Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He produced Keep the Faith but he engineered and i think mixed both 'Slippery When Wet' and 'New Jersey', 2 of the biggest albums of the 80's...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

He produced Keep the Faith but he engineered and i think mixed both 'Slippery When Wet' and 'New Jersey', 2 of the biggest albums of the 80's...

Sh*t, you're right, I completely overlooked that.
    I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Holy molly, 1001th post on this thread. :eek: As the OP, Id like to personally thank Napster, Dave Mustaine, the song 'Mama Said' and last but not least Death Magnetics 'clipping' without whom none of this was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Rockee wrote: »
    Holy molly, 1001th post on this thread. :eek: As the OP, Id like to personally thank Napster, Dave Mustaine, the song 'Mama Said' and last but not least Death Magnetics 'clipping' without whom none of this was possible.

J's not gonna be too impressed that you left out Bob Rock ;)

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    J's not gonna be too impressed that you left out Bob Rock ;)

True that though I know J in the real world and its a love/love thing...:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The Cult only had four albums? That's news to me! Three out of eight is what you're looking for there. I'd call THAT sparingly. He did two of those in a row, and there was a breakup in between the two.
    Brilliant. Out of four sequential albums he produced three, that clear enough or should I start including diagrams? Yeah they broke up, but how many years between their albums and how many years between Metallica's? Didn't he produce just four of nine original Metalica albums? Just as well I'm not bald or we'd be running out of hairs to split :pac:
    I'd disagree with Ceremony. If you can get your mits on the stuff from Ceremony demos, or even the Sonic Temple demos, they were fairly solid. The problem laid at the feet of both Ian Astbury (as Duffy has taken a step back, just like Ian had done with ST), and Richie Zito. With the Self Titled album, that was a farce, because Rock took over from Rubin, who'd started producing it. Rock took that over rather than start from scratch.
    They put out a great album which Rubin produced. They put out a great album which Rock produced. They put out a crap album which Rock didn't produce, ok. Is that Bob Rock's fault? Then they put out two rather good albums which Rock produced. What are we saying here? Are you saying that the songs on Load, Reload and stanger are, in fact, gold nuggets and somehow Bob Rock made great songs sound ****?
    Alright, i was a little off the mark, my point was that you can't blame the grunge movement for the production of crap albums.
    I don't think that many bands quality veered too far from what they put out in the past, just time had moved on and hard rock wasn't fashionable, sales plummeted, etc. Hey, it happens to every popular music movement. Waiting For The Punchline is my favourite Extreme album but it sold all of about four copies. Thrash is popular again but you couldn't give it away by 93.
    Rock only produced one Jovi album if I recall correctly, Keep The Faith. Fairbairn did SWW and NJ. They aged well. KTF i have to say didn't, i loved it at the time and aged well for the first five or so years, but listening to it now, save for three or four songs, it's horribly dated. However Rock did do what he intended to do, and that was produce a big comeback album after Jon and Richie came back from their solo projects. Sonic Temple i won't disagree with, it's a timeless classic and given the Ceremony demos, i wonder what would have become of those had Rock not been busy with Metallica to produce Ceremony.

Yeah, i think you should start a Bob Rock is ok petition! ;)

Exactly. Metallica's failings are not Bob Rock's fault, I'm glad this issue has been resolved :D

Edit -> Anyway, for those of ye still interested, there are some cracking albums which have been mentioned which are well worth a listen if yizzers don't have them

http://www.amazon.com/Motley-Crue-M%C3%B6tley-Cr%C3%BCe/dp/B00008OLIH/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_2

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Temple-Cult/dp/B0000085N4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1223629030&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Cult/dp/B000007WNN/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1223629030&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Cult/dp/B0000085N3/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1223629030&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Good-Evil-Cult/dp/B00005IBYZ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1223629030&sr=1-8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Rockee wrote: »
    True that though I know J in the real world and its a love/love thing...:D:D
    Is it really a real world, though? Show me some Bob Rock love, ****er :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

this thread gets my vote as thread of the year for 2008:D

great stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

So - is Death magnetic still as good as when you guys bought it first or has the thrill of some new Meta- music worn off and all that's left are the songs.

buck65 wrote: »
    So - is Death magnetic still as good as when you guys bought it first or has the thrill of some new Meta- music worn off and all that's left are the songs.

i'm still listening to it a lot and unusually for any album i haven't started skipping through certain songs.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

It still rocks. I have also started listening to load and Reload again (particularly Fixxer and Bleeding Me), and remembering why I love Metallica so much.

Doctor J wrote: »
    Is it really a real world, though? Show me some Bob Rock love, ****er :D

Next time we go for brewskies Doctor J! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Its still a headache, it's like skip... skip.. skip... smash CD :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Het-Field wrote: »
    It still rocks. I have also started listening to load and Reload again (particularly Fixxer and Bleeding Me), and remembering why I love Metallica so much.

i will admit, standout tracks. fixxer more so than anything as when i first heard it thought it was diamond in an otherwise pile of ****. havent listened to it in this millenium, so i think i'll dig it out again...

that song should have been on load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

i will admit, standout tracks. fixxer more so than anything as when i first heard it thought it was diamond in an otherwise pile of ****. havent listened to it in this millenium, so i think i'll dig it out again...

that song should have been on load.

Well, either way the song kicks ass.

One week later, and im stilll not bored. FIXXXXXXER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

lord lucan wrote: »
    i'm still listening to it a lot and unusually for any album i haven't started skipping through certain songs.:D

with St.Anger I listened to it a fair bit the first week or two and didn't listen to it again really, so I gave it a chance and it didn't take - infact the more I listened to it the more annoyed with it I got..............but with this one it's completely different, listened to it a few times this week and I've been busy as hell, so it's great just to have gotten value for money........but the great thing is that I'm listening to it start to finish and not just pickin out a couple of favourite tracks.........and I can't wait to see the new songs played live again.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Its still a headache, it's like skip... skip.. skip... smash CD :mad:

I know, the only half good songs are the day that never comes and the unforgiven II but their not even that great

Devious wrote: »
    Good lord, can you imagine Metallica releasing something called "Steal This Album"? It goes against everything they stand for! :D

Metallica don't stand for anything now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

rgjmce wrote: »
    Metallica don't stand for anything now

Why? What did they used to stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

faceman wrote: »

Heavy ****kin Metal, apparently.

• Advertisement

To me metallica used stand for being pro-metallica. Which is why the whole napster thing happened but now they are on napster, what do they have no sense of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Which is why the whole napster thing happened but now they are on napster, what do they have no sense of principle.

That's a pretty dumb statement.

They were against having their music robbed and objected to Napster being the main medium through which this was occurring.

Napster is now a legal site and it's no longer owned by the then owners.

So while it does have the same name it's a company owned by different people no longer involved in illegal activity - effectively a different entity.

Why shouldn't they sell their music from there?

http://www.out-law.com/page-2612

Thinking before typing is generally a good plan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Heavy ****kin Metal, apparently.

Thats just a label thats lashed on music by labels and media mags. I think you will find that they were originall Thrash Metal, but we wont get pedantic! Although I wouldnt call Fade to Black Thrash Metal, but i would call it a good song. I wouldnt call Cyanide Thrash metal, but i would call it a good song too. ;)
    To me metallica used stand for being pro-metallica. Which is why the whole napster thing happened but now they are on napster, what do they have no sense of principle.

Er, Napster is legit now. They stuck to their principles and as a result Napster were forced to become legit.

Did i miss the memo where metallica were pro piracy in the early career days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Did i miss the memo where metallica were pro piracy in the early career days?

well aparantly they used to encourage their fans to bootleg in the early days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Please no Metali- criticism here, it's just not appreciated. Do you guys never learn??:eek:
    Metallica no matter what they do or record will be gods to some people, they will continue to justify their actions right or wrong. They are the true fans afterall.

Please no Metali- criticism here, it's just not appreciated. Do you guys never learn??:eek:
    Metallica no matter what they do or record will be gods to some people, they will continue to justify their actions right or wrong. They are the true fans afterall.

in fairness the lads are only correcting some of the many urban myths that have accompanied the band over the last number of years. true they don't owe any of us anything but i get annoyed when i hear them being bashed using completely false information or twisted facts.

i'm 34 now and have more important things like mortgage/bills to pay etc. to deal with than spending my time jumping to the defense of my favourite band. there's some great discussions in this thread using facts and reasoning but amidst that are the usual drivel using mis-construed information to bash them with.

if i took the time to jump into threads about other bands who i don't like i'd spend half my day on here. if you like them then great. if you don't then fair enough,each to their own but the constant mindless bashing gets very frustrating.

I have no interest in Metallica at all, or even Metal.
    It's all too dumb, I really don't care how fast/loud you can play or how much JD you can drink !

However Ball Ox being spoken either for or against ought be stamped on - Hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    That's a pretty dumb statement.

They were against having their music robbed and objected to Napster being the main medium through which this was occurring.

Napster is now a legal site and it's no longer owned by the then owners.

So while it does have the same name it's a company owned by different people no longer involved in illegal activity - effectively a different entity.

Why shouldn't they sell their music from there?

http://www.out-law.com/page-2612

Thinking before typing is generally a good plan.

to rgjmce: [comedy trumpet] wahhh wahhh wahhh waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh[/comedy trumpet]

brewer just pwned you, as the kids say nowadays.

to rgjmce: [comedy trumpet] wahhh wahhh wahhh waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh[/comedy trumpet]

brewer just pwned you, as the kids say nowadays.

Not being a Kid I don't know what 'pwned' means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I have no interest in Metallica at all, or even Metal.
    It's all too dumb, I really don't care how fast/loud you can play or how much JD you can drink !

However Ball Ox being spoken either for or against ought be stamped on - Hard.

Wait, what ?

Advertisement