Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

13468926

Comments



  • aktelmiele wrote: »
    I would suggest emailing or ringing in and asking to have interleaving turned off. That shuld givr you a better connection while gaming online.

    And if I ask them that, will they know what im talking about?




  • Elem wrote: »
    And if I ask them that, will they know what im talking about?


    no they wont...well sorry..i should say yes BUT!

    Eircom, controls all Internet (unless you 24meg ie not other servers)

    so they just emailed me saying..its eircoms fault..and lookin into it..

    which means...feck off..!

    we cant do anything(BT!)

    m.

    ps: Remember the quote..if u get you ip to 200+.x.x.x...its working
    to a degree ..ie i got 72ms! just now..normally got 115 ish !

    got lucky twice? hummm...




  • For me, my 3MB is so bad that I may just go back to dial up :mad:




  • I found my speeds very good since Friday, but no doubt they will prob be back to a crawl tonight.




  • mattman wrote: »
    no they wont...well sorry..i should say yes BUT!

    Eircom, controls all Internet (unless you 24meg ie not other servers)

    so they just emailed me saying..its eircoms fault..and lookin into it..

    which means...feck off..!

    we cant do anything(BT!)

    m.

    ps: Remember the quote..if u get you ip to 200+.x.x.x...its working
    to a degree ..ie i got 72ms! just now..normally got 115 ish !

    got lucky twice? hummm...


    I think he said he had 24 Meg BB so that would mean that BT would be able to do it. Its just with the normal up to 8 Meg BB that is totally owned by Eircom


  • Advertisement


  • Kahless wrote: »
    I've been getting throttle-like speeds much of the time the last couple of days too. I just tried what you said there and it does appear to be true. It was slow on 78.16 and when I eventually connected with something different, the speed went back to normal.


    I have had a similar problem for over a year. Any time we ar eon a 78. IP address i get 56k speeds. Have spent hours on the phone to BT about it but the mornos have no idea. I would change to someone else, but ill only end up with another reseller...




  • Manties wrote: »
    I have had a similar problem for over a year. Any time we ar eon a 78. IP address i get 56k speeds. Have spent hours on the phone to BT about it but the mornos have no idea. I would change to someone else, but ill only end up with another reseller...

    switch to eircom i suppose then?

    m.




  • mattman wrote: »
    switch to eircom i suppose then?

    m.


    I'd rather have no broadband then have Eircon. I was on them once before, the experience was so bad i'd never go back even as a last resort.




  • mattman wrote: »
    switch to eircom i suppose then?

    m.
    But these problems are indirectly caused by Eircom because of lack of investment in their infrastucture.

    Boo




  • patto_chan wrote: »
    I did a speedtest recently for the first time in ages and was surprised to see my former 3MB connection has now been upgraded. I know BT and other providers are touting faster speeds but hadn't expected my exchange to be upgraded yet. (I'm in Athy, South Kildare.)

    319258088.png

    The result above is the best I've seen in recent days but other times download measures at 4,500 kb/s or above. It fluctuates depending in traffic I presume.
    Previously when I was on 3MB I used to get 2,600 kb/s or so download speed.

    I've also just checked the speed of my connection on IrishISPtest.ie.
    It shows similar results.
    Sweet. :cool:
    Yes Patto,
    We are all getting similar results and higher. The problem is that the connections ar not consistant, and the ping speeds to some sites make it unusable at times.

    I have had readings of over 6 megabits and still not been able to watch a youtube video without waiting ages.

    Boo


  • Advertisement


  • 96.xx.xx.xx

    Bad pings, unusable

    100-194

    bad pings

    200+

    Great, normal.

    194 ip

    Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59

    Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 36ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 37ms

    200+

    Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=59

    Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 18ms




  • I thought it was just me.
    Just got my bt bb today (7.6mb)and doing a speed test i get the following but still cant get things like youtube to stream correctly.
    Is there any settings I can change with my router to make it faster
    320237559.png




  • Youtube does seem to be a bit of a common problem alright.Some videos are fine and some are so slow that i have to use an accelerator.




  • Have been going through troubleshooting with BT recently.Strangely enough they started the process by ringing me to tell me they had detected problems with my line (There is a first)

    Anyway i am on the 24Mb unbundled and have found the following.

    1. Does not matter about the IP address
    2. Does not matter about the time of day
    3. Only matters about how long the router has been on.

    IE. If i turn off my router for 30 min i get great speeds for about 36 hours.

    Thought it might be the router but tried another one and had the same issue.

    Also found that speedtest.net is useless.

    [IMG]http://[/img]320275280.png

    While the above test seems like it might be right, i am only syncing at 18Mb and no way am i getting real life speeds that high.

    Only true test is to download a file from 320275280.png

    I know the Eircom Guys are working 7 days at the moment

    Shane




  • Getting f**king appalling speeds tonight.This is from a 1mb BT connection btw

    320286508.png




  • Zonda999 wrote: »
    Getting f**king appalling speeds tonight.This is from a 1mb BT connection btw

    320286508.png

    Yep. Me too. Was quite good for a while. Guessed it wouldn't last though.

    Back to syncing at 4Mb and not 8MB and speed is bloody crap again.:(

    Actually speed is not the worst it has been. Pings though...

    320297370.png




  • dragging here too.




  • very bad in shannon, no connection on 78 addresses, very very slow on 198 addresses..




  • Still can't get rid of my 78 :(




  • i had to restart connection rather then router to get it.


  • Advertisement


  • 24MB is fine during the day, after 6pm it becomes 512k.. amazing. Do they have a bunch of monkeys working around the clock on this one?




  • I am with Perlico, was going to switch to BT!!!!!!!.




  • I've had this issue from early last week.

    When I called they tried to tell me it was my firewall.
    When I told them I wasn't running one, then they said it was due to contention.
    I argued that 'contention' should never get to the point of a 3Mb connection dropping below 56K dial up speeds, and if so, it's a problem they need to address.
    They must have been having a lot of calls like mine as I realized that they didn't even ask for any account info at the start of the call.

    The csr then had me download an img from one of their servers, which of course would download fast. That's when they told me it must be a firewall issue again. It seems we must all be running the exact same firewall with the same restrictions.


    Over the last week, its been slow and fast at random times.
    Tonight it's just intolerable.
    speedtest.net results:

    258kb/s down
    540kb/s up


    On a 78.x.x.x ip
    Anybody have any more info or updates about what is causing the issue and/or when they plan to fix it?

    If this keeps up I might argue payment contention as the reason to not pay full amount.




  • DrChoda wrote: »
    I've had this issue from early last week.

    When I called they tried to tell me it was my firewall.
    When I told them I wasn't running one, then they said it was due to contention.
    I argued that 'contention' should never get to the point of a 3Mb connection dropping below 56K dial up speeds, and if so, it's a problem they need to address.
    They must have been having a lot of calls like mine as I realized that they didn't even ask for any account info at the start of the call.

    The csr then had me download an img from one of their servers, which of course would download fast. That's when they told me it must be a firewall issue again. It seems we must all be running the exact same firewall with the same restrictions.


    Over the last week, its been slow and fast at random times.
    Tonight it's just intolerable.
    speedtest.net results:

    258kb/s down
    540kb/s up


    On a 78.x.x.x ip
    Anybody have any more info or updates about what is causing the issue and/or when they plan to fix it?

    If this keeps up I might argue payment contention as the reason to not pay full amount.

    keep restarting your connection, untill you get a different ip range. 198s work for me, 78's are crap.




  • I had my doubts that getting a new ip would fix the speed issues. Figured if it had to do with ip's and routing that bt would have fixed it by now?
    Surprise surprise.

    Had a 78.x.x.x
    Pulled line from the router for about 10mins or so
    now have a 194.x.x.x

    Speedtest.net
    6535kb/s down
    554kb/s up

    :eek:




  • It was slow for me, download speeds of 200kbps on a 3meg connection. A simple reboot of the router solved it though (still on 78.***.***.*** IP)

    320338167.png




  • Fastest it's been in a few days :( 2 megs my ass

    320355155.png

    Can't get Smart or NTL.

    Would Eircom be any faster?




  • quad_red wrote: »
    Fastest it's been in a few days :( 2 megs my ass

    320355155.png

    Can't get Smart or NTL.

    Would Eircom be any faster?

    I doubt it, they operate on the same line.




  • Guys, I am getting the same speedtest.net results as the rest of you, however a download from heanet gets me 620kB/s


  • Advertisement


  • Its always better in the morning, when i'm on the least of the time:mad:

    320559653.png

    Hold on, I'm not with IOL!!!.Make no mistake, thats a 1mb BT connection!!


Advertisement