Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just heard this clip which is apparently from the new album but it sounds like a young Heitfield singing and I have never heard it and Ive been listening to them since '91. Man thats a class riff and vocals are good too. Ive heard 3 songs which are supposed to be released on the new album, if that is what its going to sound like I will definately be purchasing the album.

Edit: just read through some of the comments on YT, I feel like such a **** now :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

from the comments
    This is not metallica, this is christian metal band Eternal Decision. Specifically, the song is called "Overflow".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yeah, I edited my last post. It's still a good song though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Even if that was metallica, it sounds exactly like for whom the bell tolls

• Registered Users Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

BarryCreed wrote: »
    can 40+ year olds release good energetic heavy/thrash metal albums?
    Slayer - Christ Illusion. Dave Lombardo's first since SITA and (IMO) their best since then. Hell, it even has their first ever blast beat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Slayer - Christ Illusion. Dave Lombardo's first since SITA and (IMO) their best since then. Hell, it even has their first ever blast beat!

He said good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Painkiller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

I'm trying not to get too bothered by the new album but what I've heard seems like an improvement on the load/reload era. And after watching their performance at rock am ring this year there is hope that it could be decent. Great set list, Hefield sounded good, Lars actually kept in time (apart from a **** up on ...and justice for all...but when was the last time they played that!) for most of it and there just seems a renewed energy.

Plus Bob Rock is gone.....finally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

and not to forget that it's rob trujillos first album with metallica and the influence he'll bring with him.

What has Rob Trujillo ever influenced in an amazing way before? He brought some pop and slap to ST and Infectious Grooves, but everything else (Ozzy, Cantrell) he's just been a hired goon. I can't see him having much influence at all, he's hardly got an illustrious and creative songwriting history behind him.

If ever there has been a Hetfield/Ulrich album, I reckon this will be it. They tried collaboration and it sucked balls, I reckon it'll be a closed shop this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

But what about all the flamenco guitar he's been playing!?!?!

He can play all the flamenco he wants, either they've gone Rodrigo Y Gabriela or it's going to be some 10 second intro, no?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Na, it's a video from the Mission Metallica site where he's getting flamenco lessons...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they should hire timbaland to work on their album...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

Much as I like Trujillo the doc has a good point. He was involved with Suicidal for 2 great albums before they descended into a crap parody of themselves. His time in Ozzy was an utter waste and his bass playing on Jerry Cantrells solo stuff was rather stock. He is a worthwhile addition to Metallica though since he seems content to go with the flow and not butt heads with James and Lars and just let them at it (Kind of like Kirk but at least Kirk has contributed a wealth of riffs and ideas - he just needs a serious amount of guidance). Newsteds time was tarnished by the fact that he wanted to be creatively involved so badly but was just shut out by the others. Shame really since his 3 contributions were all on good songs... However he hasn't set the world alight since his departure either so it really brings it back to the fact that all that's needed is the James/Lars core.

Wha? Those two Voivod albums are both high quality affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

I knew that'd get you going!!! :D
    And no I don't think the Voivod stuff is class. They were always just an OK band to me.

Well, at least you know you're wrong :pac:

Doctor J wrote: »

If ever there has been a Hetfield/Ulrich album, I reckon this will be it. They tried collaboration and it sucked balls, I reckon it'll be a closed shop this time.

from the videos i've seen it looks like hetfield is pushing this one big time. maybe after sharing out the songwriting duties on st. anger and not being as actively involved as he was on all their other stuff due to his limited working hours following rehab he feels like he personally has a point to prove. by all accounts he's been creating enough riffs to spawn a number of albums and all the songwriting is back on him again.

finbarr wrote: »
    Much as I like Trujillo the doc has a good point. He was involved with Suicidal for 2 great albums before they descended into a crap parody of themselves. His time in Ozzy was an utter waste and his bass playing on Jerry Cantrells solo stuff was rather stock. He is a worthwhile addition to Metallica though since he seems content to go with the flow and not butt heads with James and Lars and just let them at it (Kind of like Kirk but at least Kirk has contributed a wealth of riffs and ideas - he just needs a serious amount of guidance). Newsteds time was tarnished by the fact that he wanted to be creatively involved so badly but was just shut out by the others. Shame really since his 3 contributions were all on good songs... However he hasn't set the world alight since his departure either so it really brings it back to the fact that all that's needed is the James/Lars core.

i'm not sure trujillo will have much influence on songwriting,quite possibly none but i think his influence or vibe will have a very positive effect on the new album. their playing has gotten considerably tighter the more they've played together over the last few years. they seem genuinely comfortable together.

• Advertisement

pyure wrote: »
    this sounds pretty cool:

According to the Norwegian music retailer Platekompaniet, Metallica will release a limited-edition two-CD, one-DVD, deluxe "Death Magnetic" box set in September. The box set will be packaged as a coffin box and will also include an exclusive t-shirt, flag and USB memory stick.

The details of the deluxe box set are as follows:

1 "Death Magnetic" CD (exclusive digipack version)

1 CD with demos of songs from "Death Magnetic" (10 songs)

1 "Making of 'Death Magnetic'" DVD featuring never-before-seen material

1 exclusive "Death Magnetic" t-shirt (only available with the box set)

1 "Death Magnetic" flag

A set of "Death Magnetic" guitar picks

1 fold-out, coffin box, poster with pictures of the band members

1 USB memory stick with Metallica logo (enables digital download of "Death Magnetic" album)

A Finnish retailer called Record Shop X has listed Wednesday, September 17 as the release date for Metallica's ninth studio album, "Death Magnetic". Although an official release date has yet to be announced by the band or its label, the Finnish date would indicate that the album would arrive in the U.S. on Tuesday, September 16, with most of continental Europe getting the CD one day earlier on September 15. Some countries, including Germany, Austria and Switzerland, would see the record issued on Friday, September 12.

confirmed by metallica.com

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601002

lord lucan wrote: »
    i'm not sure trujillo will have much influence on songwriting,quite possibly none but i think his influence or vibe will have a very positive effect on the new album. their playing has gotten considerably tighter the more they've played together over the last few years. they seem genuinely comfortable together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDvdCRhYm

Eh wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Can you check that video link? I get this error when I click on it:
    The URL contained a malformed video ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

"Death Magnetic", that title has gotta be a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

"Death Magnetic", that title has gotta be a joke!

No man, didn't you hear? They're emo now.

malice_ wrote: »
    Can you check that video link? I get this error when I click on it:

eh didn't work!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Im intrigued now as to what this clip (should it appear) holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Rockee wrote: »
    Im intrigued now as to what this clip (should it appear) holds.

Maybe it's "the new song" where trujillo stops playing and says his guitar isn't D tuned (live show).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

they should hire timbaland to work on their album...

Replace Lars with a nice drum machine? :D

I'm not looking forward to the new album at all, Hopefully it won't be a St Anger too, Because that was a truly bad album

Advertisement