Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Degsy wrote: »
    I got my nose smashed in la Mirage courtesy of three good headbuts.After me and the bloke got thrown out

In the spirit of the thread and poor Degsy's experience I thought this cartoon was sort of appropriate.

crcap080516.gif

And to take us back to the thread...

1953. Dubs tend to christen every piece of street art/furniture with a witty name... like the Hags with the bags etc. Anyone know what that flower bed in the middle of the bridge was christened?

1953-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Rashers wrote: »
    But would you agree that if you look closely at them you can see the social as well as the visual changes in our city?

Like this picture of a shoe repair shop on Summerhill in the 60s.

leather.jpg

I don't want to be pedantic about your brilliant pics Rashers but I'm sure this one is from about 85/86. The graffiti gives it away somewhat but I remember it appearing in a book called 'The Urban Plunge' that came out about that time about a project sending d4 kids into the north inner city to stay for a few days with families.

There were some amazing pictures (well to look back at now anyway) of the area; in fact it was the first thing that came into my head when I saw the pics of Summerhill/Gardiner St.

I'll see if I can dig it out the next time I'm at home and scan them up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

latchyco wrote: »
    corner of Dame street /parliment street
    Apologies for being pedantic :o but it is the corner of Cork Hill and Parliament Street. Dame Street ends at Dr Barnardo Park to the east of the Royal Exchange/City Hall. Cork Hill is between Dame Street and Lord Edward Street. ;)

Cork House (the residence of Lord Cork) occupied that site until it was demolished to make way for the Royal Exchange in 1769.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

A bloke i used to work with owned the land where the white building is now.It used to be a tailor's shop but it was burnt down by people looking for protection money.Next door to it was a healthfood shop called Nature's Grace which according to him indulged in some bizzarre practises with thier food!

Ehh I'll probably regret this but I'm really nosy...........what kind of bizarre practices are you talking about?
    carol

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Rashers
    Dame St 1975 - is it Dev's funeral?

• Advertisement

latenia wrote: »
    I don't want to be pedantic about your brilliant pics Rashers but I'm sure this one is from about 85/86. The graffiti gives it away somewhat but I remember it appearing in a book called 'The Urban Plunge'

Thanks latenia. Think I have that book, if there's a picture on the cover of a girl standing in Lr Rutland St?

You might be right about the date of the picture. But I remember graffiti on Paddy's shop. He was one of the few that allowed kids to hang around without chasing them away... and then again his shop was on the sunny side of the street.

carolmon wrote: »
    Rashers
    Dame St 1975 - is it Dev's funeral?

Yep, that's who it was. The Long Fella.

Apologies for being pedantic :o but it is the corner of Cork Hill and Parliament Street. Dame Street ends at Dr Barnardo Park to the east of the Royal Exchange/City Hall. Cork Hill is between Dame Street and Lord Edward Street. ;)

Cork House (the residence of Lord Cork) occupied that site until it was demolished to make way for the Royal Exchange in 1769.

Hmmm.... this could make for interesting debate. I know that Cork Hill was (is?) further down as you say. But I think few Dubliner's ever refer to it as Cork Hill... even those who had businesses there.

For instance the shop that's third down from City Hall (in Dev's funeral pic) was a theatrical supplier... they sold greasepaint and all kinds of stuff... and advertised themselves as Gings of Dame Street. I think I have a photo of the shop somewhere, taken while they were in business. If I can find it I'll post it.

This is a great thread. :)

A bloke i used to work with owned the land where the white building is now.It used to be a tailor's shop but it was burnt down by people looking for protection money.Next door to it was a healthfood shop called Nature's Grace which according to him indulged in some bizzarre practises with thier food!

The site of that white building was actually in Middle Gardiner St before Summerhill was widened. It would be standing on the site of the De Luxe grocery shop.... aka Michael's... which was also a milk bar.

But the pub on the (old) corner I remember it as a pub I frequented, The Rose Bowl, owned and run by Christy Dooley. And next door was the old Cake Shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ulichmagee

some super photos folks, great thread OP
    Just wondering does anyone have any photos of the Liberties?- Meath Street, Thomas Street, The Coombe etc...very old part of Dublin
    Be interesting to see how much things have changed , in fact any of the Dublin 8 area !!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Thanks humberklog and Wishbone.

I love all of Dublin, but the Northside in particular... that's where me oul heart lies.

Some of those pics are scanned from various books, and you can see some on the National Library site too.

I often wonder how many realise the Georgian buildings were actually built in the 1700s and in fact were never pulled down but were reconditioned... until finally demolished.

I was born in one of the originals before they were reconditioned... less than an asses roar from the 27 Steps. Oh and I even remember the Steps being reconditioned too.

Does that mean I'm getting old? :eek:

Oh, and here's an even older pic taken at the back of Summerhill. The 27 Steps would be to the left of the pic and my grandfather owned the stable with the open door. He was the coalman. And no I wasn't even a glint in me daddy's eye when that pic was taken.

Note the lack of footwear.

1000.jpg

Is that pic not of the back of Grenville Street Flats(Hill Street). Thats where Im originally from??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

dancor wrote: »
    I hope not, I love the area as it is, although in 100 years I wont have a say :( Dont know if anyone remembers the old site where spar is, they look the same in the pics but about ten years ago there was a gas explosin (Insurance fraud) and it tottally destroyed the building, The builders did a good job making it look the same.

God I remember that!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

carolmon wrote: »
    Ehh I'll probably regret this but I'm really nosy...........what kind of bizarre practices are you talking about?
    carol

It was probably made up but he said he saw a kid mixing shiit with the nuts or something.I told him i didnt beleive him.Does anybody have Images OF Dublin-A Time Remembered by Bill Doyle?There's a photograph of me in that from 1988.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anybody know whats there now (eamonn nolan)

4048551819a6707928789l.jpg

Maddison wrote: »
    Is that pic not of the back of Grenville Street Flats(Hill Street). Thats where Im originally from??

For that to be the back of old Grenville Street the pic would have had to be taken in Temple Lane, and either the hill between very steep or the tenements to have been about 8 or more stories tall.

The street where the photo was taken is North Gloucester Place.. a lane leading from Lr. Gardiner St and emerging at the side of Rutland St school.

Behind the group but out of sight is the bottom of the 27 Steps.... the wall leads to where they end.

The tall tenements are Summerhill.

The stable with the open door was owned by my grandfather. He was the local coalman and I still have the bell he rang during his rounds.

The photographer would have had his back to to the back of this chapel (if that makes sense)..... the old tin chapel in Sean McDermott St (at that time named Gloucester Street) That's Our Lady of Lourdes chapel... replaced by the one that's on the same spot today, and in which I made my communion and (much later I hasten to add) was married.

TinChapel.jpg

anybody know whats there now (eamonn nolan)

Stephens Green Shopping Centre?

ulichmagee wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone have any photos of the Liberties?- Meath Street, Thomas Street, The Coombe etc...very old part of Dublin
    Be interesting to see how much things have changed , in fact any of the Dublin 8 area !!!!!!!!!!

A shop in James St, but don't know the year.

christy_burgess_45JamesSt.jpg

Kevin St about 1975

kevin-street.jpg

1948 Camden St. Is that alley still there?

1948CamdenSt.jpg

Stephens Green Shopping Centre?

'tis indeed

Wicklow Street in the 80s

wicklow-street-80s-2.jpg

wicklow-street-80s-1.jpg

More great pics Rashers. :)

The first one must have been taken after 1984! ;)

• Advertisement

Here's a rough 2008 comparison with no. 2.

wicklow-street-80s-11.jpg

WicklowStreet.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

wicklow-street-80s-11.jpg

WicklowStreet.jpg

It sure rains a lot down wicklow st way!

The first one must have been taken after 1984! ;)

Okay, I'm scratching my head now.... not even a mug of strong coffee helps.

Please take me out of my misery... how do you know?

(bet it's something staring me in the face now)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The reg on the Renault van is giving it away. But it looks a few year old.
    I would've put those pics in the early 90's. Going by the newly cobbled paveway and fancy new lamps and in the 2nd pic that looks like the back of a peugeot 106 which only came out in '91. (Or is it a talbot samba?)

Great!! Thanks for that.

And as Degsy noted... if going to Wicklow St.... bring an umbrella. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

:Dgreat board topic, keep it up, love the photos, thanks!!:D

The Telecom Eireann Renault van. Telecom Eireann was formed in 1984 from the old P&T. ;)

I don't know if both pics were taken on the same day but I suspect the 2nd one was taken after 1987. There is a clue there also!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

The Telecom Eireann Renault van. Telecom Eireann was formed in 1984 from the old P&T. ;)

I don't know if both pics were taken on the same day but I suspect the 2nd one was taken after 1987. There is a clue there also!

The clue has to be the reg plate on the peugeot, looks like an 89 or 87 maybe

Grafton St 1956 (I hope :D )

GraftonStreet1956.jpg

But......

I have no idea where this is.... anyone?

the_heart_of_dublin.jpg

• Advertisement

could it be merchants arch?

Advertisement