Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Swan Alley, Thomas Street, D8. Nice snap btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rashers wrote: »
    I have no idea where this is.... anyone?

the_heart_of_dublin.jpg
    That's Molyneux Yard off Thomas Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Where did the horse picture come from?

Reason I'm asking is that in the March edition of Q magazine, there is a photo taken by KT Tunstall of a horse in a side street in Dublin. It's not this photo, but comparing it, it could very well be the same lane and horse. If anyone has the issue, can they have a look and try to confirm? (page 28)

I would find it very weird if this particular scene could make it into two different photographs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ToyotaDyna

Wicklow Street in the 80s

wicklow-street-80s-2.jpg

Hi Rashers,

Nice photos.

I would guess the first picture was taken after 1990 because at around this time the dublin phone numbers were changed from 6 to 7 digits.

Have a look at the sign on the nearist building on the left :)

ToyotaDyna :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Exit wrote: »
    Where did the horse picture come from?
    <snip>
    I would find it very weird if this particular scene could make it into two different photographs.

I was sent it by someone who thought I could identify the alley for him. I couldn't.

But I can now. :D

• Advertisement

ToyotaDyna wrote: »
    I would guess the first picture was taken after 1990 because at around this time the dublin phone numbers were changed from 6 to 7 digits.

Thanks all who pointed out the date error. Now I know someone actually looks into my pics.

I like the Grafton Street one... the delivery van for Fry Cadbury..... the suspended street lighting.... and if I'm not mistaken that small knot of people outside Kodak seem to be interested in something on the opposite side of the street.... is that a garda over there?

I wonder who, if anyone, remembers the cafe in Grafton St that had a jukebox that played videos of the performer(s) as the record was playing. And that was long before we had VCRs and of course MTV. :D

Or Woolworths.... or the cinema that only showed newsreels and cartoons.

Them was the days! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's weird to see Grafton Street with cars on it. Looks pretty congested, even 50 years ago.

Comparing Henry St photos -- taken 30 years apart.

nowandthen.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

ToyotaDyna wrote: »

Now that's quality investigative skill Toyota. You should be tracking kiddyfiddlers for Interpol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I showed this thread to two Polish friends yesterday, who both said that old Dublin looked much nicer than modern Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Comparing Henry St photos -- taken 30 years apart.

nowandthen.jpg

I cant recall ever seeing potted plants and seats in Henry St! What year was that (I'm guessing 78 if the one on the left is this year)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

GraftonStreet1956.jpg

does anyone know what that flower pot type thing on the right is?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

left maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

sorry, left.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

That was just like a negative reality inversion. :D

Dunno, but there seem's to be a man growing out of it!.

Mairt wrote: »
    I showed this thread to two Polish friends yesterday, who both said that old Dublin looked much nicer than modern Dublin.

I would agree with them too.... to a point.

On the plus side most if not all of the old granite buildings, GPO, Bank of Ireland, Custom House etc are a lot cleaner. They used to be that dirty grey which looked really bad.

On the minus side we had a fine old Georgian city with streets laid out on the old medieval city (in general). In my opinion too many glass montrosities are springing up.... like warts on a beautiful face.

There was character to the old buildings too, and particularly the shop fascades.... imagine that older pic of Henry St without the garish signs.... then look at the glass box on the corner of the newer picture.

Anyone old enough to remember the Theatre Royal.... now look what replaced it, Hawkins House. Talk about the beauty and the beast!

I could go on but better not.

Instead here's Moore St in 1959. (looking towards Parnell St) Has the Ilac improved the look of the street?

moorest1959.jpg

The 'thing' in Grafton st?

It's a litter bin.

In my opinion too many glass montrosities are springing up....

I don't have a photo of it, but can get one tomorrow. But the mother and father of montrosities has to be the new house building on Dame St beside the Dame St. enterance to Dublin Castle.

1953 O'Connell Bridge. Dubs tend to christen every piece of street art/furniture with a witty name... like the Hags with the bags etc. Anyone know what that flower bed in the middle of the bridge was christened?

No one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No one?
    Was it the tomb of the unknown gurrier?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

O'Connell Street (around 1925, I think)56640.jpg

spurious wrote: »
    Was it the tomb of the unknown gurrier?

On the nose! :D

I love the way Dubs christen things like that their own way. There was a centerpiece on that flower bed, called the bowl of light.... an ugly plastic thing. Dubs called it The Thing... and flung it into the Liffey.

spurious wrote: »
    O'Connell Street (around 1925, I think

Great pic! You can see something of the aftermath of the Civil War.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Rashers
    Where was the 1st pic you posted of? The one you said had a famous landmark in it? It looks familiar but I can't place it.

carolmon wrote: »
    Rashers
    Where was the 1st pic you posted of? The one you said had a famous landmark in it? It looks familiar but I can't place it.

I thought no one was ever going to ask. :(

Here's the pic I posted. If you look careully you can see the shadow of the landmark.

1964-1.jpg

And here it is uncropped..... The 5 Lamps... 1964.

5lamps1964.jpg

And here it is uncropped..... The 5 Lamps... 1964.

Fantastic - I know a number of boys and girls will be putting that to good use next year in their local history projects for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

holy ****, now we've gotta identify them by their shadows!!
    That's really upping the ante

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The 'thing' in Grafton st?

It's a litter bin.

Are you sure?It looks like the remains of a lamp standard or a water hydrant too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Instead here's Moore St in 1959. (looking towards Parnell St) Has the Ilac improved the look of the street?

moorest1959.jpg[/QUOTE

Certainly not. The Illac also olbiterated a network small streets and laneways when it was dropped..

Advertisement