Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all

no i not spend the afternoon in the pub after the med though looking back i did waste that afternoon in work:rolleyes:. i just thought i put up a post. every one seems to get nervous about the med. i just find it funny as i not super fit and i just had a laugh doing it, no point in working myself up about it and i though that some new people would like to hear that.

and hopefuly i be starting in Sept. now that my vet files finial are with the psni we all get to meet up soon and you lot will see how ramdom i do be at times :confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Gosh i didnt know they did medicals going by the merit list. Does that mean no one in C14 will get a medical untill all AC's are finished. My AC was 4weeks ago and my vetting has been sent away for 2 weeks. Do they give you much notice ie dates for the med ie 3weeks etc????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Yeah pretty sure its done in merit order form what happened in campaign 13.

I got letter for my medical about 3 weeks before the date of it.
    You might get through the medical before the AC have all finished, your vetting is probably underway now so dont see why they wouldn't give you a medical date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Yeah pretty sure its done in merit order form what happened in campaign 13.

I got letter for my medical about 3 weeks before the date of it.
    You might get through the medical before the AC have all finished, your vetting is probably underway now so dont see why they wouldn't give you a medical date.

Thanks,

You are always sooooooo positive!! I think you should be a moderator on the forum as well as PSNI!!!!

I read that your 'mrs' had her AC recently, get her on the forum she could be mrsgoodcopbadcop or badcopgoodcop:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

You have to be positive about this stuff. If anyone knows that its me, Back in January everyone on here told me it was game over and I thought it probably was too, but kept hoping for something good to come out of it and patience paid off, ok I'm not in but i have got alot further than i thought i would.

Don't think she will be joining up anytime soon, she calls me sad for coming on here so can't see her doing it too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chriso8

Question for psni. Did my medical 14 weeks ago still havent heard anythning, is this normal? if possible would you have a number i could contact to inquire, its driving me nuts! thank you........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Wow. 14 weeks is a long time. You should have heard something by now, even if it's just a letter. Call 02890650222 and ask to be put through to OHW in Seapark. The receptionist will direct your call to whoever is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

psni wrote: »
    Wow. 14 weeks is a long time. You should have heard something by now, even if it's just a letter. Call 02890650222 and ask to be put through to OHW in Seapark. The receptionist will direct your call to whoever is free.

God I love this website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 regtgunner

Hi there,
    just wondering what the hearing test is like.
    Just left the forces but firing mortars has left me with damaged hearing in my left ear.
    My hearing is still good enough to pass the military medicals but was just looking for some info on the test from you guys that have done it.
    Are you in a soundproof booth or just a set of headphones in a room?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

regtgunner wrote: »
    Hi there,
    just wondering what the hearing test is like.
    Just left the forces but firing mortars has left me with damaged hearing in my left ear.
    My hearing is still good enough to pass the military medicals but was just looking for some info on the test from you guys that have done it.
    Are you in a soundproof booth or just a set of headphones in a room?
    Cheers.

Hi, exactly the same test as in the forces. In an isolation booth with a 'clicker' responding to varying beeps in each ear piece. I don't know the standard though, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 regtgunner

Cheers,
    Yeah the booth is alot easier than just a headset. The reason I ask is cos on my discharge medical I passed ok in the booth. Then on starting my new job I had a hearing test just in a normal room. As such my dodgy ear was worse than usual!
    JVB, i'm ex raf regt, left a couple of months ago. Had enough of the long tours away. Police would be a good balance between military and civilian life. Well so all my mates already in the police say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

Can anyone who has done their medical, and who has asthma, offer me any advice? It's the only thing I am worried about for my medical, though mine is only mild.

How do they test your lungs? Using a peak flow metre or the computerised one? Also has anyone on here passed their medical, who has asthma?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

I think they do a spiromoter test which involves you blowing into a device which measures lung capacity.

On the old forum ( ah the good old days *SIGHS* ) there was a conversation about it. I think a lot of people find it quite tricky!

You'll be fine!

I think us gals need a thread of our own!!!

I think they do a spiromoter test which involves you blowing into a device which measures lung capacity.

On the old forum ( ah the good old days *SIGHS* ) there was a conversation about it. I think a lot of people find it quite tricky!

You'll be fine!

I think us gals need a thread of our own!!!

Thanks MrsGeneHunt! I'm planning on just getting my general fitness up and that should strengthen my lungs, I come from a family of asthmatics and my Mum says cutting out dairy products reduces her symptoms. I'd miss my cheese though!

Yeah a girlie thread's a good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

This should give you some idea the hearing standard the psni use:

Hearing loss of more than 84db over 0.5-1.2khz or more than a total of 123db over the range 3, 4, and 6khz range in both ears is unlikely to be suitable. When one ear is affected or when aids may overcome the difficulty further assessment will be required to identify possible adjustments. See link below for other details:
    http://www.psni.police.uk/index/careers/preemployment_medical_assessment.htm

Fo wrote: »
    Yeah a girlie thread's a good idea!

Oh right, we're not good enough for you now eh? :D Well maybe us boys will have one too. We can talk about football, cars, women, beer and ... errr ... football ... um ... cars ... help :o:D

My granny always said I could hear the grass grow.....I'm hoping I'll be okay!!!!
    Bit worried about the eyes as I wear lenses but my optician has assured me I'm up to standard!!
    ( Providing I actually get as far as to be offered a medical....wind yer neck in MGH... :P )

JVB wrote: »
    Oh right, we're not good enough for you now eh? :D Well maybe us boys will have one too. We can talk about football, cars, women, beer and ... errr ... football ... um ... cars ... help :o:D

OOh that would be interesting!!! A thread to log onto when I cant sleep.....LOL:D

Football, cars, beer ZZZZzzzzzzzzz

See it works!:eek:

Well jone JVB :D

OOh that would be interesting!!! A thread to log onto when I cant sleep.....LOL:D

Football, cars, beer ZZZZzzzzzzzzz

See it works!:eek:

Well jone JVB :D

You forgot the women :P We might occasionally talk about champagne now and again ;) Though it would mostly be in and around the topic of women again :D I know, we're simple :)

Dinosaurs... don't forget dinosaurs... oh and motor bikes?

• Advertisement

Dinosaurs... don't forget dinosaurs... oh and motor bikes?

Oh and women. Or did I already mention them? :D

Oh and women. Or did I already mention them? :D
    I've always felt women & dinosaurs go hand in hand! :D

FO, you're supposed to be on OUR side!!!!!!!:D

FO, you're supposed to be on OUR side!!!!!!!:D
    lol!! I was trying to divert his attention from women to dinosaurs! ha ha!
    anyway... back to the girls only thread... i need to know about sports bras for Garnerville physical ed! :D

lol!! I was trying to divert his attention from women to dinosaurs! ha ha!
    anyway... back to the girls only thread... i need to know about sports bras for Garnerville physical ed! :D

Have answered this on our gals thread!!!!

Have answered this on our gals thread!!!!

Have you seriously got a girls thread? Happy days. Think I might get another user name and 'groom' you all for myself (*JOKE* I know, it sounds disgusting even when I read it. How could I? Oh yeh I'm a man, I have no control :D)

JVB: "Hello there fellow women of the world. Don't know why my username is coming up as JVB, because my name is Delia and 'I'm a lady' (cue David Walliams voice) biggrin.gif
    Yes I know, I know, I've already got my coat and I'm leaving. Just couldn't help sticking my nose in biggrin.gif Speak to yas back in general population sometime girls."

That was hilarious! my favourite bit is where you say you've already got your coat and are leaving, L O L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

on the subject of asthma i have a mate who is pretty badly asthmatic and he managed to pass the medical so you should be fine.

and the hearing test, pay attention when the nurse tells you not to look at the spots on the wall of the booth, it makes you VERY dizzy! lol

Any guys and gals out there wanting free advice on weight training I strongly (no pun!) recommend you look at www.neilmct.com Look at his website and also click on his blog link from the bottom right of the web page. Neil's a personal trainer based in NI with 12 years experience, plus he's the online editor for Mens Health Magazine (recruited after reaching finals of last years cover model competition, swine!) He has loads of good 'real world' advice with no bull****. Check it out.

• Advertisement

Any guys and gals out there wanting free advice on weight training I strongly (no pun!) recommend you look at www.neilmct.com Look at his website and also click on his blog link from the bottom right of the web page. Neil's a personal trainer based in NI with 12 years experience, plus he's the online editor for Mens Health Magazine (recruited after reaching finals of last years cover model competition, swine!) He has loads of good 'real world' advice with no bull****. Check it out.

You on comission or what??? LOL :D

Advertisement