Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Dodge wrote: »
    I'm not saying they shouldn't pick Ryan, I'm just agreeing with your post about the lack of QBs in free agency, and if they don't get somebody Ryan may be forced to play from the off. Unless they dramtically improve that O line, he'd be destroyed. Without being harsh he's not too likely to learn much from the likes of Harrington etc either

Very true. Damned if you do damned if you dont. I cant wait to see what they do. what a mess they ended up in becuase of Vick. Idiot fooking them up but even worse they built their franchise around him. Going to be a long hard road for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Precociousg

Dodge wrote: »
    I'm not saying they shouldn't pick Ryan, I'm just agreeing with your post about the lack of QBs in free agency, and if they don't get somebody Ryan may be forced to play from the off. Unless they dramtically improve that O line, he'd be destroyed. Without being harsh he's not too likely to learn much from the likes of Harrington etc either
    I totally agree with you Dodge, every QB who started for Atlanta last season got dismantled, primarily because of the state of their offensive line, I think their tackles at one stage were comprised of a 7th round draft pick and a rookie. It would be suicide to throw Ryan in behind a line like that, his confidence would be shot after one season. Thats why I think they should pick Dorsey or Jake Long if theyre still on the board, improve the O and D lines first. Then get your Qb, even if you have to wait till next year!

I totally agree with you Dodge, every QB who started for Atlanta last season got dismantled, primarily because of the state of their offensive line, I think their tackles at one stage were comprised of a 7th round draft pick and a rookie. It would be suicide to throw Ryan in behind a line like that, his confidence would be shot after one season. Thats why I think they should pick Dorsey or Jake Long if theyre still on the board, improve the O and D lines first. Then get your Qb, even if you have to wait till next year!

Even if they draft O-linemen it will still take a minimum of 3 years for them to work well in any system unless they are Joe Thomas or now most likely Long. Thing is Long most likely will go before Atlantas pick and how does Dorsey help their offensive problem. Defensively they dont have a huge problem.

15 John Abraham ATL DE 32 TOP 15 Ranked in sacks

And Boley and Brooking in the Top 25 in Tackles.

If they can take long yes they should take him but if they cant they will still find quality linemen lower down. The likes of Long are rare breed guys who instantly command places so the next step is guys who will work well on the line with your other linemen. Even if they take Dorsey and dont take long whatever QB they get will still get minced. I dont know personally if I were Atlanta I would take Ryan and draft O-linemen further down now if Long was still on the board I would take him and not Dorsey and draft a QB lower down. I dont know I dont think Dorsey is their solution at all but thats just me.

Even if they draft O-linemen it will still take a minimum of 3 years for them to work well in any system unless they are Joe Thomas or now most likely Long. Thing is Long most likely will go before Atlantas pick and how does Dorsey help their offensive problem. Defensively they dont have a huge problem.

15 John Abraham ATL DE 32 TOP 15 Ranked in sacks

And Boley and Brooking in the Top 25 in Tackles.

If they can take long yes they should take him but if they cant they will still find quality linemen lower down. The likes of Long are rare breed guys who instantly command places so the next step is guys who will work well on the line with your other linemen. Even if they take Dorsey and dont take long whatever QB they get will still get minced. I dont know personally if I were Atlanta I would take Ryan and draft O-linemen further down now if Long was still on the board I would take him and not Dorsey and draft a QB lower down. I dont know I dont think Dorsey is their solution at all but thats just me.

Thats a fair argument, no question but I just think Matt Ryan is way overrated at the third pick, I think if they want to select Ryan they could trade down and he still might be on the board, its a really ordinary QB class this year! Just think guys like Dorsey, Chris and Jake Long are too good to pass on if youre Atlanta, just my opinion though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ryan certainly won't last below baltimore at 8. Possibly even the Chiefs would take him before that. I'd be amazed if Chicago don't take a Qb too

• Advertisement

Thats a fair argument, no question but I just think Matt Ryan is way overrated at the third pick, I think if they want to select Ryan they could trade down and he still might be on the board, its a really ordinary QB class this year! Just think guys like Dorsey, Chris and Jake Long are too good to pass on if youre Atlanta, just my opinion though!

Overrated to what though. What the Falcons need is quality on the O-line or QB simple fact. Matt Ryan made BC look like a national championship contending College at the start of the 2007 NCAA season and got them to the ACC Championship game. He played the back end of 2006 with a broken ankle and is a pure pocket passer. his leadership qualities are what have him as the top QB and if coached right in the NFL he will be up there with Manning and Brady. Look at BC over the last 2 years 2 average backs in Callender and Whitworth and a mediocre WR core. The best Quality of player to come out of BC other than a certain few to the NFL are Linemen they breed great Linemen thats it these days.. If you can find the video of the regular season game against VT BC down by 10 in the 4th QTR and Ryan shows his leadership skils and rallies them to a narrow win. If he played in the Big Ten or SEC or with USC everybody would be talking about him. Vic Carucci said it right 4 years ago on ESPN when he said that you need to be real quality as a player in College ball to be noticed outside the bigger colleges in skilled positions.

I cant wait to see what Ryan can do in the NFL whether its this year or in 2 or 3 years. Once he recieves the correct coaching to prepare him for the pros the guys will definitely be one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Matt Ryan is going to become a superstar in the NFL, he is underrated by most as he played with a broken ankle for almost the entire season. He had surgery on that and its now fine.
    I think the Falcons have to take him at no.3 if they get him, he could go at no.1 to the Dolphins, and there are plenty of teams that need a quarterback who would be willing to make big trade offs for Matt Ryan.
    Thankfully us Patriots are in no rush to sign a young quarterback.

A lot of people are talking about Long, Gholston and Dorsey being the first three picks, but I see Matt Ryan and Darren McFadden being in the top three picks. They are two very special athletes imo.
    And with the shortage of good quarterbacks in the nfl at the moment it just seems more likely that Ryan will top the draft.
    While there is a lot of exceptional running backs, McFadden is really special, he is the most exciting college player I have ever seen. The problem for him is that there are so many effective running backs in the nfl already, otherwise he would be no.1. At the end of the day the draft comes down to supply and demand, and when you weigh it up, there is a real shortage of qb's and defensive and offensive linemen all around the nfl at the moment.
    If you haven't got a chance to see him yet heres a link for some highlights.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FCfZoPGEFA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No way DMC wil go top 3, the fins have ronnie brown, and much bigger needs then Rb. The rams have Jackson, Falcons just got Turner. Even the Raiders are sorted at RB.

As a Raider I'll be gutted if we draft him, i dont rate him. Not too mention his questionable off-field "performances" aswell.

No way DMC wil go top 3, the fins have ronnie brown, and much bigger needs then Rb. The rams have Jackson, Falcons just got Turner. Even the Raiders are sorted at RB.

As a Raider I'll be gutted if we draft him, i dont rate him. Not too mention his questionable off-field "performances" aswell.[/quote

You might end up drafting him on a deal with some other franchise which would suit better than getting somebody you don't really need.
    Didn't see much of the Raiders last year, what do they need?

DE or LT. With us sign Tommy kelly we dont really need a DT, but I'd take Ellis if he was there.

I'm hoping one of the long's drops too 4th, or else we can trade with Dallas if DMC is still there. I dont rate Golshton either so I dont want him.

• Advertisement

Apparently the Raiders (Al Davis) really like Chris Long but I doubt he'll still be there at 4, Wouldn't be surprised if Oakland tried to trade their pick, undoubtedly somebody will be lookin to trade up if Mcfadden or Dorsey are still on the board!

Was just thinking that if I owned the Dolphins I would be planning for another bad season and hope to end up with the top pick again next year. As we all know the biggest name in Florida presently playing American Football is gonna be no.1 next year. It would make sense business wise and also for the future of the Dolphins.
    The only question I have is that I think I remember something about a team not being allowed to have the no.1 pick two years running. Is that right?
    If not the above would seem like the most sensible approach to me.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Was just thinking that if I owned the Dolphins I would be planning for another bad season and hope to end up with the top pick again next year. As we all know the biggest name in Florida presently playing American Football is gonna be no.1 next year. It would make sense business wise and also for the future of the Dolphins.
    The only question I have is that I think I remember something about a team not being allowed to have the no.1 pick two years running. Is that right?

Tim Tebow??? Alot of people dont think he will even enter the draft as a QB.

And who plans for a bad season it doesnt work on a financial sense or at any level. You say it would be best for the Future of the Dolphins and smart from a business point of view erm im going to disagree. No coach or organisation out of pride or respect will go with another season like that. And no sponsor is going to continue supporting a club with 2 terrible seasons in a row. And dont forget clubs depend on asses in seats and Dolphins fans patience are worn thin already. There are other ways to get the first pick if you are that desperate like trading up for it. Good thing you dont run a NFL club :D:D:D:D

what dolphin player is going to want the 1st pick again? It means there's a better chace of a player taking your spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Nobody wants to end up with the No 1 pick two years in a row, because it means you were the worst team in the league - two years in a row, but also given that the draft is essentially a crap shoot anyway, it means you get to pay some unproven(in NFL terms)college kid a guaranteed $30m to sign for you and you then get to do the same the following year. A team with a pick just a few slots later, only has to pay a fraction of the guaranteed money paid to the No 1 pick. This is the reason why it has become almost impossible for the team with the No 1 pick to trade it away, because nobody really wants the extra expense that goes with the top pick.

As a Raider I'll be gutted if we draft him, i dont rate him. Not too mention his questionable off-field "performances" aswell.[/quote

You might end up drafting him on a deal with some other franchise which would suit better than getting somebody you don't really need.
    Didn't see much of the Raiders last year, what do they need?

As another Raider fan, I also don't want McFadden as we have greater needs elsewhere and we still have to see what Michael Bush has to offer(assuming they don't take McFadden and trade Bush for extra picks). Our main problem last year and for several years before that, has been that we can't stop the run, a big problem with L. Tomlinson, Larry Johnson and Denver in the same division, we also need to get more pressure on opposing QBs. Kelly, Sands, G. Warren and W. Sapp even allowing for injuries couldn't get it done last year, so I have little confidence that Kelly, Sands, Warren and Joseph will do much better. My dream first pick would be Glen Dorsey, a DT that can stuff the run and pressure the QB, if he is gone then I'd be split between Chris Long or Sedrick Ellis. After the Raiders experiences with Robert Gallery, Mo Collins and Matt Stinchcomb, I'm wary of Jake Long, who some pundits have said lacks a bit athletically, which makes you wonder if he would succeed in a zone blocking scheme. It is also said that Jake Long is a better run blocker than a pass blocker, perhaps because what he has in power he lacks a bit in speed!

It will be interesting though to see how the other draft stories pan out, the Saints apparently are interested in trading up possibly as high as the second pick in order to get a top defender, presumably a lineman. While Kansas City are looking to trade DE Jared Allen reportedly for a round 1 and round 2 pick, with the Vikings having offered their first and third round pick so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

More that Jake Long would be a better RT than LT, wouldn't have to face as much speed rush. New Orleans will go to six i think, no higher. Raiders will find it tough to trade out, particularly after the hall trade which has most of the league (deservedly) laughing at them. He's the most overrated player in the league along with roy williams. Bizarre stuff going on in Oakland, cornerbacks are nothing without a pass rush and that's what the raiders are lacking. If a team picks Gholston ahead of them they're in trouble

Gholston is another player who is vastly over-rated I think. I'd take McFadden over him anyday. He much better suited too a 3-4 aswell. And the fact he isnt great against the run doesnt help but I have a bad feeling we take him. If Jared Allen leaves KC we might trade with the Pats if Gholston is there.

Since Jake Long is going 1 that leaves C. Long, Dorsey, and Ellis falling too Oakland. I'd take any of them. It makes no sense at all for us to trade McFadden. Fargas was excellent last year and we gave him a new contract, Bush is fit and healthy now and he has great potential, Rhodes did well when he played and again we gave him a ne contract. Lamont will be cut.

We missed Burgess alot last year in pass rushing. Chris long is the best pick, very good at pass rushing and run D too. The only problems with Ellis and Dorsey is both are suited better at UT position and since we gave a huge contract too TK to play there it would be stange to take either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Gholston is another player who is vastly over-rated I think. I'd take McFadden over him anyday. He much better suited too a 3-4 aswell. And the fact he isnt great against the run doesnt help but I have a bad feeling we take him.

I also think Gholston is over-rated, he wasn't being tipped as a top five pick until the combine in which he showed good speed, strength etc, but it seems that while he managed lots of sacks last year, most of them were recorded in just a handful of games, so maybe he took advantage of mismatches to pad his stats. I wonder how many players who move up the order due to their performances at the combine, actually end up being better players ? I'd much prefer if the Raiders judged players mainly on their playing record rather than flashy stats, unfortunately Al Davis loves the stats, hence the numerous world class sprinters who could hardly catch a cold, not talking about a football, need I mention Raquib (the Rocket) Ismail, Sam Graddy, Willie Gault or worst of them all, James Jett, a world class relay team but a poor bunch of wide receivers.

Another issue about the draft, has anyone noticed how all the draft pundits seem to cover their asses when they are writing about players, when they talking about the leading prospects they start off by saying they have good strength, speed, accuracy, etc and then they feel the need to find some flaw(in case the player is a massive bust in the NFL), so they say he lacks agility, finds it hard to change direction, goes down at the first tackle, has skinny legs/narrow trunk, makes poor decisions etc. Looking back aren't you curious what the experts said about the likes of Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Barry Sanders, L. Tomlinson etc before they were drafted ? Well with this in mind, the NFL website has a short video interview with Hall of Fame RB Marcus Allen( http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d807cea8b ) about his memories of the day he was drafted and they showed draft expert Paul Maguire talking about Allen and he said Allen was "not extremely fast", "fumbles like crazy" and he said "don't be surprised to see them(the team that drafts him) move this guy outside and play him as a wide receiver". A 74yd run for a TD in a Superbowl shows he had great football speed, over 12,000 rushing yards hardly showed a player that fumbled often as does 123 rushing TDs, while 6 pro bowl selections, a league MVP award and a Superbowl MVP award, hardly sounds like a player that it was suggested could be moved from running back to wide receiver. We might find the same this year, when some player that is drafted in the first round with some major question marks or in the lower rounds, presumably because he's too short, light, slow etc. shows that whatever these shortcomings, he can play pretty good football. Just let this player be selected by Oakland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

so is this live anywhere on tv/internet?

sky sports 3 8pm - 12, so just showing the first round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

cheers. didn't see it advertised or on my guide.

heyjude wrote: »
    Nobody wants to end up with the No 1 pick two years in a row, because it means you were the worst team in the league - two years in a row, but also given that the draft is essentially a crap shoot anyway, it means you get to pay some unproven(in NFL terms)college kid a guaranteed $30m to sign for you and you then get to do the same the following year. A team with a pick just a few slots later, only has to pay a fraction of the guaranteed money paid to the No 1 pick. This is the reason why it has become almost impossible for the team with the No 1 pick to trade it away, because nobody really wants the extra expense that goes with the top pick.

Do you know who is gonna be no.1 next year? Because I certainly do and I reckon most of the people on here do.

Chucky it seems almost certain that the Raiders are going for McFadden. Its a bit of a surprise but I really think they are getting the most talented player in the draft.

sky sports 3 pm - 12, so just showing the first round.

Just looking at my Sky Box starts at 8pm Irish Time on Sky Sports 3. Draft is at 3pm New York time so it seems yup only first 2 rounds on sky.

Chucky it seems almost certain that the Raiders are going for McFadden. Its a bit of a surprise but I really think they are getting the most talented player in the draft.

We dont need him though. It seem's Rams are taking Chris long. Thank god, if long was there at 4 and we took Mcfadden or Gholston I'd go crazy.

We dont need him though. It seem's Rams are taking Chris long. Thank god, if long was there at 4 and we took Mcfadden or Gholston I'd go crazy.
    I'm too lazy to go back through this thread but from what I remember you were saying that the Raiders need someone for defence. Its a surprise they would go for McFadden then, but I will say it again, he has star potential written all over him imo. I really think he is the best player in this years draft. While you might lose out on a decent defender by drafting him, there might be some deal going on in the background concerning one of your other halfbacks. I'd imagine someone has to be going if they draft McFadden and you have a lot of potential for big trade among your other halfbacks.

I'm too lazy to go back through this thread but from what I remember you were saying that the Raiders need someone for defence. Its a surprise they would go for McFadden then, but I will say it again, he has star potential written all over him imo. I really think he is the best player in this years draft. While you might lose out on a decent defender by drafting him, there might be some deal going on in the background concerning one of your other halfbacks. I'd imagine someone has to be going if they draft McFadden and you have a lot of potential for big trade among your other halfbacks.

He has bust written all over him. We were 6th in rushing last year, we dont need a RB at all. And none of other RB's are worth anything. Fargas had 1 good year, just got a big contract, no way is he going. Rhodes is good, but worth a 3rd at the most. Bush has done nothing in the nfl yet. Jordan is going to get cut anyway, so who would trade for him.

Considering a 70 year old women could rush for 100 yards against us it's crazy for us to draft a RB, but then again al davis is in charge.

He has bust written all over him. We were 6th in rushing last year, we dont need a RB at all. And none of other RB's are worth anything. Fargas had 1 good year, just got a big contract, no way is he going. Rhodes is good, but worth a 3rd at the most. Bush has done nothing in the nfl yet. Jordan is going to get cut anyway, so who would trade for him.

Considering a 70 year old women could rush for 100 yards against us it's crazy for us to draft a RB, but then again al davis is in charge.

Yeah, Davis seems to be the big problem for the Raiders, he just cannot keep his nose out of things and let a coach do his job.

• Advertisement

Yea saw that earlier, a trade down would be ideal allowing us to grab sederick elis and a few extra picks.

Problem is trades dont happen that often.

Advertisement