Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

It's kinda cool, although as is the case with absolutely everything Metallica do nowadays, people are going to complain that they're losing it. Looks like some sort of a nod to the band's name - Death Magnetic...Metallica?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Kevski wrote: »
    It's kinda cool, although as is the case with absolutely everything Metallica do nowadays, people are going to complain that they're losing it.

Agreed, Ive been a massive fan since '94 and it aint been easy! The bashers wont be happy unless they call the album. 'Kill Em Lightning Puppets.'

The excerpts Ive heard so far have been pretty rockin!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

by everything metallica do nowadays, do you mean st anger?

cos anybody with any taste in music would criticise st anger.

tick tock tick tock, bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

by everything metallica do nowadays, do you mean st anger?

cos anybody with any taste in music would criticise st anger.

tick tock tick tock, bollox

Not one of their finer moments agreed, but the whole 'its not 'Master Of Puppets' talk gets as lame as 'How sh1t is Frantic?' talk.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

mms://wm.elektra.com/metallica/metallica_com/2008/nomore_300wm.wmv

There's a link to the video.

Some of the reviews have been saying that there are some absolutely terrible songs on the album as well as some fantastic ones. I don't know what to think at this stage - the riffs I'm hearing are pretty cool though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Metallica have been on a downward slide since 1991. The Black album is the last decent thing they've released thats 17 years ago!!! Now don't get me wrong, I still love alot of Metallicas early stuff and would like nothing better than them to come back with a juggernaut of an album and show some of the younger bands how to do it, but a few nice riffs do not a good song make. They're purely living off their back-catalog and cashing in on that fact, I mean, who actually shells out their hard earned cash to go see Metallica(sh) play King Nothing or St Anger ? I'll tell ya who. No one.

I do. Think King Nothing is a great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

feylya wrote: »
    mms://wm.elektra.com/metallica/metallica_com/2008/nomore_300wm.wmv

I hope that's not part of an actually song, because if it is it sounds like they tried to make the most annoying riff they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

feylya wrote: »
    I do. Think King Nothing is a great song.

+1:cool:

as it is with all things metallica they'll either be hailed as metal gods or a nostalgia act living off former glories. tbh,as a metallica fan what i've always admired about them is the fact that they don't keep doing the same old thing. they broke big time with master of puppets and could have kept what was essentially a winning formula but instead they moved on to the heavy 8 minute song epics of AJFA followed bythe polished radio friendly TBA which in turn was followed by load/reload which were basically hard rock albums. they then done an album of covers and then played with an orchestra followed by a near break up and then st. anger.

the bottom line is they make music for themselves and if other people enjoy it then happy days. they're multi-millionaires and don't need the money,this album i think is being born out feeling like they have to prove themselves again. they still get more flak than any other band i know,a lot of that down to the napster debacle. the music mags that i've read who heard previews of 6 new songs sounded pretty positive,especially given that the tracks hadn't been mastered yet. then again,kerrang who thought it was great also gave st. anger a 5* rating when it came out and only changed their mind when they realised everyone thought it was crap. so i'll take the music critics opinion with a pinch of salt and make up my own mind in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

You're all missing the point - a point which James hit well on in an interview in the last few months.

Metallica has been functioning for the last number of years as a band who moved away from 'either a riff/fill/something' is good or **** to being 'well, maybe we can do something with that' to full on forced contrived, as seen clearly in SKoM in how they constructed songs.

Hetfield said that the new album was not about making puppets two, or recapturing the mind frame of 20-odd years ago, but instead stop forcing things to go together, & instead stop looking for the positive in everything, when clearly it isn't there.

Anyone who actually writes music themselves, & records music & look at how you wrote/recorded when you were 19/20 to when you're say 30 ..... you'll find yourself teasing ideas out way more instead of going with the flow & going 'f**k it, it sucks ... move on'. Your musical patience grows as you get older, & sometimes it's bad - sometimes it's good, depends on what you play.

St Anger was nothing more than a pure control exercise by James Hetfield - he controlled the recording, the band's mentality, their 'do we/don't we exist' - Bob Rock certainly didn't help, & hasn't. It's very much like Mutt Lange, total overkill on the control issue.

Fleming Rasmusen didn't sit on them like Bob Rock did, hence why they went with Rick Rubin. Yes Rick is a notorious perfectionist - however he will always tell you "You're not in here to please me - it's to please you", & if something sucks - you'll know in no uncertain terms - unlike Bob Rock, who when you saw SKoM you saw how he always seemed to find something good in the dirtiest piece of garbage .....

the sooner people get off this 'I want it to be 20 years ago buzz' & grow the f**k up, the better! hey I wanna be able to wear drain pipe jeans again - but that sure as **** isn't gonna happen any time soon...........

p.s. Album title ....... awesome!!!!! Roll on August & September!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ven0m wrote: »
    You're all missing the point - a point which James hit well on in an interview in the last few months.

Metallica has been functioning for the last number of years as a band who moved away from 'either a riff/fill/something' is good or **** to being 'well, maybe we can do something with that' to full on forced contrived, as seen clearly in SKoM in how they constructed songs.

Hetfield said that the new album was not about making puppets two, or recapturing the mind frame of 20-odd years ago, but instead stop forcing things to go together, & instead stop looking for the positive in everything, when clearly it isn't there.

Anyone who actually writes music themselves, & records music & look at how you wrote/recorded when you were 19/20 to when you're say 30 ..... you'll find yourself teasing ideas out way more instead of going with the flow & going 'f**k it, it sucks ... move on'. Your musical patience grows as you get older, & sometimes it's bad - sometimes it's good, depends on what you play.

St Anger was nothing more than a pure control exercise by James Hetfield - he controlled the recording, the band's mentality, their 'do we/don't we exist' - Bob Rock certainly didn't help, & hasn't. It's very much like Mutt Lange, total overkill on the control issue.

Fleming Rasmusen didn't sit on them like Bob Rock did, hence why they went with Rick Rubin. Yes Rick is a notorious perfectionist - however he will always tell you "You're not in here to please me - it's to please you", & if something sucks - you'll know in no uncertain terms - unlike Bob Rock, who when you saw SKoM you saw how he always seemed to find something good in the dirtiest piece of garbage .....

the sooner people get off this 'I want it to be 20 years ago buzz' & grow the f**k up, the better! hey I wanna be able to wear drain pipe jeans again - but that sure as **** isn't gonna happen any time soon...........

well said dude.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im actually really looking forward to this album :-),im glad rick rubin produced it and not bob rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

+2 Very well said, couldn't agree more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It doesn't matter how any album is written or what the circumstances are, all that matters at the end of the day is whether or not an album is any good. If its a sh1t album, its a sh1t album.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I hope this will be a worthy album. Like St. Anger and Load/Reload, I will be judging it on it's own merits, not on whether it hits me in the same way Ride the Lightning did when I heard it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

It doesn't matter how any album is written or what the circumstances are, all that matters at the end of the day is whether or not an album is any good. If its a sh1t album, its a sh1t album.

Didn't I just make that point???? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

+2 Very well said, couldn't agree more.

I'll 3rd that motion - is it carried now :p

agree with Venom on this one, why can't people just stop rackin up the past, if even Hetfield can recognise the error of his was with regards to the making of certain records everyone else just needs to forget about them..........

no point in judging this new album on a couple of clips either, just doesn't make any sense to do that, it's the same as seeing a 20sec clip of a film and saying the film is crap - you haven't heard the peice of work so wait till the f**ker drops before murdering it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭brown-dog

I agree to - I'm really looking forward to this album. I have always been a fan of Metallica and have to say that I did like St Anger for many reasons. Bands at that time seemed to be almost scared to do anything different in fear of being killed for it but they made an album that they wanted to and also released the movie about it being made. Its takes guts to lay it all out there for everyone to see. Roll on Aug and September is right :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 chattyk

Agreed - very well said. Metallica make the music they like, if we all like it - bonus! Lets listen to the finished album and make up our own minds.

Yes roll on August & September. I'm taking my 10 year old son to his first gig hope he enjoys it as much as I did way way back when!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

chattyk wrote: »
    Agreed - very well said. Metallica make the music they like, if we all like it - bonus! Lets listen to the finished album and make up our own minds.

Yes roll on August & September. I'm taking my 10 year old son to his first gig hope he enjoys it as much as I did way way back when!

Here here. We should count ourselves lucky that it's only been 5 years!? We could be GnR fans waiting for Chinese bleedin Democracy to drop!? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

this sounds pretty cool:

According to the Norwegian music retailer Platekompaniet, Metallica will release a limited-edition two-CD, one-DVD, deluxe "Death Magnetic" box set in September. The box set will be packaged as a coffin box and will also include an exclusive t-shirt, flag and USB memory stick.

The details of the deluxe box set are as follows:

1 "Death Magnetic" CD (exclusive digipack version)

1 CD with demos of songs from "Death Magnetic" (10 songs)

1 "Making of 'Death Magnetic'" DVD featuring never-before-seen material

1 exclusive "Death Magnetic" t-shirt (only available with the box set)

1 "Death Magnetic" flag

A set of "Death Magnetic" guitar picks

1 fold-out, coffin box, poster with pictures of the band members

1 USB memory stick with Metallica logo (enables digital download of "Death Magnetic" album)

A Finnish retailer called Record Shop X has listed Wednesday, September 17 as the release date for Metallica's ninth studio album, "Death Magnetic". Although an official release date has yet to be announced by the band or its label, the Finnish date would indicate that the album would arrive in the U.S. on Tuesday, September 16, with most of continental Europe getting the CD one day earlier on September 15. Some countries, including Germany, Austria and Switzerland, would see the record issued on Friday, September 12.

Hmm, sounds interesting. No mention of that on the Mission Metallica site, which will piss people off if they can't buy it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/2632512014_feaaaef164_o.jpg

works out at just over €100:cool:

i'd buy it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

I reckon I'll be getting this - steep enough, but you get plenty for your money :)
    hopefully this means everyone involved thinks the album is amazing - can't see them releasing this sort of package for a weak album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Has anybody ever seen that interview with Cliff Burton on "Cliff Em All"

First thing he says is "we do what we want to do". He then went on to rebuke "trends and fads", before saying that if people dont like Metallica's **** then "whatever"

It said it all, and it highlights that the spirit of Metallica lives on !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Rockee wrote: »
    The bashers wont be happy unless they call the album. 'Kill Em Lightning Puppets.'

I wouldn't agree with that. Good bands change, **** bands stay the same. I don't think anybody could get upset by Metallica continuing to evolve, there's a clear change and progression through the first four albums. The problem was Metallica's song quality deteriorated through the 90's through to the clueless, uninspired and flaccid stanger debacle. It's not a style change that lost them a lot of fans, it's just they put out some truly **** songs with some very bland riffs and meaningless lyrical slop, something they never did in the early days.

The very worst thing they could do is try to emulate what they did in the 80's because in the 80's they were looking to break new ground, not rehash what had gone before. Their strength was in their determination to create, that's what makes those albums so good. Each new release pushed things further out, broke new ground. It's not about being relentlessly heavy (as stanger proved), it's about being good, about being inventive. When they mentioned using the 80's albums as inspriation the alarm bells started ringing. If they use their old albums as a template then they're truly ****ed and, hate to say it, should call it a day. If they're going to operate solely within a tried and tested comfort zone, they might as well be Boyzone. When you've nothing new to say, leave the stage.

I worry that, in the same way they had a "no solo" policy which, as Kirk managed to point out, dated that album before it was ever released, the new material will be trying to hard to conform to what they were doing 20 years ago. It would be just as big as mistake to make an 80's style album and obey the rules of a genre which died in the early 90's because it ran out of ideas and was already repeating itself, as it was to serve up that turgid lobster ****e the last time.

Let us hope that is not the case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

eh its not a case of people wanting it to be 20 years ago or puppets mark 2, its people wanting metallica to release a good album. Which they havent done since AJFA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

can 40+ year olds release good energetic heavy/thrash metal albums?

i know being in my 30s I listen to music in a way different light as to when I was 18. When I was 18, I probably would have wanted to start a metal band, now I'd go more for Mogwai/ISIS thing. I changed. I dunno, maybe Metallica have changed and will not release anything to top AJFA etc, as they are not 25 anymore....???

Advertisement