Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff that has other uses!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Excellent thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

shellyboo wrote: »
    My Venus razor vibrates. Nuff said.

Hmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Nail polish remover is great on tv/pc screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

ellscurr wrote: »
    Hair conditioner as fabric softener. Because you're worth it :D

And in the vein of 'babywipe uses'....chuck a couple in the dryer with your clothes...cheaper than dryer sheets and yum smell.

And no I don't have a laundry fetish...

Brilliant Idea.

Although I found five litres of comfort for 4:50 the other day so I can't complain really.

I used to use nailpolish to paint my phone....thats about it.

Nail polish remover is great for removing those silly sticker messes and depending on the pen used you can remove a mark from a bus ticket and use it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Oh man, big +++ on the using the ghd's for a quick iron - especially on things like shirt collars, perfect shape :D

and ++++++ x 10000000 on the baby wipes / makeup removers! Their great for giving the sink in the bathroom a wipe down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

Baby oil is brilliant at removing eye make up, just a bit on dry cotton wool and it takes off even the strongest eyeliner and mascara.

Also baby oil with a few spoons of sugar works as a really good scrub on rough skin.

I also love to get a bottle peppermint essential oil and massage a few drops in to my scalp before i shampoo, the steam is the shower really sets of the oils, its great if you have a headache, its really revitilising, ye should seriously try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Nail polish remover is great on tv/ pc screens.

To remove the tip-ex? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

bellapip wrote: »
    Vaseline is brilliant for re moisturizing old wood.

Bell:D

Like Heff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Summerjones

lezizi wrote: »
    I also love to get a bottle peppermint essential oil and massage a few drops in to my scalp before i shampoo, the steam is the shower really sets of the oils, its great if you have a headache, its really revitilising, ye should seriously try it.
    Sounds good! Wouldn't sting your scalp or anything though would it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Add some sugar to conditioner and you can use it as an exfoliator.

Slick some vaseline around your hairline and ears when dying your hair to avoid staining the skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Baby wipes are excellent, like the vaseline comment above I always keep wipes handy if dying my hair at home, keep giving your face a wipe when the dye is on and it'll never stain your skin.

Immac Hair removal cream can be good for unclogging hair in the drain. I know it seems a waste cause you're literally throwing it down the drain but it can help :D

Also for keeping your earrings tidy (this is sorta opposite cos it's using a kitchen appliance for beauty) I have a spatter guard hanging in my wardrobe and I put all my earrings through the holes, one like in the picture below, seriously handy and you can always see all the earrings you have.

draft_lens1310354module1809165photo_SpatterG.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

Sounds good! Wouldn't sting your scalp or anything though would it? :confused:

No it doesnt sting or anything, it's really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 montruse

baby oil is great for shining up the iron around your fireplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Great thread, so much good info! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Nelopee wrote: »
    Apply a really thick line of black eyeliner along your top lashes then smudge with a eye shadow brush for a really quick smokey eye without having to use eyeshadow...

Brown No. 7 Amazing Eyes pencil - you can build the colour up to be as dark as you like, but it's not as harsh as black eyeliner, it lasts for at least 14 hours and it comes with a blender at the end of the pencil. The blender works much better than an eyeshadow brush. It's rescued me more than once!

Vaseline is great for removing waterproof mascara, plus it makes your eyelashes feel lovely.

Nail glue is great for fixing those diamanté buttons you get on satin shirts when they break (which they invariably do).

If your hem on your trousers falls down and you're in a rush, a few staples will hold the hem in place until you can sew it back up. Staple from the inside of the leg so less of the staple is visible. My favourite quick-fix!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Blush_01 wrote: »
    If your hem on your trousers falls down and you're in a rush, a few staples will hold the hem in place until you can sew it back up. Staple from the inside of the leg so less of the staple is visible. My favourite quick-fix!

I do that too, staplers are great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Can I just say this is officially the best thread EVARRRR! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Blush_01 wrote: »

Just don't do what I do and sit on your leg. Figured that out the hard way when the staple got caught in the ass of my trousers, tearing it apart when I stood up, leaving me exposed! Bad things happened that day. :o

The shame!!! :o:o:o You poor thing!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

nail polish remover can be used to clean linescale from old toilets. Coke works just as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

If you wipe your bathroom mirror with shaving foam and give it a good old polish with a soft cloth, it wont steam up after you get out of the shower and you wont be quasimodoing yourself to get a sliver of non steamy reflection.

Who knew there were so many ways to clean a loo! Get bleach people!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

nail polish for decorating anything really (Christmas cards, picture frames etc)

Also, does everyone know about thinning down old nail polish with a wee bit of nail polish remover? Truly a most useful thing to know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Love the shaving foam on the mirror idea.

Bell:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

mashling wrote: »
    nail polish for decorating anything really (Christmas cards, picture frames etc)

Also, does everyone know about thinning down old nail polish with a wee bit of nail polish remover? Truly a most useful thing to know! :)

Does it just make it usable again? Frick... I just chucked a load out last week. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭blue_belle

pink lipbalm or pink lip gloss or lip stick doubles up as a nice soft blusher.

lemon juice for spots

and, trust me on this one, smear you whole face with honey and leave it for at least half an hour, the longer the better, and wash it off with warm water, your skin will feel amazing. oh, you should wear a hairband, so as not to get the honey in your hair.

almond oil for nails.

let me know how you get on with the honey "facial"

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Love the shaving foam/mirror idea.

A friend of mine paints the end of her trousers with clear nail varnish to stop them fraying when they skim the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Cillit bang.

great thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Dellgirl2 wrote: »
    If you wipe your bathroom mirror with shaving foam and give it a good old polish with a soft cloth, it wont steam up after you get out of the shower and you wont be quasimodoing yourself to get a sliver of non steamy reflection.

Any soaps should have the same effect ;)

blue_belle wrote: »
    and, trust me on this one, smear you whole face with honey and leave it for at least half an hour, the longer the better, and wash it off with warm water, your skin will feel amazing. oh, you should wear a hairband, so as not to get the honey in your hair

I'm scared that you're taking the mickey and i'll never get the honey off, promise i'll look prettier???

it's kind of only using it for it's actual use but anti bac hand gel is essential, and, if it's a particularly yucky loo squirt it on some tissue and clean the seat!! saved alot of hovering at ox*gen and EP!!!

this thread just reminded me of when i was a kid, me and my friend sed to make our own 'beauty products' by mixing whatever was in my mams bathroom, she once caught us with our faces covered in a nice scrub/mask which consisted of moisturiser and shake 'n' vac! "
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

mix sugar with your shower gel, great exfoliator. Ear buds are great for fixing your eye makeup, so you dont end up smudging it more. Someone once told me to use socks to put on fake tan, but it actually seeped through the sock and I still had a big orange hand!! I use my nail clippers to cut the tags off my clothes because I never have a scissors handy!!

I also use my pillow cases to collect up all my dirty clothes for the wash.

Advertisement