Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Praise the lord I am comfortably under BMI 30
    That sounds yyyeeeuuucchhhhhhhhhh:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

everyone just remember

A moment on the lips... Is a lifetime on the hips!!!

There's also: -

Nothing tastes as good as slim feels!!!!

Joined Weight Watchers years ago for a bit and that was the leaders fave saying.

Weight Watchers was a nightmare, all they did was talk about food, I ended up leaving the meetings and going to the Chinese......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

mmmmmm.... chinese,

Had one last night. Honey Chilli chicken with chips.... and FULL fat coke.

Anyway, yeah, fitness is important, stay slim, don't take drugs kids and... NEVER take sweets from strangers. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 WEE SCOT

pb999 wrote: »
    no its by electro impedence, they hook wires to your feet and hands and it sends a current through your body and judges the % based on how quickly the cuurent goes through the body.
    If you think you may have to get you BF measured and this is how they do it I would avoid tea, coffee, cola etc for 24 hours before the medical. Unfortunately caffeine can alter the reading (and not in a good way)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jason Clerkin

I'm surprised this is how they measure body fat %. The Calipers is by far the most accurate way of reading BF. Yes depending on how hydrated you are can alter the reading and caffeine dehydrates you hence this method not being totally accurate.. Every try them ones in chemist with hand grips... Same principal and miles off. Maybe the fact the current is going from both ends i.e hands and feet makes it more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

I don't remember being zapped at my medical. I was just weighed. I think your BMI is calculated by your height and weight only. Go here http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/magazine/interactive/bmi/index.aspx to look up your own BMI on the NHS website.

But beware, the BMI scale is a load of crap. Why? Because it does not reflect individual circumstances. For instance, if you are a male who is 178cm (5' 11") and weigh 82kg, then you (that will be me as you are already guessing) are overweight! Now I train 4 or 5 times a week and do weights with some cardio. As I said, crap.

The BMI scale is an easy way to say, 'oh I'm sorry, this chart says you're overweight' (usually by someone in a medical centre who actually is overweight!) when realistically you may play rugby or weight train etc.

I think the best measuring tool is your eyes. If you think you look fat overweight , you probably are; so go to the gym in anticipation of your medical. Sorry to be a bit frank, I think watching the bedside manner of Dr House is rubbing off on me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭owen1976

Just wondering has anybody heard of anyone from C14 getting a medical yet? Accord to the schedule on the Consensia website they where due to start in august.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

owen1976 wrote: »
    Just wondering has anybody heard of anyone from C14 getting a medical yet? Accord to the schedule on the Consensia website they where due to start in august.

I got mine in the post this morning!!!! !!! :)

Brill thats a good sign of maybe an early start fingers crossed:D:D

But now it means that i'll be rushing home everyday now to check the post,which is silly cause I also know it could be ages yet:(:(:(

• Advertisement

Thanks, Its made my month!
    Wasn't even thinking about getting medical stuff this early!!

Thanks, Its made my month!
    Wasn't even thinking about getting medical stuff this early!!

Good news! When is it?

Good news! When is it?

Thanks, within two weeks

Thanks, within two weeks
    Blimey thats quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Huge congratulations on getting to the medical stage. Did you get vetting forms?

Getting invited for a medical is surely a sign of a relatively high A/C score. It doesn't mean you'll definately get in, but given how much the medicals cost, I doubt the PSNI would be handing them out willy-nilly. You're in with a shout.

Is this an indication that the merit list is more or less complete????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭belfastard

happy days inspector 71! brilliant news......i assume you got your vetting a while back?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

well done Inspector!!

carlty888 wrote: »
    Huge congratulations on getting to the medical stage. Did you get vetting forms?

Getting invited for a medical is surely a sign of a relatively high A/C score. It doesn't mean you'll definately get in, but given how much the medicals cost, I doubt the PSNI would be handing them out willy-nilly. You're in with a shout.

Is this an indication that the merit list is more or less complete????
    belfastard wrote: »
    happy days inspector 71! brilliant news......i assume you got your vetting a while back?!

Yeah I got the vetting forms 9 days after I did the AC and that was way back in july. Considering phoning vetting to see if my vetting is done yet. Does anyone know what way it works for sure?
    Do they wait until vetting clears until you get the medical invite?
    I'm so excited.

Yeah I got the vetting forms 9 days after I did the AC and that was way back in july. Considering phoning vetting to see if my vetting is done yet. Does anyone know what way it works for sure?
    Do they wait until vetting clears until you get the medical invite?
    I'm so excited.

You're vetting won't necessarily be completed I'm afraid.

I got vetting forms for C13 in November 07 and had my medical in mid-December. I got the "Dear John" back in January and just found out that my vetting was never actually processed.

I was told that my merit number was good enough to be invited for these in the first place (as wastage), but they didn't bother processing my vetting once they realised that there were too many people ahead of me and issued the " DJ."

How much notice do they normally give you about your medical, I was given 12 days notice, barely enough time to get a doctors appointment to fill out the MHQ!

I didn't think they were putting people through their medicals this year without being sure.

Has anyone else got one yet? Mine came in a big A4 envelope and the address was hand written - if anyone is on the lookout for the postman.

I don't wanna get too over excited though, but I'm taken it as another good sign and moving in the right direction.

• Advertisement

How much notice do they normally give you about your medical, I was given 12 days notice, barely enough time to get a doctors appointment to fill out the MHQ!

I didn't think they were putting people through their medicals this year without being sure.

Has anyone else got one yet? Mine came in a big A4 envelope and the address was hand written - if anyone is on the lookout for the postman.

I don't wanna get too over excited though, but I'm taken it as another good sign and moving in the right direction.

My postman is starting to get freaked out! :D He's my 7th since the IST. :o

It's definately a good sign that you've got the medical. They aren't gonna hand them out to someone who's just scraped a pass in the A/C.

12 days notice is about normal. Last year I had to pick up my MHQ from my doctor on the way to the medical. :eek: I was crapping myself that it wouldn't be ready. Got there in the end though.

Im wondering is the merit pool ready now that you got a date for your medical? Does anyone want to ring and find out i would but i already rang at the begining of this week and I hated to ring again incase they know its me!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: HaHa

owen1976 wrote: »
    Im wondering is the merit pool ready now that you got a date for your medical? Does anyone want to ring and find out i would but i already rang at the begining of this week and I hated to ring again incase they know its me!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: HaHa

Put on an accent lol:D

Like Taggart.....there's been a murrrrr-duuurrrrrr

Put on an accent lol:D

Like Taggart.....there's been a murrrrr-duuurrrrrr

If only you could hear my talk there would be no chance. Id just sound like a taggart from belfast on steroids. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

i got my medical forms yesterday as well and have it around the same time as inspector71, pretty much in the same boat in that i got my vetting etc way back in july. my only concern is the lack of time to get the MHQ filled out by my gp, last time i had over 3 weeks notice and my gp took near the full 3 weeks to sort my MHQ (low priority for them i guess) with only 7 working days for it to be completed i'm worried it wont be ready in time, and unfortunately i couldnt get an appointment to sort it, so had to leave it with them. and i too wasnt expecting to hear about medicals until mid-september! :eek:

i managed an appointment at my local surgery, but not with my usual doctor. I got one with a stand in doctor who doesn't know me and the MHQ ask the doctor such questions as "based on records and your personal knowledge of the candidate, would you trust him with a gun?"
    I could be fred west for all this quy knows!

pb999 - we did our ACs on the same day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

pb999 - we did our ACs on the same day!

thats right, forgot i'd pm'd you about that!

i'm just wondering what the policy is if our MHQ's aren't signed off by GP in time, i know they say no rescheduling of appointments, but hopefully it wont come to that!

To clarify this for me here -
    Does everyone who passes the AC get invited to a medical?

- and -

In what what order do they invite you?
    Is it by merit score, by date of AC, alphabetical order, shoe size....?

I need to put this to sleep before I start drinking tonight

To clarify this for me here -
    Does everyone who passes the AC get invited to a medical?
    - and -
    In what what order do they invite you?

Is it by merit score, by date of AC, alphabetical order, shoe size....?

I need to put this to sleep before I start drinking tonight

Not everyone who passes the A/C will get called for a medical. Only those who will have scored high enough to get the call or be part of wastage (I don't like that term, but it is what it is). :(

As for the order? Who knows? Some people have suggested candidate number. This seems logical, but to date it hasn't been confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭belfastard

pb999 wrote: »
    thats right, forgot i'd pm'd you about that!

i'm just wondering what the policy is if our MHQ's aren't signed off by GP in time, i know they say no rescheduling of appointments, but hopefully it wont come to that!

great news guys, surely a good sign and a step forward, got me excited as i got my vetting 9-10 days after my ac, what date did you do your ac?pm if ya like! thanks :)

Advertisement