Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

M8 - Cashel to Cullahill

  • 11-06-2008 2:46pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭ fitzgese


    Bit off yet, the NRA website says it's due to be finished Q2 2009, but anyone know if this is going to open as motorway all the way, or if not what part of it will?


«13456717

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ childoforpheus


    fitzgese wrote: »
    Bit off yet, the NRA website says it's due to be finished Q2 2009, but anyone know if this is going to open as motorway all the way, or if not what part of it will?

    This scheme is part of the current round of redesignations so it should open as a Motorway. That is the Department of Transport hurry up!:rolleyes:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 invincibleirish


    is the whole M8 going to be open by 2010?, does 2010 include right up to Dec 31st 2010?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 Chris_533976


    Officially yes, it means end of 2010 I think.

    Probably find the last section (or two) of the N8 come in around mid 2010, at a guess.


  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭ fitzgese


    Excellent, anyone know how it's coming along?


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭ spacetweek


    The NRA has the estimated finish date for everything. It looks like this:

    Q2 2010 M6 Complete
    Q3 2010 M3 Complete
    Q4 2010 M7, M8, M9 Complete

    It's not clear exactly what the order of opening of M7, M8 and M9 will be. It could be as late as December 2010.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 invincibleirish


    Hmm, i wonder how much a trip to up the M8 to Dublin will be in terms of petrol & tolls and back again by the time the Mway is hopefully finished in 2010.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 Chris_533976


    Guesswork would say M6 first, M8 second, M7 third and M9 last. But thats just going from start times of various schemes.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,150 E92


    The Fermoy-Mitchelstown road is flying along(certainly from the Fermoy bypass end of bit to before Mitchelstown). It looks like they are already starting to put down some of the surfaces on parts of it, which is great.

    When are we ever going to see the Motorway re-classification?

    This was announced nearly a year ago, and then the Government finally had their public consultation towards the start of the year, so what are we waiting for?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    I heard that Cullahill to Cashel will open by September/October 2008 - well ahead of schedule. At least, when I rang this number - 056 8838238 - that's what the girl said.

    With regard to motorway redesignations, a very helpful person at the Department of Transport has informed me that the Minister received a number of objections to the proposed redesignation of HQDCs along the N/M8 route. The NRA was given an opportunity to reply to the objections, which it did. The objectors had until last Friday (June 20th) to respond to the NRA's assurances, and a number did.

    So, the Minister will now assess the objectors' objections, and then will decide on the matter. Presumably the redesignations will go ahead ASAP.

    See also this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=887


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 invincibleirish


    I drove the sections that are opened at the weekend, the trip through Tipperary is thankfully getting shorter and shorter every time i go up the M/N8, the M7/8 Interchange will be the last come on stream im guessing?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    I drove the sections that are opened at the weekend, the trip through Tipperary is thankfully getting shorter and shorter every time i go up the M/N8, the M7/8 Interchange will be the last come on stream im guessing?

    Yes. The Mitchelstown to Fermoy scheme is relatively short, and rapid progress is being made there.

    I haven't seen first-hand (or even heard from anyone else) how the M7/8 Portlaoise to Culahill section is moving along, but at almost 40km, it's a big project and will certainly be the final installment.

    I've started a thread here on the various projects along the M/N8: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055319940


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 Chris_533976


    Yeah thats planned to be the last. Hard to get updates on it as its almost completely offline and far from the current road.

    (Also theres no nutters up there going to go driving through the forest to find out)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 AugustusMaximus


    Wouldn't it have made more sense to have done Portlaoise to Culahill first before doing Cashel - Culahill as Portlaoise to Culahill contains bypasses of both Durrow and Abeyleix ?


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭ icdg


    Redesignation or not, the bit between Culahill and Urlingford will be motorway as it has a Motorway Order attached to it. Why they designed one scheme to the same standard, but with motorway regulations only attached to part of it, no one has ever given a clear answer.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 Chris_533976


    Yup. But this is a PPP and for some reason got delayed till the very bloody end.

    It'll be fun to have motorway on the whole route except for Abbeyleix and Durrow on the N8, and similarly Mountrath on the N7.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 Chris_533976


    icdg wrote: »
    Redesignation or not, the bit between Culahill and Urlingford will be motorway as it has a Motorway Order attached to it. Why they designed one scheme to the same standard, but with motorway regulations only attached to part of it, no one has ever given a clear answer.

    I think thats because the northern terminus of that runs directly into the M7/M8 scheme with no junction, to stop people turning off and dodging the toll. That way part of it has to be motorway as once you're on it you're travelling to a motorway with no way off.


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭ icdg


    Ah, that would explain two points

    (a) why its a motorway
    (b) why its being built before Portlaoise-Culahill.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    I've been trying to post pictures of the M8 Cashel to Cullahill scheme, but I think they're too big to upload.

    Basically, the road has every chance of opening by October as far as I can see, which is what the locals are saying anyway.

    Most of the road has been tarred and medianed. The coat of tar is by no means the final coat -- there's more to be done there. Some sections do not have the median put up yet, either. No lines have been done, and no cats eyes. There's still a bit of landscaping work to be done too. The grade seperated junction at Cashel is pretty much ready (but the median hasn't been erected yet), and the HQDC has been blended seamlessly with the Cashel Bypass; the one at Horse & Jockey is built too and is functional. The one south of Cullahill is being laid out at the moment, but isn't open to traffic yet.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 AugustusMaximus


    Furet, if they are too big to upload onto boards.ie try uploading them to www.imageshack.us

    They are usually fairly genorous with the size of images you can upload.

    Love to see your photos.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    Ok, here goes:


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    And some more...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    Some new photos. Alas, I really don't think the road will be ready anytime before November at the earliest. Still, good progress continues to be made.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 AugustusMaximus


    Bit of work to do there alright.

    Will still open before Fermoy Mitchelstown though ?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 Chris_533976


    Based purely on contract start dates, yes :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ MDTyKe


    Hmm. November? The new M1/N1/A1 link road looked like that - a few weeks before it opened. They appeared to just top it with asphalt pavement and paint the signs in about 2 weeks - the signs went up somewhere in here.

    I'd say we could be talking September or early October, not November!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    MDTyKe wrote: »
    Hmm. November? The new M1/N1/A1 link road looked like that - a few weeks before it opened. They appeared to just top it with asphalt pavement and paint the signs in about 2 weeks - the signs went up somewhere in here.

    I'd say we could be talking September or early October, not November!

    I hope so. September was the rumour until about a month ago, but everyone seems to be saying November now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭ ipodrocker


    Furet wrote: »
    I heard that Cullahill to Cashel will open by September/October 2008 - well ahead of schedule. At least, when I rang this number - 056 8838238 - that's what the girl said.

    With regard to motorway redesignations, a very helpful person at the Department of Transport has informed me that the Minister received a number of objections to the proposed redesignation of HQDCs along the N/M8 route. The NRA was given an opportunity to reply to the objections, which it did. The objectors had until last Friday (June 20th) to respond to the NRA's assurances, and a number did.

    So, the Minister will now assess the objectors' objections, and then will decide on the matter. Presumably the redesignations will go ahead ASAP.

    See also this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=887
    thats great if it only 2 or so months away from the cashel to culahill section being open, currently that part of the current n8 is pain, i was on it last nite and a good old granny driver was driving 50km/h and it was pain and hard to try and overtake.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    Will the roadbuilders be taking two weeks off in August like everyone else in the construction industry?


  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭ ipodrocker


    Furet wrote: »
    Will the roadbuilders be taking two weeks off in August like everyone else in the construction industry?

    i hope more of the m8 done the better, the culla hill to cashel will be great if its true saying it will be ready sept/oct 08.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    I just found out that a lot of the builders are gone on the traditional two week builders' holidays. So practically nothing will be done for the next fortnight. :(


Advertisement