Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of Cigarettes.

Options

Comments

Dave! wrote: »
    He died of liver cancer......

Pancreatic cancer you'll find.

2 days after my birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

in economic terms cigarettes are an inelastic product for most, that is why the price will continue to rise with little effect on demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Put it up to a tenner except for pensioners.
    OR get smokers to sign a waiver that they won't accept oncology services and they can have 20 fags for a euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Dave! wrote: »
    He died of liver cancer......

Cigarettes don't just cause lung cancer.
    Anyway he smoked he dies of cancer, he wasn't that funny.
    I am funnier than Bill Hicks.
    (In person not on Boards)
    Because I wear funny hats and slogan T shirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/tobacco/cancer
    Tobacco use, particularly cigarette smoking, is the single most preventable cause of death in the United States. Cigarette smoking alone is directly responsible for approximately 30 percent of all cancer deaths annually in the United States (1). Cigarette smoking also causes chronic lung disease (emphysema and chronic bronchitis), cardiovascular disease, stroke, and cataracts. Smoking during pregnancy can cause stillbirth, low birthweight, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and other serious pregnancy complications (2). Quitting smoking greatly reduces a person’s risk of developing the diseases mentioned, and can limit adverse health effects on the developing child.

Anyone who smokes nowadays is suicidal - different in the old days, before all of the enormous amounts of research linking smoking to cancer, heart disease, lung disease, damage to foetuses and other passive smokers, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I don't smoke, never have - but i still think that over 8 Euro for a pack of 20 smokes is a joke.

I mean can anyone name the last really decent thing that the government spent a lot of the money they're raking from these, and other taxes on ?

The health service ? A joke.
    The Roads ? A joke
    Education ? A joke

My g/f and my mother smoke. I take back suitcase loads of smokes to them when I go home becasue I don't want them to have to fork out that amount for it. For the record a pack of 20 is 600 Fils here (thats about E1.20).

Like I said, non smoker but I seriously don't agree with this high horse bull**** from some people ... "Oh those smokers, they deserve to pay the money, they're a drain on the health service" ... as they drain their 8th pint ...

This may shock some people but ... non smokers die too ...

EDIT -
    Actually another point. Go into A&E some night (preferably a student night or saturday night) count how many people are there related to alcohol related injuries. But thats okay though isnt it ? Alcohol is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Re the cost of health care for smokers.
    I used to own a shop in Dublin where cigarette sales were about 20K per week. Thats about 2,500 packs. Given that the tax take on a pack of smokes is about €6, that was about €13K per week collected in tax. Thats over €600K per annum for a shop selling 350+ packs a day.

There are over 10,000 cig retailers in the country. If each one of those sells only 500 packs per week, thats only 70+ packs per day, the return to revenue in taxes is about €1,500,000,000 per annum. However if you consider that about 1/3rd of the population smokes the figure to revenue is well over €2.5 billion a year.
    The complete HSE budget is €14 billion I believe. Looks to me like the smokers well cover themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

This post has been deleted.
    This post has been deleted.
    I find the self righteousness and aggression from smokers far worse. And I'm a light smoker.

Dudess wrote: »
    I find the self righteousness and aggression from smokers far worse. And I'm a light smoker.

Yeah but in fairness its a lifestyle choice. Same as drinking is but people dont give them stick over having a drink.

I imagine if I had to go through my day with people making comments about my smoking and that i'd be pretty narky too.

c - 13 wrote: »
    Yeah but in fairness its a lifestyle choice. Same as drinking is but people dont give them stick over having a drink.
    Drinking in moderation won't kill you, nor will it emit dangerous fumes breathed in by others.
    I'm so lucky I've managed to cut down smoking to only when I'm drinking but I still wish I never started the damn things. Even though the extent of my cigarette-buying is one box a fortnight, I'm still doing myself damage.

I agree there are some highly sanctimonious non smokers around these parts at times (the worst ones are the ex smokers) but nobody on this thread has been particularly bad - the OP's ridiculously aggressive outburst (not the first by that poster) was worse than any non smoker's comments. But it's kinda ok because he's sockin' it to the nasty non smokers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It's ****ing ridiculas, they just bend the smokers over and rape them we are one of the most expensive countries for smokes in the world and the funny thing about it is if everyone who smokes in the country decided to give them up at the same time, said no i'm not paying that. Great health issue sorted the government would blow a braincell and suddenly the price would come back down and adds would appear to get people back on them cause it's all about the ****ing money not health always has been always will be. Why don't they just come out and say it

"We need the tax money from smokes cause without it were ****ed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The more they increase the price the greater the savings from getting a cheap flight every couple of months to anywhere in the EU and picking up 1,000 cigs.

Drinking in moderation won't kill you, nor will it emit dangerous fumes breathed in by others.

Okay that may be true but unfortunately a lot of people don't and wont drink in moderation leading to associated risks such as drunk driving, people starting fights, Alcohol/Pedestrian Related RTA's and so on.

As for the second hand fumes in fairness all the smokers have been moved outside and its illegal to smoke in a public place now, I mean you cant really ask for more other than making them stop completely.

As for the smell off a smoker (breath, clothes etc.) i'm sure you'd have similar issues with a person who's had a couple of pints.

I do agree with you though regarding attitudes but that comes from both sides really, its goign to be an never ending battle between some smokers VS non smokers, and unfortunately their horses are just too high to allow them to reach one another :)

As for the smell off a smoker (breath, clothes etc.) i'm sure you'd have similar issues with a person who's had a couple of pints.
    I never said I'd a problem with that. I very much don't because it doesn't affect me. I've seen it given as a defence by those who are adamant they wouldn't hire a smoker which is just seriously clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

As someone who does not smoke tobacco even i can see the price of
    cigarettes is completely unfair. How come other european countries (one's with better health services than our own) can get by without these taxes?

the amount of smoke released by a ciggarette is tiny, compare it to the amount of smoke released by a campfire. the effect of a ciggarette on a non-smoker (outdoors of course) would be nothing compared to that of an outdoor fire.

The simple fact is if you raised cigarettes to €5 each, kids would still buy them thinking they'll only smoke 1 or 2 and end up hooked. Give them the right background and they'll probably start stealing to fund their habit.

There's only one thing for it, any time a non-smoker goes abroad, buy yourself a carton of them, bring them back and sell them for €5 a pack thus making yourself quite a profit.

well Cowen, congrats on creating a new lucrative black market.:rolleyes:

...how much are they up north btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Smokers are jokers.

Winners don't do drugs.

Although, everyone hates a quitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

jaffa20 wrote: »
    jaysus,over 8euro a packet is taking the piss! I'm poor as it is. Of to belgium with me:D

This guy has smoked so much, he/she has lost the ability to spell

vinylmesh wrote: »
    well Cowen, congrats on creating a new lucrative black market.:rolleyes:

...how much are they up north btw?

Agree wholeheartedly. Almost € 10m worth of cigarettes were seized last year by customs. Considering the authorities inability to judge (illegal) drug's street values I'd say the true worth is much greater, let alone the amount that got through, so a black market in cheap cigarettes already exists. Raising prices will effectively encourage people to resort to it.

Prices in UK/N Ireland are around £4 a pack I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

those lobby group should be pushing for free stop smoking methods for smokers....maybe we shoud start lobbying the lobby for a few euro for patches and pills.....it's about time the smokers got something back......feckin ludricous tax on a plant.....:mad:

Hold on a second, don't you get free cancer after smoking a certain amount?

You chose to smoke, why should the taxpayer have to bail you out? That'd like non-smokers being allocated funds for not smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Winners don't do drugs.

I beg to differ. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

vinylmesh wrote: »
    The simple fact is if you raised cigarettes to €5 each, kids would still buy them thinking they'll only smoke 1 or 2 and end up hooked. Give them the right background and they'll probably start stealing to fund their habit.
    Ah come on everybody knows that people only mug grannies to buy illegal drugs, never once have the procedes of crime bought a pint for an alco criminal, or a pack of smokes. It all goes on heroin, didn't yer mammy tell ya?
    Winners don't do drugs.
    Yep, lotta losers out there. I have never actually met somebody who never took recreational drugs. I see toddlers pepped up on caffeine even more these days.

My "winners don't do drugs" comment was irony guys, irony... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

If fags and booze go up in the budget, doesn't that mean the hikes won't take effect til tomorrow? In which case we all should go out and get hammered tonight, you know to get our monies worth. Gotta think smart in the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Ass Face wrote: »
    I think you mean, the "piss off I don't want to hear your bollox, my smoking is nothing to do with you" smoker.

It's everything to do with others when it's their tax money that's paying for the morphine you might need if you die from lung cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

Ass Face wrote: »
    That's horse shit. The amount smokers pay in tax each year on them far out weighs the amount being spent on smokers with cancer.

So ...... ? Are you going to back this revelation up with any figures? Or would you even like to contribute any more of your witty and sophisticated rhetoric?

Ladies & gents, I think the OP has given up on this one. That's smoking for you .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I don't smoke, never have - but i still think that over 8 Euro for a pack of 20 smokes is a joke.

I mean can anyone name the last really decent thing that the government spent a lot of the money they're raking from these, and other taxes on ?

The health service ? A joke.
    The Roads ? A joke
    Education ? A joke

My g/f and my mother smoke. I take back suitcase loads of smokes to them when I go home becasue I don't want them to have to fork out that amount for it. For the record a pack of 20 is 600 Fils here (thats about E1.20).

Like I said, non smoker but I seriously don't agree with this high horse bull**** from some people ... "Oh those smokers, they deserve to pay the money, they're a drain on the health service" ... as they drain their 8th pint ...

This may shock some people but ... non smokers die too ...

EDIT -
    Actually another point. Go into A&E some night (preferably a student night or saturday night) count how many people are there related to alcohol related injuries. But thats okay though isnt it ? Alcohol is acceptable.

I think that smokers are a heavy drain on the health service.

But I also believe that if you arrive in A&E with injuries you acquired because you were pissed, then you should pay full wack and a "drunk levy". No questions.

Why should the health service pay for the fact that you can't handle your drink or drank too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Well... as long as they don't cop on that you can get 12.5g of rolling tobacco for €3.65... and they taste better and rolling is fun.

2 hours to the budget ooooh exciting :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    what about the effect on non smokers, inhaling second hand smoke, care to calculate the possible risk to them and subsequent treatment required.

For Christ's sake. I heard this so often and it becomes more annoying every time. When was the last time someone held your head between their hands and blew their entire cigarette up your nostrils?

Especially since the smoking ban how much 'second hand smoke' are you realistically being exposed to? That waft that your getting the odd time at the bus shelter going to put you into hospital right?

What about your car and it's second hand fumes I'm exposed to, eh?

That's just a lot of bull****. Get real.

regards

C

Advertisement