Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

As I said before they believe that the issue is resolved and that you should call/email in if it is not.

So Profiler / DECEiFER have you made contact with BT??
    Profiler wrote: »
    (edit - I typed that before DECEiFER posted his reply but the ******** connection dropped ****** out ***** again!!!!)

Is your connection Intermittant, as that is not the issue here. Intermittancy could be the reason why you are geting slow speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

on 3mb connection in drogheda here, did 2 tests today - both times downloading ubuntu from heanet via ftp on the 78.x.x.x range 20knps max
    reboot modem for an 194 or 193 address speed goes up and steadys out at over 600kbps :eek:

calex71 wrote: »
    78.x.x.x range 20knps max

Do you know if you are on Bitstream (Up to 7.6 Meg) or LLU (Up to 24 Meg)

Do you know which BAS box you are one

Do a tracert anywhere remote and it will tell you

Thats if you get back onto 78 address.

I'd wait until tomorrow so that you get your full usage for 24 hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Still not on my 8MB.

FTPesatDownload.jpg?t=1221252795

Took about 20 minutes to get up to that speed as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

aktelmiele wrote: »
    Do you know if you are on Bitstream (Up to 7.6 Meg) or LLU (Up to 24 Meg)

Do you know which BAS box you are one

Do a tracert anywhere remote and it will tell you

Thats if you get back onto 78 address.

I'd wait until tomorrow so that you get your full usage for 24 hours!!

on bitstream currently on bas002 but not rebooting to test on 78.x range as there needs to be some hay made while the sunshines so to speek :D will follow up with that in a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

My connection is at its worst so far:
    322443902.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ripcat

Getting crap speeds here also.(kilcullen/kildare exchange) Speedtest to New York server shows 80kbps on a 6Mbit line on 215.x IP. Sent email to BT and get the usual sh*t that they will contact me monday-friday during normal working hours haha. Maybe i should take the week off waiting for them to call............

off to reset router for the 100th time tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

As I said before they believe that the issue is resolved

Going to go straight ahead and call bulls*it on that. I've caught them lying on 4 occasions already. They tried to blame this on the floods on the 9th of August and each time they did I pointed out my initial complaint was made at 10:00am on Saturday the 9th of August and the rain didn't start until 16:30pm that day.

Yes, only over 20 times (by phone and e-mail) and I've not once got a straight answer.

I've been on to "tech support" and everything they've suggested has not worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've been on to "tech support" and everything they've suggested has not worked.
    on the options when you ring the support line did you press 1 or 2?

I think you might have pressed the wrong number and gotten through to chocolate teapot support by accident.

actually, oh wait.....

ALL the lines go there. :pac:

seriously though, when calling them up, has anyone figured out a number to call and a sequence of numbers to press so that you get through to an actual support person on your first try?

I've tried ringing a few different numbers and pressing different options to get through to various places but whatever I do I always end up on the phone to some dunce receptionist who insists on letting me explain my problem in as much detail and then decides to transfer me to some random department that's never who I need to speak to. :mad:

i'm a bitstream customer anyway, but tried downloading that iso link from the previous page and was getting a steady 800kb/sec which was okay. on a 192.122* address right now tho.

iirc the last time we had major problems like this a year (or a few, bit hazy on details) it was the 78 addresses that were borked then too. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

Well i'm going to ring tomorrow or the very first chance i get as tonight i hit a new record of bad connection. A total download speed of 155kbps out of 3mbps. My upload is 247kbps. I'v been having trouble for some time now but put in all down to the recent upgrade or my area to 3mbps. I'm not a heavy downloader but its a complete joke if i cant even browse the web. Hell my connection speed is so slow speedtest.ie almost wont load.

Download speed 155 Kbps
    Upload speed 271 Kbps
    QOS 71 %
    RTT 98 ms
    Max Delay 754 ms
    Download test s
    Upload test s

** also just readin about the 78.** ip's. there the ones i usually have. I better read through the entire thread, I'll do it in the morning.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »

i'm a bitstream customer anyway, but tried downloading that iso link from the previous page and was getting a steady 800kb/sec which was okay. on a 192.122* address right now tho.

iirc the last time we had major problems like this a year (or a few, bit hazy on details) it was the 78 addresses that were borked then too. :confused:
    I'm always on a 19x address all the time and its still awful for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I'm not a BT customer. I'm with UTV.

I referenced BT's article mainly for 2 reasons.

1. The problem is shared,
    2. UTV never, ever, did I say never, would take any initiative in writing their own. They haven't even updated their products' page, it's still showing the old speeds.

Yes I know, that means that UTV are worse than BT, for not addressing any known issues to their customers via their website.

I'd say we'll be waiting until next week at the very earliest for any true resolution. Nobody's fixing anything during the weekend! Well, I wouldn't imagine so, anyway.

P.S. Even now I can't get a steady 2.6Mb/s result on Speedtest.net (3Mb connection), it's jumping from 1.5-2.4Mb/s on the Galway and Dublin servers. It's 2am for Christ's sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

sorry i should have pointed out that i'm in ballintemple in cork. Early yesterday i have a 2.4 mbps download out of the 3. When i posted earlier i had 155 kbps, it is now 4am. There cannot possible be that many online and i have 619kbps dl speed. Something has gone arsewise somewhere.

Ripcat wrote: »
    Getting crap speeds here also.(kilcullen/kildare exchange) Speedtest to New York server shows 80kbps on a 6Mbit line

This is a suggestion and should be done by anybody who is speed checking differently

If you are going to use a site like speedtest.net then pick a server that is closest to you

Picking a server such as New York is just going to give an incorrect result unless you live in New York:p.

For BT customers I would suggest you use ftp.esat.net to check your transfer rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

THIS IS SUCH BULL****.

MY INTERNET IS NOT ONLY SLOW BUT KEEPS LOSING CONNECTION EVER FEW MINUTES.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WILL BT REFUND EVERYONE, I AM PAYING FOR A SERVICE AND NOT GETTING THE SERVICE

Picking a server such as New York is just going to give an incorrect result unless you live in New York:p.

Its crap for all the irish test servers. Also not much point having a 3mbit connection to a local server if it's own connection to the rest of the world is 100k.

22KBps from the ESAT FTP btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

It's no better here (2MB upgraded to 3MB), been on the phone to BT a few minutes ago "again!!". Guy I spoke to said the issued was fixed Thursday and that they have had no other calls this morning about speed problems and to call back later to see if they get any other calls of the same, yeah right :rolleyes:, what a pack of lies !

Anyone know what 4MB with Smart is like in Dundalk ?

322802799.png

d2cd7.jpg

downloadvc7.jpg

I have also been on the phone to Eircom and according to them the exchange (Dundalk) in my area has not been upgraded and they also did a test on my line to confirm that no upgraded has happened, what is going on ??

They have seemed to "fix" the problem in my exchange (kildare/kilcullen). Getting a steady 6 Mbit for last 2-3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just after getting a call back from BT, the guy I spoke to confirmed that the problem is with their equipment, that they are trying to find and resolve the issue and have no idea of when or if they can fix it. Least I got an honest answer this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I'm on a 78 ip at the mo and getting really bad speed.
    Anyone have an idiots guide on how I can change it. Do I just restart the pc???

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm on a 78 ip and connected at 13mb though speedtests says about 10mbit.

Restarting your pc will do nothing, you'd need to disconnect and reconnect your router to change your ip. No idea if it will change it though. Depends on the lease length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Restarted my laptop and when it came back on it had a 192.xxx IP and full speed!!!!

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    I'm on a 78 ip and connected at 13mb though speedtests says about 10mbit.

Do you know what BAS box that you are on??

At least there is another person that is on a 78 address and not getting slow speeds.

I thought I was just one of the lucky ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 antonian

323055825.png

On a 3Mb package with a 78.x.x.x address just now. Is it fixed? Here's hoping! :confused:

antonian wrote: »

On a 3Mb package with a 78.x.x.x address just now. Is it fixed? Here's hoping! :confused:

You need to watch it, I have been getting some good speeds from time to time but then during peak times it drops down to painfully slow and also more than once it will drop out completely.

You need to watch it, I have been getting some good speeds from time to time but then during peak times it drops down to painfully slow and also more than once it will drop out completely.
    There's less people using the network at the weekend, thats why your speeds are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Do you know what BAS box that you are on??
    No idea what a BAS box is :p

cian1500ww wrote: »
    There's less people using the network at the weekend, thats why your speeds are better.

Well thanks for that... (i think)

What about the times past midnight when the speed goes to a crawl? what about the times during the weekday morning when the connection drops out completely?

Well thanks for that... (i think)

What about the times past midnight when the speed goes to a crawl? what about the times during the weekday morning when the connection drops out completely?
    The speed improves after midnight, the weekday morning is probably due to the number of businesses who use the internet

• Advertisement

cian1500ww wrote: »
    The speed improves after midnight, the weekday morning is probably due to the number of businesses who use the internet

Right so you work for BT then.

I mean if you can be so categoric in your answers at the same time as being condescending and patronising and wrong if you don't yet work there then you'd have a stellar career there if you wanted one.

The speeds are intermittant even since this "fix" and the drop out, not slow speed, I mean NO INTERNET connection issues are nothing to do with businesses using the internet.

Advertisement