Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy snow: Early Tomorrow across much of the North and East.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

rc28 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/webcams/548960.shtml
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/webcams/549610.shtml
    The following are from Hertfordshire north of london just over an hour ago and it's still snowing there now;
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/dupplawt/SnowOctober28th08?authkey=rftXouZBH8E#
    If this were January it would still be unprecedented for central london etc to be getting snow, but it's October!!

Yep amazing scenes in Southern England :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well Gerry Murphy didn't mention the word snow tonight so a huge difference.
    Who ever is right should be praised tomorrow...............and of course whoever is wrong should be hung out to dry:D
    He always ramps down everything cant tune into the guy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well Gerry Murphy didn't mention the word snow tonight so a huge difference.
    Who ever is right should be praised tomorrow...............and of course whoever is wrong should be hung out to dry:D
    He always ramps down everything cant tune into the guy at all

yes. Evelyn is much better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Strange..despite the national forecast not mentioning it, the regional ones all do..

Ulster
    Cold. Windy. Heavy rain or sleet during the morning, with snow in places. Brighter and clearer later.

Leinster
    Mostly cloudy, with rain at times. Snow on some mountains - but becoming generally a bit less cold as the day goes on.

Connaught
    Cold. Windy. Heavy rain or sleet, clearing later.

Munster
    Cold. Windy. Heavy rain or sleet, with some snow on hills, clearing later.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp

There is a probability in my opinion of wet snow tomorrow.
    I'd expect artictree's and annamoe.nets webcams to be boasting some at some point.

I'm doubtfull of anything usefull on lower ground.Though I wouldn't rule out a few wet bursts here too.

I do think Gerry Murphy who I assshume was on tonight going on the accent ye are posting was being his overcautious shelf..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

GFS (18z) is a downgrade and also hopeless for snow tomorrow.

Snow risk 15-20% and snow level in meters above 600 increasing rapidly from the west.
    A small risk but this will be a hope nowcast i reckon for snow for lower levels.

Met Eireann imo are right whoever where doing it.
    UKMO is very obvious, a moderate risk for high ground for a time? That's 50/50 and in no way certain of it either for higher ground. It's either it will or it won't.:)

Cold rain me thinks.:(

Well I'm not expecting any for here anyway,I reckon there may be some up around roundwood and annamoe though.
    I'm hoping not too for here for obvious reasons.
    That kind of weather is best kept for December to march I think.

Meanwhile heres a live webcam near paddington station in central London and as of now 1130pm,the cars are covered in snow.

http://www.camvista.com/england/london/darlingtonhotel.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

trogdor wrote: »

Connaught
    Cold. Windy. Heavy rain

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp

Now there's a first. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Probably half an hour or so of wet snow here before turning back to rain, i certainly am not expecting a snow day off work , plenty of time left for that :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

It will snow !!!!
    I seen some today in munster already.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

The front is extremely fragmented but any precip over Ireland is showing up as sleet/snow on the nw radar the further east you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Currently 0.2c with a -0.5 DP and according to radar, there is precip only 10 miles west of here. Surely I'll see some snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Danno wrote: »
    Currently 0.2c with a -0.5 DP and according to radar, there is precip only 10 miles west of here. Surely I'll see some snow.

Spectacular low of +0.6c overnight here overnight :mad:. Currently 3.5c with lovely spits of rain.

In short, crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

8am reports.
    Cork AP 2C Rain/Drizzle
    Knock AP 2C Light Rain

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'm not going to hold my breath!

I'd be much more confident of getting some sort of wintery precip (even if it is hail) this evening when winds turn around to north east after rain has moved through today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Nothing from that precip band as it all evapourated before ground fall. Temps have climbed to 2.5c now and dews are up to 1.8c. I guess it was the warm front passing over. There will be no snow here today unless the back end of the cold front turns to snow after dark this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

TBH - The charts for tomorrow look better for wintry showers on the east coast:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/atlantic-charts.asp

Again, if only a few weeks later!!

A

DP here in cloudy conditions is still sub zero with an air temp steady at 2.6c.
    That should be enough for some snow above 800ft in this area provided it doesn't go higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I'm not expecting much but by Skerries standards, this morning's temperatures were quite rare. 0.1c when I woke up around 6:50 with a dp of -1.75. Temp around midnight was 1.3c which had climbed a little due to a wind picking up. I'd assumed I'd be waking up to temps around 2+C. For a seaside town it's rare to get morning temps that low. I was impressed. Hoar frost and all even with a breeze. Any snow now would be a bonus and I'm not expecting any. Also, for anyone watching Jools Holland last night, there was a great shot of the falling snow when the show started at 10pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The Met Office in the UK have issued a severe weather warning for Northern Ireland for heavy snow.
    If this does happen the presenter of the weather last night on rte should be sacked as he didn't mention the word snow at all. Of course only if it does snow.
    There could well be chaos up there later and as far as i know rte are meant to cover NI aswell

• Advertisement

It's snowing properly in Slane and near Dunshaughlin in Co Meath according to people I know there. Bone dry in town so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I still think Lug in Wicklow will get snow but if there is a slight upgrade and only for the mountains of NI, the cold air seems to stay there for much longer before turning mild with snowline down to 400meters with much milder air sliding just south of NI to affect the rest of the island. Cold but not as cold air digs back into the north also later. Data from the 00z GFS Hi res output.

The trough that introduced the cold air to us yesterday and which brought the snow to southern UK was met by moist air moving up from France and stalled and intensified the trough just north of London. This was clearly witnessed on IR sat. London is getting more snow than Dublin nowadays and Dublin geograpically has a better chance and location for snow most of the time.

"Outbreaks of snow are expected to spread slowly eastwards across Northern Ireland during today. 2 to 5 cm of snowfall is expected quite widely on low ground, with around 10 cm on the higher ground of county Antrim and county Derry. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Watch (NI) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 0828 Wed 29 Oct"

The above is from the Metoffice. Is the air up there really that much colder than across the border?? To give actual forecasts of accumulations show they are quite certain any precip will fall as snow.

I wanna head up the M1!!

Reckon Meath, WestMeath, Cavan are the places to be.

3c and 0c DP at the moment, we cant go much more.

2,-1c in Belfast.

Currently 3.6°C DP -0.8°C, it would snow here with those stats, should be interesting here shortly :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Its all about how heavy the precipitation is, if it's really heavy than snow to low levels is likely. If not its likely to be rain.

It could start for example with light rain and then turn to snow as it gets heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm in Letterkenny and we have had sleet all morning. :mad:

Darn radar shows precip over here but its as dry as a bone..mountains sucking the life outta my sneachta!!

Supercell wrote: »
    Darn radar shows precip over here but its as dry as a bone..mountains sucking the life outta my sneachta!!

The precip is ever so slowly tiptoeing east.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Light snow at ballyhaise according to met.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement