Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 3 - Vetting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Zzoop wrote: »
    Ah yes, Ofcourse! "The 3 week return period"

That's it then. If they haven't recieved word back from you within those 3 weeks I'm sure they would send out a letter or something.

Sorted!

Is it not two weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

yeah you have to send it back within three weeks or else if may result in your application being stopped.

could be two weeks I cant remember, its something like that. Most people send it back within hours though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Zzoop

..Well, 2 weeks then.

Problem solved anyway. I'm a freak-out king.

Zzoop wrote: »
    ..Well, 2 weeks then.

Problem solved anyway. I'm a freak-out king.

Waiting to join the police will torture you then :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Zzoop

Waiting to join the police will torture you then :D

Haha - yeah - the amount of crazy things that go through your head. Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FootyFan24

Hey guys, just wondering, do we have to wait for the A/C full results to come through in september to find out what score we got?

FootyFan24 wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering, do we have to wait for the A/C full results to come through in september to find out what score we got?

Think its October before scores are sent out but we should know merit pool by end of Sept:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FootyFan24

Excellent. Totally bricking the vetting though. Mate of mine got the call on Monday for a Sept start in Garnerville. But that was from last years application. Can't believe it takes so long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 --thepirate--

Hi all:)

Feeling a bit dull and gloomy today.Just been reading through most of this vetting section.It seems ill never pass vetting.I had a rough period in my life three years back(my father died)and my life went into chaos for some time.I ended up leaving my job and as a knock on effect have unpaid loans .So now ill have bad credit history and such so can forget about the dream.This feels so s**t

• Advertisement

Hi all:)

Feeling a bit dull and gloomy today.Just been reading through most of this vetting section.It seems ill never pass vetting.I had a rough period in my life three years back(my father died)and my life went into chaos for some time.I ended up leaving my job and as a knock on effect have unpaid loans .So now ill have bad credit history and such so can forget about the dream.This feels so s**t

go to www.creditexpert.co.uk and order a copy of your credit score/report online.

Bad credit rating may not affect your chances if you are actively being seen to repay or your rating may not be as bad as you think.

However if you do fail vetting then ask why and then you'll know but try not to worry in the meantime.

thanks mrsgenehunt:)

I still think I done for.I have these loans nows a few years and have missed repayments more times than a duck has been in water:Dcud make a mad burst at repaying them now but dont reckon it would have any affect really.So what am I to do.I personally think its irrelavant a persons financial situation.What are they looking for???Alter boys to grace the Police service?Like I said before,the 1st recruitment process should be a rigorus fitness test..The streets are awash with enough over-weight cops.Its not the image the public need.Like I look at some of the guys I train in the gym with and let me tell you if they were police officers you wouldnt mess with them but when its porky pig eating his dognut and washing it down with 'coke zero',come on its time to get these slobs off the streets.Fair enough if they have the jobs in the offices.And dont get me wrong,im not discriminating,its just really,is the standard this bad?Is this the best we can get to protect and serve us?Quiet franky I look at some of the police and I rather not have to depend on them.This is just my opinion,but what do I know.

I still think I done for.I have these loans nows a few years and have missed repayments more times than a duck has been in water:Dcud make a mad burst at repaying them now but dont reckon it would have any affect really.So what am I to do.I personally think its irrelavant a persons financial situation.What are they looking for???Alter boys to grace the Police service?Like I said before,the 1st recruitment process should be a rigorus fitness test..The streets are awash with enough over-weight cops.Its not the image the public need.Like I look at some of the guys I train in the gym with and let me tell you if they were police officers you wouldnt mess with them but when its porky pig eating his dognut and washing it down with 'coke zero',come on its time to get these slobs off the streets.Fair enough if they have the jobs in the offices.And dont get me wrong,im not discriminating,its just really,is the standard this bad?Is this the best we can get to protect and serve us?Quiet franky I look at some of the police and I rather not have to depend on them.This is just my opinion,but what do I know.

Right, the reason credit check is run is that theoritically, someone with a lot of debt or money worries, could, and again I stress IN THEORY, be more open to bribes and that sort of stuff etc etc

As a police officer you have to be of the utmost moral integrity - for example, if you pulled over a car and the driver was not only drunk but a friend of yours......
    The way I see it, you wear the uniform and you are a Police Officer first and foremost, and have to carry our the duties required, and yes, even if this means you have to bust your friends.

As for the whole fitness thing, appearances can be deceptive. My ex is very overweight but still fit.

But you're entitled to your opinion, as are we all.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

I think that type of attitude is very wrong.
    Does being buff and hard looking mean you will be a good officer? Being a police officer involves a lot more than looking big and strong. Some of the best detectives are of small stature and maybe classed as overweight. A mate of mine is very overweight and he can out run me(not in speed) but he can run 9 miles non stop which is something I can only dream off.

Plus one of the qualities for a police officer is respect for diversity.......which you have not demonstrated to well here.

Alan

I by no means what to cause an argument.That is not why I expressed my opinion.I mean that,of course respect for diversity is a major quality any police officer can have.But many overweight peolple may have this and many other qualities but does that mean they can be police officers?I can run all day and also sprint and indeed have great soccer skills.Does that mean I can be a soccer player if I am overweight?As I said I am by no means discriminating anyone in any way.I myself was overweight and had to hit the gym and have so for the past 2 years.So often nowadays a blind eye is turned.To the society we live in,just look at our children,the next generation.No emphasis is placed on exercise,the eat what the want when they want.Im just say and do 100% agree with alanbefast that some of our best police men and women are small and overweight.But why not get a regime together to tackle this situation.I understand but may not be correct in the matter,that once you enter the police force you never have to endure a fitness test again??I s this true??
    I had a friend of mine,a few months back,and this was on the radio.He was walking home one night up O'Connell street and two youths ran past him slashing him with a blade.Two Gardai were only 20-30 metres away when the youths legged it..They didnt even try to chase them???
    For me that is where I want my tax money going.Where I want to feel safe.If those two youths had been aprehended then it would lessen the chances of this incident repeating itself.I myself wouldnt walk the streets of dublin at night and I feel for the gardai that do because the scum of this city know the likes that patrol the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭jim2008

I think that type of attitude is very wrong.
    Does being buff and hard looking mean you will be a good officer? Being a police officer involves a lot more than looking big and strong. Some of the best detectives are of small stature and maybe classed as overweight. A mate of mine is very overweight and he can out run me(not in speed) but he can run 9 miles non stop which is something I can only dream off.

Plus one of the qualities for a police officer is respect for diversity.......which you have not demonstrated to well here.

Alan

Alan i do agree with you but he does have a point, i know i would prefer a strong fit officer with me at 3am on a sat night when trying to arrest some scum bag off his head on drugs who has just stabbed someone. I believe it is so important for an officer to mantain and improve fitness levels from training, i also find it hard to believe that regular fitness assessments are not carried out during an officers career. What is the point off the fitness training carried out in the first six months if this is not continued? Your friend may be able to run for 9 miles but this would never be required during an officers duty it would more than likely to be sprints and running short distance at a quick pace, so better off keeping body fat down and fitness levels up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

jim2008 wrote: »
    Alan i do agree with you but he does have a point, i know i would prefer a strong fit officer with me at 3am on a sat night when trying to arrest some scum bag off his head on drugs who has just stabbed someone. I believe it is so important for an officer to mantain and improve fitness levels from training, i also find it hard to believe that regular fitness assessments are not carried out during an officers career. What is the point off the fitness training carried out in the first six months if this is not continued? Your friend may be able to run for 9 miles but this would never be required during an officers duty it would more than likely to be sprints and running short distance at a quick pace, so better off keeping body fat down and fitness levels up.

Why do you need to be built like a sh1t brick house to be a police officer??........ when you have a couple of other officers at your side, a hand gun in one hand and a batton in the other hand!:mad:

Lol

All joking aside, just because some one is 6ft 7" does not make them a better cop. If some one is drunk or off their head on drugs they wont care what size you are. Its all about how you use your head to deal with the situation........

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Why do you need to be built like a sh1t brick house to be a police officer??........ when you have a couple of other officers at your side, a hand gun in one hand and a batton in the other hand!:mad:

Lol

All joking aside, just because some one is 6ft 7" does not make them a better cop. If some one is drunk or off their head on drugs they wont care what size you are. Its all about how you use your head to deal with the situation........

Did i say build like a brick **** house?? I said fit and strong, someone who looks after themselves. And you might not have a couple of officers by your side might just be the two of you. Also someone who is drunk or off their head wont care what size you are thats my point, so its at times like this when you need a strong officer beside you. Dont think it would look to good Gee if you started hitting someone with a batton cause he/she was drunk and you could not control them. I agree that a good police officer should be able you use his/her head and deal with a situation but there will be many times over a police officers duty when force has to be used. So better to be fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Gee-22 wrote: »
    just because some one is 6ft 7" does not make them a better cop. If some one is drunk or off their head on drugs they wont care what size you are. Its all about how you use your head to deal with the situation........

Some of you guys watch too much tv. This job isn't just about taking down "the bad guys"! One of the most important roles of the police officer is being able to communicate (both talking and listening).

I'm tall and in good shape, but I really don't think that is gonna help when it comes to the job.

The days of "you're big, you have what it takes to be a great policeman" are over.

carlty888 wrote: »
    Some of you guys watch too much tv. This job isn't just about taking down "the bad guys"! One of the most important roles of the police officer is being able to communicate (both talking and listening).

I'm tall and in good shape, but I really don't think that is gonna help when it comes to the job.

The days of "you're big, you have what it takes to be a great policeman" are over.

Being able to communicate is the most important part of being a police officer. But this will not work every single time and any one who think it will should rethink their career choice. Of course being in good shape will help you for your job as a police officer, the benefits of good health is endless, better energy levels for a start and how will this not help you as an officer carlty??? Also being in good shape will really help when trying to arrest someone aggressive when talking will no longer work.

• Advertisement

I cant even count the number of times I have watched some of those uk police programs, street crime uk etc and the police are trying to catch someone and can barely break out into a decent paced jog, I would be sprinting as fast as I could right away to catch the person. Also seen it one time where police man actually had a man in his hands and was going to arrest him and he ran off (drunk) and the police man made a half hearted attempt to go after and then just stopped. Pathetic really, the guy got away because the police man wasnt strong and fast enough to keep hold of him.

I think instead of getting officers to run x miles at a slow ridiculous pace they should focus more on making sure they are able to run the 100 and 200 metres in a good time.

There is more to the job than being strong and fast, but if the government is going to spend the time and money making a police force, and people are supposed to have faith in it then I think those who join should have to pass stricter physical testing and maintain it alot better, and not let it all go away a year or two down the line when the pressure of being watched is off them.

jim2008 wrote: »
    Did i say build like a brick **** house?? I said fit and strong, someone who looks after themselves. And you might not have a couple of officers by your side might just be the two of you. Also someone who is drunk or off their head wont care what size you are thats my point, so its at times like this when you need a strong officer beside you. Dont think it would look to good Gee if you started hitting someone with a batton cause he/she was drunk and you could not control them. I agree that a good police officer should be able you use his/her head and deal with a situation but there will be many times over a police officers duty when force has to be used. So better to be fit.

As i said i was joking about the batton etc.

As a qualified fitness instructor and some one who has been working in the fitness industry for nearly ten years i fully understand all the benefits of looking after your fitness. But the point i was trying to make was just becuase some one is built like a s*** brick house will not automaticaly make them better than some one half their size.....

I dont think anyone is arguing a point been health and fit makes you a better police officer.But I have a car and to ensure it does its job to its best I have to service it on a regular basis.Likewise I believe our police officers should be 'serviced' regularly.Your serving the public,they pay your wages.I agree with the person who said the day of "your big,you'd make a good policeman"is over but I also want to see the day of were the streets are patroled by overweight,unhealthy men or women.I mean last weekend I seen a police car outside MCDonalds at 1am.I tought there was a fight but no..out came an overweight cop with enough happy meals to feed a small army.Im not just saying food wise,I myself noticed my physical health was at a low 2years ago.I therefore quiet smoking and completly lowered my alcohol intake.Its about personal responsibility,personal health.I myself have seen a young man I knew get into the Gardai and within 2-3 months I seen him out in the pub skulling pints of Guinness and I swear he must have gained at least 2 stone:eek:
    I look at these men as glorifiedtraffic wardens,overpaid slobs.
    If you believe you have what it takes to be a police officer,a servant to the public then its time you man up and get in shape.Is it that much to ask for?That much to expect?

I dont think anyone is arguing a point been health and fit makes you a better police officer.But I have a car and to ensure it does its job to its best I have to service it on a regular basis.Likewise I believe our police officers should be 'serviced' regularly.Your serving the public,they pay your wages.I agree with the person who said the day of "your big,you'd make a good policeman"is over but I also want to see the day of were the streets are patroled by overweight,unhealthy men or women.I mean last weekend I seen a police car outside MCDonalds at 1am.I tought there was a fight but no..out came an overweight cop with enough happy meals to feed a small army.Im not just saying food wise,I myself noticed my physical health was at a low 2years ago.I therefore quiet smoking and completly lowered my alcohol intake.Its about personal responsibility,personal health.I myself have seen a young man I knew get into the Gardai and within 2-3 months I seen him out in the pub skulling pints of Guinness and I swear he must have gained at least 2 stone:eek:
    I look at these men as glorifiedtraffic wardens,overpaid slobs.
    If you believe you have what it takes to be a police officer,a servant to the public then its time you man up and get in shape.Is it that much to ask for?That much to expect?

I have to say i have not seen to many over weight psni officers out on the street maybe the gardai are different.

I have seen psni in a Mcdonalds drive through, but at the end of the day they dont get alot of time for breaks and have to eat on the go. They cant cant go back to the station and grill some salmon and boil some veg.

I appreciate you all have views on this but the vetting board isnt the place for them.
    Can you relocate this discussion to the general or lads thread?

Theres a lot of debate about vetting at the minute post AC and newbies will be swamped with lots of irrelevant postings.

Ta:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Back to the point the --the pitate-- made, i think the credit check is a way for them to build up a picture of who you are and as long as you aren't in arrears of 20grand or so you will be fine..... also made me think that given the current situation with the "credit crunch" more and more people are going to be defaulting on their loans and essentially only the very very rich will be able to support themselves and only they will be able to join the police.....

just a thought it probably won't make sense to anyone else but it does in my head lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

I'm worried myself that IF i do get to the vetting stage It could be the end for me. I do have a very large mortgage and other loans too. However I do have a clean credit record (never missed any payments on loan repayments etc) but with such a large mortgage etc they (vetting) may not look favorably on me. :(

DustyMan wrote: »
    I'm worried myself that IF i do get to the vetting stage It could be the end for me. I do have a very large mortgage and other loans too. However I do have a clean credit record (never missed any payments on loan repayments etc) but with such a large mortgage etc they (vetting) may not look favorably on me. :(

I dont know for certain if the amount you owe goes against you. BUT you do have a clean credit record so personally, I think you'll be okay.

I think CCJs, defaults and arrears are things that bring up the red flag so to speak.

All you can do when you get the vetting forms, is be honest, send it away and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

Hi,

On the vetting forms, where it asks for your parents current address, and previous addresses for the past 10 years....

do you leave it blank if your parents have lived in their current address for well over 10yrs?

Or write "same as current" ? or just write their current address in again? or "n/a" ??

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

I put N/A , i think :) Actually i may have just filled in the current address again to be sure. Cant actually remember. Sorry. This is a pointless post, no help to you

Advertisement