill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Many major corridors? We have rural two lane motorways, not remotely extravagant.

As it is, the entire west, midwest, southwest and south depends on two routes in/out of Dublin, the N4 and N7.

Any further rationalisation would indeed just lead to the kind of problems in the UK where you have to spend a fortune accommodating M50-style upgrades of the trunk corridors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Zoney wrote: »

Any further rationalisation would indeed just lead to the kind of problems in the UK where you have to spend a fortune accommodating M50-style upgrades of the trunk corridors.

But the UKs population didnt increase massively during its Motorway building years, the only thing that changed was car ownership increased. Rationalization on the Interurbans would have meant extra cash to spend on upgrades of congested roads/ upgrade of public transport options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Whats the problem building these roads? I'd rather be looking at them than looking for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

New signage is being erected daily now. It looks like the builders are doing all the final fixes now. This is being kept very quiet in the press. You'd think Cashel South Tipp and Kilkenny councillors would be trumpeting this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Furet wrote: »
    New signage is being erected daily now. It looks like the builders are doing all the final fixes now. This is being kept very quiet in the press. You'd think Cashel South Tipp and Kilkenny councillors would be trumpeting this.

What sort of timescale are we looking at there Furet ?

Any esimation on time saving with the opening of this scheme ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

I just rang the RoadbridgeSisk offices. The road will open on Monday, 8 December.

Furet last quoted saying 8th Dec, which is only 4 weeks away! But if the process is faster that would be class and also NRA will come out and say the scheme opened so many months ahead as they always do.

What sort of timescale are we looking at there Furet ?

Any esimation on time saving with the opening of this scheme ?

Well I'd say that with the bypassing of Horse and Jockey, Littleton, Urlingford and Johnstown (none of which are really bottlenecks), plus the 120 limit, you could save maybe ten minutes at absolute most on your journey when traffic on the soon-to-be R639 is light (at weekends and such). Of course, when the soon-to-be R639 between Cashel and Cullahill is busy, which it certainly is on weekdays, the time saving would be significantly greater on the motorway (perhaps 15 minutes: no more lorry convoys, granny-driver build-ups, or agricultural vehicles; these aren't a problem at weekends because the existing road is mostly wide, straight, and of good quality).

The real benefit of this 40km scheme is one of eliminating juggernaut convoys and improving safety. The section between Cashel and Urlingford in particular experiences very heavy traffic at certain times. The Horse and Jockey junction especially is chaotic sometimes. But the big time saver on the M8 corridor will be the Mitchelstown to Fermoy section, which could knock 12 to 15 minutes off the journey -- bearing in mind that scheme is only 16km long, that's a remarkable reduction in journey time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

just right! I have to drive to Dublin Xmas night....anyone fancy a sweepstake on how long it';; take me now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

corktina wrote: »
    just right! I have to drive to Dublin Xmas night....anyone fancy a sweepstake on how long it';; take me now?

Christmas night !!.

Two hours Cork to Dublin, easy. Depends how fast you want to go. I doubt any Gardai will bother you.

just as well...i'll be hanging out the door langered again i expect.....

• Advertisement

(i was joking...)

(before anyone asks) I got a daughter working Stephens day in Dublin.....so someone has to drive up from Cork to take her back.....what a top class Pappa I am....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Well I'd say that with the bypassing of Horse and Jockey, Littleton, Urlingford and Johnstown (none of which are really bottlenecks), plus the 120 limit, you could save maybe ten minutes at absolute most on your journey when traffic on the soon-to-be R639 is light (at weekends and such). Of course, when the soon-to-be R639 between Cashel and Cullahill is busy, which it certainly is on weekdays, the time saving would be significantly greater on the motorway (perhaps 15 minutes: no more lorry convoys, granny-driver build-ups, or agricultural vehicles; these aren't a problem at weekends because the existing road is mostly wide, straight, and of good quality).

The real benefit of this 40km scheme is one of eliminating juggernaut convoys and improving safety. The section between Cashel and Urlingford in particular experiences very heavy traffic at certain times. The Horse and Jockey junction especially is chaotic sometimes. But the big time saver on the M8 corridor will be the Mitchelstown to Fermoy section, which could knock 12 to 15 minutes off the journey -- bearing in mind that scheme is only 16km long, that's a remarkable reduction in journey time.

Actually you can get traffic jams in Urlingford and Durrow that each add about 10 minutes to your journey at busier times.

I reckon the Cashel-Cullahill section will save about 30 minutes at peak times and 15-20 minutes at less busy times.

When you factor in the time savings on other sections, the total savings along the entire route from Dunkettle to Portlaoise will be over an hour even at quiet times.

MYOB wrote: »
    Scotland also has a sub-WS2 grade road from its capital to the border using the signed "THE SOUTH, LONDON" route...

Not quite. The A1 from Edinburgh to south of Haddington is high-quality dual-carriageway and there are alternating sections of single- and dual-carriageway from there to Berwick-on-Tweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Actually you can get traffic jams in Urlingford and Durrow that each add about 10 minutes to your journey at busier times.

I reckon the Cashel-Cullahill section will save about 30 minutes at peak times and 15-20 minutes at less busy times.

When you factor in the time savings on other sections, the total savings along the entire route from Dunkettle to Portlaoise will be over an hour even at quiet times.

It can be very slow all the way between Durrow and Urlingford in particular.
    And the section before Cashel is horrendous sometimes, traffic can just back and go at a snails pace, particularly with tractors/ geriatric drivers etc...
    So roll on the new section.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I've generally found that section to be the worst for getting unlucky with the person at the top of the queue. Ended up doing an average speed of 40km/hr from Durrow to Urlingford before (wasn't even a constant speed, the driver at the front would build up to somewhere about 50km/hr, panic, jam on the brakes and we'd be back down to below 30km/hr again). Not sure whom to blame more, the driver at the front, or the line of people who won't overtake regardless of the opportunities... Roll on the new road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not quite. The A1 from Edinburgh to south of Haddington is high-quality dual-carriageway and there are alternating sections of single- and dual-carriageway from there to Berwick-on-Tweed.

Thats not the signposted route, though. The signposted route is A702, A74(M), A74, M6, M42, M40. Writing that out makes it clear how convoluted that is...

My original post made it read like its sub WS2 the entire way, came across wrong. Its not, the A74/A74(M) clearly isn't!

has anyone got updated picks of the new section? I presume when it opens access will be at the new roundabout they made outside of urlingford??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There'll be access from that roundabout in Urlingford and access to the beginning of the scheme will be at a temporary roundabout near Cullahill (which they'll be getting rid of when they connect it up to the M8 Portlaoise-Cullahill).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Have they finished merging the temp roundabout with the existing road?

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Thats not the signposted route, though. The signposted route is A702, A74(M), A74, M6, M42, M40. Writing that out makes it clear how convoluted that is...

My original post made it read like its sub WS2 the entire way, came across wrong. Its not, the A74/A74(M) clearly isn't!

I didn't realise it wasn't the signposted route. However, it's the route the vast majority of people use, unless they're into driving slowly! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I don't think it'll be opening early.

All the politicians and executives who, of course, contributed nothing to road need to pencil the date into their diaries so they can turn up, get their name on a plague and scoop up as much credit as possible for the project. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I didn't realise it wasn't the signposted route. However, it's the route the vast majority of people use, unless they're into driving slowly! ;)

In my defence, I was going by Warrington so had to use the M6, but I was going to do the sheep thing of taking the signed route anyway - what with having a sat nav that tries to get me arrested or kill me and it looking 'better' (with more blue on it) on the map book...

can you guys stop going off the the topic! what is the status of the temp roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Stark wrote: »
    There'll be access from that roundabout in Urlingford and access to the beginning of the scheme will be at a temporary roundabout near Cullahill (which they'll be getting rid of when they connect it up to the M8 Portlaoise-Cullahill).
    ipodrocker wrote: »
    can you guys stop going off the the topic! what is the status of the temp roundabout?

Ive been travelling every weekend to cork, and have been waiting for this stretch to open, as It's the 1 bit of road I hate. I can see where the urlingford roundabout, but cant make out where the roundabout at cullahill wil be, whereabouts is this going to be?

what is the status of the temp roundabout?

Unfortunately I don't know. I haven't been up that far in almost two months, and I don't plan on heading up there again before the road opens. I am very curious to find out what the situation is up there though.

My feeling overall is that the pavement is now 98% ready for traffic.

- The junctions at Cashel north (7) and Horse and Jockey (6) are layed out now; all that needs to be done there is some signing and landscaping.

- From junction 5 to the terminus is done pavementwise, except possibly for a very short stretch (perhaps no more than 250m) at the Urlingford junction itself (4). I could be wrong and this might actually be done already, however.

December 8 remains the target date, though I haven't heard this mentioned locally. I got that date from the Roadbridge Sisk site office in Kilkenny.

FIRE wrote: »
    Ive been travelling every weekend to cork, and have been waiting for this stretch to open, as It's the 1 bit of road I hate. I can see where the urlingford roundabout, but cant make out where the roundabout at cullahill wil be, whereabouts is this going to be?

It's just about 1.5km south of Cullahill on your right as you head towards Cork, slightly uphill. Look for a big Transport 21 sign on your left and the roundabout, which is NOT on the existing N8, is opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

It's just about 1.5km south of Cullahill on your right as you head towards Cork, slightly uphill. Look for a big Transport 21 sign on your left and the roundabout, which is NOT on the existing N8, is opposite.

This may seen a stupid question, but how are they going to work that? I knew I hadnt seen any signs of a roundabout coming onto the existing road.

I'll have a look on friday. Thanks Furet. Havent posted in here but have been checking this thread for weeks and the Mitchelstown thread aswell and some great pics.

Im excited about the Dec 8th if it happens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

On average, every 3 weeks for the past 22 years I have been doing this route. I got to really hate the sction between Cullahill and Johnstown for some strange reason, maybe because it's straight but full of hills and dangerous to overtake.

As another poster has said, convoys of vehicles behind a slowcoach could reduce your speed to 50 - 60 kph (40 miles an hour in real money).

Anyway I never thought I'd see the day...but it's coming near tg.

• Advertisement

Sorry dad.

sad-puppy-762581.JPG

Thank God this stretch is going to be finished soon. It's a pain in the butt - almost impossible to overtake from Horse & Jockey all the way to Durrow.

Advertisement