Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of Cigarettes.

Options
  • 14-10-2008 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

This is getting a tad bit fucking ridiculous. They're thinking of raising the price of a pack of 20 Cigarettes to over €8.00. I bet none of the people calling for these increased prices are smokers. They all deserve a good stab in the face. There's nothing worse than a righteous non-smoker. They're worse than the vegetarians.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

This is nothing to do with smokers' health. It's all about raising money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I'm a non-smoker, but i think it's fcuking stupid that the lobby groups against smoking are asking for the price to be increased. thats just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Ass Face wrote: »
    There's nothing worse than a righteous non-smoker. They're worse than the vegetarians.

The "woe is me/ I'll do whatever the f*ck I like" smoker is worse than Vegetarians and righteous non smokers combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

The "woe is me/ I'll do whatever the f*ck I like" smoker is worse than Vegetarians and righteous non smokers combined.
    I think you mean, the "piss off I don't want to hear your bollox, my smoking is nothing to do with you" smoker.

I think you mean, the "piss off I don't want to hear your bollox, my smoking is nothing to do with you" smoker.

Exactly as long as you have to pay the ppropriat money for them.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I smoke and I agree with this increase.

Hopefully not for much longer btw. I hate the f*ckin things. Nearly finished the Allen Carr book.

Smokers cost the health service a bomb. We should be paying through the nose for these filthy things. And i'm not sitting on my perch when I say this - my dad has lung cancer. He has cost the health service lots of money for a disease that was avoidable.

If putting up the price of smokes stops even a few young people from ever starting, then it's worth it.

Look, lets face it. It's drug addiction. It's unhealthy and disgusting. It kills people - I would not wish my poor dad's ordeal on anyone.

Tax them to the hilt, I say. I for one can't afford to smoke for much longer. Even if I wanted to.

I know the money raised is just another stealth tax, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Keep it up lads, ye could save us from this recession yet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Tri wrote: »
    Smokers cost the health service a bomb. We should be paying through the nose for these filthy things. And i'm not sitting on my perch when I say this - my dad has lung cancer. He has cost the health service lots of money for a disease that was avoidable.
    That's horse shit. The amount smokers pay in tax each year on them far out weighs the amount being spent on smokers with cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm a non smoker now (well a week off em), but I hate nothin more than "lobby groups" pushing for price increases. Its all well and good saying "put another 2 quid onto the price, more people will definitely give them up". It will also be worth saying when there is a ****ing massive black market flood of cigarettes in Ireland, and the government start losing massive revenue off the sales of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

An ass by any other name......

• Advertisement

That's horse shit. The amount smokers pay in tax each year on them far out weighs the amount being spent on smokers with cancer.

You're missing my point. I'm saying they are a burden on the health service and so they should be taxed.

I didn't compare the tax returns to the cost of cancer treatment.

Are you actually serious?Can you back that up?

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'm a non smoker now (well a week off em), but I hate nothin more than "lobby groups" pushing for price increases. Its all well and good saying "put another 2 quid onto the price, more people will definitely give them up". It will also be worth saying when there is a ****ing massive black market flood of cigarettes in Ireland, and the government start losing massive revenue off the sales of them.

Actually, that's quite true.

I just have a gripe with the things for obvious reasons.

I just wish they never existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Now thats the horse shít. Have you any idea how expensive that health care is! Keep in mind there is more than just Lung cancer caused by smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

This is getting a tad bit fucking ridiculous. They're thinking of raising the price of a pack of 20 Cigarettes to over €8.00. I bet none of the people calling for these increased prices are smokers. They all deserve a good stab in the face. There's nothing worse than a righteous non-smoker. They're worse than the vegetarians.

No-one ever deserves that.

You're a really lovely person. Does your smoking make you anxious or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Great news, anyone who smokes deserves to be punched in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheDude2008

do you smokers know that even if they increase the price to 8 euro that still wont cover the health costs araising from smoking more like it costs 30 euro a packet, so why the **** should the tax payer pay for smokers added cost to the health system. Hipefully they will increase the price of fags a extra 2 euro

do you smokers know that even if they increase the price to 8 euro that still wont cover the health costs araising from smoking more like it costs 30 euro a packet, so why the **** should the tax payer pay for smokers added cost to the health system. Hipefully they will increase the price of fags a extra 2 euro

My sentiments exactly. I feel bad saying that cos of my poor dad. But it's true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yay. I can now up the price that I sell on my duty free purchases for even more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

what about the effect on non smokers, inhaling second hand smoke, care to calculate the possible risk to them and subsequent treatment required.

Ok this has nothing to do with cancer, but still a cost paid for by tax, how about the amount of money spent on cleaning and maintaining streets and bins, the pollution generated by smoking them, the fire hazards, etc.. If you want to work it all in and compare it to the tax intake from ciggs, I'd love to know.

now in fairness the same can be said for booze, strain on the health service, liver etc..., only difference being drinking isn't stigmatised in the same way. Yes drinking is bad, but the vast majority of the population that can legally do so, do. In time, it could find itself in the same position as smoking.

also I don't agree with increasing the cost, only a cash cow being over milked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

There is no need to keep hiking the price. Its not going to do anything, apart from maybe stop some kids starting them in the first place (which is a positive). Some people smoke because they choose to and some simply because they got hooked and can't get off. It isn't fair to keep punishing the wallets of smokers, its not going to make them stop. It may stop the kids, but thats being reactive rather than pro-active.

A new anti -smoking advertising series is needed. Forget about the idiotic warnings and graphic pictures - they are a novelty there to be looked at once, and forever desensitised to afterwards. Forget pushing potato salad out of a fake lung - it gets laughed at. They need to take an adult approach to it. Why not try explaining the benefits of quitting smoking instead of always shouting about the different ways you'll die from them?

If I could say one thing that made me stop, its the money I'm saving. I smoked 30+ a day at one stage, which in current prices, adds up to about 100 quid a week. That 100 euro I would have spent on fags, is now put away for a holiday early next year and it feels good. I feel way better being off them and its scary to think how bad my health actually was. Its a waste of time and cash to smoke, and you unfortunately only realise that either when its too late or you break the habit yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Actually, Ass Face started the thread so smokers could bash the non-smoking brigade responsible for the price hikes.

I don't smoke and I don't care who here smokes or not. I'm not the one buying fags so I honestly couldn't give a damn if they were 80 cent, 8 Euro or 80 Euro a pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

DarkJager wrote: »
    There is no need to keep hiking the price. Its not going to do anything, apart from maybe stop some kids starting them in the first place (which is a positive)

Are you not contradicting yourself?

I agree about a new anti smoking campaign. I actually think one aimed at showing young people how easy it is to slip into the habit. Starts by having one with a drink just to try, no harm done they think. Then they associate it with drinking and can't drink without them and the downward spiral begins. Most young people think they'll never be addicted and its just a 'social' thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

jaysus,over 8euro a packet is taking the piss! I'm poor as it is. Of to belgium with me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

This is getting a tad bit fucking ridiculous. They're thinking of raising the price of a pack of 20 Cigarettes to over €8.00.

fcuk the prolife non smokers ass face, just ignore them. Befriend someone from eastern europe and tell them your problem, they'll be more than happy to provide a solution to your predicament. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

@ DarkJager: You went on for ages trying to tell us that it wouldn't make any difference if they increased the price. The you end by telling us that the main reason that you quit yourself was because of the price?

I must have missed something in your train of thought there, but it didn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

nevf wrote: »
    I'm a non-smoker, but i think it's fcuking stupid that the lobby groups against smoking are asking for the price to be increased. thats just stupid.

those lobby group should be pushing for free stop smoking methods for smokers....maybe we shoud start lobbying the lobby for a few euro for patches and pills.....it's about time the smokers got something back......feckin ludricous tax on a plant.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Maybe they can use the extra money to clean up after you filthy ****ers. Stop throwing the butts of your cigarettes on the ground, and use a bin for gods sake.

Advertisement