Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Reconnected about 11 times last night

Tested every ip

first 6 were 78 all bad

then next 2 were 194 ok but double pings

then a 78 again bad

And a 200 good

And finally a 210 Good and thats where i'm at now.

Rebooting does not always work

My modem has a disconnect option always works

ip.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

boopolo wrote: »
    How long did you disconnect it for?
    I find that if I leave it off for over 30secs I get a new IP.

Boo

Yeah, first two times was just turn on and off. So the process probably took less than 30 seconds.

But the last time I walked off and washed my teeth, so it was a few minutes.

Anyway, I just found out Magnet do service our apartments now! So gonna talk to them now. Ohhh baby, come to papa!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭unnamed

My ADSL Line speed is currently 6143/507 Kbps. I was previously getting >20Mb/1Mb.

I was talking to Tech Support, and they said it's a temporary measure to fix the general slow down problem they are having.

Anyone else have this?

I'm on the beggars bush exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Reconnected about 11 times last night

Tested every ip

first 6 were 78 all bad

then next 2 were 194 ok but double pings

then a 78 again bad

And a 200 good

And finally a 210 Good and thats where i'm at now.

Rebooting does not always work

My modem has a disconnect option always works

ip.jpg

What router are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

I've rung Comreg who say take it up with BT - lodge formal compliant, wait 10 days etc. and they are unaware of any dispute or problems between BT (etc.) and Eircom or that customers are being effected countrywide. They say there's noone as a consumer we can contact to find out anything about it - basically - tough. BT say it's a problem with Eircom and they're in negotiations, revolves around bitstream customers - said I could apply to upgrade to LLU connection - but I'd have to pay - that make sense???

Really driving me bonkers at this stage 3 mobile is faster...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>tracert www.bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.253.67]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 19 ms 19 ms 20 ms bas508.cwt.esat.net [19]
    2 19 ms 18 ms 20 ms vlan500.rt501.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.124]
    3 18 ms 19 ms 20 ms vlan51.rt001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.137]
    4 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms ge0-0.core001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.1]
    5 46 ms 49 ms 52 ms pos2-0.br001.ldn.esat.net [193.95.131.14]
    6 34 ms 35 ms 32 ms bbc-gw0-linx.prt0.thdoe.bbc.co.uk [195.66.224.10
    3]
    7 33 ms 32 ms 32 ms 212.58.238.153
    8 35 ms 36 ms 35 ms te12-1.hsw1.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [212.58.239.234]
    9 37 ms 36 ms 36 ms www-vip.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [212.58.253.67]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>

Theis is my traceroute.

I have been regulary cut off particulary since upgrade.

BT support mantra "Oh you are 5.6 Kilomotres from the exchange"

They have downgraded me from Pack 3 to Pack 1,
    as they insisted that my connection would
    synch better at 1 MB.

Its not a bit better!

Does 5.6 K. make it difficult to get broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tim131

This is ridiculous, I'm on option three, and my router syncs a 22MB and am getting this:

321130854.png

I'm on a 78. IP address, and cannot get rid of it.

Before I contacted BT to change me to a 24MB exchange I was fine, but now... :(

I think I'll give 'em an earful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It shouldn't Im about 7k from my exchange and when it does eventually sync with a non 78.XX ip addy its fine. But with a 78.XX ip i may aswell be on a 14.4k baud modem. At this stage id be happy with a 512k line of old with decent pings. I do all my downloading in work anyway.

I mailed BT last night telling them that I was seriously unhappy with the service. I, once again, told them I was unhappy at the speed of the service at peak times. But also went over the recent problem where speeds even off peak are appalling. Brought up the 78.xx IP address issue so they couldn't bulls**t.

Now, I never received a response before so I didn't expect one now. Called BT this morning and told them I wanted to cancel the service, it was appalling, and I was moving to another provider.

The magic word: cancel

I missed a call from their cancellation team at lunch and I just got this reply email:

We are aware of an intermittent performance issue affecting some of our Consumer BT Broadband customers at peak times. This issue is currently being investigated by our network experts. We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused. At the moment the estimated fix time is Thursday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

quad_red wrote: »
    I mailed BT last night telling them that I was seriously unhappy with the service. I, once again, told them I was unhappy at the speed of the service at peak times. But also went over the recent problem where speeds even off peak are appalling. Brought up the 78.xx IP address issue so they couldn't bulls**t.

Now, I never received a response before so I didn't expect one now. Called BT this morning and told them I wanted to cancel the service, it was appalling, and I was moving to another provider.

I missed a call from their cancellation team at lunch and I just got this reply email:

We are aware of an intermittent performance issue affecting some of our Consumer BT Broadband customers at peak times. This issue is currently being investigated by our network experts. We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused. At the moment the estimated fix time is Thursday afternoon.
    Great find mate, seems to match the next batch of upgrades whicha re also scheduled for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

afraid it wasnt the threat of cancellation, i got the same email, all i did was mail them 2 nights ago, complaining about the service, and pointing out the 78 thing

Dear Phillip,

Regards,

*Insert agent's name here*| BT Residential Technical Support | www.btireland.ie/help | 1890 923 111

phill106 wrote: »
    afraid it wasnt the threat of cancellation, i got the same email, all i did was mail them 2 nights ago, complaining about the service, and pointing out the 78 thing

:P And there was I feeling all special.

So it's something to do with them upgrading the network?

ie. So my supposedly 3 meg line (found an email from August which said we were being upgraded) which usually tops out at around 1 meg, has now collapsed to 150kb/s so other people can get 7/12/24 meg lines?

I am not amused.

:P And there was I feeling all special.

So it's something to do with them upgrading the network?

ie. So my supposedly 3 meg line (found an email from August which said we were being upgraded) which usually tops out at around 1 meg, has now collapsed to 150kb/s so other people can get 7/12/24 meg lines?

I am not amused.
    Maybe they have come up with a fix and are implementing it along with the Phase 3 upgrades.
    phill106 wrote:
    Dear Phillip,

Philip, you should remove the BT tech's name, mods don't like it as far as I know.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Maybe they have come up with a fix and are implementing it along with the Phase 3 upgrades.

Philip, you should remove the BT tech's name, mods don't like it as far as I know.

done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

This is my 3MB service:

321154236.png

My 3meg service:
    321189103.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

My BT connection has ben down for about 6 hours. Went off about 10am and came back on around half an hour ago. I thought "they must be doing something major to improve things" and have just done a quick check..

Pings are a lot better, well, better than they were when they were 200-500ms.. :D

321188763.png

But the speeds are still CRAP!!! :(

Limerick is no better...

321189449.png

they all seem universally mediocre tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My alleged 4mb connection this evening:-

321242120.png

This should be OK for browsing but you tube and any websites with graphics just are terrible Youtube is unusable last couple of days.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

They've never returned my emails.

The last time I called the twat on the other end of the line insisted that he would not escalate the issue until I 'reset my modem', because this was most likely affecting the speed.

The fact that (at the time) the speed problems were all at peak times was inconsequential to him.

I hate BT. But the only alternative is those thieving clowns at Eircom.

Oh, how NTL & Smart hath forsaken our quiet corner of Dublin. :p

Think I'll wait another 2 months untill my contract is up with BT and then switch to magnet like you. Does magnet not share exchanges with other companies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Alleged 3Mbit line, 213.* IP address:

321245893.png

they all seem universally mediocre tonight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

just found this in BT support section

http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=337&p_created=1085137638&p_sid=Gwyh4xdj&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD00NTAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

Why are my broadband speeds so slow?

** 08/09/2008 NETWORK UPDATE **

We are aware of an intermittent performance issue affecting some of our Consumer BT Broadband customers at peak times. This issue is currently being investigated by our network experts.

If you are experiencing slowness on your BT Broadband connection at peak times, please click here to send an email to our support team along with the following details:

Your name
    Broadband circuit phone number
    Date and time you encountered performance issues
    Public IP address - this can be obtained by visiting the site www.whatsmyip.org
    Websites to which you experienced these issues
    Operating System - e.g. Windows XP, Mac OS10.5 etc.
    Broadband Router Model - e.g. Voyager 2110, ZyXEL P660HW-D1, Netopia etc.

We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused. At the moment there is no estimated fix time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've marked in my calender the date i need to move from Esat, painful lesson learned...over billing, under performing product, worse than useless customer care, never ever again.
    I have no doubt they wil continue to bill me even after I move....it would be funny if it wasn't me caught in the headlights :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'm on IP 213, ping is 320ms, can't even run speedtest my net is that slow now.

BT say it will be fixed Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

I have to say pre-upgrade there were absolutely fine speed wise.
    no disconnects, solid predicable speed that was never affected by peak time.

billing was a joke from day one. only time i ever got anything from them in writing was an overdue notice.

going to give them a bit more time i am getting 6 megs down on a good day but that's less than half of what i should be getting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Supercell wrote: »
    Youtube is unusable last couple of days.

I have this problem a lot of the time too.I use this.It helps the majority of videos but there just seem to be some videos that cant be speeded up

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Service improved greatly for me tonight (on a 78 address if that makes any difference) - youtube vids loading like they should, back to ~20ms pings to boards.ie etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

this is happening to UTV customers too( in the UTV speed problem thread ), speedtest.net for limerick was giving me 77kbps download, galway fluctuating between ~700-2400kbps download/~315 upload for my 4Mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

my god, what a f***-up!

Advertisement