Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Degsy wrote: »
    Are you sure?It looks like the remains of a lamp standard or a water hydrant too

I think that were supposed to look like a flower. :confused:

Definitely were litter bins, I remember them well.

Here's another one at the corner of Grafton St/Sth King St.

StephensGreenCentre1950.jpg

A sort of close up...

bruscar.jpg

spurious wrote: »
    Fantastic - I know a number of boys and girls will be putting that to good use next year in their local history projects for me.

Not sure but I think I posted this one before. Pic taken the same day.

5lamps1964a.jpg

And where we went to the pictures. An up to date pic of this scene would be nice to compare.

Plaza.jpg

And where the kids of Summerhill played -- the yards at the back of Summerhill in the 70s. Back of Lr Gardiner St straight ahead and that 'shed' to the left is the old turf depot.

TheYards.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Rashers wrote: »
    I think that were supposed to look like a flower. :confused:

Definitely were litter bins, I remember them well.

Here's another one at the corner of Grafton St/Sth King St.

StephensGreenCentre1950.jpg

A sort of close up...

bruscar.jpg

They look a little like those gas release things that you find all over Dublin

Punchbowl wrote: »
    They look a little like those gas release things that you find all over Dublin

Definitely bins. I fell off one once when I was a kid. Can you get a pic to compare?

The gas release thingies, are they like these? I think these are vents to prevent build up of sewer gas.

The year is 1969.

Bollards19691.jpg

Bollards1969.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Do you know that blonde girl then?

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    Do you know that blonde girl then?

Shhhhh.... the missus is near..... she might hear ya. :eek:

That blonde girl would be in her 50s now. :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Very risque for '69 (eh don't know if that came out right).
    See the car turning into parnell st.,outside the national bank(top picture)?
    That's an Austin1300 the same as what Basil Fawlty drove(and whacked with a tree branch).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

And where we went to the pictures. An up to date pic of this scene would be nice to compare.

Plaza.jpg

Is that where the waxworks was?

The first time I ever went to the movies in a real cinema rather than the school hall was in the Plaza Cinerama (as it was known then) on Granby Row, which is where the hotel is now. (101 Dalmations was the movie by the way!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

deswalsh wrote: »

The first time I ever went to the movies in a real cinema rather than the school hall was in the Plaza Cinerama (as it was known then) on Granby Row, which is where the hotel is now. (101 Dalmations was the movie by the way!)

Yes, its where the Wax Works was.

And mine my movie were there too, 'Digby' (the worlds biggest dog) in 1973.

humberklog wrote: »
    Very risque for '69 (eh don't know if that came out right).

Wha'!? :eek:

You're talkin' about decade of the micro mini skirt. She's very modestly dressed for the 60s. :D

• Advertisement

deswalsh wrote: »

Yep, and the Cinerama too.

Originally built in 1789 as a chapel, before its conversion into the Dorset Picture House in 1911. In around 1928 it was re-named Plaza Cinema.

In 1967 it was converted into a Cinerama theatre opening on 28th September 1967 with "Grand Prix". Closed on 28th July 1981, the former Plaza Cinema was converted into the National Wax Museum, it was closed and demolished in 2005 and hotel built on the site.

oldnnew.jpg

They replaced a beautiful building with a red and white lego brick!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Originally built in 1789 as a chapel........ ......... hotel built on the site
    When they demolished the wax works and excavated the site, there was a bit in the news about the remains of a church or church vaults being found but I didn't hear any more about it since.

When they demolished the wax works and excavated the site, there was a bit in the news about the remains of a church or church vaults being found but I didn't hear any more about it since.

And you won't.... the person who had it demolished (it was supposed to have been preserved behind cladding) is a person with some authority. 'Nuff said. :mad:

The pub across from it (in the older pic) O'Donohoe's.... or The Widda Donohoe's as it was known is where I had my first underage pint.

And you won't.... the person who had it demolished (it was supposed to have been preserved behind cladding) is a person with some authority. 'Nuff said. :mad:
    A certain member of the Upper House with a dodgy bit of thatch?

A certain member of the Upper House with a dodgy bit of thatch?

.....whose name rhymes with boney. ;)

.....whose name rhymes with boney. ;)
    Indeed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

A few videos of Dublin city centre back in 1985. I posted this in the classic cars section some time ago, but I guess they would be more fitting here. They are mainly of the Bombardier and Van Hool Atlantean buses that Dublin Bus had back in the day, but nevertheless, it may bring back memories from many of you lot.

One thing that strikes me from these videos is that no one ever used yellow boxes back then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Max_Damage wrote: »

One thing that strikes me from these videos is that no one ever used yellow boxes back then!

Everything changes, yet nothing changes - people still dont know how to use 'em!;)

Damn, there was some amount of smoke spewing out out from vehicles in those days!

I also like the ad for Dan air - £99 to Gatwick. Not bad at all for those days considering that wouyld have been there and back, and IIRC travel taxes were not around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

img0245ov8.jpg

img0246ff9.jpg

1. Corner Whitworth Rd/Drumcondra Rd?

2. Corner NCR/Dorset St?

Year: About 1925 or so?

• Advertisement

I'd say about 1910.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

1. Corner Whitworth Rd/Drumcondra Rd?

2. Corner NCR/Dorset St?

Correct on the locations but have no idea of the dates. I seen them in Drumcondra on Saturday so decided to take a pic of them and post them here :pac:

I'd say about 1910.

I agree. I hadn't taken into account the lack of damage to some of the buildings around the NCR junction which was the site of some fighing during 1916.... plus the lack of motorcars.

raheny red wrote: »
    Correct on the locations but have no idea of the dates. I seen them in Drumcondra on Saturday so decided to take a pic of them and post them here :pac:

Photos of photos? You did a great job there, thank you.

Any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

OMG no cars on Dorset Street... How I wish it was still like that instead of the normal rush hour traffic.... lol....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

at the begining of this thread there were some photos of finglas. anyone know where i could get copies of these. i would like copies of the old ones and take photos now from the exact same spot to see the difference.

i have been down to the old photograph place on the quays but they dont seem to have any photos of finglas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

irishbird wrote: »
    at the begining of this thread there were some photos of finglas. anyone know where i could get copies of these.

Right click, save as.

i have been down to the old photograph place on the quays but they dont seem to have any photos of finglas
    :confused::confused: That place closed a long time ago!

The National Library site is a good place to find old photos, manuscripts etc. But searching the site can be time consuming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The British Pathé films site has some snippets of old Dublin.

Advertisement