Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    To get back on topic. I actually enjoyed Dynamite Kid's book, has anyone here read it at all, or have any thoughts on it?
    Great read if a little depressing. Hes a VERY bitter man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

callaway92 wrote: »
    Batista calling his wife lazy and all made me sick..Saying she should have helped around more, even if she did have cancer..

So you didnt read the book I take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

rovert wrote: »

Nah..wasnt going to after I heard this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Sorry callaway, you were outed. I haven't read it myself (but i'll admit it), but from what I understand, that quote wasn't actually in the book?

Rovert? Clarify please?

I wasnt outed..I didnt read the book.

• Advertisement

Sorry callaway, you were outed. I haven't read it myself (but i'll admit it), but from what I understand, that quote wasn't actually in the book?

Rovert? Clarify please?

It was a fake story, the line in the fake story was she didnt like vaccuming (giving bjs.) In the book Batista was a lot more mature about the situation.

It was a fake story, the line in the fake story was she didnt like vaccuming (giving bjs.) In the book Batista was a lot more mature about the situation.

So, He still does talk like an ass in the book so??:D

So, He still does talk like an ass in the book so??:D

Nope I gained a lot of respect for him after it.

I wasnt outed..I didnt read the book.

It was your reason for not reading it.

(this next part is not aimed at anyone personally)
    It's sh*t like this is what pisses me off about the internet, and just fuels my belief that the internet, does indeed, make you stupid. A rumour flies around, and people take it as gospel, like this. Back in 1991, apparently The Ultimate Warrior died, had AIDS and was fired, failed a steroid test and was fired.

Hell people still believe Savage f*cked Steph! We can thank the deathvalleydriver for that one, despite the fact that it hasn't been substantiated.

With the Batista story in particularly, that was cleared up within a day folks, a day. But people still convince themselves otherwise.

If you've time enough to read a rumour, you've time to read the explanation.

Is the book worth the dosh?

• Advertisement

Is the book worth the dosh?

I remember this time last year I was away for a few days and stopped thought town and Easons on the way. Bought the book and the first and best half of it on the way home on bus (90 mins tops.) Get a lend dont buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭brick tamland

books i've read

really enjoyed

Foley's 1st
    flairs
    wrestlecrap

enjoyed
    Jerry Lawlors
    HBKs
    foleys 2nd
    sex lies and headlocks

didnt like
    Foley's 3rd, although it wasn't as bad as.............
    Austins

I remember this time last year I was away for a few days and stopped thought town and Easons on the way. Bought the book and the first and best half of it on the way home on bus (90 mins tops.) Get a lend dont buy.

Happens me with the majority of wrestling books, I'll tear through them in one sitting. In fairness, War and Peace they ain't.

On a copletely unrelated side note that Ring of Hell is pretty bad. REALLY badly written. Then again look at the shi*te the author produced in Powerslam this week.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Happens me with the majority of wrestling books, I'll tear through them in one sitting. In fairness, War and Peace they ain't.

Tihs had more pictures and a larger font size than most WWE books.

Did anyone else have a hard time with Lawlers book? After the second half of it, it got really depressing.

anyone read the million dollar mans?

was in between that and Foleys 3rd recently when i was on holiday. went for foleys and was sorry i did. might still get it though

Did anyone else have a hard time with Lawlers book? After the second half of it, it got really depressing.

i enjoyed it tbh. well from what i remember about it i did anyway.he was quite honest about his private life from what i remember

Pretty much a near complete list of Wrestling books I’ve read and I do own most:

Hardcore History: The Extremely Unauthorized Story of ECW
    Slamthology: Collected Wrestling Writings 1991-2004
    The Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Tag Teams
    Wrestling at the Chase
    Forgiven by Vince Russo
    The Cowboy and the Cross: The Bill Watts Story
    Bodyslams!: Memoirs of a Wrestling Pitchman by Gary Cappetta,

Turning The Tables (ECW)
    Hardcore History (ECW)
    WWE: Rise & Fall of ECW
    National Wrestling Alliance by Hornbecker
    Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Heels
    Brody: The Triumph and Tragedy of Wrestling's Rebel
    Wrestling Babylon
    Sex, Lies, and Headlocks: The Real Story of Vince McMahon and World Wrestling Federation

Chokehold: Pro Wrestling's Real Mayhem Outside the Ring
    Head Games: Football's Concussion Crisis from the NFL to Youth Leagues (Kind of Wrestling, Important enough to list)
    Ring of Hell: The Story of Chris Benoit and the Fall of the Pro Wrestling
    The Wrestlecrap Book of Lists! (Wrestlecrap)
    Wrestlecrap
    Death of WCW
    Ole Anderson: Inside
    Tributes I by Dave Meltzer
    Tributes II by Dave Meltzer
    The Story of the Development of NWATNA: A New Concept in Pay-Per-View Programming by Jerry Jarrett
    Ring of Hell
    Pain & Passion
    Wrestling Observers Top 100 Pro Wrestlers of All Time
    Death of WCW

Dusty Rhodes
    Harley Race
    Terry Funk
    Ted DiBiase (The older one with all the bible thumping WWE took out)
    Nikita Koloff
    JJ Dillion
    Freddie Blassie
    Superstar Billy Graham
    Bobby Heenan
    Arn Anderson
    Bret Hart “Hitman”
    Dynamite Kid
    All 3 Mick Foley books
    Ric Flair
    Edge
    Regal
    Shawn Michaels
    Batista
    Eddie Guerreo
    Hulk Hogan
    Kurt Angle
    Hardy Boyz
    Jerry Lawler
    The Rock
    Stone Cold
    The Wrestling
    Roddy Piper In The Pit
    Chris Jericho
    Missy Hyatt
    Chyna :(

Currently reading:
    Gorgeous George: The Outrageous Bad-Boy Wrestler Who Created American Pop Culture by John Capouya

Wuold Terry Funks be a good read..would be interestred in what he says about Chainsaw Charlie/WWF etc

Wuold Terry Funks be a good read..would be interestred in what he says about Chainsaw Charlie/WWF etc

Its good but not great, he skims over great chunks of his career too much for my liking.

• Advertisement

The Story of the Development of NWATNA: A New Concept in Pay-Per-View Programming by Jerry Jarrett
    Is this as atrocious as it sounds!?

Terry's book is the best out of the Race, Funk and Dusty trio it reads in Terry's oh gosh darn it delivery it is so much fun and he has had an amazing career. People say it is too short but aint word count wise it just that the book needs to cover so much ground . Chainsaw Charlie was a minor part of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

anyone read the million dollar mans?

was in between that and Foleys 3rd recently when i was on holiday. went for foleys and was sorry i did. might still get it though

Started it tonight im about 75 pages from the end its 240 pages its ok nothing too special,in between every paragraph there are paragraphs from loads of other well known wrestling personalities, Heenan, Funks, Tully,Arn, JJ Dillon, Terry Taylor,Harley Race, Pritchard etc about Ted and while its a nice touch I feel in interupts the continuity of the book but thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Personally I found his book really frustrating. I thought Batista came across as arrogant and ignorant and the amount of cursing really put me off. Another thing was the random bios. of wrestlers that I saw as nothing but filler and I sincerely doubt he wrote/spoke himself, those got on my nerves. I didn't actually finish it as I said but I have a bit of a backlog book wise so I might not ever get around to finishing it.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Is this as atrocious as it sounds!?

**** no it is a great business book and a pretty good Wrestling book. It is an unedited diary of the start up of NWATNA. Anyone who has aspirations or fantasies about becoming a promoter on any level it is a must read. It is notable for Jerry's serious :rolleyes: at Jeff and Vince Russo, all the negotiations with Wrestlers and their ridiculous demands, raising finance, WWE's alleged attempt at sabotage, the embezzlement by a PPV representative that nearly bankrupted the company and being saved by Dixie Carter/Panda Energy.

The Rock

Any idea on where to pick up the TNA book on the relative cheap and is The Rocks book worth a read?

Any idea on where to pick up the TNA book on the relative cheap

It aint the longest book in the word so get ass raped for £80 on Amazon for it, Highspots had it cheap when I bought last year.

The Rocks book worth a read?

It is typical Wrestling book until he reaches WWE and then it is Rock in promo mode recapping his matches. ****e

Has anybody read Arn Anderson's book, wondering is it worth a look?

Has anybody read Arn Anderson's book, wondering is it worth a look?

The guy is a mongo, I know he wrote it in 1997 but he kayfabes (talks as if Wrestling is real) for most of it. Much like still talks like Wrestling is real on DVDs in 2008! It you are a big NWA and Arn fan it is okay. I know I forgot it on my list but I read this after my first two books Pure Dynamite and Have a Nice Day, bad idea.

Edit: Just remembered I read Missy Hyatts too. Yeah I know.

• Advertisement

F*cking hell rovert, that's a serious amount of reading! respect.

Advertisement