Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism: how can you be so sure?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Dades wrote: »
    Oh, I'm sorry - did I misread this post of yours?

You misread the question in it, yes..

In any case, I agree that regarding such an assessment as impossible is fair enough, maybe best to just leave it at that. :)
    I have given you the benefit of the doubt, but you will leave me no choice if you continue your troll like behavior.

Okay, I can well understand how some of the posts might be considered toll like, I'll make an effort to tone it down. Debating with a few people who throw the same illogical argument at you repeatedly and try to drag you off in tangents is really very frustrating though, and in fairness where people did refrain from such tactics I kept the the replies courteous, whether I agreed with them or not.

Apart from the use of ad hominem, the rest of the content was genuine and not intended to be troll like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You gotta love this line of reasoning: 'We don't know how the universe was created yet, therefore it must have been a creator'
    Reminds me of the Eddie Izzard segment in the Secret Policeman's Ball. Can't remember the exact words but a small extract goes along the lines of....."so we have the theory of evolution, it's a theory and it has a few problems, there are a number of holes. So we take those holes and fill them with fcuking magic......" Excellent performance if you can get your hands on it.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

maybe best to just leave it at that.
    Indeed.

Indeed.

Okay, apologies for my comment about delusions, that was OTT.

However, suggesting that my question at best be asked in another forum if at all is also troll like.

The phrase "double standards" comes to mind for no particular reason.

Looks like it'll be exceptionally difficult to defend any point of view here in future because of this, thus I might as well be barred.

Thanks for the debate and see ye in the next life! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Seeya mate

• Advertisement

Looks like it'll be exceptionally difficult to defend any point of view here in future because of this, thus I might as well be barred.
    You keep fighting the powah. I'm not banning you just so you feel more oppressed.

You've said you're leaving, so best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

However, suggesting that my question at best be asked in another forum if at all is also troll like.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

To state that god is 'simple' within his/it's own definition is a tougher pill to swallow than his existence in the first place :)
    I'm out of my depth on this one but it intuitively it makes sense to me. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_simplicity
    Things can 'come into being' without having been 'created' with intent.
    How can something come from nothing unless it is created? Please explain.

The alternative is that the universe came from a previous universe or is a one of many universes within a super universe and that the universe(s)/super universe has always existed in some shape or form.

This is one for the philosophy forum but I would expect that something which changes, e.g. our universe, can't exist eternally. Science confirms that the universe had a beginning. Science can't answer the question as to what happened before the big bang so we have the hand the question over to theologians and philosophers.
    Why attribute things we don't yet understand to a supernatural being?
    I really don't see how it's possible that the universe has existed eternally. Wouldn't this imply that the universe would have reached a state of maximum entrophy and would be just some kind of big homogenous blob? Again I really don't know. I need to think about this a bit more. Or maybe not lest my brain fries :)

kelly1 wrote: »
    I'm out of my depth on this one but it intuitively it makes sense to me. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_simplicity
    I am not particularly good at this stuff either, but I will give it a bash. I think you are talking about slightly different things here. Devine simplicity is not the same a scientific or real world simplicity. When Steve uses the term simple he is not talking about some christian god worshiping meaning of the word. He simply means simple. If you walk into a room and there is a laptop on a desk there are a number of things you can believe about how the laptop got there. You could believe that the last occupant of the room left it there, for example. You might also choose to believe that it magically appeared there. One of those options is simpler than the other. That someone left it there is a simpler explanation than it magically appeared. We already have the tools to explain how someone might leave it there, but we do not have the tools to explain how it was put there magically. Simple.
    Who knows? We don’t know enough to give an intelligent answer to that. Brains much bigger than ours are working on it. Maybe we will find out eventually.
    The alternative is that the universe came from a previous universe or is a one of many universes within a super universe and that the universe(s)/super universe has always existed in some shape or form.
    Maybe. Who knows….
    This is one for the philosophy forum but I would expect that something which changes, e.g. our universe, can't exist eternally. Science confirms that the universe had a beginning. Science can't answer the question as to what happened before the big bang so we have the hand the question over to theologians and philosophers.
    Just because science can’t answer the question does not mean we have to give up and say it is magic. Why do we have to hand it over to theologians and philosophers? Are they better at physics or something? And seriously, theologians? Why would we ask them what happened before the big bang?
    I really don't see how it's possible that the universe has existed eternally. Wouldn't this imply that the universe would have reached a state of maximum entrophy and would be just some kind of big homogenous blob? Again I really don't know. I need to think about this a bit more. Or maybe not lest my brain fries :)
    I expect that is why you, like most of us, are not theoretical physicists. We all have these questions. And they are really big questions. Personally I prefer to wait for science. I am comfortable with the thought that we don’t know everything. I am also comfortable with the thought that we may never know. I feel no urge to believe that some magical entity created it.

MrP

Science can't answer the question as to what happened before the big bang so we have the hand the question over to theologians and philosophers.
    Why don't they hammer out a cure for cancer while they're at it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

In quantum physics things come from nothing all the time. Of course it depends on how you define "nothing".
    Science can't answer the question as to what happened before the big bang so we have the hand the question over to theologians and philosophers.

Theologians and philosophers can't answer it either. They simply guess with no way of finding out if they are right or not. That is exactly what science doesn't do, which is a good thing.

And science can't answer the question now. It may in the future we don't know. It is as impossible to say it won't as it is to say it will.
    I really don't see how it's possible that the universe has existed eternally.
    That is really irrelevant to whether or not it has or hasn't. Most people can't understand the nature of the universe, even the geniuses who are working on the problem.

One of the first things to learn is that the universe is a lot weirder than humans can easily imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Why?

Jeez God of the gaps indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Can't win an argument? Scream conspiracy.

You keep fighting the powah. I'm not banning you just so you feel more oppressed.

You've said you're leaving, so best of luck.

This is exactly my point...

Just ignore my argument and make some remark about 'the powah' that also claims to know how I'm feeling.

Yet if I bring up the point of possible delusions regarding said claims - bing bong you're gone.

Just do the damn deed and follow your convictions for a change.

As for the other posters' little snide remarks, ehm, right.

Dave! You seem to be the only person here with a sense of humour, how do stand it? It was a pleasure debating with you, and best of luck!

This is exactly my point...

Just ignore my argument and make some remark about 'the powah' that also claims to know how I'm feeling.

Yet if I bring up the point of possible delusions regarding said claims - bing bong you're gone.

Just do the damn deed and follow your convictions for a change.

As for the other posters' little snide remarks, ehm, right.

Dave! You seem to be the only person here with a sense of humour, how do stand it? It was a pleasure debating with you, and best of luck!

You've blotted your copybook here lad. Uber-pwnership on a cosmic scale.

bing bong you're gone
    Nothing to see here anymore, people. Move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Then how can god exist? did god come from nothing or just exist? You say one thing but then allow yourself to apply a different rule to your god.

axer wrote: »
    Then how can god exist? did god come from nothing or just exist? You say one thing but then allow yourself to apply a different rule to your god.
    I've been claiming all along the God is eternal which implies that He was never created. There is no infinite chain of gods, just one eternal God. The only position I've changed is that I went from saying everything has a cause to saying everything except God has a cause.

BTW, it really bugs me when people say "your god". He's your God too!

I've been claiming all along the God is eternal which implies that He was never created. There is no infinite chain of gods, just one eternal God. The only position I've changed is that I went from saying everything has a cause to saying everything except God has a cause.

No, he is your god. Even if it exists, I want nothing to do with that malevolent prick. Now, I don't see how you can have a problem with the concept of an eternal universe, but not an eternal god. Why does the universe require creation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

OK, I see what you mean. So strictly speaking it's not true to say everything has a cause because God and only God breaks this rule. Does that make sense to you?

Ok, but the universe did have a beginning which surely means something created it out of nothing. The alternative is that the universe is eternal which raises all kinds of problems. I'm not a physicist but wouldn't the laws of thermodynamics exclude the possibility of an eternal universe?

I think that it is very hard for a human being to comprehend a place completely devoid of anything, including time. This is why we try to understand it by applying the rules of our universe and what we see around us when attempting to get our heads around it. I mean, I have already done it in the first sentence, by calling it a "place". This is why I would be reluctant to say that the beginning of the universe must have had a cause. It is very hard to comprehend how something may have came from nothing, because being human we assume that everything has a cause.

I think it may be similar to prehistoric man attempting to comprehend the stars.

I don't understand it, nobody else does, all we can do is speculate. For you you to state with any certainty that there must have been a creator is in my mind a complete fallacy.

I think what the argument boils down to is your Christian belief in a God, and that is a whole other matter.

• Advertisement

What would you have us say? He is not my god. If he did, which I very much doubt, exist why would any sane person want anything to do with such a petty, narrow minded, evil, manipulating, two faced cnut?

MrP

Jeez, people.

That's a lot of vitriol for something you don't believe is real.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's easier to hate imaginary friends, they don't have feelings to hurt.

--edit

also, kelly1 much <3.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I find comments like that unbelievably condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

robindch wrote: »
    Physicists simply don't know, though they are working on it.

Higgs boson baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

This thread is still going?
    Oh. Your. God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Exactly, you say God is the only exception to the rule without *any* proof whatsoever. How do you know this?
    Nope, he is not. I don't have a god. It really bugs me when people assume their god is ruler of everyone. I have gone independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That's a lot of vitriol for something you don't believe is real.

I think its more a chance to express incredulity to a believer that they could actually love/respect/obey the malefic tyrant presented in the Bible. The vitriol is unfairly being placed at the feet of an imaginary entity rather than those who adore him.

Sycophants. I wonder if so many people would profess love for God if he wasn't almighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Then everything doesn't have a cause. And if your god doesn't need a cause then surely there are other things that don't need a cause. I mean if something as complex as an emotional intelligence can exist without needing a cause, then anything can exist without needing a cause

Well he is your god. There are plenty of other gods out there that are a lot different to your one.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    Then everything doesn't have a cause. And if your god doesn't need a cause then surely there are other things that don't need a cause. I mean if something as complex as an emotional intelligence can exist without needing a cause, then anything can exist without needing a cause
    I already admitted in post #201 that everything doesn't have to have a cause with God being the only being without a cause.

What do you mean by emotional intelligence can exist without needing a cause?

Can you give any example of something that happens in this universe without a cause?

I asked a question earlier about an universe that exists eternally. Does anyone here think this is possible? What would the implications be? What would prevent things grinding to a halt? Isn't the inflation of our own universe accelerating?

Advertisement