Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not to get a mac?

Options
  • 01-06-2008 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop, and a friend told me I should get a mac. I never really considered it before, but I guess I'm open to the possibility. So, what would be your reasons as to why I shouldn't get a mac?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Less spec for the money is a pretty compelling reason.

The screens on the Macbooks are pretty bad also, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

The screens on the Macbooks are pretty bad also, imo.

So that's why most professionals (Graphics, Video, Film, etc.) use macs (MacBooks and Desktops).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Way overpriced. I don't see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I stopped using a Mac about five years ago as I was totally pissed off with the way they keep changing the architecture and making all your installed software redundant.

They say they don't but in practice they do. When they went from Macintosh 9 to OSX the task of switching from one OS to another on the fly if you wanted to run some pretty nifty piece of software (and they do occasionally have pretty nifty pieces of software) was just too painful to bother with.

since then, I believe they may have had another change from IBM/Motorola processors to Intel ones. Can't really comment on those changes. But I have to say I never missed the Mac once I stopped using it.

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    So that's why most professionals (Graphics, Video, Film, etc.) use macs (MacBooks and Desktops).
    I don't care who does or doesnt use them; ive got a new macbook in front of me (not mine) and the screen is sub-par. A lot of light leakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

lot of negativity here.

i got a macbook pro in february or thereabouts. i wanted/needed a laptop and decided there's no point in putting up with vista on the go - i can do that on my desktop.

since purchasing i've used my pc only for games. everything else (college, web browsing, etc.) is done on my mac. life is just easier. OSX is stunning too. i've yet to have any problems with it, at all.

the laptop itself is probably under-powered for the money i paid... but you're paying for OSX and the badge to a certain extent.

my experience has been so good with my mac that i'm considering buying a mac desktop solution for myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Why are you paying for linux tbh. I'd get a non-mac laptop with better specs and put linux on it if I did not want vista on it.
    Just my two cents. Ah I finally used that term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

I don't care who does or doesnt use them; ive got a new macbook in front of me (not mine) and the screen is sub-par. A lot of light leakage.

Well then there's a problem with that particular mac you're using. You need to calibrate the screen.

The very reason graphics professionals use Macintosh is for the irrefutably superior quality in screens.

How are they better? In what way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Well then there's a problem with that particular mac you're using. You need to calibrate the screen.

The very reason graphics professionals use Macintosh is for the irrefutably superior quality in screens.

What a downright stupid biased comment...

Firstly you CAN NOT calibrate light bleed :D it is a defect with the screen

Sure some artsy folk use macs, but just because a screen has a little apple logo on it DOES NOT mean its good or the best...Any decent CRT or high end LCD is significantly better than any apple display.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I thought people working in the aforementioned areas traditionally used macs because the hardware and software was geared more toward multimedia. I've seen mac laptops and there sure as hell is nothing special about the screens.

Oh. OSX is much more accessible for computer users who know squat about computers.

I didn't think anything could be simpler than windows! /points and clicks
    Heh

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

well mac books have issues with grainy 6-bit lcd screen just like some dells and other laptops http://peewaiweb.free.fr/
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/26/apple-quietly-settles-macbook-6-bit-lcd-screen-lawsuit/
    their larger displays are high quality but the laptop screens are similar to other manufacturers

The screen is the same as every other Macbook ive seen. When i said i've got one in front of me, I lied.....ive got two ;)

Its just not a great screen imo, ive gotten cheaper laptops with better screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Heh

Ah yeah, of course. I just meant in terms of using linux as an alternative, in my experience that would terrify the average mac user.

But...irrefutable?

He he he
    Ah yeah, of course. I just meant in terms of using linux as an alternative, in my experience that would terrify the average mac user.
    True I don't think a lot of people would handle it too well. Maybe if they stayed away from the CLI.

Heh

I've found my macbook pro to be much easier to use than any windows machine I've had or used before.
    It's my first mac and I'm well impressed with it, so impressed in fact I'm going to replace my desktop with an imac as soon as I can afford it. No issues with the screen at all.

In what ways is it easier to use? I only ever really use my gfs mac, it's grand but not easier that I can see. It's also annoying for software that I use that isn't available for mac. Most poeple wouldn't have that problem so not really a downside. Don't get me started on the one clicky button though. :)

Can you just buy a normal desktop/laptop and put OSX on it if you prefer it? Cheaper prices for better specs if you are replacing your comp. Or why not get OSX on your current comp? /0.02

In what ways is it easier to use? I only ever really use my gfs mac, it's grand but not easier that I can see. It's also annoying for software that I use that isn't available for mac. Most poeple wouldn't have that problem so not really a downside. Don't get me started on the one clicky button though. :)

I've found it works just as well as windows for pretty much every application I use. It hasn't crashed once in the two months I've had it, my windows machine crashed regularly. The one button click doesn't bother me at all. The two button mouse I had for my old laptop works fine with it so it's not an issue at all.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

No, it's because they've become industry standard over the years and mac-based software is what people in the industry have learnt how to use. Nothing to do with hardware, other than the fact that macs have traditionally been relatively standardized hardware-wise.

Plus the OS has historically been easier for non-technical people to get to grips with than operating systems that are more PC-associated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Can you just buy a normal desktop/laptop and put OSX on it if you prefer it? Cheaper prices for better specs if you are replacing your comp. Or why not get OSX on your current comp? /0.02

As in a PC desktop/laptop?

No you can't install OSX in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

...Don't get me started on the one clicky button though. :) ...
    Ctrl-clicking solves this or, if you have a MacBook (Pro), then two finger on the trackpad does the job nicely. I just got a MBP having used Windows and Linux for the past few years. It's good to see the other side and it amazes me how things 'just work'.

Price is the killer but not as bad if you're a student. Just be sure to go to an actual Apple Store when buying for the best deals.

I've found it works just as well as windows for pretty much every application I use. It hasn't crashed once in the two months I've had it, my windows machine crashed regularly. The one button click doesn't bother me at all. The two button mouse I had for my old laptop works fine with it so it's not an issue at all.:)
    That would be computer dependent, in ten years i've had about one or two crashes over 4 laptops and a desktop. Although people tend to crash windows more than another operating sytem. Linux might be best for this. If you have a mouse for a mac laptop it would be grand all right, it's when you don't it pisses me off.
    Soundman wrote: »

Apple keep it wrapped up for their products eh, suppose that's smart.
    ethernet wrote: »
    Ctrl-clicking solves this or, if you have a MacBook (Pro), then two finger on the trackpad does the job nicely. I just got a MBP having used Windows and Linux for the past few years. It's good to see the other side and it amazes me how things 'just work'.

Price is the killer but not as bad if you're a student. Just be sure to go to an actual Apple Store when buying for the best deals.
    I have used both those methods, it's just that I find them cumbersome/pointless. I suppose it's just me, I want to right click, not press a button and click or use two fingers, personal preference that I find it rather annoying. A mac laptop with two buttons is better so I think they should have that. :-)
    A lot of people express the same opinion.

Don't you only get a few percent off as a student? I tried looking it up, can't remember. I do remember comparing macs and my laptop when I bought it and getting my laptop at half the price of the mac laptop, why pay twice as much tbh. I would't mind them apart from the needless price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Soundman wrote: »

Actually you can.. Seeing as the apple products now run on intel chips, there's really no issues with it. There's ways of doing things. Google will tell you.

Why not? way overpriced for what it is, reason: apple logo
    You can get the exact same specs from Dell for about 1/2 the price, if not even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Ok so to summarise the thread;

For
    Always reliable and easy to use
    Most people who get one seem to swear by them and not want to go back to PC

Against
    More expensive for the same specs
    Bad screen(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

That would be computer dependent, in ten years i've had about one or two crashes over 4 laptops and a desktop. Although people tend to crash windows more than another operating sytem. Linux might be best for this. If you have a mouse for a mac laptop it would be grand all right, it's when you don't it pisses me off.

Apple keep it wrapped up for their products eh, suppose that's smart.

I have used both those methods, it's just that I find them cumbersome/pointless. I suppose it's just me, I want to right click, not press a button and click or use two fingers, personal preference that I find it rather annoying. A mac laptop with two buttons is better so I think they should have that. :-)
    A lot of people express the same opinion.

Don't you only get a few percent off as a student? I tried looking it up, can't remember. I do remember comparing macs and my laptop when I bought it and getting my laptop at half the price of the mac laptop, why pay twice as much tbh. I would't mind them apart from the needless price.
    I got 15% off in an Apple Store (in the UK). The salesperson said even employees don't get discounts as good. On top of that, he threw in an all-in-one printer and 3-year AppleCare all for just over £1,500. I was well impressed considering the MBP costs €2,200 without a discount here.

You are basically paying twice the price for an OS that you can just install on a machine half the price, if you want OSX that much.
    Macs are normal laptops, intel hardware, sold more because of the apple logo and OS.
    I got 15% off in an Apple Store (in the UK). The salesperson said even employees don't get discounts as good. On top of that, he threw in an all-in-one printer and 3-year AppleCare all for just over £1,500. I was well impressed considering the MBP costs €2,200 without a discount here.
    What specs is that, and why do you have to pay more if a mac is black? For 1900e it would want to be a beast! That's two and a half times the price of my laptop.
    15% was a very good deal btw, it is that much here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Actually you can.. Seeing as the apple products now run on intel chips, there's really no issues with it. There's ways of doing things. Google will tell you.

I meant legally with zero problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

You are basically paying twice the price for an OS that you can just install on a machine half the price, if you want OSX that much.

Not legally. And the installation breaks every time there's an update, or so I've read.
    Macs are normal laptops, intel hardware, sold more because of the apple logo and OS.

I use Macs because I like using Macs and I've used them for a long time. There's nothing I can't do on a Mac that I would need to do on any other platform except Unix and YES, I'm in the creative sector and NO I'm not a gamer.

Of course I like the OS, especially since OS X, but I'm not especially slavish to the brand.

Horses for courses.

Advertisement